ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping Allen is just wasting more time; same with Dolson

Seyton

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2001
Naperville, IL
He's a horrible CEO. He's wasted year after year with incompetent offensive coordinators, incompetent offensive line coaches (recruiters), incompetent defensive coordinators (why he went back to calling the defense).

He seems to be a really good defensive coordinator/coach. That's as high as he's capable of going and being effective. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, at least in my opinion, that he can't run a program in large part because he simply can not identify competent coaches. That won't miraculously get better going forward.

It's no different than anything else. It comes from the top and it's really simple. Bad programs/organizations have people incapable of hiring the right people for the jobs from the top down.

IU football is no different than IU basketball. They need to hire a successful retread needing a second or third chance or someone crazy who's had success like like a Mike Leach (RIP). Just stop with the hope strategy of cheap, inexperienced, mid major or less lightning in a bottle coaches. It doesn't work. It hardly ever does. (Woody is still on the clock for me - he's still digging out from shit the program allowed for the past 20 years)

This isn't as hard as they're making it. It's only hard because the leadership, as we all know, isn't particularly competent.

For AD, for football, for basketball there is an overwhelming need to hire someone who has proven their ability to have considerable, sustained success at the highest levels. Indiana, especially in basketball, but in all sports, should not be a proving ground. Ever.

And for the love of God we have to stop placating to idiots who "feel" x coach or AD is "slimy" and therefore never even attempt to get people who would have had our programs and department rolling for years now.

Now Dolson has tied us to more bad, stupid coaches by allowing Carey and Fuente. It never ends. Just more wasted money and time.

I agree with the idea that Dolson and Allen need to be shown the door.

With next year's expansion looming, the conference gets MUCH tougher moving forward. Indiana needs to ride with competent people.

Dolson might be competent along the lines of other sports, but this is a football world. He hasn't shown the chops to manage a quality football program. Allen has made bad hires, that's his demise.

With next year's expansion looming, the conference gets MUCH tougher moving forward. Indiana needs to ride with competent people.

Dolson might be competent along the lines of other sports, but this is a football world. He hasn't shown the chops to manage a quality football program. Allen has made bad hires, that's his demise.
Don’t sleep on Scott.

That's cool, but until we can get some backing for upgrades to facilitates, no coach worth anything is going to come here.

I've been saying this for a while, but the problem starts at the top, and it's not Dolson, but the people above him, the administration that thinks basketball is king. Until their thinking changes, we're going to always be stuck at the bottom.

Would love to be wrong about Dolson
We have seen him act swiftly and unexpectedly and he has made an error as well, but the guy has been around a long time. while not as well connected as Fred he was ready when Fred decided to hang it up

Let him work

Reactions: vesuvius13
That's cool, but until we can get some backing for upgrades to facilitates, no coach worth anything is going to come here.

I've been saying this for a while, but the problem starts at the top, and it's not Dolson, but the people above him, the administration that thinks basketball is king. Until their thinking changes, we're going to always be stuck at the bottom.

Many saw the surveys around stadium upgrades and oremium seating so hopefully that gets back on track. The Mellencamp replacement has to happen though.

Many saw the surveys around stadium upgrades and oremium seating so hopefully that gets back on track. The Mellencamp replacement has to happen though.

Many point to Kansas and their coach as a school on the rise.

Do people realize that in his contract that Kansas has to upgrade their facilities? If they didn't do that, he wasn't going their.

Facilities are a big deal in football. People may not realize it, but they are. It shows a commitment. We're so far down the totem pole in that regard that it's going to be hard to get a high quality coach to take a look at us, when Allen leaves, IMO, if we don't start making changes soon.

Do people realize that in his contract that Kansas has to upgrade their facilities? If they didn't do that, he wasn't going their.

Facilities are a big deal in football. People may not realize it, but they are. It shows a commitment. We're so far down the totem pole in that regard that it's going to be hard to get a high quality coach to take a look at us, when Allen leaves, IMO, if we don't start making changes soon.
With the large TV contract pumping in big money, it's hard to understand why facilities wouldn't be addressed.

I just looked the Big Ten TV deal up. The article states that the Big Ten is projected to distribute 80-100 million per year to its members. This deal runs through the conclusion of the 2029-30 athletic year.

We are talking roughly 700 million in revenue from now until the contract expires. Is it that difficult to build a much need facility that would be a fraction of 700 million dollars!!?? 🤔

With the large TV contract pumping in big money, it's hard to understand why facilities wouldn't be addressed.

I just looked the Big Ten TV deal up. The article states that the Big Ten is projected to distribute 80-100 million per year to its members. This deal runs through the conclusion of the 2029-30 athletic year.

We are talking roughly 700 million in revenue from now until the contract expires. Is it that difficult to build a much need facility that would be a fraction of 700 million dollars!!?? 🤔
Half of that will go to non-athletic projects. McAussie diverted tens of millions of TV $ to build the Global and International Studies Building.

We need donors to step up.

Look at all the facilities around the nation. They've all got a crazy name or brand associated with it. The TV money will help, but it's not the end all be all.

That money from TV isn't just used for football. Football and basketball make a profit. Everything else is a loser. With the conference expanding, it's also going to get a lot more expensive to run a athletic department.

Yes, it’s above Dolson, but Dolson and his predecessors are the natural products of ignorance and indifference. We perform poorly in football because our top to bottom leadership in respect of football is terrible. Even the tailgaters should know that.

We need donors to step up.

Look at all the facilities around the nation. They've all got a crazy name or brand associated with it. The TV money will help, but it's not the end all be all.

That money from TV isn't just used for football. Football and basketball make a profit. Everything else is a loser. With the conference expanding, it's also going to get a lot more expensive to run a athletic department.
We had over $30 million in profit last year before the new TV deal. The Clemson football facility (for example) cost $55 million to build in 2017. I think we could allocate some funds for a new facility and still be fine. Even after all the non-revenue sport expenses we had more money left over than any other school.

With even a half way decent football program, IU would be rolling in money.

We had over $30 million in profit last year before the new TV deal. The Clemson football facility (for example) cost $55 million to build in 2017. I think we could allocate some funds for a new facility and still be fine. Even after all the non-revenue sport expenses we had more money left over than any other school.

With even a half way decent football program, IU would be rolling in money.

That's 2017 money.

Kansas just announced their facilities will cost above $300 million.

Northwestern just announced a plan to build facilities and is the only one know without public funding around $800 million.

Again, until IU gets serious about football and can find donors that will pony up real dollars, we will be at the bottom and always at the top of these lists of programs of highest programs for profits because we need to invest to ultimately make money.

Half of that will go to non-athletic projects. McAussie diverted tens of millions of TV $ to build the Global and International Studies Building.
Global and international studies? Borrring. The BOT needs to cancel that and divert it to much more profitable and infinitely more intertaining endeavors

Seyton, you have been a a reasoned poster for a lot of years so I respect your opinion.

I am 75% sure Allen is not the guy for the next level although I do love his heart and passion for IU.
On Dolson I was not for him when he got it but overall I think he has managed the business side of the athletic program pretty well and has done a good job with the 24/7 mantra. Like many AD's we overcommit to big sport coaches without results or hold on to long. With one of the lowest overall budgets than anybody in the Big Ten especially football we are still struggling but overall financial management with the Big Ten tv money has been decent as the chart showed previously in this post.

I will as usual leave my deeper evaluation for the future until the end of the year. The Michigan showed me we can be more creative on offense with Carey and Fuente but Michigan is the best of the Big Ten right now even if they don't win it. While my percentage chances for wins is dwindling with every week. I still see Rutgers, MSU and Purdue as the most likely. I think Illinois is starting to develop more and will be difficult. Right now, I see 0 chance with Penn State.

It is not in the money sports I have seen quality results from men's soccer, men and women's swimming, baseball, women's softball and women's basketball.

Other sports that have improved but maybe not made a big ten or national dent are volleyball, wrestling, women's soccer, water polo, rowing, and field hockey.

I love the Big Ten network and have loved watching this year's women's soccer and volleyball teams. Women's Soccer has been ranked a couple of times and volleyball has a real shot at making the NCAA's if they continue the run they are on.

Men's basketball has a chance to be good and I am a Woodson fan from my student days so I am all in on seeing the next couple of years.

Just my opinion but that is where I am currently at with the athletic programs.

What's a good estimate for Ohio St., Michigan, or Penn St. football revenue difference over IU over the last 50 years?

My guess is 2-3 billion.

I'm including NIL revenue for these universities over 50 years as well btw. Apparel sales, etc.

If remotely accurate in this estimate, it seems like football investments would have a positive return over the forthcoming 50 years.

IU should fire Dolson & Allen and hire the Louisville AD. Until
IU makes the necessary changes this train wreck will go
on for years.

Seyton, you have been a a reasoned poster for a lot of years so I respect your opinion.

I am 75% sure Allen is not the guy for the next level although I do love his heart and passion for IU.
On Dolson I was not for him when he got it but overall I think he has managed the business side of the athletic program pretty well and has done a good job with the 24/7 mantra. Like many AD's we overcommit to big sport coaches without results or hold on to long. With one of the lowest overall budgets than anybody in the Big Ten especially football we are still struggling but overall financial management with the Big Ten tv money has been decent as the chart showed previously in this post.

I will as usual leave my deeper evaluation for the future until the end of the year. The Michigan showed me we can be more creative on offense with Carey and Fuente but Michigan is the best of the Big Ten right now even if they don't win it. While my percentage chances for wins is dwindling with every week. I still see Rutgers, MSU and Purdue as the most likely. I think Illinois is starting to develop more and will be difficult. Right now, I see 0 chance with Penn State.

It is not in the money sports I have seen quality results from men's soccer, men and women's swimming, baseball, women's softball and women's basketball.

Other sports that have improved but maybe not made a big ten or national dent are volleyball, wrestling, women's soccer, water polo, rowing, and field hockey.

I love the Big Ten network and have loved watching this year's women's soccer and volleyball teams. Women's Soccer has been ranked a couple of times and volleyball has a real shot at making the NCAA's if they continue the run they are on.

Men's basketball has a chance to be good and I am a Woodson fan from my student days so I am all in on seeing the next couple of years.

Just my opinion but that is where I am currently at with the athletic programs.

Nice post!

Well TA won’t be here long so if better facilities are a prerequisite for a food coach we best get going.

The big need is the Mellencamp replacement as I mentioned

Allen seems like Archie going into his final year. Resigned to his fate and just waiting for the axe to fall and the buyout checks to start rolling in. Dolson might be more incompetent than Glass if that's even possible.

Jamey Chadwell or Jeff Traylor.
Either would be good.
IU will need a FB coach that gets recruits attention and will pull in money to upgrade IU's football program along with pulling in top coaches as coordinators and great recruiters. Based on schools that have done this are at lower levels than the coaches posters have suggested. Find D3 or NAIA coaches that have won big for years IE like DeBoer did, and then they are worth a shot.

IU will need a FB coach that gets recruits attention and will pull in money to upgrade IU's football program along with pulling in top coaches as coordinators and great recruiters. Based on schools that have done this are at lower levels than the coaches posters have suggested. Find D3 or NAIA coaches that have won big for years IE like DeBoer did, and then they are worth a shot.

Chadwell makes 4 million at Liberty. That’s a school with big money donors and all in on their sports.
Willie Fritz is $2.5 million as is Traylor. IU will have to pay the next guy around $6 million to attract anybody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT