ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Trump said that given the great economy our government can hand out all kinds of benefits to offset the hardships of dealing with the virus.

My wife asked me where the government would be getting the revenue. My answer was higher deficits. Gain without pain, at least in the short run.

Trump said that given the great economy our government can hand out all kinds of benefits to offset the hardships of dealing with the virus.

My wife asked me where the government would be getting the revenue. My answer was higher deficits. Gain without pain, at least in the short run.

He did say he was the king of debt:

Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee for president and self-described “king of debt,” offered a glimpse into his deal-making playbook Wednesday morning as he defended himself from Hillary Clinton's attacks.

“I’m the king of debt. I’m great with debt. Nobody knows debt better than me,” Trump told Norah O’Donnell in an interview that aired on “CBS This Morning.” “I’ve made a fortune by using debt, and if things don’t work out I renegotiate the debt. I mean, that’s a smart thing, not a stupid thing.”

“How do you renegotiate the debt?” O’Donnell followed up.

“You go back and you say, hey guess what, the economy crashed,” Trump replied. “I’m going to give you back half.”​

Reactions: hoot1 and meridian
The 2009 flu pandemic or swine flu was an influenza pandemic that lasted from early 2009 to late 2010, and the second of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus (the first of them being the 1918–1920 Spanish flu pandemic), albeit a new strain. First described in April 2009, the virus appeared to be a new strain of H1N1 which resulted when a previous triple reassortment of bird, swine and human flu viruses further combined with a Eurasian pig flu virus,[1] leading to the term "swine flu".[2] It is estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million–1.4 billion people contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic.[3][4] However, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities, it had a much lower case fatality rate of 0.01-0.08%.[5]

Perspective.

The 2009 flu pandemic or swine flu was an influenza pandemic that lasted from early 2009 to late 2010, and the second of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus (the first of them being the 1918–1920 Spanish flu pandemic), albeit a new strain. First described in April 2009, the virus appeared to be a new strain of H1N1 which resulted when a previous triple reassortment of bird, swine and human flu viruses further combined with a Eurasian pig flu virus,[1] leading to the term "swine flu".[2] It is estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million–1.4 billion people contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic.[3][4] However, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities, it had a much lower case fatality rate of 0.01-0.08%.[5]

Perspective.
What do you think this is saying? What perspective are you seeing?

edit: for “perspective”, oh he of cognitive dissonance, check out MERS-COV

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

I don’t think his post means what he thinks it means. 1.0% is 100x .001%.

Lots of deaths and hospitalizations and nobody even remembers it. Perspective.

I had to go to a fairly busy IU Health facility today for a scheduled diagnostic test. I was met at the door with a guy clad in gown, face mask and clear plastic guard thing over his face screening everyone walking into the building. Asked whether I had recently been out of the country, and if I was exhibiting any symptoms. Upon answering in the negative, he applied a "screened" sticker to the front of my shirt and I went in. There were lots of patients all around with face masks - everyone seemed to be paying attention to what was going on around them, too...watching anyone coming into their space, etc. Just a general uneasy feeling I was picking up that was different than the typical vibe in those places. I was glad to get out of there when my testing was over, honestly.

They had signs everywhere about their online virtual Coronavirus screening they're offering. I thought that sounded like a good idea, it was the first I'd heard about it. Could help off-load a flood of foot traffic into ERs and clinics by the infected if people will use the service.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...th-offers-free-virtual-screenings/4989114002/

I had to go to a fairly busy IU Health facility today for a scheduled diagnostic test. I was met at the door with a guy clad in gown, face mask and clear plastic guard thing over his face screening everyone walking into the building. Asked whether I had recently been out of the country, and if I was exhibiting any symptoms. Upon answering in the negative, he applied a "screened" sticker to the front of my shirt and I went in. There were lots of patients all around with face masks - everyone seemed to be paying attention to what was going on around them, too...watching anyone coming into their space, etc. Just a general uneasy feeling I was picking up that was different than the typical vibe in those places. I was glad to get out of there when my testing was over, honestly.

They had signs everywhere about their online virtual Coronavirus screening they're offering. I thought that sounded like a good idea, it was the first I'd heard about it. Could help off-load a flood of foot traffic into ERs and clinics by the infected if people will use the service.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...th-offers-free-virtual-screenings/4989114002/
Great Idea. I posted this on another thread. Let's be thankful that this virus is not as bad as the swine flu in 2009.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-17000-in-u-s-report-idUSN1223579720100212

OK, understanding why many think the virus attack is greatly exaggerated.

Still trying to understand why so many thought America was no longer great in 2016.

Gotta think a good many of them are the same people

Perspective.

giphy.gif

We aren't going to get anything because the idiots in D.C. are incompetent charlatans with zero sense of urgency. See McConnell, Pelosi, Trump, etc. squabbling over everything and trying to push their own agendas through legislation that is meant to immediately address an epidemic.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
579,000 died globally.

Are you a Taliban in disguise? Do you think there were 73 virgins waiting for those 579,000 people in heaven?

Lives are that meaningless?
He’s Jim Baker. Just wants us to buy some silver and give some seed money.

Reactions: sglowrider
Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Couple updates: First Bloomington case. Also my girls coming home from Italy were let into New York without a single question, temperature taken, or any mention of the virus. Doesn’t seem very responsible. Finally, girls in Barcelona, Prague, Budapest, and Madrid, all got frantic calls from their parents telling them to pack and get to the airport. They heard Trump’s speech and immediately bought return tickets. It wasn’t until they were in the airport they got word that there had been a correction. They said the airports were a zoo, All of them came home anyway. I can imagine this happening all over. Still do not get how a speech like that makes it through.

I had to go to a fairly busy IU Health facility today for a scheduled diagnostic test. I was met at the door with a guy clad in gown, face mask and clear plastic guard thing over his face screening everyone walking into the building.
Interesting. I spent nearly the entire day in Bloomington Hospital on Tuesday and saw nothing of the sort.

Couple updates: First Bloomington case. Also my girls coming home from Italy were let into New York without a single question, temperature taken, or any mention of the virus. Doesn’t seem very responsible. Finally, girls in Barcelona, Prague, Budapest, and Madrid, all got frantic calls from their parents telling them to pack and get to the airport. They heard Trump’s speech and immediately bought return tickets. It wasn’t until they were in the airport they got word that there had been a correction. They said the airports were a zoo, All of them came home anyway. I can imagine this happening all over. Still do not get how a speech like that makes it through.

Trump is such an epic disaster.

That speech might be his version of Carter's "malaise" speech.

Obviously. I wasn't doubting you at all. But aside from some lame signs, there was no indication on Tuesday that there was anything special going on.
I haven't been in any medical facilities, but what I witnessed in restaurants and grocery stores on Tuesday, and what I saw yesterday and now today, when people woke up yesterday morning, they clearly went crazy.

Obviously. I wasn't doubting you at all. But aside from some lame signs, there was no indication on Tuesday that there was anything special going on.
Yeah, the contrast between your observation on Tuesday and mine today are just an anecdotal comparison of how this thing is escalating so rapidly.

Donald McNeil, Science & Health reporter for the NYT, describing how China attacked the virus on Rachel right now. Wow, they were orders of magnitude more organized and prepared to deal with this outbreak than the US (in large part due to processes and procedures they put in place for SARS). The contrast couldn't be more extreme. We're f**ked.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Donald McNeil, Science & Health reporter for the NYT, describing how China attacked the virus on Rachel right now. Wow, they were orders of magnitude more organized and prepared to deal with this outbreak than the US. The contrast couldn't be more extreme. We're f**ked.
This past weekend on NPR, listened to an interview with a WHO representative praising China's response. The host was incredulous, repeatedly asking if "draconian" (she loved that word) responses could be done here, and he kept trying to correct her that China succeeded in quickly slowing the spread, not through draconian responses, but through flexible responses, targeted toward the needs of individual regions. They were organized, quick to respond, and open to all possible solutions. In some cases - like Wuhan - that involved very restrictive policies. In others, it was simply massive mobilization of medical bureaucracy to engage in all the test-monitor-track-isolate strategies that sglowrider has been telling us about.

This past weekend on NPR, listened to an interview with a WHO representative praising China's response. The host was incredulous, repeatedly asking if "draconian" (she loved that word) responses could be done here, and he kept trying to correct her that China succeeded in quickly slowing the spread, not through draconian responses, but through flexible responses, targeted toward the needs of individual regions. They were organized, quick to respond, and open to all possible solutions. In some cases - like Wuhan - that involved very restrictive policies. In others, it was simply massive mobilization of medical bureaucracy to engage in all the test-monitor-track-isolate strategies that sglowrider has been telling us about.
Exactly.

Donald McNeil, Science & Health reporter for the NYT, describing how China attacked the virus on Rachel right now. Wow, they were orders of magnitude more organized and prepared to deal with this outbreak than the US (in large part due to processes and procedures they put in place for SARS). The contrast couldn't be more extreme. We're f**ked.
Just heard him. The way the other countries are dealing with this, as opposed to the way we are. Getting their temperatures taken at every single place they go, then sent to a special place set up away from the regular doctor and hospitals. Also now just listening to him lie about how every single person coming into the country is tested, we won’t let them in if they aren’t tested. Sure. 25 girls back from Italy and not one tested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT