ADVERTISEMENT

Crean has coached his final game at IU

I'm not sure how you can bring a coach back to IU when the program can't host a home game due to reasons they are trying to dance around publicly.

how can a program improve in a situation like that?

It seems to me if the decision to release Crean was in limbo before the N.I.T., I think a case can be made that there was more than $4m worth of damage done to the program in the last 3 days. Not to mention I'm not sure how you can recruit when a program doesn't want to host a home game of a nationally televised tournament.

As an outside observer - that's about as bad as it can get

I'm not sure how you can bring a coach back to IU when the program can't host a home game due to reasons they are trying to dance around publicly.

how can a program improve in a situation like that?

It seems to me if the decision to release Crean was in limbo before the N.I.T., I think a case can be made that there was more than $4m worth of damage done to the program in the last 3 days. Not to mention I'm not sure how you can recruit when a program doesn't want to host a home game of a nationally televised tournament.

As an outside observer - that's about as bad as it can get
This post is on the mark. I get why Glass felt forced to do this, but it shows the state of things in a way that can only be addressed via leadership change. If Glass can't do it, his seat will warm considerably.

Some of you guys are in for a rude awakening.

Go Hoosiers
We've had 9 years of rude awakenings. It's time for a change or support for the program will deteriorate significantly. Moving a game away from Bloomington is a clear sign of that, and it's only the start. Glass may not want to fire Crean, but failing to do so and finding a top flight replacement will endanger his position, too, and he'll wisely and predictably toss his friend onto the fire to preserve himself.

Reactions: russelltodd
Some of you guys are in for a rude awakening.

Go Hoosiers
Well if he is back you will probably be pretty lonely because nobody will care about the basketball program. I guarantee that the attendance will only get worse than it was the last month of this season. TV rating will probably go down for IU game if he is retained. If Glass has any kind of sense to him he has to make a change.

Reactions: outlawyer
Like a soldier preparing for battle, I've been prepping my mind for months. Bring it on. I'm fully braced.
All of us here back in the day remember how all the insiders had Davis being fired the year before he was. Having pretty much been gone from here since we hired a known cheater, it is amazing how similar the board is to 2005/6.

All of us here back in the day remember how all the insiders had Davis being fired the year before he was. Having pretty much been gone from here since we hired a known cheater, it is amazing how similar the board is to 2005/6.

I went to bed late one night giddy with the news of Davis leaving for Tulane and the assistants cleaning out their offices. Woke up the next day and...nope.

I went to bed late one night giddy with the news of Davis leaving for Tulane and the assistants cleaning out their offices. Woke up the next day and...nope.
Flash forward to Crean heading to Missouri. Seriously, absolutely nothing has changed.

Not saying I agree with it, but I am hearing Alford as soon as UCLA season is over. Money has been raised for his 7.8M buyout. This from source with deep and long time program ties.

Not saying you're not correct, just wondering how that pitch went. Here's how I see it going in my head:

"Hey Mr. & Mrs. Rich Booster. We're trying to raise money to replace our basketball coach. It's going to take $7.8 million to get it done. Can we put you down for $250K? You'll be happy to know we're going after Steve Alford! You remember Steve, don't you?"

Rich Booster: "Yeah, I remember Steve. Helluva ballplayer. But isn't his record about the same or slightly worse than Crean's?"

"Pay no attention to that. HE will be able to recruit Indiana."

Rich Booster: "That's nice, but has he ever been past the Sweet 16?"

"Well no. Did I mention he's Steve Alford? A former Indiana Mr. Basketball?"

Rich Booster: "That's fine, but how many times has he been to the tournament in his career?"

"Nine times!! Can I put you down for the $250K?"

Rich Booster: "In how many seasons?"

"Twenty Two. But we're getting into the weeds here. Let's get back to that buyout."

Rich Booster: "Hasn't Crean been to the NCAA Tournament 9 times? And in 18 years? And with at least 1 Final Four?"

"Well yes, but he didn't play at IU did he? And he can't recruit Indiana anymore! So how about helping us on that buyout? Did I mention it was Steve Alford? Former IU All-American?"

Rich Booster: "So you want me to give you $250K to help bring a new coach who's record is about the same as the current coach? Just because he went to IU?"

"Steve Alford. It's Steve Alford. You're investing in our return to greatness!"

Rich Booster: "No, it sounds like you want me to trade a Kia for a Hyundai and pay an additional $250K for the privilege of doing so. Get out of my house. And don't come back until you can sell me a Ferarri or a Porsche."

Well if he is back you will probably be pretty lonely because nobody will care about the basketball program. I guarantee that the attendance will only get worse than it was the last month of this season. TV rating will probably go down for IU game if he is retained. If Glass has any kind of sense to him he has to make a change.

Nobody, Scott? Such hyperbole from you and others. You can't guarantee anything. Look at this board last year as proof. How many of here predicted after the Duke game that IU was dead, attendance over, would not even make the NIT. Fast forward a few months, we were Big Ten champions (again), beat Kentucky, went to the Sweet 16. Case in point, you and no one else here can guarantee a damn thing.

You seem to want to make a change for change sake. So many of you are filled with emotion, which is the worst time to make a decision.

Rude Awakening for some of you. Common sense for the rest of us. You don't fire a guy with the injuries we had this year, and coming off our second Big Ten championship in a handful of years. Bad form, bad look, and diminishes candidates wanting to come anyway. He stays and should stay. Cuban, SI, ESPN, so many others have it right. But the basement dwellers here, they have to type them up some threads. LOL

Rude Awakening for some of you. Common sense for the rest of us. You don't fire a guy with the injuries we had this year, and coming off our second Big Ten championship in a handful of years. Bad form, bad look, and diminishes candidates wanting to come anyway. He stays and should stay. Cuban, SI, ESPN, so many others have it right. But the basement dwellers here, they have to type them up some threads. LOL

My rude awakening is that IU has become just another program. 66-60 in the Big 10 the last 7 years. The fact that there is an IU fan who says, yep, looks good to me, says a ton about where our program is.

IU has a choice here. Get a new coach and revitalize the program. Or risk having a season next year that will make this one look like a pleasure. It really is that simple.

That injury line is so played out. Crean will not be IU's coach next year! That is "Common Sense"

Wow
Nobody, Scott? Such hyperbole from you and others. You can't guarantee anything. Look at this board last year as proof. How many of here predicted after the Duke game that IU was dead, attendance over, would not even make the NIT. Fast forward a few months, we were Big Ten champions (again), beat Kentucky, went to the Sweet 16. Case in point, you and no one else here can guarantee a damn thing.

You seem to want to make a change for change sake. So many of you are filled with emotion, which is the worst time to make a decision.

Wow! 9 years of mediocrity and you think that is ok-
I wouldn't hire you to run anything- and pay you millions to do that

Clearly IU AD and president do not believe in excellence
Sad. Illinois, Missouri etc have higher demands
Why not just move to the Horizon league, give out trophies to all students and athletes and call it a day

That injury line is so played out. Crean will not be IU's coach next year! That is "Common Sense"

Agreed. I'm so tired of the injury excuse. All teams deal with injuries. Look at what Duke and Michigan State dealt with this year.

CTC has demonstrated in nine years he is incapable of instructing, coaching and holding players accountable with regard to defense, valuing the ball and running a viable offense. That has not changed since 2008.

McHoop

The underlying problem is that IU is run by people who think like you. As such, we'll be losers and also-rans. Congratulations. Enjoy the clown show.

No, you fire a guy for padding his record with absolute bull shit games in the pre conference. Who does make the Sweet 16 a few times, but then follows that up with such abysmal performances that on a four year average he is no better than the head of the 8th best program in his conference all while collecting a Top 10 to 15 salary in the country.

Fred Glass is a damn idiot if he continues to pay this money for these results. Furthermore, we are not in a position to fire or retain. The question is fire or extend because failure to extend is just setting him up to fail down the road if he is retained. You are delaying the inevitable at that point and continuing to hemorrhage fans and reputation at the same time. Crean did raise us up from Sampson. Why wait until he has sunk us back to those levels to make a change, his trend is down.

Delusional is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Last edited:
Mediocrity matters! It's like a C+ is the new A for more and more people who claim to be fans but are willing to settle for so much less than IU's potential. What a waste.

Reactions: russelltodd
Agreed. I'm so tired of the injury excuse. All teams deal with injuries. Look at what Duke and Michigan State dealt with this year.

CTC has demonstrated in nine years he is incapable of instructing, coaching and holding players accountable with regard to defense, valuing the ball and running a viable offense. That has not changed since 2008.

McHoop

Ahh yes, but OUR injuries matter. Just like having to play a home game in the NIT during spring break was too much to ask of our special group. Other schools can play under those horrific circumstances, but not us. So, learn to deal with it. Injuries and youth will always mean a losing record under Crean, and it's acceptable because we don't devalue our program by making comparisons to how other programs deal with their misfortune.

Reactions: MaxCoke

Awesome post! Sweet 16! We should make rings for that huge accomplishment. Wait. What?

If this was fact there would be either an announcement or real leaked information by a reliable reporter. There is no decision yet.
Wrong. Decision has already been made. Imo the delay is meant to bridge the gap between when crean is fired and new coach hired. I'm guessing Monday or Tuesday it will be announced after Dayton is out-or ucla but I'm hoping for Miller

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT