ADVERTISEMENT

Braden Smith “I didn’t watch Purdue”

KJL

Recruit
Aug 17, 2001
Happened across a pre-Illinois interview with Braden Smith on YouTube. He said he grew up watching Kansas and IU. Said he didn’t watch Purdue. Yikes. 😳

Graduated HS in 22…

“Grew up watching” probably means late elementary to middle school to early HS… so 2015 ish to 2020 maybe?

Purdue had some good teams with Edwards. IU had Yogi for a couple years probably when he was starting to get good in late elementary/early middle school. And then we had Romeo.

Kansas is always good. Don’t remember who they had.

No clue about how he watched bball…but most kids nowadays focus on individual players more than anything. Not hard to see a kid following Yogi, OG, Troy, Juwan, Romeo…more than Edwards, Haas, and Mathias.

Good coach at IU, that coaches a fun style, that is involved and active with Indiana HS and AAU coaches…will dominate Purdue again. Namely because we’ll get more than our fair share of top Indiana kids AND good national kids.

Happened across a pre-Illinois interview with Braden Smith on YouTube. He said he grew up watching Kansas and IU. Said he didn’t watch Purdue. Yikes. 😳
When he was 5 IU was know for basketball, but now they are a lower division BT team. Can see why he is at Purdue, they WIN! IU used to be about winning, now they are know for their coaching retirement program!

Graduated HS in 22…

“Grew up watching” probably means late elementary to middle school to early HS… so 2015 ish to 2020 maybe?

Purdue had some good teams with Edwards. IU had Yogi for a couple years probably when he was starting to get good in late elementary/early middle school. And then we had Romeo.

No clue about how he watched bball…but most kids nowadays focus on individual players more than anything. Not hard to see a kid following Yogi, OG, Troy, Juwan, Romeo…more than Edwards, Haas, and Mathias.

Good coach at IU, that coaches a fun style, that is involved and active with Indiana HS and AAU coaches…will dominate Purdue again. Namely because we’ll get more than our fair share of top Indiana kids AND good national kids.
When did IU dominate Purdue?

I keep calling you out. Your historical posts all seem to be PU oriented. Why do you come over here to try to slob on your own team?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
When did IU dominate Purdue?
11-16 or so. With Crean as our coach of all people. It doesn’t, and won’t, take much for it to happen again. Mt Edey leaves, IU gets a decent coach…enjoy it while it lasts.

That was probably right about the time he was pretending to be people in his driveway. Probably lots of Hulls, Dipo, Zeller, Yogi moments. I bet he even did the Sheehey flex.

Graduated HS in 22…

I don't think that's nearly as certain as it once was.

Reactions: BleedinGold
I don't think that's nearly as certain as it once was.
I joke with the resident Purdue lurkers. Painter has established himself, I think. They’re gonna be good most years I’m sure.

But they don’t have IUs ceiling. And it won’t take Brad Stevens to get us at or beyond Purdues level again. Tom Crean did it in 3 years, without NIL or the transfer portal.

11-16 or so. With Crean as our coach of all people. It doesn’t, and won’t, take much for it to happen again. Mt Edey leaves, IU gets a decent coach…enjoy it while it lasts.

That was probably right about the time he was pretending to be people in his driveway. Probably lots of Hulls, Dipo, Zeller, Yogi moments. I bet he even did the Sheehey flex.
The “IU gets a decent coach” is the part that’s not a given. I agree it can turn around quickly but it really depends on that statement.

Reactions: kkott
I joke with the resident Purdue lurkers. Painter has established himself, I think. They’re gonna be good most years I’m sure.

But they don’t have IUs ceiling. And it won’t take Brad Stevens to get us at or beyond Purdues level again. Tom Crean did it in 3 years, without NIL or the transfer portal.
I'm not so sure that is at all accurate anymore.

I haven't watched a PUke game in over 4 decades except when played against IU. RMK threw 1 chair. Comeover wore out 6-7 dozen coats throwing them around.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
When he was 5 IU was know for basketball, but now they are a lower division BT team. Can see why he is at Purdue, they WIN! IU used to be about winning, now they are know for their coaching retirement program!
Wrong - he is at pu because Archie didn’t offer him, didn’t show any interest. If IU had offered he would be at IU

Why would you want him? He’s not tall enough, quick enough or athletic enough for IU. He’s only good because of Edey 😂. Oh yeah and he’s not a 5 star so he’s out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermaker03

Tom Crean finished with two B1G titles in his 9 years and 1 S16. Purdue has won four of the last 8 B1G titles, plus a BTT title to go along with four S16 appearances and one E8. Of course the narrative is that Purdue has flamed out in March -- which is true, but the success that Purdue has actually had the last decade is hard to match by almost any program.

I don't think IU can get back to that level with just a lucky hire. It's going to take consistency and patience of the fanbase (which is one of the harder challenges) to make it happen.

Right now IU is at the point where many in the fanbase would kill for that level of consistency. Of course, there are also those who think that wouldn't be good enough -- which is why IU is at where it's at now.

Wrong - he is at pu because Archie didn’t offer him, didn’t show any interest. If IU had offered he would be at IU
I thought Woodson offered a boat load of guards last year and stuck out? Come on, you guys have CJ Gunn, Cupps and Leal, they are all better than Smith right, I mean if IU can offer and get anyone they offer with all that NIL! I just can't figure out how IU can get anyone they want but yet can not get out of the bottom of the BT? What in the he$$ are we missing?

Don't think it all falls on Archie either. I don't believe he got a PU offer until late into his senior year and by that time I think Woody was on board. Had CMW priorited him when he arrived, we still may have been able to make a late push. As I recall it, Braden committed to Purdue very shortly after being offered.

I thought Woodson offered a boat load of guards last year and stuck out? Come on, you guys have CJ Gunn, Cupps and Leal, they are all better than Smith right, I mean if IU can offer and get anyone they offer with all that NIL! I just can't figure out how IU can get anyone they want but yet can not get out of the bottom of the BT? What in the he$$ are we missing?
Our coach sucks. Duh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT