ADVERTISEMENT

Cheerleader outfits and some thoughts

“More fun to look at.”

I assume you don’t have a daughter? They aren’t there for you to get off. They’re people. If they request new uniforms, fine. But the old guys on here talking about it, like I said earlier, is really weird and creepy.
I do have a daughter and she’s very much a person and I have every confidence she wouldn’t wear something she wasn’t comfortable in. Sorry about yours. I’m all for protecting our students but some of you seem to want to put them in burkas.

The cheerleaders are plenty hot as it is. The one thing I would do with their look is ditch the big bows in their hair. That makes them look a bit too juvenile to me, more "little girls" than "young women".

Reactions: IUgradman
I mentioned this before, and most people agreed, but it was during the off-season, so I'm not sure of the sample size, so I'll ask your thoughts again.

Like everyone on this board, I watch several college basketball games on t.v. everyday.
I've always noticed how our cheerleaders wear "very conservative" outfits. (Turtlenecks, no bare midriffs, hardly any skin showing, mostly "cute" girls)
I am all for tradition, but our girls look like they are stuck in 1958. (Believe me, I totally get the "class" factor, the non-sleaziness, and the fact that our cheerleaders win national competitions all the time.) And I totally understand IU for "standing pat" in this day and age of "skin sells."

However, I can't help but think that we need to change a bit with the times. When a potential recruit sees us on t.v. or comes to a game in the dead of winter, are we doing enough to entice him? Bloomington had some of the best looking co-eds when I was a student there two decades ago. This does not translate to our cheerleaders; who are "the face of the female student body" when IU is shown on t.v. during hoop games.
Again, I respect what they do, and they are not unattractive, but can we at least make them a little more provocative for our potential recruits? Do we even have a dance team who shows bare arms?

I'm not saying that cheerleaders are the only reason why a basketball player chooses a school. Heck, that's probably not even .0001% of the reason why. As a high school AD, I tend to know how impressionable 17-year old boys think.
I'm not asking for UCLA, USC, or Oregon. I just want us to get out of the 1950's. I know it sounds crazy, but the conservative nature of our "image" might be hurting us a little. It's 2018.

Would I like to see an alternative basketball uniform every now and then? Yes, but not too often. Do we need names on the back of our jerseys? Probably not. I just know that image and style means a lot these days to kids.
Would I like to see our student section right at midcourt, down low, going nuts, right where the television has the main camera of the court? Yes. (Like Michigan and Michigan State, Ohio State, and most others do)
My point is that if we make some small changes here and there, and at least attempt to keep up with the times a bit more, than I think the overall product- IU Basketball- will improve.

By the way, I love the Archie hire. When he brings in his kids and gets them to buy into his defensive-minded approach, I think we will be a perennial Top 10 team again.
I just want to give IU a little "nudge" into the 21st century. (And yes, I'm aware of the facility updates. And they are fantastic)

So, question for all of us IU fans: What is one thing you would change "off the court" in order to help the IU hoop program? Beer at home games? Students seated lower? Cheerleaders outfits from this century? Uniform tweak? Better non-conference schedule?

Thanks.
Sounds like all you want is a strip bar
pole dancer during a basketball game.
Didn't they try what you want at Baylor U?

Pretty sure this is what the guy meant. I have no idea why people have to bash his opinion.

creamgirls2.jpg

fc63a113d777ec5bed0d7dd4caa18be8.jpg

ucla-cheerleaders2.jpg

bal-dg-uconn-mavc-final-four-basketball-20150404

0081548-vwuf-640x360.jpg

c4309a20a09ff843f89f4fde791a057a.jpg

Georgia-cheerleaders.jpg

OK, Florida cheerleaders.....give me an F! Give me a U! .........................

Indiana isn’t known for being edgy or pushing the limit. I don’t think the fanbase would appreciate skimpy cheerleader outfits. It’s just the way it is. Culture is a hard thing to change. I’m no prude but leave the racy cheerleader outfits for the pros. These are teenage girls we are talking about.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Pretty sure this is what the guy meant. I have no idea why people have to bash his opinion.

creamgirls2.jpg

ucla-cheerleaders2.jpg

0081548-vwuf-640x360.jpg

Georgia-cheerleaders.jpg

These are all dance teams not serious cheerleading squads. I am not knocking dance teams, they are fine, but apples and oranges. Iu used to have the red steppers. IU has the best competitive cheerleading program in the country.

These are all dance teams not serious cheerleading squads. I am not knocking dance teams, they are fine, but apples and oranges. Iu used to have the red steppers. IU has the best competitive cheerleading program in the country.
look it up...type it in...I didn't show any favoritism and did not try to show ANY dance teams, rather cheerleaders and what they wear. The OP just asked a question. If you look around there are some pretty cool outfits. Also many of these squads have more than just one set of gear. The only reason I posted is because you have a bunch of pile on, name calling posters, that constantly rip people. It was a well thought out post.

look it up...type it in...I didn't show any favoritism and did not try to show ANY dance teams, rather cheerleaders and what they wear. The OP just asked a question. If you look around there are some pretty cool outfits. Also many of these squads have more than just one set of gear. The only reason I posted is because you have a bunch of pile on, name calling posters, that constantly rip people. It was a well thought out post.

And I simply put your post in its proper context. Dance teams vs cheerleaders. Both compete but apples and oranges.

In addition to all the basketball and coaching experts now we have you, an expert in cheer and fashion on this board! Aren't we lucky?!?!??

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

The original poster should have led with the photos. These Hoosier uniforms are somewhat prudish. Have to admit I might tune-in the next time Oregon is on the tube. ;)

ucla-cheerleaders2.jpg

0081548-vwuf-640x360.jpg

Georgia-cheerleaders.jpg

creamgirls2.jpg

ucla-cheerleaders2.jpg

0081548-vwuf-640x360.jpg

Georgia-cheerleaders.jpg

Reactions: travlinhoosier
When did I say that? Oh, that's right...I didn't. However, I don't want to read about middle aged perverts getting off on 18 year old young ladies. Is that ok with you or do you enjoy that sorta thing?

Gotta agree here.

Listen, we all like a pretty girl. And if the young ladies on the IU Cheer Squad want to wear new uni's, that's their choice. But to propose putting these young women in outfits that show more skin to "entice" recruits is beyond outrageous. And I say that as a father of two young ladies in their 20's.

Gotta agree here.

Listen, we all like a pretty girl. And if the young ladies on the IU Cheer Squad want to wear new uni's, that's their choice. But to propose putting these young women in outfits that show more skin to "entice" recruits is beyond outrageous. And I say that as a father of two young ladies in their 20's.
I'm with you on that. I'm done with this thread....I hope! Lol
I got a little more worked up than usual because I have 2 step daughters that are cheerleaders at a State University. People have no idea how hard they work, sacrifices they make and athletic talent they possess.

If you go to the link Snowling provided on the IU Cheerleaders placing 5th at Nationals, you'll see the twitter account for American Cheerleader.

Take a look at this years champions: University of Kentucky and University of Oklahoma. What are those young ladies wearing?

'nuff said . . .

Reactions: snowling
mostly "cute" girls

Bloomington had some of the best looking co-eds when I was a student there two decades ago. This does not translate to our cheerleaders
For those that think the OP wasn't being a perv and was only talking about uniforms, you're wrong. He also says that he doesn't find them attractive enough. If he graduated from IU in 94, that would put him well into his 40s. So someone that age saying that young women in their late teens/early twenties aren't attractive enough and should also show more skin definitely qualifies as a perv to me.

How about this....

Can the lame cheerleaders from basketball and football. Let them celebrate all of those stupid national titles at a volleyball game or one of those metrosexually-induced, homoerotic wrestling matches. At least there the fat cows will be appreciated.

Bring in the ladies from Night Moves as replacements. Free lap dances at halftime for any student that showed up before the first tv time-out. Win-win. We get rid of the loser cheerleaders AND students show up before Chuck Crabb can even say "Use of profanity can result in a technical foul for the home team" three times.

Reactions: IUgradman and RBB89
How about this....

Can the lame cheerleaders from basketball and football. Let them celebrate all of those stupid national titles at a volleyball game or one of those metrosexually-induced, homoerotic wrestling matches. At least there the fat cows will be appreciated.

Bring in the ladies from Night Moves as replacements. Free lap dances at halftime for any student that showed up before the first tv time-out. Win-win. We get rid of the loser cheerleaders AND students show up before Chuck Crabb can even say "Use of profanity can result in a technical foul for the home team" three times.
We’re too late - I already saw that at a home game at Louisvi . . . OOPS!!

I'm of the opinion that nothing needs to change in terms of the game day experience at Assembly Hall, and that's coming from a 25-year-old IU grad (B.A., 2014). I'm only concerned about one thing, and that's winning. Guess what attracts high-profile recruits -- winning. Archie is well on his way to building the program into a consistent winner. It won't happen overnight, so give it some time and see the process through.

If you go to the link Snowling provided on the IU Cheerleaders placing 5th at Nationals, you'll see the twitter account for American Cheerleader.

Take a look at this years champions: University of Kentucky and University of Oklahoma. What are those young ladies wearing?

'nuff said . . .

Almost all of the serious programs wear unis similar to IUs. The National Select team which almost always has at least one IU gal on it wears the same.

Do you people really find the cheer uniforms pictured above appropriate only for strippers? If not how do you justify the accusations you’re making?

I'm of the opinion that nothing needs to change in terms of the game day experience at Assembly Hall, and that's coming from a 25-year-old IU grad (B.A., 2014). I'm only concerned about one thing, and that's winning. Guess what attracts high-profile recruits -- winning. Archie is well on his way to building the program into a consistent winner. It won't happen overnight, so give it some time and see the process through.
Spot On

I mentioned this before, and most people agreed, but it was during the off-season, so I'm not sure of the sample size, so I'll ask your thoughts again.

Like everyone on this board, I watch several college basketball games on t.v. everyday.
I've always noticed how our cheerleaders wear "very conservative" outfits. (Turtlenecks, no bare midriffs, hardly any skin showing, mostly "cute" girls)
I am all for tradition, but our girls look like they are stuck in 1958. (Believe me, I totally get the "class" factor, the non-sleaziness, and the fact that our cheerleaders win national competitions all the time.) And I totally understand IU for "standing pat" in this day and age of "skin sells."

However, I can't help but think that we need to change a bit with the times. When a potential recruit sees us on t.v. or comes to a game in the dead of winter, are we doing enough to entice him? Bloomington had some of the best looking co-eds when I was a student there two decades ago. This does not translate to our cheerleaders; who are "the face of the female student body" when IU is shown on t.v. during hoop games.
Again, I respect what they do, and they are not unattractive, but can we at least make them a little more provocative for our potential recruits? Do we even have a dance team who shows bare arms?

I'm not saying that cheerleaders are the only reason why a basketball player chooses a school. Heck, that's probably not even .0001% of the reason why. As a high school AD, I tend to know how impressionable 17-year old boys think.
I'm not asking for UCLA, USC, or Oregon. I just want us to get out of the 1950's. I know it sounds crazy, but the conservative nature of our "image" might be hurting us a little. It's 2018.

Would I like to see an alternative basketball uniform every now and then? Yes, but not too often. Do we need names on the back of our jerseys? Probably not. I just know that image and style means a lot these days to kids.
Would I like to see our student section right at midcourt, down low, going nuts, right where the television has the main camera of the court? Yes. (Like Michigan and Michigan State, Ohio State, and most others do)
My point is that if we make some small changes here and there, and at least attempt to keep up with the times a bit more, than I think the overall product- IU Basketball- will improve.

By the way, I love the Archie hire. When he brings in his kids and gets them to buy into his defensive-minded approach, I think we will be a perennial Top 10 team again.
I just want to give IU a little "nudge" into the 21st century. (And yes, I'm aware of the facility updates. And they are fantastic)

So, question for all of us IU fans: What is one thing you would change "off the court" in order to help the IU hoop program? Beer at home games? Students seated lower? Cheerleaders outfits from this century? Uniform tweak? Better non-conference schedule?

Thanks.
So if you graduated in 94 you're getting close to 50 right? They're 18 to 22 year old girls and you come across as a creeper.

Long-time lurker here, but first-time poster.
Give the OP a break. All he made was suggestions to try to attract the recruits of today and the future. It's the same as updating facilities. Update the damn outfits. It couldn't hurt!

Reactions: travlinhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT