ADVERTISEMENT

Could Helene be the difference?

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Just spitballing here, but it seems to me that Helene is going to impact voter turnout in a lot of areas of FL, GA, and NC, and those areas will be predominately red/Pub leaning. With GA and NC being so close (and even FL being narrower than expected), would that be enough to put those states in the Dem column? Could that be the difference between a President Harris or a second Trump administration?

Just spitballing here, but it seems to me that Helene is going to impact voter turnout in a lot of areas of FL, GA, and NC, and those areas will be predominately red/Pub leaning. With GA and NC being so close (and even FL being narrower than expected), would that be enough to put those states in the Dem column? Could that be the difference between a President Harris or a second Trump administration?
Depends. If Virginia goes blue, it's still the rust belt that gets Harris over the top. But if she somehow loses Virginia, then a win in NC or GA would be enough to counter that loss. Similarly, if she keeps VA, but somehow loses PA, then either NC or GA would still be enough to clinch it.

However, most scenarios where NC or GA go blue have them being nothing more than icing on the cake.

It could affect NC…Florida won’t be close and Georgia will go to Trump

The way the response has gone, it is more likely to push voters the other direction. The administration has done a dog shit job so far, particularly in North Carolina.

I’m waiting for Marc Elias to show up in the disaster areas with emergency plans protecting all these Republicans’ right to vote.

It’s going to be the difference for another reason. Freaking Mayorkas admitted Biden/Harris spent too much on illegal migrants and FEMA out of money.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01
The way the response has gone, it is more likely to push voters the other direction. The administration has done a dog shit job so far, particularly in North Carolina.
Government always gets blamed for responses to natural disasters. Some result in predictable tragedies. This one was in a way unprecedented. I can’t imagine this is going to push one party one way or the other

Reactions: hoosboot and larsIU
Government always gets blamed for responses to natural disasters. Some result in predictable tragedies. This one was in a way unprecedented. I can’t imagine this is going to push one party one way or the other
Yeah, I know. Democrat is failing so now it is all, "Well this is the best government can do...." Yeah we know, which is why your entire political philosophy is kind of for shit too.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
An interesting question, many of these people who lost everything may have lost all their identification. So no matter what plays out, conspiracies will be prevalent. If they stop people from voting in a (fill in district color) it will be "they were suppressing our vote". If they somehow let people vote, "They allowed illegal voting".

Yeah, I know. Democrat is failing so now it is all, "Well this is the best government can do...." Yeah we know, which is why your entire political philosophy is kind of for shit too.

Wait, what?

What's the alternative to a massive tax payer funded response predicated on the idea of shared responsibility?

Carville seems to think it could be but for different reasons.

Kamala's response has been terrible, an utter debacle. She should lose the Appalachian states over this incompetent effort.

vp in the executive branch dog. you know this job is way too big for her. this is insanity
@td75 - Becauase I can't quote message for whatever reason and didn't want to leave you out (catholic guilt, what can I do).

I get it. But if that's the case, 25th Biden and put her in charge. Technically it should be Biden appointing her Hurricane Czar and then letting her fall on her face.

Right now, Biden should be at FEMA headquarters looking over everybody's shoulder. At least, that's how I'd handle it.

Reactions: All4You
@td75 - Becauase I can't quote message for whatever reason and didn't want to leave you out (catholic guilt, what can I do).

I get it. But if that's the case, 25th Biden and put her in charge. Technically it should be Biden appointing her Hurricane Czar and then letting her fall on her face.

Right now, Biden should be at FEMA headquarters looking over everybody's shoulder. At least, that's how I'd handle it.
me too

Reactions: larsIU
This is fascinating politically, for me. My first thought was she/they should be front and center, massive FEMA funding, driving earth movers in to North Carolina, that type of stuff.

The risk though...a vast majority of those effected are MAGA type people. At least that's what the maps and general demographics show. They'd spin her help, and somehow hold it against her.

Ultimately, it would be nice if either candidate would just do the right damn thing, one flipping time. But its a month from election...everything they do will be calculated politically.

I think she/they are mis calculating not being more outfront in all this. She isn't going to get those peoples votes no matter what she does. But the visual of her leading a massive humanitarian effort, and actually being there helping out...would gain her more than she'd be risking...especially in all the swing states.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT