ADVERTISEMENT

Cheerleader outfits and some thoughts

IuGrad94

Newcomer
Mar 25, 2017
I mentioned this before, and most people agreed, but it was during the off-season, so I'm not sure of the sample size, so I'll ask your thoughts again.

Like everyone on this board, I watch several college basketball games on t.v. everyday.
I've always noticed how our cheerleaders wear "very conservative" outfits. (Turtlenecks, no bare midriffs, hardly any skin showing, mostly "cute" girls)
I am all for tradition, but our girls look like they are stuck in 1958. (Believe me, I totally get the "class" factor, the non-sleaziness, and the fact that our cheerleaders win national competitions all the time.) And I totally understand IU for "standing pat" in this day and age of "skin sells."

However, I can't help but think that we need to change a bit with the times. When a potential recruit sees us on t.v. or comes to a game in the dead of winter, are we doing enough to entice him? Bloomington had some of the best looking co-eds when I was a student there two decades ago. This does not translate to our cheerleaders; who are "the face of the female student body" when IU is shown on t.v. during hoop games.
Again, I respect what they do, and they are not unattractive, but can we at least make them a little more provocative for our potential recruits? Do we even have a dance team who shows bare arms?

I'm not saying that cheerleaders are the only reason why a basketball player chooses a school. Heck, that's probably not even .0001% of the reason why. As a high school AD, I tend to know how impressionable 17-year old boys think.
I'm not asking for UCLA, USC, or Oregon. I just want us to get out of the 1950's. I know it sounds crazy, but the conservative nature of our "image" might be hurting us a little. It's 2018.

Would I like to see an alternative basketball uniform every now and then? Yes, but not too often. Do we need names on the back of our jerseys? Probably not. I just know that image and style means a lot these days to kids.
Would I like to see our student section right at midcourt, down low, going nuts, right where the television has the main camera of the court? Yes. (Like Michigan and Michigan State, Ohio State, and most others do)
My point is that if we make some small changes here and there, and at least attempt to keep up with the times a bit more, than I think the overall product- IU Basketball- will improve.

By the way, I love the Archie hire. When he brings in his kids and gets them to buy into his defensive-minded approach, I think we will be a perennial Top 10 team again.
I just want to give IU a little "nudge" into the 21st century. (And yes, I'm aware of the facility updates. And they are fantastic)

So, question for all of us IU fans: What is one thing you would change "off the court" in order to help the IU hoop program? Beer at home games? Students seated lower? Cheerleaders outfits from this century? Uniform tweak? Better non-conference schedule?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I mentioned this before, and most people agreed, but it was during the off-season, so I'm not sure of the sample size, so I'll ask your thoughts again.

Like everyone on this board, I watch several college basketball games on t.v. everyday.
I've always noticed how our cheerleaders wear "very conservative" outfits. (Turtlenecks, no bare midriffs, hardly any skin showing, mostly "cute" girls)
I am all for tradition, but our girls look like they are stuck in 1958. (Believe me, I totally get the "class" factor, the non-sleaziness, and the fact that our cheerleaders win national competitions all the time.) And I totally understand IU for "standing pat" in this day and age of "skin sells."

However, I can't help but think that we need to change a bit with the times. When a potential recruit sees us on t.v. or comes to a game in the dead of winter, are we doing enough to entice him? Bloomington had some of the best looking co-eds when I was a student there two decades ago. This does not translate to our cheerleaders; who are "the face of the female student body" when IU is shown on t.v. during hoop games.
Again, I respect what they do, and they are not unattractive, but can we at least make them a little more provocative for our potential recruits? Do we even have a dance team who shows bare arms?

I'm not saying that cheerleaders are the only reason why a basketball player chooses a school. Heck, that's probably not even .0001% of the reason why. As a high school AD, I tend to know how impressionable 17-year old boys think.
I'm not asking for UCLA, USC, or Oregon. I just want us to get out of the 1950's. I know it sounds crazy, but the conservative nature of our "image" might be hurting us a little. It's 2018.

Would I like to see an alternative basketball uniform every now and then? Yes, but not too often. Do we need names on the back of our jerseys? Probably not. I just know that image and style means a lot these days to kids.
Would I like to see our student section right at midcourt, down low, going nuts, right where the television has the main camera of the court? Yes. (Like Michigan and Michigan State, Ohio State, and most others do)
My point is that if we make some small changes here and there, and at least attempt to keep up with the times a bit more, than I think the overall product- IU Basketball- will improve.

By the way, I love the Archie hire. When he brings in his kids and gets them to buy into his defensive-minded approach, I think we will be a perennial Top 10 team again.
I just want to give IU a little "nudge" into the 21st century. (And yes, I'm aware of the facility updates. And they are fantastic)

So, question for all of us IU fans: What is one thing you would change "off the court" in order to help the IU hoop program? Beer at home games? Students seated lower? Cheerleaders outfits from this century? Uniform tweak? Better non-conference schedule?

Thanks.
Students lower, NC-SOS improve. Everything else you mentioned is non-factors.

Whatever happened to the Red Steppers?

Thanks.
Better quit while you're behind.

Thanks.
I hope you are not serious, this has to be a joke! If it is a joke it's not even funny. You come across as a creepy pervert.

Thanks.
This is a really creepy post.

The cheerleaders are people. You talk about them like they’re there simply for you to stare at them for two hours. They are fine, and they’ve won several national championships in the past few years. They’re doing what they need to do. If the cheerleaders ask for new uniforms, fine. But a bunch of middle-aged men on here talking about it is really weird.

They do have alcohol at home games, up in the spirit of 76 club. The AD has looked into adding alcohol in the general areas at both AH and MS, and I suspect you will see it within the next 3 years.

We wore an alternate basketball uniform just this year, for the Duke game.

Our nonconference schedule this year was the toughest of any Big Ten team, and that’s with a few of those games already being scheduled before Miller was hired. I suspect it will be even more difficult next year.

The students get 7,800 tickets per game. They have almost the entirety of one side of Assembly Hall, and also behind one of the baskets, in addition to making up about 90% of both balconies combined. I have no idea what you’re talking about when you suggest that the students aren’t on camera. Like I said, they are literally right behind one of the baskets and you can always see them standing in the sections on the main level through the main camera.

Those seats directly behind the benches and behind the other basket cost anywhere from $10,000-$25,000 per season. We have a budget, so they aren’t giving up that money. The students routinely don’t show up and leave big chunks of seats empty, even though they oversold the student section again this year, and it looks terrible because most of those seats are general admission. I don’t think negatively affecting our revenue to give tickets to people who don’t show up is a particularly good idea. It’s already insanely loud in there as it is.

97pmba.jpg

But didn't they used to perform at bball games?
No. We used to have a dance team, but that was cut several years ago for budget reasons. I’m thinking like 2004 or so. There is a dance team club that performs every now and then at the basketball games.

Thanks.
If I was the father of one of those cheerleaders I would be very mad at you because of the word, "entice". I would say, "are you saying my daughter's job is to flaunt her sexuality so we can get a recruit? What exactly are you calling my daughter?".

Done with this board. Somebody asks what others think and gives his personal opinion and he's bashed.
Makes me want to root against my beloved alma mater now.
That's fine. Keep watching Duke, MSU, Kansas, UK, UNC, and others who have kept up with the times, going to Final Fours consistently, while IU goes nowhere.
Keep living in 1987. IU is irrelevant and the Big 10 stinks.

Reactions: IUgradman
Done with this board. Somebody asks what others think and gives his personal opinion and he's bashed.
That's fine. Keep watching Duke, MSU, Kansas, UK, UNC, and others who have kept up with the times, going to Final Fours consistently, while IU goes nowhere.
Wow, with that attitude IU doesn't need you...

Thanks.
My two cents...

Names on the back of jerseys.

Get some baggy shorts like the fab five wears. Kids these days love them some Chris Webber!

Bring the boys out on the court to some of that rap music! It's not my thing, but the kids seem to love that snoopy dog.

Halftime giveaways from mustards! The fans need something!

If none of that works, maybe hookers and blow like our friends down south do it!!

My two cents...

Names on the back of jerseys.

Get some baggy shorts like the fab five wears. Kids these days love them some Chris Webber!

Bring the boys out on the court to some of that rap music! It's not my thing, but the kids seem to love that snoopy dog.

Halftime giveaways from mustards! The fans need something!

If none of that works, maybe hookers and blow like our friends down south do it!!
I agree except need jazzy nicknames on jerseys rather than actual last names.

If I was the father of one of those cheerleaders I would be very mad at you because of the word, "entice". I would say, "are you saying my daughter's job is to flaunt her sexuality so we can get a recruit? What exactly are you calling my daughter?".
While I do not see this as creepy, I do see how someone might interpret it that way. No way to tell if the poster meant it to be overly suggestive, I think.

I take it that the poster feels the outfits are not modern. I see that. It isn't an issue with me. And I do not like overt excessive risque skin displays. Especially when it supposedly represents a public school.

But that's me.

But I wouldn't pounce on the poster either for bringing it up. Unless the poster takes the low road on subsequent posts...not a big deal.

I am thrilled with the Archie Miller hire. I'm glad he is changing the way to play basketball here. And I'm pleased those awful big heads are gone from under the basket during opponents' free throws. I see good things that Coach Miller is and hopefully will be implementing. For instance, effective screening, assists, high basketball IQ for players, team play, defense, not counting deflections...etc. I am not interested in any names on jerseys except for Indiana.

I just want to get a decent or high seed almost every year in the NCAAT, to be in the running for conference title consistently, to have a shot at another banner repeatedly, and for the players and coaches to represent Indiana University well. Not to mention to beat Purdue and hang a few more NCAAT Championship banners.

If you can't understand how ignorant your comments are, including this last one, then you need to go away. Scary that you work at a school.

Old men being aroused by cheerleaders is not why those teams go to the final four.

Is there anything left for us fans left to complain about? I believe after the cheerleaders uniforms complaint, that should have everything covered.

Uniforms
Names on the back of the jerseys.
Corn rolls. I know it is actually rows.
Assembly Hall
Coaching
Recruiting
To play or not to play walk on's.
The lack of size
The lack of shooters

What have I missed?

Reactions: RBB89

Thanks.
if recruits pick a school because of a peep show opportunity with the cheerleaders, they should go to UL. Keep your eyes on the basketball team and off our daughters, nieces, sisters, and friends.

With the sexual mistreatment going on in places like our universities, our cheerleaders are dressed just fine!

I’d like for us to throw out all of our dated traditions. UK, UNC, Kansas, UCLA etc all have as much or more tradition than we do but they don’t live in the 1980s.

Get New uniforms, put names on them, play new “hip” music, whatever it takes. Get with the times imo

Last edited:
While I do not see this as creepy, I do see how someone might interpret it that way. No way to tell if the poster meant it to be overly suggestive, I think.

I take it that the poster feels the outfits are not modern. I see that. It isn't an issue with me. And I do not like overt excessive risque skin displays. Especially when it supposedly represents a public school.

But that's me.

But I wouldn't pounce on the poster either for bringing it up. Unless the poster takes the low road on subsequent posts...not a big deal.

I am thrilled with the Archie Miller hire. I'm glad he is changing the way to play basketball here. And I'm pleased those awful big heads are gone from under the basket during opponents' free throws. I see good things that Coach Miller is and hopefully will be implementing. For instance, effective screening, assists, high basketball IQ for players, team play, defense, not counting deflections...etc. I am not interested in any names on jerseys except for Indiana.

I just want to get a decent or high seed almost every year in the NCAAT, to be in the running for conference title consistently, to have a shot at another banner repeatedly, and for the players and coaches to represent Indiana University well. Not to mention to beat Purdue and hang a few more NCAAT Championship banners.
Apparently you don't have a daughter...

I’d like for us to throw out all of our dated traditions. UK, UNC, Kansas, UCLA etc all have as much or more tradition than we do but they don’t like in the 1980s.

Get New uniforms, put names on them, play new “hip” music, whatever it takes. Get with the times imo

No.

Thanks.
Vote for Megan.

Thanks.

I’ll print this post and read it on vacation

Sheesh

Lol

Reactions: snarlcakes
Just win....and be relevant again.
Student section needs work. For supposedly the nation’s largest student section, not very coordinated. Other schools actually have yell practices and choreographed things with their student section. We had a couple kids in Halloween costumes.

Reactions: IUgradman
First of all I think your original post was without taste. But this one is really dumb. You are going to let a few people on a message board drive you away from rooting for your school? Oh my. Bye bye!

Reactions: hoosier4life55
No what? Don’t get with the times? Just stay in the 70s and 80s? I think we’ve tried that for quite a few years and it hasn’t worked.
Your suggestions are all cosmetic that have no impact on the quality of basketball played.

He asked for opinions and he got em.

Reactions: hgdownunder
No. We used to have a dance team, but that was cut several years ago for budget reasons. I’m thinking like 2004 or so. There is a dance team club that performs every now and then at the basketball games.

I have to disagree with this post. I have seen the RS at basketball games.

ADVERTISEMENT