ADVERTISEMENT

Cheerleader outfits and some thoughts

I'm just saying, Duke and MSU put their "boosters" up high, and let the students get the best seats. Seems to be working out fine for those two programs.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: IUgradman
I'm just saying, Duke and MSU put their "boosters" up high, and let the students get the best seats. Seems to be working out fine for those two programs.

Breslin center was new around 1990. They may have planned it at that time. Duke is a different sort of thing because it is so small. I suspect the students have always been a bigger part of the whole ticket base.

It is certainly not a bad idea to have a student section. I think IU has done what was most feasible. The next move would have to be to slowly fill ticket openings with students over the 25 years until they could get a whole section down low.

But the other factor is the sheer physical nature of Assembly Hall. It is a difficult place to climb around in for older folks. They don't want 75 year olds falling down stairs and having heart attacks.

Reactions: Hoosier203
You guys are trying to address a problem that doesn't exist. Assembly Hall is plenty intimidating when the team is good.

But if you want to create a problem, sure, put the students on the floor.

Reactions: UncleMark
Yeah we’ll i thought the fat heads were the lamest thing I’ve ever seen. Embarrassing.
I still don’t understand why people react like this to those big heads. It’s a game. It’s supposed to be fun. It’s entertainment. Am I upset that they’re gone? No, but it’s not a big deal either way.

I'm just gonna throw out a wild ass guess here.
You're currently a student, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: cryano
The problem with your example is that MSU and other “big-time” programs have no where near the number of student tickets that IU reserves. That also plays a role and yet the students still have main and end floor tickets.

Broken record I know...Glass needs to sell about 2K of those seats to the waiting list. Problem solved.
I’ve been on that same broken record! Agree. Students are great when they are there. Seems something wrong somewhere though to have an oversell and still 1-2k noshows.

I’ve been on that same broken record! Agree. Students are great when they are there. Seems something wrong somewhere though to have an oversell and still 1-2k noshows.
And some of these guys want to reward the noshows with the best seats in the house.

Reactions: RBB89
Yes, but it would provide the home team with an extra boost. We have one now, but not like we could/should. We need this! (And the recruits they get)
980x.jpg

Move them out of the balcony and into the best seats in the house....and they will come.
3cf71da1799845b97432fc1d1d10ca02--a-team-kansas-jayhawks.jpg

Kansas is maybe the worst example you could have used. They don't have students on the sideline.....

The photo you're showing is behind that basket at Phog Allen, but further behind the basket than the AH bleachers.

Still KU is universally regarded as the toughest place to play along with Cameron Indoor.

Kind of pokes a hole in your theory doesn't it?

Color coordinated T-shirts, and sideline seating don't make a great atmosphere. Good teams and great fans do.

Post another stupid picture now....

No, the point is that all KU students are TOGETHER, not up in the rafters. So they all have a synchronized plan.

No, the point is that all KU students are TOGETHER, not up in the rafters. So they all have a synchronized plan.

Are you under the impression that our whole student section is up in the rafters? Have you ever been to Allen Field House? Assembly Hall? Because I've been to big games at both.

The ground floor AH student section is essentially connected to the bleacher seats. They run right up to and alongside each other. That is essentially the same effect AFH has with there blocked off student section that encompasses behind the basket and the corner. It is LITERALLY the exact same layout for student tickets.

You don't know what you're talking about....

Plus the acoustics and vertical seating in Assembly Hall add to the noise more so than other stadiums.

want the students to have a much higher profile on tv, move the main camera back to the west side.

IU's student section basically has no presence on tv, because its' not in the "camera shot" like many schools.

IU's football situation isn't really "tv friendly" either.

the tv world sees our fball stadium from the west looking at the east stands.

while the view from the east looking towards the west stands, shows a much more impressive stadium.

that said, i would enjoy seeing bball or fball try my "human card section" idea.

want the students to have a much higher profile on tv, move the main camera back to the west side.

IU's student section basically has no presence on tv, because its' not in the "camera shot" like many schools.

IU's football situation isn't really "tv friendly" either.

the tv world sees our fball stadium from the west looking at the east stands.

while the view from the east looking towards the west stands, shows a much more impressive stadium.

that said, i would enjoy seeing bball or fball try my "human card section" idea.
None of that is going to happen. And I remain convinced that you haven’t attended a game in person in over 30 years.

That is the way it should be since college sports are supposed to be for the students first and foremost and not some rich entitled alumni.

And where is the money going to come from without those "rich entitled alumni"??

I know what I pay every year and it ain't cheap. The folks that have those floor chairs pay a lot more than me.

For sure.

I was at the NU game, row 28 and they were great seats. If I looked to my left there were MANY empty student seats. So they have a lot of good tickets and chose not to come.

Yes, but it would provide the home team with an extra boost. We have one now, but not like we could/should. We need this! (And the recruits they get)
980x.jpg
Why do you proclaim “We need this!” Do you know anything about Assembly Hall?

Our winning pct. at Assembly Hall is .832 (including the bad years). We’re not going to win more games just because “students” show up late and get on TV by dressing up like bananas.

Your Post 223 said you wanted the change so that “students” would be on TV. Creating a false TV image is more important to you than it is to me.

None of that is going to happen. And I remain convinced that you haven’t attended a game in person in over 30 years.

never said it would, just stating realities.

sorry about whatever emotional issues you're obviously going through.

I was in section F row 32 and on out side there were no empty seats.

I assume that you meant to type "on our side" in regards to empty seats. First off I was talking about the student section. Second there were empty non student seats on your side. Not a lot but there were some. I was on the opposite side and it is much easier to see the empty seats. The balcony opposite of me was not even half full.

Reactions: RBB89
there have always been numerous student no shows, even for the biggest games, even in the yrs we had our best teams.

up until 1990, (the yr Damon arrived), anyone could purchase a student ticket out font of AH, and upgrade it to get in.

i always figured the policy change was orchestrated by the secondary ticket market. (scalpers).

that policy change drove prices through the roof.

prior to the policy change, all those seats that otherwise would have been empty, got filled by non students.

that was before designated student sections as well though.

man i miss the days when you could just show up for any game, no matter how big, and get in cheap and get a good seat.

but then that was before the almighty dollar drove every decision IU makes.

I agree.....put the students on the floor in a TRUE student section, and they will come. Look at Duke. They are not letting $$$ get in the way. Put the non-students in the balconies. They had there turn. It's about the students NOW. Put them in them in the best seats, on the floor, halfcourt, first few rows, in plain view of the t.v. cameras, and the recruits will see this and come. They want the "Duke" type crowd/atmosphere.

58 seconds before tipoff...

(And yes, the game is “sold out.”)

there have always been numerous student no shows, even for the biggest games, even in the yrs we had our best teams.

up until 1990, (the yr Damon arrived), anyone could purchase a student ticket out font of AH, and upgrade it to get in.

i always figured the policy change was orchestrated by the secondary ticket market. (scalpers).

that policy change drove prices through the roof.

prior to the policy change, all those seats that otherwise would have been empty, got filled by non students.

that was before designated student sections as well though.

man i miss the days when you could just show up for any game, no matter how big, and get in cheap and get a good seat.

but then that was before the almighty dollar drove every decision IU makes.
That’s great. Do you want Indiana to compete athletically? Because that requires money and investment. Welcome to 2018.

That’s great. Do you want Indiana to compete athletically? Because that requires money and investment. Welcome to 2018.

LMAO,

yeah, no doubt IU would have had to completely shutter the entire mens bball program, probably the entire athletic dept, had they not eliminated the upgrade option.

that said, once they went to segregated student sections, it became a moot point.

we all realize you're here to defend anything and everything IU does, and attack anyone with any criticism, valid or not. but you might do both yourself and IU a favor by picking your battles a little better, and stopping for 2 seconds before your knee jerk responses, to asses if you really even have a credible response to make.

stopping the upgrades was nothing but giving a huge middle finger f u to incredibly loyal fans, and IU's own student body.

my guess is, the scalping industry paid IU to force non season ticket holders to have to buy from the scalping industry, rather than IU's own student body.

were you even alive then?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT