ADVERTISEMENT

Buyout.

Alford would get it. Now his buyout and the Pierre Pierce would fans want Alford that's the question. Alford with former IU players on the staff would do alot for Indiana basketball. Rumor in 2007 was Alford, Bailey, Smart on staff but Greenspan hated Alford from days at SWMS.
I am not against Alford because of the PP incident. Yes bad, but that's not all about Alford. When he was under consideration for the ISU job before SWMS, their admin found him to be so much of a demanding and arrogant prick in interviews that they just backed off. Demanding his Dad be an asst. coach etc. Of this I do have first hand knowledge.

I am not against Alford because of the PP incident. Yes bad, but that's not all about Alford. When he was under consideration for the ISU job before SWMS, their admin found him to be so much of a demanding and arrogant prick in interviews that they just backed off. Demanding his Dad be an asst. coach etc. Of this I do have first hand knowledge.

Insisting Sam be allowed to work on his staff was just smart on Steve's part, despite any appearance of nepotism. Sam (at that point) had been coaching in Indiana high school basketball for almost 30 years, and the contacts/relationships established over that career would be invaluable.

Steve has rubbed many a booster the wrong way over the years, but on that point he was entirely justified.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Absolutely true.

Two stories (and, being from New Castle, I know both of these to be true):

1. When playing at Illinois State (where Greenspan was AD at the time) Alford asked Greenspan to leave the gym while the Bears were practicing (he kept hanging around for no reason; Steve believed he was trying to get info to give to the Redbirds staff). As Greenspan left, he turned out the lights to the arena.
  2. When the IU job came open in 2006, I saw an email Steve had sent to a guy in New Castle he's is good friends with (coached him in Optimist basketball when the Alfords first moved to NC) saying Greenspan didn't even contact him about the job. So, no, Alford was never a candidate in 2006.
I have been told that IU was ready to hire Alford in 2001, but Brand nixed that because of not giving the job to Davis would (in Brand's eyes) not look like IU was giving an African-American a fair shake.

I won't pretend to have inside-IU info on this but my assumptions for the first decision are similar to yours. I could, however, introduce you to a retired Gulfstream pilot who had a very interesting flight plan that was cancelled quite late.

• Wow
Reactions: B_Town_Buford
I won't pretend to have inside-IU info on this but my assumptions for the first decision are similar to yours. I could, however, introduce you to a retired Gulfstream pilot who had a very interesting flight plan that was cancelled quite late.
I've been told by several people close to Steve here in NC he was going to be hired - up until Brand got involved. One of them was the individual who showed me the email on Greenspan never giving him a courtesy call that he wasn't going to be a candidate in 2006. So you're pilot "probably" was instructed to cancel said flight plan. ;)

I've been told by several people close to Steve here in NC he was going to be hired - up until Brand got involved. One of them was the individual who showed me the email on Greenspan never giving him a courtesy call that he wasn't going to be a candidate in 2006. So you're pilot "probably" was instructed to cancel said flight plan. ;)
He was never offered the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT