ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is gonna win the whole thing….

I keep waiting for their ‘weakness’ of their non athletic guards to be exposed as the basketball Bennie’s have said time and time again would happen. Oh wait, it happened today and Edey didn’t completely didn’t dominate and still won by double digits. One of the worst offensive games I have seen Purdue play. Guess I’ll have to hope UConn can do what no one else has been able to do, beat the boilies when it matters, this year. Where are we? Watching. And bitching, like me.

Uconn will be favored but it feels like PU this year. Plus it's tough to repeat.

PUkes are gettin BOAT RACED.

Book it.
Having watched both teams, UCONN will need to play their absolute best game of the year to beat Purdue. Most say it’s the other way around. No chance they contain Eddy. None. He’s the best player in college basketball and will school the kid from UCONN like he’s done against each opposing big guy in the tourney. Purdue by double digits Monday night. That prediction even has Cav’s prediction “Seal of Approval.”
Money in the bank. Bet heavily on Purdue.

The contest will be a dog fight down low but one that I expect Edey to win. However, Purdue will need to be on offensively (low turnovers, outside shot, crisp passing) if they want to win as another ugly game likely won't get it done.

I keep waiting for their ‘weakness’ of their non athletic guards to be exposed as the basketball Bennie’s have said time and time again would happen. Oh wait, it happened today and Edey didn’t completely didn’t dominate and still won by double digits. One of the worst offensive games I have seen Purdue play. Guess I’ll have to hope UConn can do what no one else has been able to do, beat the boilies when it matters, this year. Where are we? Watching. And bitching, like me.
PU fortunate that weakness was exposed vs NCSU----10th place team in the ACC. Their guards gave SMith and Loyer big time trouble. Only problem was----NCSU couldn't score.

UCONN wont have that problem. And their guards are 10X what NCSU has.

PU has an offensive night Monday as they did toady, and this could be a very ugly title game. Clinigan/Edey IMO will be a wash---ANd this game will come down to guard/wing play----ANd its why I think UCONN wins.

Having watched both teams, UCONN will need to play their absolute best game of the year to beat Purdue. Most say it’s the other way around. No chance they contain Eddy. None. He’s the best player in college basketball and will school the kid from UCONN like he’s done against each opposing big guy in the tourney. Purdue by double digits Monday night. That prediction even has Cav’s prediction “Seal of Approval.”
Seriously? For one, Edey has not faced a single dude even close to his size----He will on Monday: Clinigan is 7'2, 280. That's going to be a much better match-up than you think.

UCONN needing to play perfect? Huh? They were meh in the first half today vs a really good Bama team---who shot 73% from three in the first half----yet still trailed by 4. Imagine doing what you do best---really, really good----ANd still be losing the game.

Yikes.

UCONN's guards and wings are gonna be a big problem for PU. Jones is the only one who can match-up athletically, speed wise, etc...NCSU guards gave Loyer/Smith all kinds of trouble----Big problem b/c the guards they will face Monday are cut from a different cloth.

I will happily bet you PU doesn't win by double digits.

PU fortunate that weakness was exposed vs NCSU----10th place team in the ACC. Their guards gave SMith and Loyer big time trouble. Only problem was----NCSU couldn't score.

UCONN wont have that problem. And their guards are 10X what NCSU has.

PU has an offensive night Monday as they did toady, and this could be a very ugly title game. Clinigan/Edey IMO will be a wash---ANd this game will come down to guard/wing play----ANd its why I think UCONN wins.
I have UCONN by 13 in this game.
There is nobody on Purdue that will contain Clingan. The kid is a one-man wrecking crew.

UCONN is smarter and will play their game. Purdue going to panic once UCONN starts wearing them out.

Last edited:
I have Purdue by 12 in this game.
There is nobody on UCONN that will contain Eddy. The kid is a one-man wrecking crew.

Purdue is smarter and will play their game. UCONN going to panic once Eddy starts doing what he does inside.
How much? I''l take UCONN and 12.

Defending national champs are going to panic? Sure. Like they did today when Bama hit 8-11 threes? Or when Bama came back from 9 down, to tie the game? Or how UCONN panicked when Bama again answered an 8-0 UCONN run, to tie the game with 11 minutes left?

There was nobody for TENN that could contain Edey----yet that was a 6 point game. A game in which Ziegler for TENN probably had his worst game all year: 3-12 from the floor, 1-8 from 3, and 1-5 from the line. Not to mention Aidoo going scoreless.

C'mon dude. PU struggled mightly with NCSU guards----and well, NCSU guards are not UCONN's guards.

Clinigan is much, much better than what you are giving credit....Kid can play. And hes a big dude: 7'2", 280lbs. Very athletic...long as ****...can run the floor.

Did you see how many ball screens UCONN puts people in----with multiple players? Hurley can coach----and he's gonna do something no one has done----make Edey defend.

Can PU win? Absolutely. To say they are gonna run UCONN off the floor is laughable. After all,an Illinois team that PU struggled to beat----UCONN put a 30-0 run on those dudes.

Like I said, I'll glady take UCONN and the 12 points.

Reactions: Vern Pain
If NCstate scored even close to their average Purdue would’ve lost. You obviously haven’t watched much UConn. KC state missed so many easy ones. UConn won’t.

Every sportscaster I have seen on TV says no way in Hell Purdue wins-another bad omen. Bird Avery especially.

I sure wouldn’t be in Kentucky when the eclipse passes-they are going to seriously freak. Apocalypto at Rupp.

Last edited:
If anything, a Purdue win on Monday gets the 24 year monkey off the back of the B1G. 0-7 in the NC since Sparty's win in 2000.
Only team I want doing that's Indiana.
Who cares about
Edey may get his..
But no one runs the stuff UConn does..Side screens. On the ball screens..Off the ball back door screens..Flair screens..Hurley has devised one hellva of a offense .
After watching both games.And sometimes your team on Saturday isn't what they are on Monday..
I'd say Purdue will need to ramp it up..
In a good close game. I'd lean Huskies .

Purdue got the ugly win out of their system against NC State. The turnovers alone were ridiculous and most were unforced. And they still won by double digits. UConn is favored and should be. But if there is one team in the country that can match up with them and beat them.....its Purdue. I think Purdue shows up and makes this game an epic. Overtime wouldn't surprise me.

UConn is -6.5 right now. More than I would have guessed.

Still feels like a coin flip, though as I said Purdue is the team of destiny.

If just one of the Purdue shooters has an above average shooting night from three, it will be hard for UConn to get and maintain a lead. This could easily be a last possession game or even OT game.

Purdue does seem like a team of destiny, but if you base it solely on the games yesterday, UConn walks. Purdue played a Cinderella and Cinderella’s usually run out of gas once they make the FF. NC ST played their worst game, couldn’t hit shots and frankly, the way NC ST was playing, Purdue should’ve won by 30. On the other hand, UConn played a much better team, who was shooting lights out in the first half and still managed to lead at the half by 4 and win by 16.

I would be quite surprised if Purdue wins by double digits and not at all surprised if UConn does. UConn’s guards will be the deciding factor disrupting the Purdue offense. Edey will get his, but that won’t be enough. If Purdue wins, and I’m not saying they can’t, but it’ll a close win decided in the final minute. We’ll see if they truly are a team of destiny.

Reactions: IU FAN IN W. NC

Alabama was 11-23 from 3 last night and lost by 14. They came in averaging 90 points a game and scored 72. Bama is one of the highest adjusted tempo teams in the country and didn’t score a single point in transition last night. Purdue may be a team of destiny or whatever that means but UConn is playing on a different level than anybody else and has their last 11 tournament games. UConn is relentless on both ends and Clingan is the best defensive big in the country and it’s not particularly close. They need a Herculean effort out of their role players if they want to win and if Braden Smith plays like he did against NC State they could lose by 20. I think Edey needs to have a 30 and 15 game if the Boilers want to keep it within single digits. UConn truly is the one team this year that is a terrible matchup for Purdue.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Did you see how many ball screens UCONN puts people in----with multiple players? Hurley can coach----and he's gonna do something no one has done----make Edey defend.
Absolutely. Spencer and Newton are going to cook their guards and score at will, especially if Painter is going to insist on playing Edey in drop coverage.

Purdue is well coached too. For one important thing they know how to push the rules to limit and dare the officials to make calls, and officials don't.( If you don't really need to be set on a screen, a coach would be dumb to coach that you do need to. If over the back is rarely called, you'd better rebound like a mf fiend over the back and not get boxed out like IU guys. If you can back guys down with no call, back guys down. )

And that's not a knock on Purdue! IMO they are pretty well coached. But I'm just a fan who has watched a lot of years

It was a strange feeling watching them last night. I honestly didn’t care whether they won or not. NC State made that little run in the first half and I would have thought I’d have been excited…nope. Purdue put it away late and I would have thought I would have felt frustration…nope.

I don’t know if it’s the sliver of respect and admiration I have for how they play? Or that I want the B10 to be successful again? Combined with a general annoyance with their fans. But it’s obvious I have legitimate apathy towards their bball team, at least I did last night.

Maybe I’ll care more Monday?

I’ve never understood pulling for or caring about the conference.

When UM or OSU wins a CFB national title, coworkers or friends never congratulate you on your team being in the conference that produced the national champ. No one cares that IU is also in the B1G. No one wears B1G gear around.

I’m the opposite, I dislike a lot of teams in the conference and I hope they all lose. I also don’t like the conference for taking us out of the football B1G title game and then screwing us out of the Citrus Bowl.

That’s just me. I get other people feel differently.

Reactions: Vern Pain
And hang a banner at Mackey Arena. That’ll be a big deal. 37 years after Indiana’s last national championship. Where has the time gone?
i sure would be pleased as punch if they do. no shit, i am just done with our program till they decide they want to play/compete in college basketball the correct way. that starts, you know where ...

Reactions: CriticArisen
$100.00 charity wager? I'm down.
Purdue by 12..?
Huh..
Purdue hasn't played anyone like UCONN.
They've actually had a pretty easy road for 5 games..
I'd say Tennessee was a good team but only had one real go to guy.
UCONN throws it at you from every direction..

If just one of the Purdue shooters has an above average shooting night from three, it will be hard for UConn to get and maintain a lead. This could easily be a last possession game or even OT game.
UCONN withstood an 8/11 first half from BAMA. Imagine doing what you do best---at an elite level----and you're still trailing.

Its been a long, long time since I have seen a team go from 0-60 like UConn can, and so quickly. Bama cut 9 point lead to 1.....then in a blink, another 8-0 run by UCONN, and it was curtains.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Purdue by 12..?
Huh..
Not only that----but they are elite at defending the three.

No. But I guarantee that Purdue wins it all.
UConn is the better team. As long as the refs don't put UConn's big man on the bench, they'll beat PU 8-9 out of 10, and I think they'll beat them Monday.

Purdue by 12..?
Huh..
Yeah. Biggest concern with UCon is that their 3 point shooting had gone really cold for most of the tournament. It looked like that started coming back to them in the second half.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood pulling for or caring about the conference.

When UM or OSU wins a CFB national title, coworkers or friends never congratulate you on your team being in the conference that produced the national champ. No one cares that IU is also in the B1G. No one wears B1G gear around.

I’m the opposite, I dislike a lot of teams in the conference and I hope they all lose. I also don’t like the conference for taking us out of the football B1G title game and then screwing us out of the Citrus Bowl.

That’s just me. I get other people feel differently.
I see it as an “all boats rise with the tide” type situation. It seems like there’s a narrative out there, even with potential recruits that B10 bball is inferior or less desirable than some other conferences. A B10 team winning a natty again helps eliminate that…if it actually exists.

IU has their own challenges. But if the conference is seen in a better light…it will help IU in the end…I believe.

But per my other post…I honestly don’t think I care if PU wins tomorrow not? Maybe that will chance by game time.

Reactions: OpenWheels
UConn is the better team. As long as the refs don't put UConn's big man on the bench, they'll beat PU 8-9 out of 10, and I think they'll beat them Monday.
"As long as the refs don't put UConn's big man on the bench"

Yep..... and I'm sure the Refs will let Bulldozer Edey have all the leeway he wants Monday night, they've let him do it all tournament long so far.... why would the refs change.

If UConn hits any sort of normal percentage of their shots, they should win. Purdues defense is going to give them good looks all night long.

Only way I see PU winning is UConn is abnormally cold, like NC State was, AND PU hits a lot of tough shots. I don’t even think it matters a ton of Clingan gets in foul trouble. Their other couple bigs are very capable too.

It’s certainly possible Purdue could win. But it seems unlikely.

Easiest route for UCONN to win (not that they have to use my suggestion, I think they win anyway).....
is to add XJ to there roster for only Monday night, then put him in the game and have him do a "SACK ATTACK" on Edey, to take Edey out of the game for the rest of the game.

(Of course I'm only joking folks) :)

"As long as the refs don't put UConn's big man on the bench"

Yep..... and I'm sure the Refs will let Bulldozer Edey have all the leeway he wants Monday night, they've let him do it all tournament long so far.... why would the refs change.
And UConn may very well be content with Edey getting his average. You have to think UConn is going to score 80 points tomorrow night, let Edey get his 22-23 and force the rest of the team to come up with 60. I don’t see that happening with how well UConn guards 1-5.

One is athletic and the other is not.

Edey is the dominant player he is not just because he's 7'4" -- but because of what he can do with that frame.

He has incredible touch within 5 feet, for one thing. He knows how to create space and how to use it once he has. He's a pretty good FT shooter (71%, I think?) -- and gets to the line a lot. He's a terrific passer and almost always finds the open guy when he draws defenses in...and finds him with the ball placed where it should be, when it should be there. And his footwork is also very good for a guy his size.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him and Clingan go at it.

I don't know much about UConn's big man depth, but they could play him like the NBA used to hack-a-Shaq .

Going way, way back. I remember Michigan State threw everything into stopping Larry Bird, had three guys around him all the time. He forced a lot, and the rest of the team couldn't get it done.

The comment in the thread about he'll get his points and stopping the others, may be spot on though. Coaches win plenty by not shutting down the star, just everyone else.

It should be an interesting game.

Edey is the dominant player he is not just because he's 7'4" -- but because of what he can do with that frame.

He has incredible touch within 5 feet, for one thing. He knows how to create space and how to use it once he has. He's a pretty good FT shooter (71%, I think?) -- and gets to the line a lot. He's a terrific passer and almost always finds the open guy when he draws defenses in...and finds him with the ball placed where it should be, when it should be there. And his footwork is also very good for a guy his size.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him and Clingan go at it.
I'm curious to see how this matchup goes. Burns from NCS seemed to have Edey pushed further out from where I'm used to seeing him. Most of his stuff, at least in the first half was maybe 8 ft our. He still didn't have trouble because he could easily get a shot up over Burns. If Clingan can keep him out where he was last night, he may need to alter his shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT