ADVERTISEMENT

Cheerleader outfits and some thoughts

The OP was talking about potential recruits, NOT himself or any other 45-year old. He specifically said that. He said he works with high school atheltes, so I'm pretty sure he knows how they think and what they talk about.
If you look at the Oregon cheerleaders (or any other major college) and then look at how conservative IU's are dressed, it's night and day. Where do you think a potential recruit is going to go?
Stop acting like you're the "moral compass." He was not trying to say then girls were pieces of meat.
Oh yeah, I forgot, this is RBB's board, and he is always right, no matter what. Same thing. Every thread.
Pile on. Then pile on some more.
You guys are so outdated and such homers. Try having an open-mind for once.
The "IU has always done it this way" line is ridiculous, and we are getting left behind.
Another 31 years to a National Title? Our cheer outfits certainly ain't helping. Nor is our student section seats. Nor are our uniforms that BARELY ever change.
Change or get left behind.
RBB and a few others a re still living in 1987.
What? It’s not my board. I’m allowed to express my opinion too. I didn’t say you couldn’t post whatever you want. I just think it’s a stupid thread. Cheerleading uniforms have nothing to do with recruiting.

Don’t get all pissy when people give their opinions back to you.

And you think that’s because of the cheerleaders?
Yea RBB gotta be, YUPPERS, sure if YOU say so...Thanks for your well thought out contribution to the thread.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hoosier203
Idk abt that...if you mean you can see the out of bounds lines fron every seat...I think you may be wrong.
This is from row 14 (out of 16) in the corner of the balcony. I’ve sat all throughout both balconies. It’s not an issue now that the giant railings are gone. It’s never been an issue on the main level either, the only problem there was with seeing the scoreboard, and they have monitors under there now.

ifwyzo.jpg

Yea RBB gotta be, YUPPERS, sure if YOU say so...Thanks for your well thought out contribution to the thread.

giphy.gif
Then what is the argument here? He keeps saying to get out of 1987. You have people here writing paragraph after paragraph about cheerleaders and how they’re dressed, so there is obviously some crucial reason to change them. What is it?

Oregon isn’t getting recruits because of their cheerleading uniforms.

When is the last time you actually attended a sporting event in person? There are chairs on the sidelines at pretty much every arena in existence this point. And honestly I have no idea what you’re even complaining about. What part of the court am I missing here?

ifwyzo.jpg
My seats Sunday against NW was in section F row 32 which is the last section on the bench side of the arena. My seat was the last one in my row and I was right up against the wall and could see the whole court and score board. The only thing I could not see was everyone in the bleachers behind that goal on my end of the court.

Reactions: RBB89 and cryano
I mentioned this before, and most people agreed, but it was during the off-season, so I'm not sure of the sample size, so I'll ask your thoughts again.

Like everyone on this board, I watch several college basketball games on t.v. everyday.
I've always noticed how our cheerleaders wear "very conservative" outfits. (Turtlenecks, no bare midriffs, hardly any skin showing, mostly "cute" girls)
I am all for tradition, but our girls look like they are stuck in 1958. (Believe me, I totally get the "class" factor, the non-sleaziness, and the fact that our cheerleaders win national competitions all the time.) And I totally understand IU for "standing pat" in this day and age of "skin sells."

However, I can't help but think that we need to change a bit with the times. When a potential recruit sees us on t.v. or comes to a game in the dead of winter, are we doing enough to entice him? Bloomington had some of the best looking co-eds when I was a student there two decades ago. This does not translate to our cheerleaders; who are "the face of the female student body" when IU is shown on t.v. during hoop games.
Again, I respect what they do, and they are not unattractive, but can we at least make them a little more provocative for our potential recruits? Do we even have a dance team who shows bare arms?

I'm not saying that cheerleaders are the only reason why a basketball player chooses a school. Heck, that's probably not even .0001% of the reason why. As a high school AD, I tend to know how impressionable 17-year old boys think.
I'm not asking for UCLA, USC, or Oregon. I just want us to get out of the 1950's. I know it sounds crazy, but the conservative nature of our "image" might be hurting us a little. It's 2018.

Would I like to see an alternative basketball uniform every now and then? Yes, but not too often. Do we need names on the back of our jerseys? Probably not. I just know that image and style means a lot these days to kids.
Would I like to see our student section right at midcourt, down low, going nuts, right where the television has the main camera of the court? Yes. (Like Michigan and Michigan State, Ohio State, and most others do)
My point is that if we make some small changes here and there, and at least attempt to keep up with the times a bit more, than I think the overall product- IU Basketball- will improve.

By the way, I love the Archie hire. When he brings in his kids and gets them to buy into his defensive-minded approach, I think we will be a perennial Top 10 team again.
I just want to give IU a little "nudge" into the 21st century. (And yes, I'm aware of the facility updates. And they are fantastic)

So, question for all of us IU fans: What is one thing you would change "off the court" in order to help the IU hoop program? Beer at home games? Students seated lower? Cheerleaders outfits from this century? Uniform tweak? Better non-conference schedule?

Thanks.

If I didn't understand how the
#metoo movement came to be so necessary, I do now.

When is the last time you actually attended a sporting event in person? There are chairs on the sidelines at pretty much every arena in existence this point. And honestly I have no idea what you’re even complaining about. What part of the court am I missing here?

ifwyzo.jpg

lmao,

did you not even look at the pic you posted.

you can't see the near sideline, just as i stated in the post you responded to, other than where the chairs are empty, and none are empty once the game starts.

the lower down you are, the more of the near side of the court is blocked by those in the chairs.

you don't even have a view of the east sideline on tv anymore, because of the chairs.

those chairs have absolutely no business being there, and they are a giant middle finger salute from Fred to everyone in the front rows of the floor bleachers..

but yes, i do realize there's a much better chance we'll have advertising on the back of those chairs, than that they'll be removed.

this post was sponsored by AT&T, Citi Bank, Ford, Merck, and Coke.

lmao,

you can't see the near sideline, just as i stated in the post you responded to, other than where the chairs are empty, and none are empty once the game starts.

the lower down you are, the more of the near side of the court is blocked by those in the chairs.

you don't even have a view of the east sideline on tv anymore, because of the chairs.

those chairs have absolutely no business being there, and they are a giant middle finger salute from Fred to everyone in the front rows of the floor bleachers..

but yes, i do realize there's a much better chance we'll have advertising on the back of those chairs, than that they'll be removed.

Don't you know that RBB is always right, and we are all fools for saying anything negative about IU Athletics?
He says the students don't show up. Well how about putting them on the floor and giving them the BEST seats in the arena instead of up in the balconies. It's about the students. It shouldn't be about the almighty $.
Do it like Duke does, the students get the best seats, and the alumni, no matter how much they donate, get the worse seats. I know he'll call my dumb and insult me like he does anyone who disagrees with him.
If IU is not going to tear down AH, than switch the seating around. IU has it backward. Put the kids down low, and other prospective student-athletes and ball players will want to come here more.
And, because I know RBB is going to hate this:
alabama-crimson-tide-cheerleaders-perform-during-the-2016-college-picture-id504621918

lmao,

Don't you know that RBB is always right, and we are all fools for saying anything negative about IU Athletics?
He says the students don't show up. Well how about putting them on the floor and giving them the BEST seats in the arena instead of up in the balconies. It's about the students. It shouldn't be about the almighty $.
Do it like Duke does, the students get the best seats, and the alumni, no matter how much they donate, get the worse seats. I know he'll call my dumb and insult me like he does anyone who disagrees with him.
If IU is not going to tear down AH, than switch the seating around. IU has it backward. Put the kids down low, and other prospective student-athletes and ball players will want to come here more.
alabama-crimson-tide-cheerleaders-perform-during-the-2016-college-picture-id504621918

How are those chairs on the floor a middle finger salute from glass? They've been there forever...long before glass was here.

Reactions: IUgradman and RBB89
How are those chairs on the floor a middle finger salute from glass? They've been there forever...long before glass was here.
No kidding. They’ve been there since they removed the old media table along the sideline, which was around 2004 or 2005 I think.

This complaint is doubly stupid, since like I said, there used to just be a long table "in the way.” The pictures below are from around 99-2000 and 2005. The scoreboard we just replaced was installed in 2005. Glass arrived in 2009.

indiana-university-hoosier.jpg

1200px-Assemblyhallindiana.jpg

Last edited:
lmao,

Yeah it’s really hard to take you seriously when you don’t even know what you’re talking about. Those chairs were installed around 2005, and Glass was hired in 2009. Also, before those chairs were there, there was a media table which was the length of the court, with chairs behind them. In the exact same location. So the view was exactly the same. This is ludicrous.

He says the students don't show up. Well how about putting them on the floor and giving them the BEST seats in the arena instead of up in the balconies. It's about the students.

When is the last time you went to a game? The students DON'T show up. I was at the NU game and the student section (not the balcony) was maybe a little over half full.

I am not saying they don't deserve more low seats but I think they get the whole end where the band sits and the sections immediately adjacent to the band.

Reactions: IUgradman and RBB89
did the students show up fo
some-duke-blue-devil-students-gesture-towards-the-wake-forest-demon-picture-id52223150
r the Duke game? The UNC game last year?
THIS is what a home-court advantage should look like, and there is no reason why IU can't get 4,000-5,000 students down near the floor like this.

Reactions: IUgradman
When is the last time you went to a game? The students DON'T show up. I was at the NU game and the student section (not the balcony) was maybe a little over half full.

I am not saying they don't deserve more low seats but I think they get the whole end where the band sits and the sections immediately adjacent to the band.
You are correct. 7,800 of 17,222 is for students, including plenty of good seats.

97pmba.jpg

The students should be in the orange, green, and yellow, and blue sections. I guarantee they'd show up. Put them on top of the action, like most other big-time programs do.
And cue the "revenue" talk.....here it goes.
msudanceteam.jpg

This is what it should look like. STUDENTS with the best seats! What a novel concept.

You are correct. 7,800 of 17,222 is for students, including plenty of good seats.

97pmba.jpg
Makes you realize how tough it is to get a good seat as a member of the general public...most people say ‘lower 25 rows only’ when looking for tix...there just arent that many public tickets available. And shows the donation that some are required for their good seats.

That would be a good locked pic on the ticket forum...

The students should be in the orange, green, and yellow, and blue sections. I guarantee they'd show up. Put them on top of the action, like most other big-time programs do.
msudanceteam.jpg

This is what it should look like. STUDENTS with the best seats! What a novel concept.
I’m all for giving both sets of end-bleachers to the students. They already get the band side bleachers. I bet the students would like that, and would add to what you are pointing towards.

Long-time lurker here, but first-time poster.
Give the OP a break. All he made was suggestions to try to attract the recruits of today and the future. It's the same as updating facilities. Update the damn outfits. It couldn't hurt!
I didn't think anyone would be able top the OP as far as offensiveness goes, but this one did it for me. I hope this was just a poor choice of example, but a "facilities upgrade?" Seriously? Can you dehumanize the cheerleaders any more than that? I understand that many view them as just eye candy, but I can assure you that the IU cheer program takes what they do incredibly seriously...including the details of the uniforms. My wife was part of the crimson squad for 4 years.

Reactions: RBB89 and Walt542
msudanceteam.jpg

I’m all for giving both sets of end-bleachers to the students. They already get the band side bleachers. I bet the students would like that, and would add to what you are pointing towards.
The problem with your example is that MSU and other “big-time” programs have no where near the number of student tickets that IU reserves. That also plays a role and yet the students still have main and end floor tickets.

The problem with your example is that MSU and other “big-time” programs have no where near the number of student tickets that IU reserves. That also plays a role and yet the students still have main and end floor tickets.

Broken record I know...Glass needs to sell about 2K of those seats to the waiting list. Problem solved.

Reactions: RBB89 and IUgradman
We CAN be like Michigan State and Duke and several other big-time programs. If students aren't showing up, reduce the # of student seats to 4,000-5,000. And put those students right down in the best sideline seats.
We need a student section which is NOT spread out all over the place. The students section should be surrounding the court on both sides- or all four sides. Heck, how about even one side, right behind the benches, in full view of all those potential recruits watching at home. make them say 'WOW!" This should be done for every game at AH in which students are on campus for the game.
Put the non-students farther away. It's about a rowdy college atmosphere and having the students right in the ear of the opposing team.
Right now, the organizational set-up stinks. The alums should not have better seats than the students, no matter how deep their pocket are. Have a "true" student section.

Last edited:
Gonzaga is another example of how to seat the students. Right on top of the action. Top priority. Organized. Involved. Limit IU tickets to 4,000-5,000 and we can have something special like this. Students should never have to sit in the balconies in their undergrad days at IU.
gonzaga.jpg

We CAN be like Michigan State and Duke and several other big-time programs. If students aren't showing up, reduce the # of student seats to 4,000-5,000. And put those students right down in the best sideline seats.
We need a student section which is NOT spread out all over the place. The students section should be surrounding the court on both sides- or all four sides. This should be done for every game at AH in which students are on campus for the game.
Put the non-students farther away. It's about a rowdy college atmosphere and having the students right in the ear of the opposing team.
Right now, the organizational set-up stinks. The alums should not have better seats than the students, no matter how deep their pocket are. Have a "true" student section.
I hope you have at least some desire to win basketball games by out playing the competition rather than by creating an artificially charged atmosphere that encourages unruly behavior by rude students to insult and distract the opponents. You don’t seem to talk much about winning by playing good basketball. I know, I know, you want to be just like those wonderful privileged twerps at Duke.

I’m not sure I want a team that can’t win without rowdy students.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with wanting an intimidating home court environment. Why not emulate what Michigan State and Duke are doing?

Change, or get left behind. I'm not ignoring the coaching and x's and o's, but, let's face it, we need all the help we can get.
Some tweaks wold help along way into not only getting the top recruits, but also making sure they play in a rocking, intimidating environment which severely helps the home team and rattles the visitors.
o-CAMERON-INDOOR-STADIUM-facebook.jpg

Change, or get left behind. I'm not ignoring the coaching and x's and o's, but, let's face it, we need all the help we can get.
Some tweaks wold help along way into not only getting the top recruits, but also making sure they play in a rocking, intimidating environment which severely helps the home team and rattles the visitors.
o-CAMERON-INDOOR-STADIUM-facebook.jpg

When the Hall is rocking, it's as intimidating and loud as anywhere else. We don't need students on the sidelines and lame ass cheer sheets.

Leave those antics for the nuevo Blue Bloods like Duke. The "Izzone"? Are you kidding me?

God help me if the Hall ever stoops to something that lame (fatheads excluded of course).

Reactions: UncleMark
When the Hall is rocking, it's as intimidating and loud as anywhere else. We don't need students on the sidelines and lame ass cheer sheets.

Leave those antics for the nuevo Blue Bloods like Duke. The "Izzone"? Are you kidding me?

God help me if the Hall ever stoops to something that lame (fatheads excluded of course).
Yeah we’ll i thought the fat heads were the lamest thing I’ve ever seen. Embarrassing.

Gonzaga is another example of how to seat the students. Right on top of the action. Top priority. Organized. Involved. Limit IU tickets to 4,000-5,000 and we can have something special like this. Students should never have to sit in the balconies in their undergrad days at IU.

You've got to ask yourself.... "If I were in charge of pissing off athletic boosters, what would be the fastest way? How about take away the seats they waited 25 years to get!"

The fatheads were ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with the Izzone, as IU surely find out tomorrow night.
Whether you like it or now, Duke is not a "new" blue blood." They had been to several Final Fours before cutting down the nets for the first time in '91. They've been the best program over the past 30 years; and I am NOT a Duke fan.
Let's let the kids have fun!
izzone.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT