ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Win of Archie's tenure

Cavanagh.13

Senior
Nov 6, 2019
Archie has been on the bubble since he has been at IU. As the broadcast noted, after a big win, especially against a ranked team, IU has became known for their lackluster effort in the following game and laying an egg. On que, the team came out like shit and gave up a quick 14 point lead. With some luck and not giving up, they were able to claw their way back not once but twice to force a second OT where they finally took a bit of control.

Loved Jerome hitting the big shot after being in the dog house (I think I read Jerome wouldn't have mattered anyways last few games) and in turn putting IU on the right side of the tourney convo. Playing with house money is exactly what this team needs, a chance to be dangerous. Guess what...... we beat OSU this weekend, IU is ranked my friends.

Start Lander, and I bet we do just that ;).

Reactions: indiana ed
Archie has been on the bubble since he has been at IU. As the broadcast noted, after a big win, especially against a ranked team, IU has became known for their lackluster effort in the following game and laying an egg. On que, the team came out like shit and gave up a quick 14 point lead. With some luck and not giving up, they were able to claw their way back not once but twice to force a second OT where they finally took a bit of control.

Loved Jerome hitting the big shot after being in the dog house (I think I read Jerome wouldn't have mattered anyways last few games) and in turn putting IU on the right side of the tourney convo. Playing with house money is exactly what this team needs, a chance to be dangerous. Guess what...... we beat OSU this weekend, IU is ranked my friends.

Ranked? Not a chance. Not in a poll that shows up on any national websites. A double overtime win over Northwestern and a 100 point win over Ohio State wouldn’t move us from “not reviving votes” to the top 25.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

your not a glass half full guy, your grabbing paper towels to mop up the over flow

Elite Eight Baby!!

Ranked? Not a chance. Not in a poll that shows up on any national websites. A double overtime win over Northwestern and a 100 point win over Ohio State wouldn’t move us from “not reviving votes” to the top 25.

I'll take that bet. Might not matter, if we lose to OSU. But if IU wins I bet they are ranked. Like Rutgers this week (had one vote week before), B1G is the best conference in America and no1 disputes that. Beating OSU on the road would be one of the best wins of the season for any team.

I'll take that bet. Might not matter, if we lose to OSU. But if IU wins I bet they are ranked. Like Rutgers this week (had one vote week before), B1G is the best conference in America and no1 disputes that. Beating OSU on the road would be one of the best wins of the season for any team.
its the deepest league. hate to say it I watched uk last light they are 4-14 i think they would beat us, i would be willing to bet a big team doesn't make the final 4 this year.

I think if you are right. Pretty sure IU is the first team in the Big Ten standings not ranked now and the same win % as the team ahead of them. A win at Ohio St and I think we sneak in the top 25.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine

Wow how far iu basketball has fallen. This post sums it up along with the fanbase. The biggest win in 4 years by a guy making 3.3 million is a road victory over freaking nortwestern. Who has lost 9 in a row. Let that sink in

Wow how far iu basketball has fallen. This post sums it up along with the fanbase. The biggest win in 4 years by a guy making 3.3 million is a road victory over freaking nortwestern. Who has lost 9 in a row. Let that sink in

Insert baby crying gif here.

Who's your team Sparky?

I can’t see us beating Ohio State. They are a really well rounded squad. We do matchup well in the post. But Liddell and Young are some scrappy dudes. Holtman has basically owned Archie like Painter has too.

I care less about Lander starting the game, than I do him getting minutes. In all honesty, while I agree with your overall sentiment, since he's not started him yet, my approach would be to start RP vs OSU, but from here on out, I'd make sure Lander gets fair 1st half run: 8-10 minutes, unless he's just killing us. Where I would start him, is in the 2nd half. I'd start whoever I thought gave us the best chance to win, based on their first half play, and that extends beyond PG to all the non-TJD positions, and I'd include TJD if he was really bad, and start Race and JG or JH if he was.

My concern with starting Lander is that OSU just abuses him on D and he kills us to start, and then you have to rely on RP who might be butt-hurt over not starting and you've killed KL's confidence... so we'd be without a PG in a good frame of mind. Starting Phin but insuring KL gets his 1st half minutes and then starting whoever played better in the 2nd half, I think gives us the best chance to beat OSU and could also send the message you want sent to RP... or whoever's not bringing it. I don't know why he's so rigid in not changing the 2nd half starting lineup as I think that's a good tactic, with this roster. Just like Al did last night, getting a good game from one of our less heralded guys can be the difference between winning and losing, and that guy could be an upperclassmen or a freshmen.

Last edited:
I care less about Lander starting the game, than I do him getting minutes. In all honesty, while I agree with your overall sentiment, since he's not started him yet, my approach would be to start RP vs OSU, but from here on out, I'd make sure Lander gets fair 1st half run: 8-10 minutes, unless he's just killing us. Where I would start him, is in the 2nd half. I'd start whoever I thought gave us the best chance to win, based on their first half play, and that extends beyond PG to all the non-TJD positions, and I'd include TJD if he was really bad, and start Race and JG or JH if he was.

My concern with starting Lander is that OSU just abuses him on D and he kills us to start, and then you have to rely on RP who might be butt-hurt over not starting and you've killed KL's confidence... so we'd be without a PG in a good frame of mind. Starting Phin but insuring KL gets his 1st half minutes and then starting whoever played better in the 2nd half, I think gives us the best chance to beat OSU and could also send the message you want sent to RP... or whoever's not bringing it. I don't know why he's so rigid in not changing the 2nd half starting lineup as I think that's a good tactic going forward with this roster. Just like Al did last night, getting a good game from one of our less heralded guys can be the difference between winning and losing, and that guy could be an upperclassmen or a freshmen.

I agree that Lander is earning more minutes with his play which is great to see. I just think Rob’s defense is too much of a net positive for Lander to supplant him especially at key moments. Just my opinion.

It is interesting to me that you mentioned Race and Geronimo. TJD is our best player but I do think there have been a few stretches where I thought the best combo down low was Race and Geronimo. I certainly don’t think that would be the case for long stretches but I am pleasantly surprised with Geronimo’s physicality and ability to play defense effectively at the 4. I think he has a bright future.

Last edited:
I can’t see us beating Ohio State. They are a really well rounded squad. We do matchup well in the post. But Liddell and Young are some scrappy dudes. Holtman has basically owned Archie like Painter has too.

Looking at the #s for conference play, TJD averages 31/17 per every 40M v. 22/10 for Liddell. Race is 19/13 v. Young at 15/9. So TJD & Race produce the stats, but Liddell & Young are much more efficient. As an example, Young is shooting 67% on 2s.

But CJ Walker v. Rob/Lander is the big problem. Rob's #s the last 4 games: 93 minutes; 3-22 FGs, 4-7 FTs, 8 rebs, 8 assists, 3 TOs, 12 PFs. For the 4 prior games, v. similar competition: 133M, 19-42 FGs, 3-7 FTs, 11 rebs, 15 assists, 6 TOs, 14 fouls.

To win, Rob has to hit some shots, and someone like Hunter or Leal has to have a big game.

Beating OSU under these circumstances would be the best win for Archie......I think we'll compete but winning seems pretty unlikely....puncher's chance?

Reactions: kkott
I agree that Lander is earning more minutes with his play which is great to see. I just think Rob’s defense is too much of a net positive for Lander to supplant him especially at key moments. Just my opinion.

It is interesting to me that you mentioned Race and Geronimo. TJD is our best player but I do think there have been a few stretches where I thought the best combo down low was Race and Geronimo. I certainly don’t think that would be the case for long stretches but I am pleasantly surprised with Geronimo’s physicality and ability to play defense effectively at the 4. I think he has a bright future.

I just hate anyone having guaranteed minutes, and while TJD has been very good and steady, he's had his lapses too (was it Rutgers he didn't go up for the tip?), like against Kofi. The bench is a great motivator, so I'd tell the guys in the locker room: I'm going to work to get everyone 1st half minutes and whoever's playing the best, starts the 2nd half. You don't even have to say it and the guys will figure it out in about a minute. I think that would send a great message to everyone, and that's exactly what we need: focus and effort. These guys are college athletes, working their butts off in a pandemic. I hope playing is 1 of the things they look forward to most, but I'd be sitting guys for bad, dumb or uninspired play (don't jump for the tip, or miss 2 FTs... automatic pine time). Despite what many of the critics say, this team, by playing nose to nose with a lot of good teams, has shown it has talent, it's really just the uneven nature of our effort and stupid things like missing FTs and prolonged scoring droughts that has undone them. I really hoped all along this team would finish top 4, and I think their play has proven that was not unrealistic.

Reactions: MrBing and Beorik
its the deepest league. hate to say it I watched uk last light they are 4-14 i think they would beat us, i would be willing to bet a big team doesn't make the final 4 this year.

I bet a big ten team does make the final four. I think it could me multiple.

Reactions: MrBing
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT