ADVERTISEMENT

COVID RESET

aajohn2000

All-American
Apr 12, 2012
North Carolina
So, we are now 3 years removed from the largest disruption and societal change in our lifetimes. Well, mine at least and I am 46. Many suffered and even worse, perished. Many are still suffering either financially, mental health, etc. Thought I'd recap the things we were told and/or implied by our gov't / health officials about Covid that later were determined to be false. Feel free to add to the list as I am sure I will miss something.

1) If you get the vaccine, you cannot get the virus: False
2) If you have had covid, you still need the vaccine to have immunity: False
3) The virus did not come from a lab but occurred naturally in a Wuhan wet market: False
4) If you keep getting boosted, you will be immune to getting the virus: False
5) If you wear a mask it will keep you from spreading and/or getting the virus: False
6) People who receive the vaccine cannot die from the virus: False
7) Lockdowns were effective in combatting the virus: False

Am I missing anything? Look forward to the wave of hate and aggression and personal attacks. Try and attack the statements as being true and not false vs attacking the poster. Have a great day and thank God this virus is in the rear view mirror and that in the event we are ever faced with another situation involving a virus, we learn from it and apply those learnings for the betterment of society.

I don’t have the time to dig into this right now, but I will say almost none of these statements are absolutes or conclusively proven 100% false. There are degrees of accuracy to all of them, for the most part.

Vaccines and other mitigating efforts more than likely did slow the spread of COVID. Obviously there were things that would have been done differently in hindsight, but the idea that everything you listed was a total waste of time and not effective is kind of disingenuous.

Last edited:
I don’t have the time to dig into this right now, but I will say almost none of these statements are absolutes or conclusively proven 100% false. There are degrees of accuracy to all of them, fir the most part.

Vaccines and other mitigating efforts more than likely did slow the spread of COVID. Obviously there were things that would have been done differently in hindsight, but the idea that everything you listed was a total waste of time and not effective is kind of disingenuous.
That is fair. My beef is that the whole "sliding scale" argument of how true those statements were (and let's be honest, the sliding scale is closer to them all being mostly false) wasn't taken into account when we were handing out "Herman Cain Awards", shuttering businesses, locking people in their homes, firing people for questioning, and generally harassing those who were "mostly right" on that sliding scale "in hind sight".

The people who were mostly wrong were astronomical dickheads about COVID. They deserve all the blow back.

So, we are now 3 years removed from the largest disruption and societal change in our lifetimes. Well, mine at least and I am 46. Many suffered and even worse, perished. Many are still suffering either financially, mental health, etc. Thought I'd recap the things we were told and/or implied by our gov't / health officials about Covid that later were determined to be false. Feel free to add to the list as I am sure I will miss something.

3) The virus did not come from a lab but occurred naturally in a Wuhan wet market: False
5) If you wear a mask it will keep you from spreading and/or getting the virus: False

Am I missing anything? Look forward to the wave of hate and aggression and personal attacks. Try and attack the statements as being true and not false vs attacking the poster. Have a great day and thank God this virus is in the rear view mirror and that in the event we are ever faced with another situation involving a virus, we learn from it and apply those learnings for the betterment of society.

9/11 was tough but my everyday life didn't change much after 9/11. I still went to work the next day. Yeah there were some extra security measures that were put in place but nothing comes close to the COVID response. Nothing.
Well, we know what life is like without COVID but do you really remember the world pre 9/11?

Thought I'd recap the things we were told and/or implied by our gov't / health officials about Covid that later were determined to be false.
Does "our government" include our then-president? I would think so, so I'll add to the list:

• "One day it will disappear, like a miracle."
  • "It will go away when the weather gets warmer."
  • "It'll be gone by Easter."
  • "it's like the flu."
  • It's one person coming in from China."
  • "We have 15 people and within a couple of days it's going to be down close to zero."
  • "The virus dies quickest in sunlight. Could we bring light inside the body?"
  • "I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning?"
  • "It's going to go away, hopefully at the end of the month (March 2020). And, if not, hopefully it will be soon after that."
  • "It's dying out." (June 2020, just before the deadly, national summer spike).
  • "It's going to disappear, and I'll be right."

Yeah. I lived half my life in that world.
Hmm. Not that I'm disagreeing but I tihnk COVID will be more short term than the ripples still shimmering from 9/11.

I see COVID as a disruption to normalcy. 9/11 was a new normal altogether.

Reactions: IUINSB and NPT
Well, we know what life is like without COVID but do you really remember the world pre 9/11?
I would personally say that Covid had a much larger short-term affect on society in general across the world, but we are generally working our way out from those issues, and they will eventually go away.
9/11, while certainly resulting in a lot less loss of life (even if you do consider all of the deaths associated with ISIS and the associated wars in Iraq / Afghanistan), was a bit more of a world-order change that will outlast Covid. The fight against Islamic terrorism is something we are going to be dealing with for another 50 years minimum, if not in perpetuity.
(Edit: lars beat me by a minute...)

I don’t have the time to dig into this right now, but I will say almost none of these statements are absolutes or conclusively proven 100% false. There are degrees of accuracy to all of them, for the most part.

I never said anything was a total waste of time. I am simply pointing out statements made and being true or false. We were told early on that if you were vaccinated, for example, you could not contract covid. That was then and is still now a false statement. From a gov't and health leadership perspective and with the benefit of hindsight, I would give our leadership a D on how it was managed both from a strategy perspective and communications perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
I thought about that. But I am not sure that 9/11 had the level of impact to everyone in the world that Covid has had. 9/11 is very near and dear to me and personal. Like so many. But I do not think it had the impact on the entire world that Covid has had. Particularly Economically & Socially. Regardless, 9/11 and Covid are at the top of most impactful things to happen to society since I've been born.

I would personally say that Covid had a much larger short-term affect on society in general across the world, but we are generally working our way out from those issues, and they will eventually go away.
9/11, while certainly resulting in a lot less loss of life (even if you do consider all of the deaths associated with ISIS and the associated wars in Iraq / Afghanistan), was a bit more of a world-order change that will outlast Covid. The fight against Islamic terrorism is something we are going to be dealing with for another 50 years minimum, if not in perpetuity.
(Edit: lars beat me by a minute...)
I still don't see 9/11 having that much effect on almost everyone's day to day life that covid has. It didn't change or at least not for more than a few weeks how we went about our lives. Whether because directly of covid or not it brought the changes. Restaurants, grocery stores ............It was the big thing to have 24 hr stores now you are hard pressed to find any. It is funny how in a sense we regressed , back before the huge stores ordering groceries and delivery was a thing. We went to 24 hr huge stores and now back to what was before. Online is a lot and it was inching that way and maybe just hastened but it has changed a lot of business that I didn't see any change resulting from 9/11. Maybe in NYC it did more but not the country as a whole.

Does "our government" include our then-president? I would think so, so I'll add to the list:

• "One day it will disappear, like a miracle."
  • "It will go away when the weather gets warmer."
  • "It'll be gone by Easter."
  • "it's like the flu."
  • It's one person coming in from China."
  • "We have 15 people and within a couple of days it's going to be down close to zero."
  • "The virus dies quickest in sunlight. Could we bring light inside the body?"
  • "I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning?"
  • "It's going to go away, hopefully at the end of the month (March 2020). And, if not, hopefully it will be soon after that."
  • "It's dying out." (June 2020, just before the deadly, national summer spike).
  • "It's going to disappear, and I'll be right."
Yes. Add these to the list.

I thought about that. But I am not sure that 9/11 had the level of impact to everyone in the world that Covid has had. 9/11 is very near and dear to me and personal. Like so many. But I do not think it had the impact on the entire world that Covid has had. Particularly Economically & Socially. Regardless, 9/11 and Covid are at the top of most impactful things to happen to society since I've been born.
Might be right though I'd hedge on teh economically part.

"Saved 10's of millions of lives". These statements are not provable. It's the same thing now as it was then. The bottom line is no one knows how many lives were saved because the data assumes that someone who had the vaccine only lived because they were vaccinated. The truth is, no one one knows if they would have died had they not been vaccinated. Further, by the time mass distribution of vaccines were given, the milder versions of the virus were spreading. But hey, if they saved 10's of millions of lives, that's fantastic!

1. never heard this
2, You have twisted the narrative
3. You may have gotten that one right, no conclusion yet
4, Never heard that
5. Never heard that
6. Never heard that
7. That is true as worded.

I don't know where you get your news, but I reccomend expanding your sources.

You might be better off listing facts than your opinions masquerading as facts.
Zeke..........I recall those statements being made. I am sure you do as well. Every single figure head blurted out stupid statements to mislead the general public. Trump did it. Biden did it. Put political affiliations to the side and just focus on "leadership". Stupid, irresponsible and FALSE statements were made. And many of them, particularly the first 3, caused a substantial divide in our nation. Just look at @Bowlmania 's list. Assuming all those statements were made, what a catastrophe of leadership and how it was handled and communicated to us. Horrible leadership.

Might be right though I'd hedge on teh economically part.
This would be a great debate and study. It's been so long, I do not really recall a significant financial impact of 9/11. The housing crisis, now that's another story. Covid caused a complete disruption to supply chain, historical inflation, people working remote which leads to disruption of metro areas and occupancy rates of commercial real estate, and on and on and on. Housing values skyrocketed due to the disruption in supply chain and people moving. This is exacerbated by the housing crisis and not making enough homes coming out of the crisis. But again, it would be very interesting to have a study done comparing the financial impact of both events.

Zeke..........I recall those statements being made. I am sure you do as well. Every single figure head blurted out stupid statements to mislead the general public. Trump did it. Biden did it. Put political affiliations to the side and just focus on "leadership". Stupid, irresponsible and FALSE statements were made. And many of them, particularly the first 3, caused a substantial divide in our nation. Just look at @Bowlmania 's list. Assuming all those statements were made, what a catastrophe of leadership and how it was handled and communicated to us. Horrible leadership.
I deleted. And I do believe someone made all of those statements. But there’s a difference in lying , and some of those may have been, and science changing as we learn more.

I deleted. And I do believe someone made all of those statements. But there’s a difference in lying , and some of those may have been, and science changing as we learn more.
I don't disagree and you are emphasizing my point. Making a false scientific statement is one thing. I get that science evolves. So, if the science isn't absolute and proven to be, I don't understand why the statement would be made and not positioned as "It's our feeling that this is the case, but we are still learning and cannot state this as absolute". In other words, just don't make that statement. Perhaps that's unreasonable. But so many times when statements were made it always irritated me because at a minimum, it was very misleading and caused people to lose faith in what we were being told and accelerated a divide that was already present and through it into turbo mode. Politicians lying about it should be criminal.

This would be a great debate and study. It's been so long, I do not really recall a significant financial impact of 9/11. The housing crisis, now that's another story. Covid caused a complete disruption to supply chain, historical inflation, people working remote which leads to disruption of metro areas and occupancy rates of commercial real estate, and on and on and on. Housing values skyrocketed due to the disruption in supply chain and people moving. This is exacerbated by the housing crisis and not making enough homes coming out of the crisis. But again, it would be very interesting to have a study done comparing the financial impact of both events.
Obviously tech had progressed a lot from 9/11 but as far as even just nationwide vs regional the effects of covid are astronomically more. I'm sure in NYC the effects of 9/11 were far greater than the rest of us felt. Hassles at the airport yeah a few other things but I don't see where 9/11 changed day to day life for the rest of us much if at all. I don't recall hoarding and supply shortages esp grocery stores but even just in general supply chain. Not being able to purchase new cars or get parts to fix the ones you have. So many more examples, to me its like 100-1 difference overall in the lives of the general population.

Hmm. Not that I'm disagreeing but I tihnk COVID will be more short term than the ripples still shimmering from 9/11.

I see COVID as a disruption to normalcy. 9/11 was a new normal altogether.
I don't know if you are necessarily wrong. Let me put it a way I think we both can probably agree with. There was a longer lasting new normal after 9/11 but the new normal wasn't something that made most people change their normal day to day much at all.

1. never heard this
2, You have twisted the narrative
3. You may have gotten that one right, no conclusion yet
4, Never heard that
5. Never heard that
6. Never heard that
7. That is true as worded.

I don't know where you get your news, but I reccomend expanding your sources.
I recall you being one source of news. Maybe not an expert, but certainly one with strongly “opinions” and I must say, entertaining. On this topic, I certainly expanded my sources. But regardless of the news source, these statements were made and they were made by public health officials and elected politicians. Don’t confuse statements being made with news sources. The sources report the statements. They didn’t make them.

Gas alone is a huge part. For the previous decade before 9/11, gas was relatively stable at $1.00 to $1.50 level. Outside of a couple of years being in the $2.50 range, gas has generally been in the $2.75 to $4.00+ range in the years since. That has had a huge effect on every aspect of the world economy.
Prices in the airline industry and the shipping industry were affected accordingly. Coupled with the dot-com bust coming at the worst possible time, prices were jacked up across the board and unemployment skyrocketed. In the years before 9/11, China was experiencing a massive expansion and they had discovered that buying scrap metal from the US and then repurposing it or melting it down was significantly cheaper than mining / processing it themselves, so they were buying up every piece of scrap metal they could find. As a result, in 2002, the steel industry started to massivly suffer, because the higher shipping costs along with a lack of materials caused supply chain issues in all construction industries.

I think your profession might have a bigger influence on your perception of which was worse. If you were in the construction / technical industry, 9/11 was (IMO) far worse of a time period than Covid. If you were in the entertainment / services industries, Covid was probably a bigger detriment.

Reactions: larsIU
Gas alone is a huge part. For the previous decade before 9/11, gas was relatively stable at $1.00 to $1.50 level. Outside of a couple of years being in the $2.50 range, gas has generally been in the $2.75 to $4.00+ range in the years since. That has had a huge effect on every aspect of the world economy.
Prices in the airline industry and the shipping industry were affected accordingly. Coupled with the dot-com bust coming at the worst possible time, prices were jacked up across the board and unemployment skyrocketed. In the years before 9/11, China was experiencing a massive expansion and they had discovered that buying scrap metal from the US and then repurposing it or melting it down was significantly cheaper than mining / processing it themselves, so they were buying up every piece of scrap metal they could find. As a result, in 2002, the steel industry started to massivly suffer, because the higher shipping costs along with a lack of materials caused supply chain issues in all construction industries.

I think your profession might have a bigger influence on your perception of which was worse. If you were in the construction / technical industry, 9/11 was (IMO) far worse of a time period than Covid. If you were in the entertainment / services industries, Covid was probably a bigger detriment.
Like I said, it would be a great study. That said, eggs today cost $8 for a dozen. Literally EVERYTHING costs more today. And it’s the pandemic that caused it. I am sure some smart person will do an analysis and compare the economic impacts of both events and would love to read it.

Human beings are not very good at thinking in probabilistic terms.

Well sure, just like i don't need another whiskey or beer or fast car or.....
Jalen Carter . . . is that you?

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT