ADVERTISEMENT

Stat of the day: Don Fischer's 50th season

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
With over 2100 Indiana basketball and football game's called on the radio, Indiana's legendary voice Don Fischer center's his 50th season at Indiana.

The Illinois native has always proclaimed the 1976 season to be his favorite, and for good reason.

I know I can say that his voice is truly magical to me, as I grew up hearing more games by radio than on TV, and he has always been there as long as I can remember:

"Give goes to Thompson, right up the middle! He breaks one tackle...breaks another, spin move and is finally brought down.....But not before picking up another 12 yards, and that will be first down Indiana with the ball resting in Michigan State territory."

"Here's Alford....he eye's he flies....he hits!"

"Bailey brings the ball up the floor.....dribbles right side to Cheaney. Calbert penetrates baseline and oooh....a nifty feed inside to Henderson. Henderson puts it up an in and Alan now with nine points. Indiana's lead grows to 15."

"Here's Fife....over to Kyle Hornsby. Hornsby pumpfakes. Back to Coverdale. Cloverdale resets the offense....10 on the shot clock....pass inside to Jeffries, he drives...kicks out to Moye. Moye in the corner...skip pass to Hornsby.... three on the way....Good! And with two seconds left on the shot clock Indiana finds Hornsby for yet another 3. And IU takes the lead once again with 1:49 remaining and a timeout now by Illinois.!"

Non-bball but I counted his 50 years of football games and he has called more than half of IU’s football losses. 700+ losses total and he’s called like 358 of them.

Unmatched in his profession.

Indiana fans are exceptionally fortunate.

can paint a picture using words unlike anyone else I have heard.

With over 2100 Indiana basketball and football game's called on the radio, Indiana's legendary voice Don Fischer center's his 50th season at Indiana.

The Illinois native has always proclaimed the 1976 season to be his favorite, and for good reason.

I know I can say that his voice is truly magical to me, as I grew up hearing more games by radio than on TV, and he has always been there as long as I can remember:

"Give goes to Thompson, right up the middle! He breaks one tackle...breaks another, spin move and is finally brought down.....But not before picking up another 12 yards, and that will be first down Indiana with the ball resting in Michigan State territory."

"Here's Alford....he eye's he flies....he hits!"

"Bailey brings the ball up the floor.....dribbles right side to Cheaney. Calbert penetrates baseline and oooh....a nifty feed inside to Henderson. Henderson puts it up an in and Alan now with nine points. Indiana's lead grows to 15."

"Here's Fife....over to Kyle Hornsby. Hornsby pumpfakes. Back to Coverdale. Cloverdale resets the offense....10 on the shot clock....pass inside to Jeffries, he drives...kicks out to Moye. Moye in the corner...skip pass to Hornsby.... three on the way....Good! And with two seconds left on the shot clock Indiana finds Hornsby for yet another 3. And IU takes the lead once again with 1:49 remaining and a timeout now by Illinois.!"
Don still is very sharp mentally as a man in his mid 70's. I wonder if he takes anything for it or is just a guy who lucked out with genetics. What is that drug that people for memory? I can't remember......Maybe Ginko Biloba.

I believe that back in the day, Don used to chain smoke. In the 70s, it was perfectly fine to smoke in the press box. There is a story that during the 1979 game in Ann Arbor, Fisch became so excited that the lit cigarette fell out of his mouth and onto his pants, burning them in the process.
Fisch got better and better with time. My biggest complaint early in his career was that he’d get so animated calling a play that you would hear the play call and then just some incoherent screaming. It took a frw seconds for him to give the result of the play.
He still does it to some extent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT