ADVERTISEMENT

BIG Officiating.

bwcoach

Freshman
Dec 17, 2012
I know it’s ad nauseum but just watched a video of Edey running over Wahl in the PU/Wisky semi game. Wahl was called for his fifth foul. Pretty evident who the foul should have been called on. It’s gotten to the point where some calls are unbelievable. When does someone at the top finally say enough is enough? When do the coaches say the same thing? Sorry I can’t post the video as we’re traveling.

I know it’s ad nauseum but just watched a video of Edey running over Wahl in the PU/Wisky semi game. Wahl was called for his fifth foul. Pretty evident who the foul should have been called on. It’s gotten to the point where some calls are unbelievable. When does someone at the top finally say enough is enough? When do the coaches say the same thing? Sorry I can’t post the video as we’re traveling.
B1G trying to protect their #1 seed

sorry Wisconsin

giphy.gif

Reactions: CriticArisen
I could not ref BB. Things happen too quickly.
Are the big ten refs always doing big ten games? They never do SEC, PAC 12, etc?
Are the leagues different? For example the SEC refs call more charges than a PAC 12 ref?
Have the coaches or ADs every discussed this formally?

Maybe the league is scared of more open chastisement from Matt Painter. PU squeaking by Michigan St and then losing to Wisconsin just shows how weak the Big Ten is this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the league has zero teams left after the first weekend.

It wasn't just Purdue and Wisconsin. In the 2nd half of the Nebraska-Illinois game Terrance Shannon of Illinois put his head down 15 feet from the basket, straight line dribbled to the basket initiated contact on the floor and knocked down several Illinois Players like plastic bowling pins. Both times they called fouls on Nebraska. The Nebraska players may have leaned a bit on contact but They established position and Shannon initiated contact.

When You put your head down like that move like an Nfl Fullback on 4th and short, You shouldn't get the call.

How about having some accountability and transparency. The NBA isn’t perfect, but they review every call from every official within the last 2 mins and OT. They identify the official and state whether the call was right or wrong. At least it is an attempt to measure and improve quality. And NBA refs are a ton better than Big10 refs in a faster and more physical game. These same Big10 refs keep making shitty calls game after game with no apparent consequences.

Even my wife couldn't believe that wasn't called a charge on Edey. Clearly Wahl was set well before Edey ran into him. However, it's just not the Big 10. I've watched several other conference tourneys this weekend and you see it more & more. Seems like the higher seeded teams get the benefit of the calls. I'm also seeing a lot of noncalls on obvious fouls

Reactions: CriticArisen
Even my wife couldn't believe that wasn't called a charge on Edey. Clearly Wahl was set well before Edey ran into him. However, it's just not the Big 10. I've watched several other conference tourneys this weekend and you see it more & more. Seems like the higher seeded teams get the benefit of the calls. I'm also seeing a lot of noncalls on obvious fouls
Non calls are better than touch fouls, imo. I'd rather they let them play than watch 50 free throws a game. Especially since you have idiots like Loyer falling down every time he's touched and even sometimes when he's not touched.

When did it become ok to blatantly throw a shoulder into a defender to create space for a shot? Seems that it was a gradual development. And in the Big10, it’s not only allowed - but the defender often gets a foul for trying to resist it. There is little reward for being in a good defensive position.

How can one not see that. Seems impossible, but refs really do suck that bad.
I've had a theory on this for several years. Nobody pays top price for a ticket to a game to watch an official blow his Whistle every other possession and call traveling, double dribble, or carrying. Conferences know it, Coaches know it, and most importantly Players know it. Add to this the fact that in my opinion, Players are not trained in fundamentals the way We were 60 years ago, To paraphrase from Baseball, Chicks dig the Dunk and 3 pointer but aren't impressed with good fundamental ball handling. Instead of forcing Coaches to teach fundamentals at an early age and require that Players abide by the Rules, Basketball has capitulated to the Players and their lack of fundamentals and call the game accordingly.

The one I see over and over again that makes Me cringe, are the number of times You see a Player dribble the ball with his hand to the side of the ball. In my day that would have been a carrying violation because You are gaining a ball control advantage by not keeping your hand on top of the Ball. It was up to Us to adapt our play to the Rule, not the other way around.

I saw an old film clip of Oscar Robertson several days ago. As big as his hands were and the way He handled the ball under the old rules, can You imagine what He could do today with being able to run halfway down the floor with the ball suspended in his hand as He dribbled.

I've had a theory on this for several years. Nobody pays top price for a ticket to a game to watch an official blow his Whistle every other possession and call traveling, double dribble, or carrying. Conferences know it, Coaches know it, and most importantly Players know it. Add to this the fact that in my opinion, Players are not trained in fundamentals the way We were 60 years ago, To paraphrase from Baseball, Chicks dig the Dunk and 3 pointer but aren't impressed with good fundamental ball handling. Instead of forcing Coaches to teach fundamentals at an early age and require that Players abide by the Rules, Basketball has capitulated to the Players and their lack of fundamentals and call the game accordingly.

The one I see over and over again that makes Me cringe, are the number of times You see a Player dribble the ball with his hand to the side of the ball. In my day that would have been a carrying violation because You are gaining a ball control advantage by not keeping your hand on top of the Ball. It was up to Us to adapt our play to the Rule, not the other way around.

I saw an old film clip of Oscar Robertson several days ago. As big as his hands were and the way He handled the ball under the old rules, can You imagine what He could do today with being able to run halfway down the floor with the ball suspended in his hand as He dribbled.
Completely agree with everything you stated. The carrying call should be made. It is nearly impossible to guard someone that is allowed to carry the ball like that. Other calls I'd like to see made...illegal screens, stepping over the free throw line before the ball reaches the basket on a free throw. inbounder walking with the ball on out of bounds plays (not after scores, obviously), clear travels, etc.

Force players to be fundamentally sound again. And coaches to teach fundamentals.

Reactions: Zeester and Tscurlo
Non calls are better than touch fouls, imo. I'd rather they let them play than watch 50 free throws a game. Especially since you have idiots like Loyer falling down every time he's touched and even sometimes when he's not touched.
I'm not talking touch fouls.Im referring to obvious charge or blocking, and over obvious missed calls that gives a player an ob ious advantage. Refs seem to let the rough physical plays go while calling touch fouls such as grazing a shooters hand after the shot that has no affect on the shot. I watched the NC State / UNC game last night & I thought I was watching a BIG game. The commentators brought up,several missed obvious fouls

Reactions: Ty Webb iu

The game has been "redesigned" for folks with the attention span of a gnat. Therefore, you get penalized for playing D and everything is centered on scoring and letting the "fan favorites" look good.
I fine myself enjoying the women's game more than the men because they have the misguided idea that this is still a team sport.

I'm not talking touch fouls.Im referring to obvious charge or blocking, and over obvious missed calls that gives a player an ob ious advantage. Refs seem to let the rough physical plays go while calling touch fouls such as grazing a shooters hand after the shot that has no affect on the shot. I watched the NC State / UNC game last night & I thought I was watching a BIG game. The commentators brought up,several missed obvious fouls
I think you might be referring to Cupp barely touching the Nebraska shooters little finger on his three pointer. That was a weenie call. And thanks to HillzHoosier for posting the video.

"falling down every time he's touched and even sometimes when he's not touched."

WOW..... I thought you were referring to Caitlyn Clark at IOWA!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other thing that blisters me now..... is this VERITICAL HANDS UP JUMPING UP IN THE AIR to defend a layup or shot under the basket.

I mean... there is contact to the shooter... which is physical enough to alter the outcome of the shot.

The other thing that blisters me now..... is this VERITICAL HANDS UP JUMPING UP IN THE AIR to defend a layup or shot under the basket.

I mean... there is contact to the shooter... which is physical enough to alter the outcome of the shot.
Defensive vertically was allowed when I played (back when gas was about a dollar). It's not new.

Pretty sure they call it Euro-walking now. It’s right up there with being allowed to dribble once or twice to get control of a pass, then starting a new dribble from scratch.
Is the “step-through” not a travel?? Seen it several times this year, no call. If you pick up your dribble, since when can you pickup your pivot foot and take another step?

Reactions: DANC
My kids are young right now and going through middle school basketball. It's pathetic what sports have become these days. If you're not on some travel team, you don't get taught anything. Even then, a lot of these travel teams just coach offense. There's no more 5th grade basketball and 6-8th grade is only a month long. A month!

The BIG 10 hasn't won a title since Cleaves.

It can't be said its teams have been prepared for the tourney these past 25 years. Our best team keeps losing to 14 and 16 seeds.

Maybe the league is scared of more open chastisement from Matt Painter. PU squeaking by Michigan St and then losing to Wisconsin just shows how weak the Big Ten is this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the league has zero teams left after the first weekend.
Don't agree, whether you hate PU or not Painter is one of the quietist coaches as far as getting on refs as there is. Compare him to that damn crybaby Izzo...

Don't agree, whether you hate PU or not Painter is one of the quietist coaches as far as getting on refs as there is. Compare him to that damn crybaby Izzo...
He went on a very public campaign last year complaining about how Edey was being called. That's the source of all the Painter/Ref talk on here.

Rightly so, he's been ridiculed because Edey has, at a minimum, benefitted from how officials call him equally to being hurt by it. And that's a bare minimum. The guy rarely incurs more than a foul or two in a game. Despite committing easily double digit, obvious, fouls himself. In their main offense, he sets probably a dozen illegal ball screens a game, hardly ever called.

I guess Edey's price for that grace, is having to deal with getting hammered himself when he posts up and takes shots. He does get hammered, more than they call, but he also does get to shoot a TON of free throws as well.

Everyone except Purdue fans knows the scale tilts heavily in Edey/Purdue's favor. It has helped them win a couple B10 titles... I don't think officiating is what has caused Purdue's losses in the NCAA's recently. Rather, I think it just doesn't HELP them the way B10 officials do. B10 officials would have ended St Peter's and FDU's chances, with horrible calls in Edey/Purdue's favor. NCAA tourney officials call the games closer to how they should be called. So it allows teams to strategize and attack Purdue's obvious flaws and weaknesses.

Edey won’t shoot 19 free throws in the ncaa tourney

Can someone think of a single game this year where poor officiating cost IU the win? I can't think of any.
There were at least 5 games where poor officiating was a major factor in the outcome of the game. "Cost IU the win", that happened for sure.

None of that changes the fact that IU sucked this year. It's just that the officials were terrible as well, but they always do.

My kids are young right now and going through middle school basketball. It's pathetic what sports have become these days. If you're not on some travel team, you don't get taught anything. Even then, a lot of these travel teams just coach offense. There's no more 5th grade basketball and 6-8th grade is only a month long. A month!
Have them run cross country! Not all the ridiculous summer/travel league, coaching, commitment, financial outlay and generally still a good group of kids/students at the school.

He went on a very public campaign last year complaining about how Edey was being called. That's the source of all the Painter/Ref talk on here.

Rightly so, he's been ridiculed because Edey has, at a minimum, benefitted from how officials call him equally to being hurt by it. And that's a bare minimum. The guy rarely incurs more than a foul or two in a game. Despite committing easily double digit, obvious, fouls himself. In their main offense, he sets probably a dozen illegal ball screens a game, hardly ever called.

I guess Edey's price for that grace, is having to deal with getting hammered himself when he posts up and takes shots. He does get hammered, more than they call, but he also does get to shoot a TON of free throws as well.

Everyone except Purdue fans knows the scale tilts heavily in Edey/Purdue's favor. It has helped them win a couple B10 titles... I don't think officiating is what has caused Purdue's losses in the NCAA's recently. Rather, I think it just doesn't HELP them the way B10 officials do. B10 officials would have ended St Peter's and FDU's chances, with horrible calls in Edey/Purdue's favor. NCAA tourney officials call the games closer to how they should be called. So it allows teams to strategize and attack Purdue's obvious flaws and weaknesses.
It's totally out of balance, and yes, Edey still gets hacks that don't get called, but look at their foul and FT disparity after virtually every game. Basically he always gets the other teams entire frontcourt in foul trouble, and yet he is rarely in foul trouble, despite being the biggest, strongest and most physical player on the floor. This gives PU a huge FT advantage in most games too. I think it does go back to MP's campaign last year about Edey getting hacked. I'm not going to look, but I'd be willing to bet Edey has more games with 0 or 1 foul than he does 4+. Unfathomable for a guy that plays like he does. And I agree about the screening, he regularly repositions into the defender when setting a screen and never gets called for it. He could foul out of most games just on that, offensive positioning and over the backs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT