ADVERTISEMENT

BTT Women

Spirito76

Sophomore
Feb 23, 2008
Wow. Women lost a 14-pt lead in the third. 3/4 of the game without Holmes to protect the rim & Michigan scored at will inside. Plus the refs allowed more mugging for one team.

Completely sucked in the 2nd half.
Holmes better get real healthy or there not going deep in the tournament .
That's 💯 pct !

Reactions: kkott
Wow. Women lost a 14-pt lead in the third. 3/4 of the game without Holmes to protect the rim & Michigan scored at will inside. Plus the refs allowed more mugging for one team.
Lost a 17 point lead in the second half. Another choke job in the post season. Only hope is that this inspires them to actually do something in the NCAA tourney this year. We’ll see…

Reactions: IUgradman
Holmes injury affected their play? Sounds like an excuse.

Wow love the fun takes. They came out inspired and played great first half and did lose it to a Michigan team on fire. We had a big lead and blew it when Holmes got hurt and the OSU press last year so similar results in BTT two years in a row.

Moren doesn't make excuses and knows that if we want to have any chance at a decent NCAA run we have to be as healthy as possible. We lost a close game at the end against Miami last year and Mac was playing at about 70%. Last night she may have been 50 percent when she tried to play and Meister about 75%. Meister gave 100% effort but did not have full go. Parrish even tweaked her foot in the third quarter that caused her to miss several games and was out for part of Michigan's initial run that never stopped.

I really think that Moren went with what she thought they could do but knows Mac does not want to finish her career this way. Everyone has two weeks now to rehab and recover the best they can to try and make a run in the tourney.

Reactions: kkott and MIS01
Is IU still likely to be a host? Doesn’t seem like bracketologies are updated yet.
I believe so but you never know. The Iowa and Maryland wins put us back solidly in as a host after the bad Illinois loss. I don't know how much they will factor in the Holmes injury in the loss last night. Ohio State loss to Maryland may have dropped them to a two seed from a one and Iowa appears headed back to a one seed especially if they win the BTT.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Wow love the fun takes.
I never sugar-coat my opinions just because I’m talking about the women. If I would say it about the men after a loss I will say it about the ladies. There are certain posters here that always chafe at that, but I don’t understand why. Equality, right?

I never sugar-coat my opinions just because I’m talking about the women. If I would say it about the men after a loss I will say it about the ladies. There are certain posters here that always chafe at that, but I don’t understand why. Equality, right?
I have no problem with you sharing your opinions on either team equally without sugar. We definitely are a different team without a healthy Holmes to make the other team focus a lot of defensive effort on her and freeing up our shooters more. Both BTT tournament collapses and the loss to Miami in last year's tourney were affected by Holmes not being at 100%. No excuses just part of what team and coach had to deal with.

The men's teams two worst injuries that may have cost better tourney runs were Scott May broken arm in 1975 and Alan Henderson knee in 1993. They happen and you have to figure out a way to overcome or lose.

I have no problem with you sharing your opinions on either team equally without sugar. We definitely are a different team without a healthy Holmes to make the other team focus a lot of defensive effort on her and freeing up our shooters more. Both BTT tournament collapses and the loss to Miami in last year's tourney were affected by Holmes not being at 100%. No excuses just part of what team and coach had to deal with.

The men's teams two worst injuries that may have cost better tourney runs were Scott May broken arm in 1975 and Alan Henderson knee in 1993. They happen and you have to figure out a way to overcome or lose.
IU had the game under control without Holmes. They suddenly stopped hitting shots, stopped defending down low and Mi kept pouring it on. IU got back on their heels and never recovered.

IU simply shrinks come BTT in men and women's.

Our record in the BTT tells you all you need to know about IU bball that past 30 years.
Don't think it's fair to lump last night in with "other" games. We were missing our team leader, AA and best player and her backup isn't near her level, and was injured too. They played great in the first half and were shooting lights out. I actually went to bed and was going to watch the second half on my bedroom TV but it was on the fritz and I didn't want to move back to the living room. Glad I didn't!

I don't fault Moren for resting Holmes if she was hurt, but question putting her in in the 4th if that was the concern. Two weeks should be enough time to get MH and LM healthy. Totally agree with risking a BTT title to be healthy for the tourney.

Heart isn’t an issue with this team. Hopefully they get healthy, take this a motivation, and make a run — ideally starting in Bloomington.
Didn’t help last year against Miami in the NCAA tourney. I think Moren’s team has been very disappointing in tournament play. They need to have a good NCAA tourney to save face or they’re just a program that has a good regular season, but chokes in tournament play.

Reactions: gator mcCluskey
We didn't figure out a way. We lost. That way to figuring out get's a whole lot more tortuous when key injuries present giant obstacles to maneuver around.

Didn’t help last year against Miami in the NCAA tourney. I think Moren’s team has been very disappointing in tournament play. They need to have a good NCAA tourney to save face or they’re just a program that has a good regular season, but chokes in tournament play.
You need to read the above. Not an excuse but this team and last year's team didn't have the depth to overcome such losses of key personnel. Choke, come on!!

You need to read the above. Not an excuse but this team and last year's team didn't have the depth to overcome such losses of key personnel. Choke, come on!!
As I have said, one of Terri Moren's biggest weaknesess is she only plays and focuses on her 5 starters. She doesn't develop her bench so any injury is a major disaster for IU women. This is why getting two portal starters is important if Moren and IU want to stay towards the top of the BT, the players on the bench are not going to be able to step into starting roles without a massive dropoff in results next year.

Reactions: GOSHOE71
The women’s team is pretty good but definitely not elite and they were never going to be elite this year. When they lose, it’s a double digit drubbing. There’s enough really high level teams in the tournament that will take them out with ease this year. That’s not anything negative, they just aren’t a team that has enough roster strength to beat the likes of a South Carolina, Stanford or OSU.
There’s at least 10 teams this year that would beat Morten’s team like a drum. Again, they are a good team. Nothing great.

Reactions: 82IU
The women’s team is pretty good but definitely not elite and they were never going to be elite this year. When they lose, it’s a double digit drubbing. There’s enough really high level teams in the tournament that will take them out with ease this year. That’s not anything negative, they just aren’t a team that has enough roster strength to beat the likes of a South Carolina, Stanford or OSU.
There’s at least 10 teams this year that would beat Morten’s team like a drum. Again, they are a good team. Nothing great.
OSU? Meh. Don't disagree with the general premise though. I feel like Sweet Sixteen is probably the ceiling.

IU had the game under control without Holmes. They suddenly stopped hitting shots, stopped defending down low and Mi kept pouring it on. IU got back on their heels and never recovered.
Things started going south when Parrish was hurt. They appeared to be prepared to play without Holmes and a hobbled Meister, but not without another significant player who was injured during the game. Stuff happens. Time to get healthy and ready for the tournament.

Reactions: Army88 and jrbjrb
IMO, the only reason MH was put in the game w/2 min left was to tell the NCAA Committee that her injury was not season ending and that she will be ready to play in two weeks, thus preserving the #4 seed and hosting the first two rounds. Why risk additional injury by playing her with a bigger prize ahead of you.

They certainly highlighted our vulnerability to quick, physical guards, but also Holmes was a shell of herself. Hoped she might have helped the roster more defending those quick guards (Bargessers a good defender) or a backup post, especially since we lost the Big East girl last year (?), but the girl she brought in has been hurt all year. I still think we're vulnerable at both spots if MH is hurt.

An elite 8 and sweet 16 for a program that hadn’t won a tournament game before she got here and she’s very disappointing? Last year was the only time her team disappointed and they were dealing with a significant injury issue

As I have said, one of Terri Moren's biggest weaknesess is she only plays and focuses on her 5 starters. She doesn't develop her bench so any injury is a major disaster for IU women. This is why getting two portal starters is important if Moren and IU want to stay towards the top of the BT, the players on the bench are not going to be able to step into starting roles without a massive dropoff in results next year.
Now do Katie Gearlds

Now do Katie Gearlds
NAIA coach with no D1 experience hired by an AD that only cares about football and men's basketball. She's recruiting way above expectations, but runs a very simple offense that severely limits how good we can be. A lot like Mike Woodson, but with very good/ excellent recruiting. 3 top 100 players in the freshman class, and three more signed or committed including a top 30 6'6 center that can kinda dunk as a hs sophomore.

Jury is out on if she can coach at this level or is over her head. Like MW her first two years were better than the previous decade, and this year is a poor result. Two more years to see whether her coaching catches up to her recruiting or she was a bad choice by a lazy AD.

Last edited:
NAIA coach with no D1 experience hired by an AD that only cares about football and men's basketball. She's recruiting way above expectations, but runs a very simple offense that severely limits how good we can be. A lot like Mike Woodson, but with very good/ excellent recruiting. 3 top 100 players in the freshman class, and three more signed or committed including a top 30 6'6 center that can kinda dunk as a hs sophomore.

Jury is out on if she can coach at this level or is over her head. Like MW her first two years were better than the previous decade, and this year is a poor result. Two more drains to see whether her coaching catches up TY her recruiting or she was a bad choice by a lazy AD.
Her recruiting definitely looks good on paper but even the freshman that she had this year, I only see Jones as being good on a team that is above average.

Stevenson was co-freshman of the year, and Swanson has come in strong rehabbing from a serious knee injury and surgeries. Monson and McKenna Layden may never be more than deep bench, we'll see.

Stevenson was co-freshman of the year, and Swanson has come in strong rehabbing from a serious knee injury and surgeries. Monson and McKenna Layden may never be more than deep bench, we'll see.
Being co-freshman of the year in the Covid era doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to end up being any good. Someone has to win it. She has a high IQ and can make shots, but she’s very unathletic, slow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT