ADVERTISEMENT

Contacting potential coaches

stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010
What’s legally possible? Can a AD put out a feeler through someone not working for IU to contact let’s say Pearl’s agent and see if any interest?

Search firms put out feelers to gauge interest. This keeps IU out of the process.
I wonder if IU...(all schools)...have search firms on retainer for situations like this? Obviously when someone is fired, they make public that they've contracted a search firm. But I wonder if Dolson has one that he can be continuously vetting coaches, without opening that up to anyone else, especially the media?

I wonder if IU...(all schools)...have search firms on retainer for situations like this? Obviously when someone is fired, they make public that they've contracted a search firm. But I wonder if Dolson has one that he can be continuously vetting coaches, without opening that up to anyone else, especially the media?
I hope so. From what I have seen in the corporate world, my guess is we have a firm on retainer. These firms have pretty good insight on the whole college sports landscape through their many clients and agent connections. This firm probably provides ongoing updates to Dolson on contract trends, rumored coach availability, etc. for all sports. It’s a lot of work if you think about all the coaches and related staff we have in total.

They will probably do some basic feeler work as part of the retainer. Something like: “Hey Mr. Agent of Dusty May, do you know of anyone who might be interested in a ‘blue blood’ head coaching role if one were to become available? This school is in the Midwest and their colors do not include blue.” Agent: “Yes let’s talk. Or no, all my clients are happy where they are.”

In the end we probably only know who is a definite “no” and who is a possible, but far from certain, potential option.

When Dull Son and Co decide to move, they expand the retainer into a larger engagement.

Just guessing how this goes.

Reactions: Jssanto
I hope so. From what I have seen in the corporate world, my guess is we have a firm on retainer. These firms have pretty good insight on the whole college sports landscape through their many clients and agent connections. This firm probably provides ongoing updates to Dolson on contract trends, rumored coach availability, etc. for all sports. It’s a lot of work if you think about all the coaches and related staff we have in total.

They will probably do some basic feeler work as part of the retainer. Something like: “Hey Mr. Agent of Dusty May, do you know of anyone who might be interested in a ‘blue blood’ head coaching role if one were to become available? This school is in the Midwest and their colors do not include blue.” Agent: “Yes let’s talk. Or no, all my clients are happy where they are.”

In the end we probably only know who is a definite “no” and who is a possible, but far from certain, potential option.

When Dull Son and Co decide to move, they expand the retainer into a larger engagement.

Just guessing how this goes.
I agree with your “just guessing”. My guess is similar to yours. Nick Saban ( when he was at Michigan State) said he had not had contact with other schools. A day later he signed with LSU. A few years later he said he had had no contact with the NFL and a day later signed with the Miami Dolphins.
I think his statements were technically true, because his agent had had the contact. A letter of the law if not the spirit of the law.

I agree with your “just guessing”. My guess is similar to yours. Nick Saban ( when he was at Michigan State) said he had not had contact with other schools. A day later he signed with LSU. A few years later he said he had had no contact with the NFL and a day later signed with the Miami Dolphins.
I think his statements were technically true, because his agent had had the contact. A letter of the law if not the spirit of the law.
This almost has to be the way. Man, it'd be fascinating to be plugged in to that network of conversations behind the scenes. But in most ways, ignorance is probably bliss.

It'll be nice when/if we have a longer term solution, that's doing the job, as our bball coach. Its been a while.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Ha, yea. I thought they lied but it’s a nice technicality that it’s my agent and not me.

There's no one on retainer. They get hired when there's a need and then those background conversations take place.
That’s what I was thinking too, why have someone on retainer after you hire someone? And if these agents are plugged into who might be interested in leaving their current gigs, wouldn’t take long to put the word out behind closed doors

That’s what I was thinking too, why have someone on retainer after you hire someone? And if these agents are plugged into who might be interested in leaving their current gigs, wouldn’t take long to put the word out behind closed doors
I thought the retainer would be $2-5K per month. Something small for market intel and light work. But, doesn’t seem like that’s the case.

They're hired when the AD wants to start having them work on his behalf.
And all the conversations with agents have been going on already about various open positions and/or if their client is willing to make a move for the right opportunity. Makes a short list quicker to put together.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
And all the conversations with agents have been going on already about various open positions and/or if their client is willing to make a move for the right opportunity. Makes a short list quicker to put together.
Right, that's the firm doing their due diligence and staying on top of the landscape so that WHEN they are hired, they have a pretty good idea already.

If there was a shaker and mover on the horizon that would be willing to take the reigns at IU...what are the odds that that name has already been floated? Moreso...what are the odds that guy said "No" last time? And finally...if that guy exists right now...would IU's decision makers make the decision based upon "timing"? Even if the answer to the first two questions is in the affirmative....the answer to the third one would be "No". In short....better luck next year. IU basketball is what it is from the very bottom to the very top.

If there was a shaker and mover on the horizon that would be willing to take the reigns at IU...what are the odds that that name has already been floated? Moreso...what are the odds that guy said "No" last time? And finally...if that guy exists right now...would IU's decision makers make the decision based upon "timing"? Even if the answer to the first two questions is in the affirmative....the answer to the third one would be "No". In short....better luck next year. IU basketball is what it is from the very bottom to the very top.
Trying to time coaching hires is probably a lot like trying to time the stock market. You might get lucky, but probably won't.

Right, that's the firm doing their due diligence and staying on top of the landscape so that WHEN they are hired, they have a pretty good idea already.
Does the AD hire them before he lets go of a coach or is the AD clueless when he/she makes a move to let go of a coach? I would imagine in scenarios where you have a coach that you're trying to decide whether to retain him or let him go, that knowing what options you truly have at your disposal in which to replace him with, help lend a hand into the decision of whether or not to let that coach go.

For example, with CMW, you have a buy-out attached. You don't want to forfeit that buy-out and find you're left with shooting from the hip again because the coaches you wanted are not interested. If you had some good options, you know in advance that are likely available than you can make an educated decision. if not, you're flying blind, which seems strange for such a costly endeavor.

Reactions: Indymoon
Does the AD hire them before he lets go of a coach or is the AD clueless when he/she makes a move to let go of a coach? I would imagine in scenarios where you have a coach that you're trying to decide whether to retain him or let him go, that knowing what options you truly have at your disposal in which to replace him with, help lend a hand into the decision of whether or not to let that coach go.

For example, with CMW, you have a buy-out attached. You don't want to forfeit that buy-out and find you're left with shooting from the hip again because the coaches you wanted are not interested. If you had some good options, you know in advance that are likely available than you can make an educated decision. if not, you're flying blind, which seems strange for such a costly endeavor.
So you put the firm on notice a few weeks before the end of the season and let them get to work for you. Keep in mind, Dolson fired Allen on Sunday and hired Cignetti on Thurs/Fri. Work was being done before Sunday.

1988, when RMK was allegedly considering a job coaching at New Mexico.

The offer package was "in excess of $250,000 and a house worth more than $150,000."
For a couple days, this was “must watch” every 30 minutes on CNN Headline Sports at the time in May of ‘88 to see if he was bolting. He was not happy with new Prez Ehrlich scolding him for pulling the team back in November vs the Soviets.

Sean Millsr to OSU. UL hires Pearl..Michigan hires Shurtz. Cal hangs it up, Beard is offered after telling IU he'd crawl to come to IU. Uk nabs him. IU sticks with Woodson two more years.
I doubt Woody makes it that long. The death spiral is in progress: a lot of losing, bad recruiting, less NIL interest given results, more bad recruiting, more losing, even less NIL…

It’s a matter of time. Maybe a month, maybe a year, but I think the pressure is really building to change.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I doubt Woody makes it that long. The death spiral is in progress: a lot of losing, bad recruiting, less NIL interest given results, more bad recruiting, more losing, even less NIL…

It’s a matter of time. Maybe a month, maybe a year, but I think the pressure is really building to change.
I'm hopeful. And I'm sure we all agree not to replace him until after the season. He has earned not to go out Holtman style.

• Wow
What about Pitino? He’s expressed interest in IU (right?) in the past and his recent stops have seemed pretty rocky.

I'm hopeful. And I'm sure we all agree not to replace him until after the season. He has earned not to go out Holtman style.
The disconnect between what should happen and what will happen has a decades old history at IU. And old habits die hard. I think he gets another year. Devil's advocate can say he can sing his swan song with the roster he hasn't built next year, then let another coach take over. Obviously....the best time to correct a mistake is before it grows...but, this is IU after all......

Are we sure he was interested? Not many Italian joints in Bloomington to bang your mistress on their tables in the banquet room.
I can’t remember if Grazie was around back then. Would be perfect for him.

He left the Celtics in 2001 and as we know went to UL. Timeline was right. Who knows if the old stories from people around IUBB back then were true. He would have been great. And yes of course he isn’t a perfect Brad Stevens of a person but whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT