ADVERTISEMENT

Crean has coached his final game at IU

IU will likely be irrelevant for years to come
No reason for recruits to come and Indiana kids alone will not win championships in this era

Reactions: echs86
I've heard a lot of names mentioned but nothing concrete. Everyone has different ideas. The main name is obviously Donovan but everyone knows that's a long shot. The name I've heard the most is Alford, but it's far from certain. He would have a lot of support from people close to Glass.

Donovan is a good coach. However, I simply can't see a reason why he'd leave the thunder after one successful season. That isn't a quench of the thirst he had to try it out. Besides, he knows he can get a good college job any year he wants. I don't think it looks logical.

I really think Marshall is the best coach out there. He is a blue collar guy who can win with what he gets and he really really wants to win. His record is impeccable and he would fit in well in Bloomington. Whether he wants to leave, I don't know. But he would win big in Bloomington.

I've heard a lot of names mentioned but nothing concrete. Everyone has different ideas. The main name is obviously Donovan but everyone knows that's a long shot. The name I've heard the most is Alford, but it's far from certain. He would have a lot of support from people close to Glass.
That's consistent with what I'm getting. Donavan, Miller, Bennett, and Alford. Alford likely to end up with the job.

I know I've said this I don't know how many times, but at least it's finally over. Crean has coached his last game at IU. Everything I've been sharing will be made official soon.
I hope you are right, but I really think Glass should go too. The Football Coaches so-called mismanagement was also handled poorly. IU needs a serious housecleaning.

On Alford: If it is Alford, I will support him. I know he understands basketball and understands defense and fundamentals and understands working for good shots. I also think he relies (in a way in - similar to Crean) on talent to carry him. I don't think the Ball clan would be well received in Bloomington, but when he can bring in the talent he has now (including Wilkes), I think he could potentially check the box that I had hoped Crean might check, namely: Not super great, but get talent consistently and win because of it.

I've always said, if a coach can do that, I can enjoy it. I'd rather see a team playing together and building each year with senior leaders. But if we get Wilkes and Leaf every year, that could be a lot of fun.

Alford, I am sure, could still open doors in the state. And if he has trouble, all he has to do is get Lewis or Bailey or Guyton or G. Graham on staff. But I do believe strongly that the Alfords could bring in the talent to win.

That's insane.

Go get Chris Collins. Tonight.

On Alford: If it is Alford, I will support him. I know he understands basketball and understands defense and fundamentals and understands working for good shots. I also think he relies (in a way in - similar to Crean) on talent to carry him. I don't think the Ball clan would be well received in Bloomington, but when he can bring in the talent he has now (including Wilkes), I think he could potentially check the box that I had hoped Crean might check, namely: Not super great, but get talent consistently and win because of it.

I've always said, if a coach can do that, I can enjoy it. I'd rather see a team playing together and building each year with senior leaders. But if we get Wilkes and Leaf every year, that could be a lot of fun.

Alford, I am sure, could still open doors in the state. And if he has trouble, all he has to do is get Lewis or Bailey or Guyton or G. Graham on staff. But I do believe strongly that the Alfords could bring in the talent to win.

The Balls were going to UCLA regardless of Alford. They are not going anywhere but UCLA, doesn't matter who the coach is. Alford was merely the human breathing body with a whistle and A UCLA coach shirt.

Reactions: echs86
He was rebuilding. He gets three throw away years.

No, he wasn't rebuilding and never has, yet despite that he has done worse than Crean has. No Final fours, Crean has one. No Elite 8's. Twice a top 3 seed couldn't get out of first weekend, no Big Ten titles (Crean has 2). He is a downgrade

He's done less in more years than Crean has, that is why. All without ever having to rebuild, either.
For the rest of your brethren here I sincerely hope you're a really good troll, or young enough to not understand Indiana's place in the pecking order.

In my opinion, and I'm an admitted outsider, most of Crean's wounds during the rebuild were self inflicted. He didn't have to go nuclear and start from scratch. The sanctions weren't that heavy.

Crean tried to play new Sheriff, biggest dick, in town and it back fired.

He took what should have been one subpar year and made it into a three year debacle. Instead of big dick Sheriff, he found out he was a little dick Deputy.

No, he wasn't rebuilding and never has, yet despite that he has done worse than Crean has. No Final fours, Crean has one. No Elite 8's. Twice a top 3 seed couldn't get out of first weekend, no Big Ten titles (Crean has 2). He is a downgrade
This is true, but I think he is hitting his stride. He also answers interview questions.

Crean either doesn't know what you know, or is a damn good sell. He sure didn't sound like a coach that knows he's on his way out.

No offense, but I can't imagine a scenario where you'd know and he wouldn't.

Of course he could have been lying/faking the offseason plans. But man...
Maybe he's playing hard-to-get.

31-og.gif

Greg Tonagel from Indiana Wesleyan was mentioned in another post. Google him. Has some great credentials...

I sure hope fpeaugh is right. Unfortunately we have the worst AD in the country and it looks like Crean is going nowhere.

Reactions: Five Banners
Donovan, Marshall, Miller, Bennett, little Miller. That should be the list and I doubt it goes any farther than that.

I know that fpeaugh has been saying it will be an elite coach but Stevens seems like a total pipe dream and Donovan is probably unlikely. Those are the only 2 elite coaches who have been mentioned. I'm hoping for Marshall.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Crean either doesn't know what you know, or is a damn good sell. He sure didn't sound like a coach that knows he's on his way out.

No offense, but I can't imagine a scenario where you'd know and he wouldn't.

Of course he could have been lying/faking the offseason plans. But man...
What do expect him to say right after the game. it is not like he would come out sand say that he was not coming back.

Glad the horrible season is over, but still unsure who I want.

I know I've said this I don't know how many times, but at least it's finally over. Crean has coached his last game at IU. Everything I've been sharing will be made official soon.[/

No, as usual, you are wrong! Cream will be at IU, along with Glass, several more years. You can take that to the bank. Or, Crean can. LOL!

I am not disagreeing with you. Just sharing what I heard. I am thinking Glass swung and missed with Marshall, Donovan etc. but just a guess. I think boosters demanded change and they got the best they could get. Hopefully, info is wrong.
No they didn't if they hire Alford, just took the easy way out. It's time to act like a big boy program and go get the right guy.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Have any idea when it would be announced.

I know we had a lot of battles over Crean though the last few years but I have now seen that Crean is no better than a sweet 16 coach.
Nope but who I'm hearing it from would shock me if they are wrong.

I am not disagreeing with you. Just sharing what I heard. I am thinking Glass swung and missed with Marshall, Donovan etc. but just a guess. I think boosters demanded change and they got the best they could get. Hopefully, info is wrong.
I've heard Archie Miller is the guy, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT