ADVERTISEMENT

Cheerleader outfits and some thoughts

This is not too much too ask for. Some of you guys think these look like stripper pictures. It's not creepy at all. We just don't want our girls dressed in burkas anymore.
Michigan-State-cheerleaders-467177432_10_1.jpg
Michigan+State+Spartans+Basketball+Cheerleader+2.jpg

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I mentioned this before, and most people agreed, but it was during the off-season, so I'm not sure of the sample size, so I'll ask your thoughts again.

Like everyone on this board, I watch several college basketball games on t.v. everyday.
I've always noticed how our cheerleaders wear "very conservative" outfits. (Turtlenecks, no bare midriffs, hardly any skin showing, mostly "cute" girls)
I am all for tradition, but our girls look like they are stuck in 1958. (Believe me, I totally get the "class" factor, the non-sleaziness, and the fact that our cheerleaders win national competitions all the time.) And I totally understand IU for "standing pat" in this day and age of "skin sells."

However, I can't help but think that we need to change a bit with the times. When a potential recruit sees us on t.v. or comes to a game in the dead of winter, are we doing enough to entice him? Bloomington had some of the best looking co-eds when I was a student there two decades ago. This does not translate to our cheerleaders; who are "the face of the female student body" when IU is shown on t.v. during hoop games.
Again, I respect what they do, and they are not unattractive, but can we at least make them a little more provocative for our potential recruits? Do we even have a dance team who shows bare arms?

I'm not saying that cheerleaders are the only reason why a basketball player chooses a school. Heck, that's probably not even .0001% of the reason why. As a high school AD, I tend to know how impressionable 17-year old boys think.
I'm not asking for UCLA, USC, or Oregon. I just want us to get out of the 1950's. I know it sounds crazy, but the conservative nature of our "image" might be hurting us a little. It's 2018.

Would I like to see an alternative basketball uniform every now and then? Yes, but not too often. Do we need names on the back of our jerseys? Probably not. I just know that image and style means a lot these days to kids.
Would I like to see our student section right at midcourt, down low, going nuts, right where the television has the main camera of the court? Yes. (Like Michigan and Michigan State, Ohio State, and most others do)
My point is that if we make some small changes here and there, and at least attempt to keep up with the times a bit more, than I think the overall product- IU Basketball- will improve.

By the way, I love the Archie hire. When he brings in his kids and gets them to buy into his defensive-minded approach, I think we will be a perennial Top 10 team again.
I just want to give IU a little "nudge" into the 21st century. (And yes, I'm aware of the facility updates. And they are fantastic)

So, question for all of us IU fans: What is one thing you would change "off the court" in order to help the IU hoop program? Beer at home games? Students seated lower? Cheerleaders outfits from this century? Uniform tweak? Better non-conference schedule?

Thanks.
God, this whole thread sucks. I can’t believe it’s gone on so long. Mods should cut it off now. An embarrassing waste of time.

Here’s the thing — let the cheerleaders and their parents decide what the uniforms should look like. If IU does this, then the new uniforms would probably not look prudish at all, like the non-prudish prom dresses selected every spring by high school girls and their parents all around Indiana. I seriously doubt if the female cheerleaders think the current barelegged uniforms are prudish at all, particularly when they have to use pompoms to cover up when they sit at the end of the floor during the game. Maybe they wouldn’t mind showing their toned abs since they are showing 99.9% of their legs anyway.

Until we’re undefeated again, who should really give a damn about the cheerleader uniforms?

God, this whole thread sucks. I can’t believe it’s gone on so long. Mods should cut it off now. An embarrassing waste of time.

Here’s the thing — let the cheerleaders and their parents decide what the uniforms should look like.

Parents should decide? Who does that? Jeezuz I showed my wife this thread last night and my 17 year old daughter. They both agreed IU is outdated! I bet if you asked the girls at IU (who really matter) they might be all for cool new stuff... The guys wear all these cool new uni's do you really think girls are that different? They are probably 10 times more to say bring it on and bring a variety! They are girls! You ever shop with your daughters?

I'm a parent and old too but I remember my youth. It doesn't matter guy or gal get with the times! God forbid someone state an opinion around here without getting their head bashed in...:eek:

Long-time lurker here, but first-time poster.
Give the OP a break. All he made was suggestions to try to attract the recruits of today and the future. It's the same as updating facilities. Update the damn outfits. It couldn't hurt!
That’s not what he said. He was talking about college girls like they are pieces of meat to throw at recruits. It’s creepy.

Parents should decide? Who does that? Jeezuz I showed my wife this thread last night and my 17 year old daughter. They both agreed IU is outdated! I bet if you asked the girls at IU (who really matter) they might be all for cool new stuff... The guys wear all these cool new uni's do you really think girls are that different? They are probably 10 times more to say bring it on and bring a variety! They are girls! You ever shop with your daughters?

I'm a parent and old too but I remember my youth. It doesn't matter guy or gal get with the times! God forbid someone state an opinion around here without getting their head bashed in...:eek:
For at least the fourth time, if they want new uniforms, great. A bunch of middle-aged men discussing how best to use college girls to entice male recruits is unbelievably creepy and inappropriate. Why are we still talking about this?

This is not too much too ask for. Some of you guys think these look like stripper pictures. It's not creepy at all. We just don't want our girls dressed in burkas anymore.
Michigan-State-cheerleaders-467177432_10_1.jpg
Michigan+State+Spartans+Basketball+Cheerleader+2.jpg

For the love of God, stop. It’s weird.
“Our girls.” They aren’t your girls. They aren’t your property. Recruits aren’t picking any school because of the cheerleading uniforms. Do you seriously sit around thinking about this stuff?

For at least the fourth time, if they want new uniforms, great. A bunch of middle-aged men discussing how best to use college girls to entice male recruits is unbelievably creepy and inappropriate. Why are we still talking about this?
I never said anything about enticing male recruits. For the 2nd time quit stating crap I did not say! I said the uniforms look outdated and my wife and daughter agreed. I also provided examples in a classy way. Its a chat board RBB sorry (NOT) your rivals haughty has been offended.

I never said anything about enticing male recruits. For the 2nd time quit stating crap I did not say! I said the uniforms look outdated and my wife and daughter agreed. I also provided examples in a classy way. Its a chat board RBB sorry (NOT) your rivals haughty has been offended.
I’m sure there have been threads on here about big recruiting weekends and various comments about hoping the weather is great with plenty of coeds laying out in bikinis to provide good scenery for the recruits. I don’t recall anyone commenting about those being inappropriate comments or ripping the pervy old dudes making such comments. I guess that’s somehow different than all the righteous folks trying to rip you a new one about this thread?

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I’m sure there have been threads on here about big recruiting weekends and various comments about hoping the weather is great with plenty of coeds laying out in bikinis to provide good scenery for the recruits. I don’t recall anyone commenting about those being inappropriate comments or ripping the pervy old dudes making such comments. I guess that’s somehow different than all the righteous folks trying to rip you a new one about this thread?
Yea...I remember when Tronti visited. I told my brother to tell my niece to get a bunch of girlfriends and walk by and say hey. He thought it was a great idea. Anyways...

Back in 86 two friends and I attended the Michigan/ IU game. We had to sit in the last row of the balcony in the corner. And we were glad to be there. Do you think big screen tvs are one reason why people today do not have to be at the game?
Is the whole court visible from up there?

I like it when our cheerleaders smile, it looks much better in the snap shots that I blow up and hang on my wall.

Too often they have a resting face and it ruins the whole picture.

Reactions: minneman
You seriously need to read the OP again.

Here is the portion that upset many, including myself:

When a potential recruit sees us on t.v. or comes to a game in the dead of winter, are we doing enough to entice him? . . . I respect what they do, and they are not unattractive, but can we at least make them a little more provocative for our potential recruits?

Again, if IU’s cheer squad requests to “upgrade” their outfits, fine. But to suggest we “entice” recruits by making young ladies “more provocative” demeans them to nothing more than a piece of meat.

It’s outrageous.

It’s totally out of line.

Would you be ok with your 17-year old daughter being dressed “more provocative” in order to entice someone to come play for IU? THAT’S what the OP was suggesting. THAT’S why so many on here are upset with his post.

No one is forcing you to post.

Reactions: Hoosier203
I like it when our cheerleaders smile, it looks much better in the snap shots that I blow up and hang on my wall.

Too often they have a resting face and it ruins the whole picture.
Blow them up bigger...will take you longer to alternate up to their face from their turtleneck top...

You seriously need to read the OP again.

Here is the portion that upset many, including myself:

Again, if IU’s cheer squad requests to “upgrade” their outfits, fine. But to suggest we “entice” recruits by making young ladies “more provocative” demeans them to nothing more than a piece of meat.

It’s outrageous.

It’s totally out of line.

Would you be ok with your 17-year old daughter being dressed “more provocative” in order to entice someone to come play for IU? THAT’S what the OP was suggesting. THAT’S why so many on here are upset with his post.
Put your self back in your body at that age. A recruit comes to Indiana sees a b-ball game what do you think a 17 year old kid is watching the gad damn basketball game? Think about it. I know damn well at that age I'm ribbing the recruit next to me going damn check that out (cheerleaders, chicks in the stands etc.etc.). Meanwhile at an Oregon game the recruits are prolly going holy sh*t where do I sign. jus saying. If your that blind to your past then I'm sorry you have forgot it.

Reactions: Hoosier203
Put your self back in your body at that age. A recruit comes to Indiana sees a b-ball game what do you think a 17 year old kid is watching the gad damn basketball game? Think about it. I know damn well at that age I'm ribbing the recruit next to me going damn check that out (cheerleaders, chicks in the stands etc.etc.). Meanwhile at an Oregon game the recruits are prolly going holy sh*t where do I sign. jus saying. If your that blind to your past then I'm sorry you have forgot it.
giphy.gif

Dig your own...

If you’re 18-21 years old, I can understand you thinking that way. At that age, the little head too often does more thinking than the big head.

But the OP isn’t 18-21. He graduated in 1994 - putting him at (at least) 42. Worse, he said he was an AD. I’d hate to think of him being the athletic director at our school.

When you’re young, you’re possibly gonna think like that. When you’re middle-aged (and an administrator over HS kids), making the kind of statements he did is wrong. One day you’ll have kids and then you’ll understand.

Reactions: IUgradman
If you’re 18-21 years old, I can understand you thinking that way. At that age, the little head too often does more thinking than the big head.

But the OP isn’t 18-21. He graduated in 1994 - putting him at (at least) 42. Worse, he said he was an AD. I’d hate to think of him being the athletic director at our school.

When you’re young, you’re possibly gonna think like that. When you’re middle-aged (and an administrator over HS kids), making the kind of statements he did is wrong. One day you’ll have kids and then you’ll understand.

I have 7 kids and 3 grandkids...

Yup I agree and did not realize he said he was a high school A.D. which is f*cked up! I re-read the original post and missed that. Thank you for making that clear Tas!!! Wish someone else would have pointed that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I have 7 kids and 3 grandkids...

Yup I agree and did not realize he said he was a high school A.D. which is f*cked up! I re-read the original post and missed that. Thank you for making that clear Tas!!! Wish someone else would have pointed that out.
Yeah, a lot of what was said in the OP was unfortunately glossed over by all the comments.

I’m not a prude. Although I like the uniforms just fine, if the University chose to change the style I’d likely be ok with it. But don’t tell me you’re 40-something and suggest “enticing “ . . .

Reactions: hoohoome
The OP was talking about potential recruits, NOT himself or any other 45-year old. He specifically said that. He said he works with high school atheltes, so I'm pretty sure he knows how they think and what they talk about.
If you look at the Oregon cheerleaders (or any other major college) and then look at how conservative IU's are dressed, it's night and day. Where do you think a potential recruit is going to go?
Stop acting like you're the "moral compass." He was not trying to say then girls were pieces of meat.
Oh yeah, I forgot, this is RBB's board, and he is always right, no matter what. Same thing. Every thread.
Pile on. Then pile on some more.
You guys are so outdated and such homers. Try having an open-mind for once.
The "IU has always done it this way" line is ridiculous, and we are getting left behind.
Another 31 years to a National Title? Our cheer outfits certainly ain't helping. Nor is our student section seats. Nor are our uniforms that BARELY ever change.
Change or get left behind.
RBB and a few others a re still living in 1987.

Idk abt that...if you mean you can see the out of bounds lines fron every seat...I think you may be wrong.

i don't think you can see all the out of bounds lines from any seat in the arena, other than the 1st row of chairs.

those chairs have no business being there, and the fact that they're highly monetized doesn't change that.

remove them and you'll still have a "court side" first row. it will just be a couple feet back, where everyone else in the arena can now actually see all the out of bounds lines again.

Another 31 years to a National Title? Our cheer outfits certainly ain't helping.

You thinking our cheer outfits has anything to do with IU not winning a title for the last 31 years tells us you have no clue. Zero.

The OP . . . specifically said he works with high school atheltes

Which made his comments wrong. 40-year old school administrators don’t talk about making young ladies barely out of high school “more provocative” to “entice” recruits.

You guys are so outdated and such homers.

Outdated? I guess becoming a father classifies us as that. Perhaps one day you’ll be lucky enough to have a daughter. You’ll then understand.

Reactions: hgdownunder
If you look at the Oregon cheerleaders (or any other major college) and then look at how conservative IU's are dressed, it's night and day. Where do you think a potential recruit is going to go?

Are you **cking serious? You REALLY think Romeo is going to the school with the most provacative cheerleaders outfits? Surely he wouldn't think about his pro aspirations and what school would have the best facilities and coach to maximize his potential. And OBVIOUSLY winning would be trumped by the most skin shown by the cheerleaders. Good grief.

If that is true, then why isn't Oregon raking in the 5* recruits?

The OP was talking about potential recruits, NOT himself or any other 45-year old. He specifically said that. He said he works with high school atheltes, so I'm pretty sure he knows how they think and what they talk about.

Heres what he said...

As a high school AD, I tend to know how impressionable 17-year old boys think.

Anyways...Yes a 17 or 18 yr. old kid on a free vacation (visit) is going to be checking out the sights!

Again I bet the girls wearing the outfits would like variety and trend just like the guys like all the cool football uni's.

Is the whole court visible from up there?

It is. I sat up there several times as a student and then as a new graduate until I had the money to start moving down.

The balcony gets a bad rap, but as a young alum we sat in CC and there was nothing wrong with that view. Similar to the upper sections of any larger arena. I tend to watch off ball and frankly you can see plays and defenses develop better from up there than you can down low where we are now.

i don't think you can see all the out of bounds lines from any seat in the arena, other than the 1st row of chairs.

those chairs have no business being there, and the fact that they're highly monetized doesn't change that.

remove them and you'll still have a "court side" first row. it will just be a couple feet back, where everyone else in the arena can now actually see all the out of bounds lines again.
When is the last time you actually attended a sporting event in person? There are chairs on the sidelines at pretty much every arena in existence this point. And honestly I have no idea what you’re even complaining about. What part of the court am I missing here?

ifwyzo.jpg

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
ADVERTISEMENT