ADVERTISEMENT

Can we just get rid of the Brickyard 400?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Nascar fans seem to hate it, the empty seats in this hallowed ground is embarrassing. The race itself is pretty horrible. Is someone making that much money that this race can't be discontinued?

I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: sdhoosier
Nascar fans seem to hate it, the empty seats in this hallowed ground is embarrassing. The race itself is pretty horrible. Is someone making that much money that this race can't be discontinued?

I'll hang up and listen.
Amen!! I turned the TV on to see who won and saw they were still trying to come up with a winner. With each new rule they make and different ways to keep fans interested, they have done the opposite.

We've answered the question if stock cars can race at IMS. The question is, should they? Bring F1 back and let NASCAR go back to one of the closed tracks that was once popular.

Reactions: Eppy99

I'll hang up and listen.
I heard last week that IMS makes $15 million off the TV contract.

Reactions: crossfire74
I heard last week that IMS makes $15 million off the TV contract.
I don't see that as an impressive number given the bad press when pictures of empty seats are circulated. I think it hurts the brand of the IMS. Then again I'd take the 15 mil and head to PT's.

I had a chance to watch the last crash from the DVR and it appeared they were slow to turn on the yellow to allow the lead car to cross the line that they created to decide if they want to try another restart. TV didn't address the time it took to turn the light on. I guess the announcers want to keep their jobs. Maybe it wasn't intentional and it was getting dark, so the race may have been over anyway.

It is just funny they set up stupid rules, but have flexibility to bypass them when convenient. I still don't understand why they split races up into segments. I guess it is so fans can plan when to use the restroom or go to the concession stand?

Reactions: crossfire74

I'll hang up and listen.

I did get rid of it. Never turn it on!

I'm not a racing fan really, but I'd have much more interest in a F1 race at Indy than NASCAR. How long was the F1 race there and how was it received and do financially?

I did get rid of it. Never turn it on!

I'm not a racing fan really, but I'd have much more interest in a F1 race at Indy than NASCAR. How long was the F1 race there and how was it received and do financially?
The first race was well attended and interest faded as you would expect. I think the tire issues where only a few teams agreed to run ended the race.

NASCAR had a similar issue with tires in a race that required mandatory changes of tires every 10 or so laps. I had already been ignoring NASCAR, but I would expect that race lost many fans.

The first race was well attended and interest faded as you would expect. I think the tire issues where only a few teams agreed to run ended the race.

NASCAR had a similar issue with tires in a race that required mandatory changes of tires every 10 or so laps. I had already been ignoring NASCAR, but I would expect that race lost many fans.
Arrogance is the downfall for both Nascar and F1. I actually enjoyed the F1 race and the Euro fans...but that Bernie Eccelstone was a piece of work.

Nascar is in big trouble. While attendence sags in just about every sport, they are drawing less than half of what they were just 10 years ago (in many venues).

Reactions: snowling

I was at the 2005 US Grand Prix. Up in the grandstands we were unaware of the tire controversy and when all but six cars pulled off the grid after the warmup lap, we had no clue what was going on. This was pre-Smartphone after all. Eventually someone with a radio filled us in. People were pretty angry watching Schumacher and Barrichello parade around uncontested. It was Michelin's fault, not F1. But yeah, the race was a joke.*

F1 came back in 2006 and 2007, probably due to pre-existing contracts, but that was it. Too bad. I like the international flair of F1, and the cars are bad ass.

*BTW, IMS/F1 paid full refunds for everyone's tickets later that year, assuming you were the original ticket buyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling
WGAFF what Nascar fans think. It's a major a breeding ground for Trumptards.

I don't know why you'd think that.

race_fan.jpg

I'll hang up and listen.
NASCAR is some of the most boring shyte ever invented. Cars in a line making left turns...whooohooo.

NASCAR hung their hats on the stars of their sport. Gordon, Earnhardt and his son, Stewart, etc. This type of crap racing has happened for years, but the stars covered it up. This year, other than Junior, the names aren't that fabulous especially to Central Indiana race fans. Once Junior was knocked out of the race Sunday, at least 1/2 the crowd left.

NASCAR has a two fold problem. First the racing is single file and usually boring. Second, there's no real mega stars or mega battle between stars anymore. Jimmie Johnson is still pretty good , but he's older. And there's no real rivalries anymore. Once Junior hangs it up this year, I'm not sure what NASCAR will do.

Personally think that NASCAR needs to fix the racing first on the track, instead of trying to change the rules to create some sort of rivalry or drama. Racing fans aren't dumb, they want it to be settled on the track in head to head battles. Not some 3 segment deal that earns you playoff points and once you are in, teams just kinda cost through the season. Kurt Busch won Daytona and will be in the playoff but he ain't done squat since then. Where others have been more consistent.

But I agree, NASCAR needs to figure this thing out.

As for Indy, IF they really did make 15 million on that crap, then invest in some lights and lets go night racing there. Having any race in the middle of July at 3 PM is beyond stupid!

Reactions: iubud and Eppy99
NASCAR hung their hats on the stars of their sport. Gordon, Earnhardt and his son, Stewart, etc. This type of crap racing has happened for years, but the stars covered it up. This year, other than Junior, the names aren't that fabulous especially to Central Indiana race fans. Once Junior was knocked out of the race Sunday, at least 1/2 the crowd left.

NASCAR has a two fold problem. First the racing is single file and usually boring. Second, there's no real mega stars or mega battle between stars anymore. Jimmie Johnson is still pretty good , but he's older. And there's no real rivalries anymore. Once Junior hangs it up this year, I'm not sure what NASCAR will do.

Personally think that NASCAR needs to fix the racing first on the track, instead of trying to change the rules to create some sort of rivalry or drama. Racing fans aren't dumb, they want it to be settled on the track in head to head battles. Not some 3 segment deal that earns you playoff points and once you are in, teams just kinda cost through the season. Kurt Busch won Daytona and will be in the playoff but he ain't done squat since then. Where others have been more consistent.

But I agree, NASCAR needs to figure this thing out.

As for Indy, IF they really did make 15 million on that crap, then invest in some lights and lets go night racing there. Having any race in the middle of July at 3 PM is beyond stupid!
Nascar used the stupidly named "lucky dog" to keep drivers from racing back to the line to get laps back during a caution. The use of electronic scoring and freezing the running order made that unnecessary, but they kept it in place so fans of a driver wouldn't turn the race off if their guy lost a iap.

I hated them giving laps back, but they lost me when they went to the various points arrangements that stripped a good year long performance and made them start over. Then they had to change it because Jimmie Johnson won too many in a row. The number of rules and changes to letting the best cars and drivers win has ruined the sport. I still don't understand the segments. Why pause the race at the segment? Why even have segments if winning a race will get you to post season?

Oh, I almost forgot that a driver missed a big part of the year and still won the points. That is not how auto racing is supposed to work. That was the point I went from a casual viewer to someone that would watch the end of Daytona and Indy, but ignore everything else. Indycar > Nascar

In more important news, Indycar is testing the 2018 cars at IMS right now. Montoya is driving the Chevy and I don't remember who is driving the Honda. There is a link somewhere to watch it. I have it as background noise as I work!:)

Nascar used the stupidly named "lucky dog" to keep drivers from racing back to the line to get laps back during a caution. The use of electronic scoring and freezing the running order made that unnecessary, but they kept it in place so fans of a driver wouldn't turn the race off if their guy lost a iap.

I hated them giving laps back, but they lost me when they went to the various points arrangements that stripped a good year long performance and made them start over. Then they had to change it because Jimmie Johnson won too many in a row. The number of rules and changes to letting the best cars and drivers win has ruined the sport. I still don't understand the segments. Why pause the race at the segment? Why even have segments if winning a race will get you to post season?

Oh, I almost forgot that a driver missed a big part of the year and still won the points. That is not how auto racing is supposed to work. That was the point I went from a casual viewer to someone that would watch the end of Daytona and Indy, but ignore everything else. Indycar > Nascar

I've never been a NASCAR fan. But from the outside looking in it seems as if they're more concerned with creating artificial entertainment than actually running a legitimate competition. All of the rules seems designed to make sure that no one can possibly get too far ahead or too far behind. It's like watching the bags of potato chips race at the Tin Caps game. If BBQ is 40 feet behind rounding 2nd, never fear. It's not over.

Most sports have unfortunately migrated from athletic competition to entertainment for the masses, all in an attempt by the powers that be to get more eyes on their product.

While it may serve each sport's bottom line well, true sports fans will suffer from a diluted product.

NASCAR and the NBA lead the way, but you can see it in most major sports:

NASCAR: Lucky Dog, preposterous debris cautions to bunch the field > absolutely cost Gordon a 6th Brickyard when Menard won, playoff system vs full season points (although I've warmed to this a little). They need to regulate blocking too, it's getting ridiculous.

NBA: 24 second shot clock (too short) and illegal defense: We need points dammit, the common man doesn't want to see ball movement dissect a defense, SHOOT THE DAMN THREE, get rid of that help side defense, we want to see isolations.

NFL: A lot of this done in the name of safety, but:
You can't touch the QB. The league needs that star trotting out on the field each Sunday, or Monday, or Thursday.
You can't touch a receiver, before or after they catch the ball. Points, points, points, we need points to keep the common man's attention. A defensive battle or an Earl Campbell running game is just not exciting enough.

MLB: Not a lot here, but probably a more tightly wound ball and a tiny strike zone to favor offense. On a refreshing note, anyone else notice that they seem to be calling a much higher strike since the all star break? Refreshing.

Reactions: sdhoosier
Most sports have unfortunately migrated from athletic competition to entertainment for the masses, all in an attempt by the powers that be to get more eyes on their product.

While it may serve each sport's bottom line well, true sports fans will suffer from a diluted product.

NASCAR and the NBA lead the way, but you can see it in most major sports:

NASCAR: Lucky Dog, preposterous debris cautions to bunch the field > absolutely cost Gordon a 6th Brickyard when Menard won, playoff system vs full season points (although I've warmed to this a little). They need to regulate blocking too, it's getting ridiculous.

NBA: 24 second shot clock (too short) and illegal defense: We need points dammit, the common man doesn't want to see ball movement dissect a defense, SHOOT THE DAMN THREE, get rid of that help side defense, we want to see isolations.

NFL: A lot of this done in the name of safety, but:
You can't touch the QB. The league needs that star trotting out on the field each Sunday, or Monday, or Thursday.
You can't touch a receiver, before or after they catch the ball. Points, points, points, we need points to keep the common man's attention. A defensive battle or an Earl Campbell running game is just not exciting enough.

MLB: Not a lot here, but probably a more tightly wound ball and a tiny strike zone to favor offense. On a refreshing note, anyone else notice that they seem to be calling a much higher strike since the all star break? Refreshing.
I don't follow MMA, but is this partly why it became so popular? Seems like they have very few rules.

I don't follow MMA, but is this partly why it became so popular? Seems like they have very few rules.
I haven't watched MMA in a while, but it is intriguing. I wouldn't say they have very few rules, but they don't have any BS rules. Yes, MMA is true competition, no BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT