ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
LOL boy when even the left win mayor disagrees with you it show how out of touch and the union really is. Meanwhile all catholic and private schools in Chicago are open today and its business as usual.

We will see how quickly they change their tune if pay gets docked.

Chicago Teachers Vote Against In-Person Learning. Mayor: Defies ‘Common Sense’​

Linda Jacobson
Wed, January 5, 2022, 9:05 AM·4 min read

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot speaks in front of a blue background.
Back in school for just two days, Chicago officials canceled classes Wednesday after almost three-fourths of teachers union members voted in favor of returning to remote learning.
The union said the break from in-person school would last two weeks, unless positive COVID-19 cases declined or an agreement was reached over safety precautions.
“We believe that our city’s classrooms are where our students should be,” said the union’s statement. “Regrettably, the mayor and her [Chicago Public Schools] leadership have put the safety and vibrancy of our students and their educators in jeopardy.”

Sign up here for The 74’s daily newsletter. Donate here to support The 74's independent journalism.

But the district called the vote a work stoppage and said teachers would lose pay if they don’t show up on Wednesday. Parents were told to expect an update on how their children would continue learning by the end of the day.
“To be clear, what CTU is seeking cannot be counted as an instructional day under state law and guidance,” the district said in a statement.
Related: As COVID Cases Break Records and Thousands of Schools Close, Families and Educators Struggle — Again — Over Keeping Classrooms Open
As districts nationally try to contain further outbreaks due to the Omicron variant, and parents once again scramble to adjust to abrupt shifts to remote learning, the standoff between the district and the union is a major test for CEO Pedro Martinez, who took over leadership of the district in late September. On Tuesday, he appealed to the union and the community, calling for a plan triggering school closures that better “represents the times that we’re in” and reflects that vaccines are now available for staff and students. He argues that cases increase when students are out of school and that closing schools would only increase community spread. Mayor Lori Lightfoot said during a Tuesday night press conference that returning to remote learning would “harm hundreds of thousands of Chicago families.”

Not their fault. Never their fault. Poor poor teachers always blames somebody else for them not going to work. They are mad they cannot get into their accounts even though they never showed up to work today and knew remote teaching was not an option. Come on bloom I know you are going to defend them 100%. Let's have it tell us about these poor teachers and how awful they have it.

ChicagoTeachersUnion Retweeted
https://twitter.com/anxiousteach2

Ready to teach, provide specialized instruction to diverse learners, draft IEPs, and communicate with families, but
@chicagosmayor

, and

has locked me out. They are responsible for my students not receiving their legally entitled services today
https://twitter.com/achyguts

Half of the middle school is in quarantine. More than half of my 5th graders are out sick. I voted to work remotely because my school is not safe. I want to teach today, but CPS locked me out.
@CTULocal1
didn’t call a strike or a work stoppage, we called for safety.

eather Saylor She/Her

@ChiPubSchools
I tried to post my post secondary Advisory lessons to my caseload's Google Classroom. Also can't send letters of recommendation for college deadlines today. SMH
We are being inundated with calls and emails this morning from educators who attempted to log into their platforms to connect with their students and teach remotely, and safely, but are being locked out by Mayor Lightfoot. #LoriLockout

....Mayor Lori Lightfoot said during a Tuesday night press conference that returning to remote learning would “harm hundreds of thousands of Chicago families.”
1st thing she's said that's made any sense. send them back to in person learning

the kids can't afford to fall any further behind in their education

people in chicago are dumb enough already

1st thing she's said that's made any sense. send them back to in person learning

Great points below.

also feel tired…and angry…and great sadness for the children of Chicago. Reason is no longer a viable tactic against the union cabal. It’s time for some brutal honesty, and honestly speaking, the Chicago Teachers Union is nothing more than the mafia dressed up as an advocacy group. The difference is that the traditional mafia didn’t take hits out on children; that was the one group of people that were off limits, because even the traditional mafia has some type of principle. The teachers unions are completely devoid of principles at this point. They are willing to take out an entire generation just to satisfy their own greed.
These criminals voted in the dead of night – on a school night – to cancel classes…immediately. Unsuspecting parents woke up to the news that there would be no school for their children on Wednesday. Talk about a punch to the gut. Happy New Year.

There are no good explanations here. There is nothing that can make this make sense for the parents who have already been through hell trying to maintain the learning progress of their children while simultaneously trying to figure out how they go to work and care for their young ones. There are some people who have had to make the brutal decision to leave their young children home alone,
These people are liars, they are greedy and it’s time to call out teachers unions for what they are…wicked money laundering enterprises. Remote learning has been an utter disaster, both educationally and socially. There are no available metrics to tell us anything otherwise. By all measures, remote learning has been more disastrous for students than COVID has. The union has the nerve to sell this as a safety measure for the children, but anyone with half a brain can look around and see the children have never been the ones in danger. If te

LOL boy when even the left win mayor disagrees with you it show how out of touch and the union really is. Meanwhile all catholic and private schools in Chicago are open today and its business as usual.

Linda Jacobson

Back in school for just two days, Chicago officials canceled classes Wednesday after almost three-fourths of teachers union members voted in favor of returning to remote learning.
The union said the break from in-person school would last two weeks, unless positive COVID-19 cases declined or an agreement was reached over safety precautions.
“We believe that our city’s classrooms are where our students should be,” said the union’s statement. “Regrettably, the mayor and her [Chicago Public Schools] leadership have put the safety and vibrancy of our students and their educators in jeopardy.”

Sign up here for The 74’s daily newsletter. Donate here to support The 74's independent journalism.

But the district called the vote a work stoppage and said teachers would lose pay if they don’t show up on Wednesday. Parents were told to expect an update on how their children would continue learning by the end of the day.
“To be clear, what CTU is seeking cannot be counted as an instructional day under state law and guidance,” the district said in a statement.
Related: As COVID Cases Break Records and Thousands of Schools Close, Families and Educators Struggle — Again — Over Keeping Classrooms Open
As districts nationally try to contain further outbreaks due to the Omicron variant, and parents once again scramble to adjust to abrupt shifts to remote learning, the standoff between the district and the union is a major test for CEO Pedro Martinez, who took over leadership of the district in late September. On Tuesday, he appealed to the union and the community, calling for a plan triggering school closures that better “represents the times that we’re in” and reflects that vaccines are now available for staff and students. He argues that cases increase when students are out of school and that closing schools would only increase community spread. Mayor Lori Lightfoot said during a Tuesday night press conference that returning to remote learning would “harm hundreds of thousands of Chicago families.”

That's going to be hard to walk back, even for Lori Lightweight.

As far as docking anyone's pay......I'll believe when I see it. They'll end up staying away for a week or so, and the City will make promises to appease them.....and they'll get all their pay.

That's going to be hard to walk back, even for Lori Lightweight.

As far as docking anyone's pay......I'll believe when I see it. They'll end up staying away for a week or so, and the City will make promises to appease them.....and they'll get all their pay.
Lightfoot will cave to the mob sooner rather than later. But I have no doubt the mob would stay home for months if thats what it took to get everything they want and more.

Lightfoot will cave to the mob sooner rather than later. But I have no doubt the mob would stay home for months if thats what it took to get everything they want and more.
She's only speaking out because the suburban white soccer moms are flocking to the MAGA camp. Can't imagine why having your little ones home all the time would be annoying.

Reactions: bailey777
She's only speaking out because the suburban white soccer moms are flocking to the MAGA camp. Can't imagine why having your little ones home all the time would be annoying.
They most certainly are which I never thought I would see but we saw it in Virginia. I guess when you mess with their kids they do not take too kindly to it.

What’s great, 350,000 kids parents will see what Unions are all about. With the unions is about the money. Non Union employees work circles around dead beat Unions!

Reactions: dbmhoosier
What’s great, 350,000 kids parents will see what Unions are all about. With the unions is about the money. Non Union employees work circles around dead beat Unions!
Correct. The clows are staying home again.

Chicago Public Schools cancels classes again for Thursday as deadlock with union continues; Trump, Biden press secretary each comment on impasse​

By TRACY SWARTZ and GREGORY PRATT

Yeah, she’s worried about the suburban white soccer mom vote as the mayor of Chicago.

You really are a dumbass.
Chicago has the problem as all Democrat ran Cities! Can anyone here tell me what that problem is?

Linda Jacobson

These teachers better be careful because parents might figure out that they can homeschool their children and be successful at it. We homeschooled all four of our children at different times. My oldest ended up in the top 10% after being homeschooled to 7th grade and then going to Christian school until his Senior year. My second son graduated from a four yr college after being homeschooled and Christian school till seventh grade.

These teachers better be careful because parents might figure out that they can homeschool their children and be successful at it. We homeschooled all four of our children at different times. My oldest ended up in the top 10% after being homeschooled to 7th grade and then going to Christian school until his Senior year. My second son graduated from a four yr college after being homeschooled and Christian school till seventh grade.
People work. That ain't happening

I'm amazed that people are attacking others for protecting their right to health. This is a basic right. If someone may have a disease of unknown risk, why take a chance by standing next to them? Seems like common sense to me. Parents are ultimately responsible for their own kid.

Homeschool already was up like 100% last year and continues to rise. I know of several families who have switched in the last year. The only way these unions would even care is if they started losing jobs and schools close due to falling enrollments. Even then I am not so sure.

Meanwhile the Catholic Schools once again are in class today in Chicago and have not missed a beat.

Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot slammed the Chicago Teachers Union on Wednesday evening as teachers refused to come to work the next morning for a second straight day, over fears of Covid spread.

“I will not allow [the union] to take our children hostage,” Lightfoot said at a press conference. “I will not allow them to compromise the future of this generation of CPS students. That is not going to happen.”

Lightfoot also revealed that the city had filed an unfair labor practices complaint against the union over its Tuesday decision to switch to remote learning at all Chicago Public Schools facilities, which serve over 340,000 students. Earlier on Wednesday, CTU claimed on Twitter that Lightfoot had locked teachers out of remote learning platforms.

I'm amazed that people are attacking others for protecting their right to health. This is a basic right. If someone may have a disease of unknown risk, why take a chance by standing next to them? Seems like common sense to me. Parents are ultimately responsible for their own kid.
I am just talking about the idea where parents get used to having their kids and home and all of a sudden the light comes on."Hey, we can do this as well as the schools can". My question is this. If the teachers are all vaxxed then what do they have to worry about?

I am just talking about the idea where parents get used to having their kids and home and all of a sudden the light comes on."Hey, we can do this as well as the schools can". My question is this. If the teachers are all vaxxed then what do they have to worry about?
They do not have to worrry but I predicted they would to this. They are known for this kind of stuff in Chicago and go read their twitter feed it reads like a bunch of mob members and they are all dressed in red like a cult.

They literally want parents to support this nonsense!

Mila Koumpilova

@MilaKoumpilova

·
21m

The Chicago Teachers Union, in an overnight message to members: Meet "at or near" your schools today to make a plan for reaching parents in your area, getting them to sign a petition in support of the union's demands + signing them up for COVID testing.

Yeah I’m sure the overwhelmingly high % of struggling or single family CPS homes are just waiting for that light to come on and say F it, let’s stay home and home school!

We can debate the root causes, etc until the cows come home, but at least operate like you have a brain vs being the most completely oblivious person to walk the earth.

Yeah I’m sure the overwhelmingly high % of struggling or single family CPS homes are just waiting for that light to come on and say F it, let’s stay home and home school!

We can debate the root causes, etc until the cows come home, but at least operate like you have a brain vs being the most completely oblivious person to walk the earth.
Yeah ridiculous.

The problem is alot of these are single parent homes and they cannot afford to stay home. That is why it is so said the union holds them hostage like this. I do not think at this point even the most leftist teachers union cheerleaders can make an honest argument that " it is for the kids". The teachers got away with that argument for years but covid as exposed these unions for what they are imo.

The problem is alot of these are single parent homes and they cannot afford to stay home. That is why it is so said the union holds them hostage like this. I do not think at this point even the most leftist teachers union cheerleaders can make an honest argument that " it is for the kids". The teachers got away with that argument for years but covid as exposed these unions for what they are imo.
If the teachers want to work from home they should allow them to but dock them one day of vacation for every missed day in the classroom. It's only fair given that many parents are forced to burn their vacation when they can't send the kids to school.

Reactions: bailey777
If the teachers want to work from home they should allow them to but dock them one day of vacation for every missed day in the classroom. It's only fair given that many parents are forced to burn their vacation when they can't send the kids to school.
Yep for sure but these clowns think they are above all of that. Now there wree 27% who voted to stay in school so I am not sayhing it is all of them. But it is the vast majority.

Just out of curiosity, who makes the official decision to close classrooms and move to a remote learning situation? CPS? It doesn't seem like something that Teacher's Union can unilaterally declare. This situation would seem more like a strike, or walkout.

FWIW, if I tried this I'd simply be fired.

Chicago mayor: Teachers union made us a ‘laughingstock’​

As the Omicron variant triggers a new wave of Covid-19 cases, educators in the nation's third-largest school district voted late Tuesday to not report to work.

There are so many things we could partner on,” Lightfoot said in an interview Wednesday about her latest conflict with the union, whose members overwhelmingly voted late Tuesday not to return to in-person teaching. “Instead, they chose an illegal, unilateral action that throws the whole system into chaos and makes us a laughingstock all across the country.”

Chicago mayor: Teachers union made us a ‘laughingstock’​

As the Omicron variant triggers a new wave of Covid-19 cases, educators in the nation's third-largest school district voted late Tuesday to not report to work.

There are so many things we could partner on,” Lightfoot said in an interview Wednesday about her latest conflict with the union, whose members overwhelmingly voted late Tuesday not to return to in-person teaching. “Instead, they chose an illegal, unilateral action that throws the whole system into chaos and makes us a laughingstock all across the country.”
CDS

Reactions: DrHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT