ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest flop ever?

jacksback

Junior
Feb 5, 2003
I saw that K Lander has averaged about 11 min and 3 pts per game for W KY this year. Pretty amazing for a kid that was considered a potential 1 and done recruit.

Reactions: IUgradman
I think Lander's recruitment is what really did Archie in, as Lander was supposed to be the savior.

Reactions: IUgradman
Rob Phinesee was tearing it up at Cincinnati also. He averaged 1.7 points per game this year. But the media and the experts touted both of these guys as program saviors. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Unfortunately for Archie Miller he crapped out with some key recruits. I think Jerome Hunter averaged about six points at Xavier coming off the bench. Kind of explains why Archie's teams never amounted anything.

Rob Phinesee was tearing it up at Cincinnati also. He averaged 1.7 points per game this year. But the media and the experts touted both of these guys as program saviors. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Unfortunately for Archie Miller he crapped out with some key recruits. I think Jerome Hunter averaged about six points at Xavier coming off the bench. Kind of explains why Archie's teams never amounted anything.
nobody proclaimed either rob or Khristian as saviors.

Would have been nice to have Rob on this year's team, once X went down. I haven't followed him but wasn't he also hurt this season?

Reactions: 76-1
I hope getting pushed in to reclassification and missing his HS sr yr didnt mess things up too badly for him. Should never been considered for a kid of his size to begin with
The reclass thing was the dumbest thing for him. He was very talented. But clearly not 5*. But lost on defense. He needed another year for strength and leadership. Was it Archie that pushed that? His dad didn’t help him much either. In HS he would look up at his dad at every dead ball.

I'd throw Delray in the discussion. At times...Andre Patterson (although he did occasionally play like a 5 star).

To me...biggest flop was Funderburke not staying at IU. Might have cost us 1, even 2 banners.

Delray and Lander both seem like nice. people. Feinstein said in SOTB that RMK mentioned, something to the effect (paraphrasing here) "Delray was the nicest kid to ever play here". And Lander seemed very supportive of his teammates, while he was rotting away on the bench. That cannot be easy.

Andre Patterson just didn't have the a competitive nature nor passion for big time BB. He had more passion for singing. In my opinion Knight's worse miss. Delray had good shooting talent but from the foul line out didn't develop early enough for IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Rob Phinisee was touted as a program savior at IU? Was I asleep during that time? I'd agree, Lander had expectations, Eric Gordon had expectations, Romeo and Cody... I don't think anyone was touting RP as a program savior.

Rob Phinisee was touted as a program savior at IU? Was I asleep during that time? I'd agree, Lander had expectations, Eric Gordon had expectations, Romeo and Cody... I don't think anyone was touting RP as a program savior.
Agreed. I remember him as a good pickup but nothing about savior.

I'd throw Delray in the discussion. At times...Andre Patterson (although he did occasionally play like a 5 star).

To me...biggest flop was Funderburke not staying at IU. Might have cost us 1, even 2 banners.

Delray and Lander both seem like nice. people. Feinstein said in SOTB that RMK mentioned, something to the effect (paraphrasing here) "Delray was the nicest kid to ever play here". And Lander seemed very supportive of his teammates, while he was rotting away on the bench. That cannot be easy.
Charlie Miller should be in this discussion as well.

The reclass thing was the dumbest thing for him. He was very talented. But clearly not 5*. But lost on defense. He needed another year for strength and leadership. Was it Archie that pushed that? His dad didn’t help him much either. In HS he would look up at his dad at every dead ball.
Kinda like Bates now. Most likely same type of careers. Hope not if Bates is NBA after next season.

Andre Patterson just didn't have the a competitive nature nor passion for big time BB. He had more passion for singing. In my opinion Knight's worse miss. Delray had good shooting talent but from the foul line out didn't develop early enough for IU.
Patterson did have some moments. 39 vs Duke. His last 6 games of his career he finally played like he was touted as. Avg like 22ppg. Still had a few years in the NBA. Definately him and Charlie Miller come to mind. Miller was one of my favorite players as well. I asked Coach Knight about Charlie Miller when he was down in Evansville speaking with Steve Chancellor. Coach had nothing but good things to say about Charlie's work ethic.

Shh, don't stop him. He's on a roll.

I hope getting pushed in to reclassification and missing his HS sr yr didnt mess things up too badly for him.

Lander could have played 7 years in high school and he would still be a shitty college player today.

Delray averaged over 30 minutes a game, 14 points, 4 reb, 2.6 assists, and 2 steals a game while shooting 42% from 3 on a Final Four team. How in the world is that a flop? I get it, he struggled here, but he was a VERY good college player when he got extended minutes and a rule that fit his game

Is the big ten play different from other power conferences? More or less physical? More or less outside shooting? Etc

Is the big ten play different from other power conferences? More or less physical? More or less outside shooting? Etc
As it relates to the Brooks discussion, the old Big East at the time was arguably the premier conference in the country. Looking at FF teams from the Big East in a

1984 Georgetown
1985 Gtown, St Johns, Villanova
1987 Syracuse, Providence
1989 Seton Hall

So from 84 to 89, 6 of the 8 teams went to the FF--the conference was absolutely loaded

Reactions: hookyIU1990
As it relates to the Brooks discussion, the old Big East at the time was arguably the premier conference in the country. Looking at FF teams from the Big East in a

1984 Georgetown
1985 Gtown, St Johns, Villanova
1987 Syracuse, Providence
1989 Seton Hall

So from 84 to 89, 6 of the 8 teams went to the FF--the conference was absolutely loaded
Nice research (or memory). What was their style of play?

Delray averaged over 30 minutes a game, 14 points, 4 reb, 2.6 assists, and 2 steals a game while shooting 42% from 3 on a Final Four team. How in the world is that a flop? I get it, he struggled here, but he was a VERY good college player when he got extended minutes and a rule that fit his game
I was only thinking IU play. In that spirit it’s still too early to call Lander a flop. Although the trends aren’t good.

I hope getting pushed in to reclassification and missing his HS sr yr didnt mess things up too badly for him. Should never been considered for a kid of his size to begin with
His dad was the one who pushed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT