ADVERTISEMENT

Big chatter elsewhere on the net about IU staff (not) attending HS sectional games.

I used to find it amazing how many times I’d see college coaches show up in HS gyms the day after (or even the day before) their own games. As a young HS coach at the time, I had to admire the work ethic and energy those college jobs required.

Guess ol Woody just doesn’t quite have that ethic or energy. Kind of understandable now. We’re the same age and I damn sure couldn’t do it these days. But there are 2 major differences: 1. Woody’s raking in almost $5M a year. That alone should drive a fair amount of motivation. 2. He’s got assistants that take up so much prime bench real estate, the walkons are forced to sit with the fans. Send them out there. We’ve been told recruiting is their specialty.
Speaking of the Bench..... I was watching the Pacers/Pelicans game last night on TV, (hoping to catch a glimpse of Cody playing), and they've pretty much pushed the players chairs almost into the locker rooms!!!

You have the scoring table in the dead center of the court.... but then on both ends of the scoring table, they've put around 10 folding chairs for fans. Then.... it seemed like there was another short media table or probably team stats table on each end of the fans chairs..... and finally the start of the coach and players chairs after that.

Honestly.... it looked like the third or fourth player chair was where the baseline on the court started on each end.

I guess they are charging HIGH BUCKS for those 20 fans chairs on the team sideline.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Personally, I am worried about seeing how this year's team finishes up it has not been a good season. Was Mullins not just at IU for one of the recent games? I don't remember for sure, but it seems Mullins received a scholarship offer recently. Sisley has been to IU several times and I believe we have been to the school several times.

Internet chatter is click bait and I am not sure how much this makes a difference. I think it is more important to some fan boys that might try to influence 18-year-olds decisions. I am old enough to remember I could not wait to get the print copy of Inside Indiana to see what recruiting news there was. I hardly raise an eyebrow over this right or wrong because everybody is worried about being in the know or having inside information which is usually 90% wrong until close to signing day.

Personally, I am worried about seeing how this year's team finishes up it has not been a good season. Was Mullins not just at IU for one of the recent games? I don't remember for sure, but it seems Mullins received a scholarship offer recently. Sisley has been to IU several times and I believe we have been to the school several times.

Internet chatter is click bait and I am not sure how much this makes a difference. I think it is more important to some fan boys that might try to influence 18-year-olds decisions. I am old enough to remember I could not wait to get the print copy of Inside Indiana to see what recruiting news there was. I hardly raise an eyebrow over this right or wrong because everybody is worried about being in the know or having inside information which is usually 90% wrong until close to signing day.
I see it as a missed opportunity.

Not being there isn't the end of the world. Most know and expect that Woodson is really busy.

But being there...that's such a powerful message to Sisley and his family that you care...or Mullins and his family...or whatever kid you go watch. And its such a simple gesture.

So, I'm sure Woody wasn't just tired and sitting at home...But I hope whatever he was doing with his time was equally as beneficial as the symbolic gesture would have been attending one of the sectionals.

The portal isn't even open yet. Have someone else drive you, have a couple hours worth of prospect videos queued up on an iPad...and have an incredibly productive night.

Good lord. If this is true...

How many damned people does he have on his staff? Divide and conquer. Give each person 5-10 kids to evaluate. What would that be, if you include the entire staff...50-100 kids?

This year, maybe that should be 60-70 potential protal kids, 30-40 HS kids??...I don't know.

But the notion that Woodson can't drive a couple hours to watch Sisley's sectional game, because he's focusing on portal players... so stupid, and lazy, and misguided...

But then...he's been going to bed thinking about a 6th year PG that has a very established record of leading his teams to a .500 record.

So I guess it wouldn't surprise me if I heard Woody is solely focusing on portal kids right now.
In a myopic way it is fascinating to see what is happening with the mens basketball program. Woodson going to bed thinking about a 6th year PG with a .500 record, as you stated. Him also blaming the inexperience of 2nd semester sophomores on poor/inconsistent play. Only having 1 commit in a 24 class which we were told for awhile was the class the staff was focusing on. Rumors that Woodson isn’t exactly a grinder on the recruiting trail, and then what happened last night where Painter was watching Sisley and Shrewsberry watching Mullins and IU staff was MIA. To me, if Woodson does come back for another year, what does the portal look like if he needs to fill 5-6 spots? Is this what Dolson et al were hoping for/expecting when Woodson was hired?

Not being there isn't the end of the world. Most know and expect that Woodson is really busy.

But being there...that's such a powerful message to Sisley and his family that you care...or Mullins and his family...or whatever kid you go watch. And its such a simple gesture.

So, I'm sure Woody wasn't just tired and sitting at home...But I hope whatever he was doing with his time was equally as beneficial as the symbolic gesture would have been attending one of the sectionals.

The portal isn't even open yet. Have someone else drive you, have a couple hours worth of prospect videos queued up on an iPad...and have an incredibly productive night.
The good news is, if it's being discussed online, Dolson knows the real story, and that's who matters imo. Been saying for over a month, he should be meeting weekly with CMW basically under the premise that this is the most important program under his watch and he wants to be hearing what's being done to improve things.

Reactions: 76-1

I agree with you, but I am just not sure how much of an impact it has on the kid and family. It depends on the kid and their family. I think it means a lot more to those needing clicks to get paid and have subscribers expecting the latest greatest news. I had no problem being oblivious until I got my Inside Indiana. We have McNeeley signed and if he hangs in there, he will be an addition to whoever is coaching or on the roster. Unfortunately, I think roster management and transfer portal are more important than almost any high school kid in today's college sports.

The transfer portal has helped improved many IU teams like both soccer teams, women's basketball Parrish, Patberg and Scalia. swimming teams, baseball, softball and a few other teams I don't follow as closely.

i cannot believe I forgot to mention football, wrestling and volleyball.

I agree with you, but I am just not sure how much of an impact it has on the kid and family. It depends on the kid and their family. I think it means a lot more to those needing clicks to get paid and have subscribers expecting the latest greatest news. I had no problem being oblivious until I got my Inside Indiana. We have McNeeley signed and if he hangs in there, he will be an addition to whoever is coaching or on the roster. Unfortunately, I think roster management and transfer portal are more important than almost any high school kid in today's college sports.

The transfer portal has helped improved many IU teams like both soccer teams, women's basketball Parrish, Patberg and Scalia. swimming teams, baseball, softball and a few other teams I don't follow as closely.

i cannot believe I forgot to mention football, wrestling and volleyball.

I will ask you, if your kid was a highly rated recruit and other team's head coach came to watch him play and IU didn't even bother to send an assistant - what would you think?

I would think WTH!

Good lord. If this is true...

How many damned people does he have on his staff? Divide and conquer. Give each person 5-10 kids to evaluate. What would that be, if you include the entire staff...50-100 kids?

This year, maybe that should be 60-70 potential protal kids, 30-40 HS kids??...I don't know.

But the notion that Woodson can't drive a couple hours to watch Sisley's sectional game, because he's focusing on portal players... so stupid, and lazy, and misguided...

But then...he's been going to bed thinking about a 6th year PG that has a very established record of leading his teams to a .500 record.

So I guess it wouldn't surprise me if I heard Woody is solely focusing on portal kids right now.
I bet Dane Fife would have been in some of those gyms. If he could he would be in all of them at the same time.

It’s tough to know where the staff should be on any given day. I have no idea what IU’s relationship is with the Indiana targets, how many times they have met, what’s been said, etc. You know when the recruit talks about their top schools.

When you are losing a lot, people start to question everything.

There are people in the Indiana HS world that seem to say our assistants do a good to decent job working the state, but Woody doesn’t get out much. I don’t know if that is true, but I see it from all sorts of different people. It’s hard to picture rich and old Woody driving several hours on country roads to watch a game.

Part of what makes IU a great job is you should have preferred access to a state that produces a lot of good players. Everyone can see IUBB doesn’t have a culture, and the culture that makes the most sense for IU is a foundation of Indiana kids that play quality fundamental ball + shooting + high expectations on effort. Of course we need the highly rated players and sometimes Indiana doesn’t have great classes, but there is a role for Indiana kids at Indiana.

Something seems off when Matt Painter, coach of the #2 ranked team, is in the stands. And our coach of the #105 ranked team is nowhere to be seen.
He's a gym rat who likes to attend HS basketball games.

I will ask you, if your kid was a highly rated recruit and other team's head coach came to watch him play and IU didn't even bother to send an assistant - what would you think?

I would think WTH!
It would depend on what type of relationship my child and we had with the staff. Like I said I know we have made trips to the school to see him and had him to IU several times so the fact that they were not at my sectional game might not be a big deal if we had a good relationship already.

Reactions: Al Bino

It seems to be about 90% garbage around here.

In a myopic way it is fascinating to see what is happening with the mens basketball program. Woodson going to bed thinking about a 6th year PG with a .500 record, as you stated. Him also blaming the inexperience of 2nd semester sophomores on poor/inconsistent play. Only having 1 commit in a 24 class which we were told for awhile was the class the staff was focusing on. Rumors that Woodson isn’t exactly a grinder on the recruiting trail, and then what happened last night where Painter was watching Sisley and Shrewsberry watching Mullins and IU staff was MIA. To me, if Woodson does come back for another year, what does the portal look like if he needs to fill 5-6 spots? Is this what Dolson et al were hoping for/expecting when Woodson was hired?
No, I don't think Dolson was expecting dumpster diving (portal) to fill a roster every season. It is a no win situation for Woodson. If he recruits the portal, he will have nothing for a 2025 class. If he doesn't recruit the portal, he may not last long enough.

It would suck to know Woody was sitting home sipping wine and complaining about every player but X. That’s probably irrelevant. Just send one of your highly compensated buddies. Simple.

That is why Woodson is a portal guy he is just getting one year free agents. There is no hs recruiting to speak of he got three fall hs guys in two years. He is not willing to put in the hard work required for this job that is why he does better in the spring. It is a very short window where you do not have to do the long hard work.
But he's not a portal guy as evidenced by this year's portal performance. Brag on Ware all we want but Walker and Sparks have effectively added nothing, as well as the open seat.

The only thing that could save CMW is if the NCAA announced that since now college has professional players, like the NBA, recruiting will be discontinued and an NBA style draft will be instituted. Power 5 teams draft first in reverse order of NET ranking. Woody would be in the running for top pick (book first flight to Montverde).

• Haha
No, I don't think Dolson was expecting dumpster diving (portal) to fill a roster every season. It is a no win situation for Woodson. If he recruits the portal, he will have nothing for a 2025 class. If he doesn't recruit the portal, he may not last long enough.
stop with the dumpster diving. This is a new avenue to improve your team and good teams have gotten better: Purdue, TN, KU and IL have all improved with transfers. The problem wasn't getting Ware, who has been really good, the problem was not getting more transfers on the wing and who can shoot.

I think it's a mistake to build around the portal, but not using it would also be a mistake.

Reactions: z_one and stollcpa
But what is Woody's base to date?
Portal stocking not investing long term. If it was producing even solid results and upgrades, good start. However not solid results, no long term and now needing to score huge just to field team next season.. I see dumpster diving happening more this spring

But what is Woody's base to date?
Portal stocking not investing long term. If it was producing even solid results and upgrades, good start. However not solid results, no long term and now needing to score huge just to field team next season.. I see dumpster diving happening more this spring
Disclaimer...I'm not on Team Woody...I'd prefer to get a new coach this offseason...

But, I think that's incredibly unlikely, and above what I said in the first sentence, I want IU to be good, and to win. I don't think Woody being any sorts of successful is "setting the program back". I don't believe in sucking for a purpose. So, if Woody is the coach, I want him to be good and to win.

Lots of people are worried about stacking the roster with portal kids...and how that's a short term solution. That very well could be the case...but there's a very realistic path that doesn't lead to Woody/IU having to reset its full roster every single year for the next few years...

Here's the "core"...hopefully...

Cupps, Newton, McNeeley, Gunn. McNeeley could be a 1 and done type kid (hope he's that good!), but it doesn't seem like he will be. If he enjoys IU, I would expect multiple years out of him. The other 3, multiple more years as well. That core, alone, isn't good enough to win many games. But it can be a pretty solid, binding glue sort of group. I have a strong belief in Newton as that type of guy, Cupps is a gym rat, and from everything I've read about McNeeley, he's a kid that teammates love and gravitate too.

Add Sparks to the roster next year, but it'll be his last year, so I didn't list him in the "core group".

That's 5 for the full roster, 4 core...need more...so for next year, there are 2 places to go for more players. Late HS decommitted and/or unsigned players, and the portal. In Woody's first 2 offseasons, he has picked up talented kids both ways. So I don't think its a stretch to expect him to pick up some talent from these pools. On the high school side, No one knows yet what coaching changes will happen, who will decommit, etc...but I think its very possible he could add 1 more player to the longer term "core" group I listed above, and another higher star rating shorter term kid, from this pool of available players.

The Portal... Portal kids aren't all 1 year rentals...there will be A LOT of quality underclassmen portal kids, that will be looking for long term homes. If Woody were to get 2 more HS kids, that'd be roughly 7 scholly spots taken. He'll need 5-6 portal kids. If he were to find even a couple of kids that have, and intend to use, multiple years of remaining eligibility at IU...he could be looking at a new "core" of up to 6-7 players he could depend on being at IU for the next couple years, after this year.

These aren't reaches. This is how he balances the roster back out, flips the type of player strengths we have to a good blend of perimeter and inside talent, and resets the program for success.

Will he do it...can he do it...does he think he needs to do it this way...those are the millions of dollars questions.

Reactions: stollcpa and kkott
Disclaimer...I'm not on Team Woody...I'd prefer to get a new coach this offseason...

But, I think that's incredibly unlikely, and above what I said in the first sentence, I want IU to be good, and to win. I don't think Woody being any sorts of successful is "setting the program back". I don't believe in sucking for a purpose. So, if Woody is the coach, I want him to be good and to win.

Lots of people are worried about stacking the roster with portal kids...and how that's a short term solution. That very well could be the case...but there's a very realistic path that doesn't lead to Woody/IU having to reset its full roster every single year for the next few years...

Here's the "core"...hopefully...

Cupps, Newton, McNeeley, Gunn. McNeeley could be a 1 and done type kid (hope he's that good!), but it doesn't seem like he will be. If he enjoys IU, I would expect multiple years out of him. The other 3, multiple more years as well. That core, alone, isn't good enough to win many games. But it can be a pretty solid, binding glue sort of group. I have a strong belief in Newton as that type of guy, Cupps is a gym rat, and from everything I've read about McNeeley, he's a kid that teammates love and gravitate too.

Add Sparks to the roster next year, but it'll be his last year, so I didn't list him in the "core group".

That's 5...need more...so for next year, there are 2 places to go for more players. Late HS decommitted and/or unsigned players, and the portal. In Woody's first 2 offseasons, he has picked up talented kids this way. So I don't think its a stretch to expect him to pick up some talent from this pool. No one knows yet who that could, or might be...but I think its very possible you could add 1 more player to the longer term "core" group I listed above, and another higher star rating shorter term kid, from this pool of available players.

The Portal... Portal kids aren't all 1 year rentals...there will be A LOT of quality underclassmen portal kids, that will be looking for long term homes. If Woody were to get 2 more HS kids, that'd be roughly 7 scholly spots taken. He'll need 5-6 portal kids. If he were to find even a couple of kids that have, and intend to use, multiple years of remaining eligibility at IU...he could be looking at a new "core" of up to 6-7 players he could depend on being at IU for the next couple years, after this year.

These aren't reaches. This is how he balances the roster back out, flips the type of player strengths we have to a good blend of perimeter and inside talent, and resets the program for success.

Will he do it...can he do it...does he think he needs to do it this way...those are the millions of dollars questions.
The more I think about it, and knowing our big NIL donor is on board (somehow I didn’t expect that), I think we keep Reneau and MM. Reneau I think is unhappy but we’ll give him a lot of $ and sell roster changes helping him next year. I think we will show MM more $ than he could get as pro and get him to wait, he has progressed here. This may reduce portal needs.

This is setting up my nightmare of being okay but not achieving much, but it seems to be the path right now.

The more I think about it, and knowing our big NIL donor is on board (somehow I didn’t expect that), I think we keep Reneau and MM. Reneau I think is unhappy but we’ll give him a lot of $ and sell roster changes helping him next year. I think we will show MM more $ than he could get as pro and get him to wait, he has progressed here. This may reduce portal needs.

This is setting up my nightmare of being okay but not achieving much, but it seems to be the path right now.
To me Woody being able to thread the needle and put a team together for next season, largely made up of portal players, that will not just make the tournament, but make a run, is highly unlikely. I don’t think he lands any of the ‘25 Indiana kids and will likely be seen as a dead man walking next year anyway. If they are determined to give Woody year 4 just to say we gave him 4 years, so be it. But to do it because they honestly feel like he is the guy and will get this turned around?? Not buying it.

To me Woody being able to thread the needle and put a team together for next season, largely made up of portal players, that will not just make the tournament, but make a run, is highly unlikely. I don’t think he lands any of the ‘25 Indiana kids and will likely be seen as a dead man walking next year anyway. If they are determined to give Woody year 4 just to say we gave him 4 years, so be it. But to do it because they honestly feel like he is the guy and will get this turned around?? Not buying it.
It’s a nightmare.

When it’s comes to thinking IUBB, I ask myself, what is the worst outcome? Then I know what is likely.

I fear Reneau, MM, McNeely, Gallo, and some 8-10ppg guards are gonna barely make the tournament. That is enough talent. Then we have the “improvement” narrative, but we have more roster turnover coming and not much of a 2025 class, so we aren’t really building a program.

I don’t know. I was hoping we might have enough momentum for a coaching change in the next few weeks but doesn’t look like it.

Reactions: z_one and indy1203
Hearing that Sisley is visiting Purdue again Saturday for their game with MSU.

Reactions: z_one
It’s a nightmare.

When it’s comes to thinking IUBB, I ask myself, what is the worst outcome? Then I know what is likely.

I fear Reneau, MM, McNeely, Gallo, and some 8-10ppg guards are gonna barely make the tournament. That is enough talent. Then we have the “improvement” narrative, but we have more roster turnover coming and not much of a 2025 class, so we aren’t really building a program.

I don’t know. I was hoping we might have enough momentum for a coaching change in the next few weeks but doesn’t look like it.
As I have told a couple others, Indiana can do whatever it likes with regard to the mens basketball program. Fans will respond accordingly. If rumors are true that Pearl would be interested in the job and IU doesn’t take advantage and runs it back again next season as is…would be a shame.

Reactions: z_one
Regarding Sisley not liking or wanting to play for Woodson....I can pretty much guaranteed you that part is untrue. What I've been told from some pretty knowledgeable people, the family loves Woodson (probably been their favorite coach), but have some concerns about how Trent fits into the IU system.

Love Woodson based on what? Is he giving out boxes of cigars to friends and family?

The dude doesn't show up to Sisley's games, nor does any of his staff. Woodson is an underachiever on the bench. He can't construct a roster, and he is in a hot seat -- and if he doesn't win big next year, he will be gone.

If the Sisleys' only concern is how he would fit into IU's system -- that would be shocking.

I'm pretty sure they would have way more concerns than that. If not, they are doing their son a disservice in their evaluations of potential colleges.

Reactions: Al Bino
Love Woodson based on what? Is he giving out boxes of cigars to friends and family?

The dude doesn't show up to Sisley's games, nor does any of his staff. Woodson is an underachiever on the bench. He can't construct a roster, and he is in a hot seat -- and if he doesn't win big next year, he will be gone.

If the Sisleys' only concern is how he would fit into IU's system -- that would be shocking.

I'm pretty sure they would have way more concerns than that. If not, they are doing their son a disservice if they send him to Puke.
Fixed.

stop with the dumpster diving. This is a new avenue to improve your team and good teams have gotten better: Purdue, TN, KU and IL have all improved with transfers. The problem wasn't getting Ware, who has been really good, the problem was not getting more transfers on the wing and who can shoot.

I think it's a mistake to build around the portal, but not using it would also be a mistake.

Improving your team means filling in a role. e.g., Using one, maybe two portal players max.

Woodson dumpster dives because he has to fill a roster with portal players.

That dumpster will get a lot more full of trash after next year when all the 5th and 6th year COVID guys finally use up their eligibility. There will be fewer transfers -- and way less impactful transfers.

Anyone hoping to build rosters from the portal beyond 2025 will be in for a rude awakening.

IU is pretty much screwed right now.

Even if they hit the jackpot in the portal next year, then what? They would have to start all over, and they're not currently prioritizing building relationships with high school recruits -- unless the athlete attends Monteverde. Then Woodson is all over them (along with everyone else).

Would lightning strike twice -- in a year when the COVID players are all gone, and the pool of available plug-in-play players will be much smaller? Doubtful. Woodson couldn't even pull off that feat this year, coming off 2 back-to-back tourney finishes, a rabid fanbase, a NIL war chest, and a TON of available playing time.

What's the pitch for the next two years? "Come play at IU and help me from getting fired? Don't mind the chatter on social media; everything is just fine." More than likely it's "Hey we got some cash, do you want some?"

That's not going to end well either. Woodson is a dead man walking whether that comes in 2025 or 2026 will only depend on if he can do "just well enough" next year buying up the scraps.

Improving your team means filling in a role. e.g., Using one, maybe two portal players max.

Woodson dumpster dives because he has to fill a roster with portal players.

That dumpster will get a lot more full of trash after next year when all the 5th and 6th year COVID guys finally use up their eligibility. There will be fewer transfers -- and way less impactful transfers.

Anyone hoping to build rosters from the portal beyond 2025 will be in for a rude awakening.

IU is pretty much screwed right now.

Even if they hit the jackpot in the portal next year, then what? They would have to start all over, and they're not currently prioritizing building relationships with high school recruits -- unless the athlete attends Monteverde. Then Woodson is all over them (along with everyone else).

Would lightning strike twice -- in a year when the COVID players are all gone, and the pool of available plug-in-play players will be much smaller? Doubtful. Woodson couldn't even pull off that feat this year, coming off 2 back-to-back tourney finishes, a rabid fanbase, a NIL war chest, and a TON of available playing time.

What's the pitch for the next two years? "Come play at IU and help me from getting fired? Don't mind the chatter on social media; everything is just fine." More than likely it's "Hey we got some cash, do you want some?"

That's not going to end well either. Woodson is a dead man walking whether that comes in 2025 or 2026 will only depend on if he can do "just well enough" next year buying up the scraps.
I agree on Woody and believe it's in the best interest of the program to make a move now. Not so much because I think Woody's not the guy (I don't), but because I think there's a pretty good pool of possible coaches out there this year (May, Scherz, Beard, Pearl, IA St guy, SC guy, Matta... probably others I'm missing). The bottom line is that it's way more important to find the right guy, than it is to move on. If Dolson believes that guy is available this year, then he should move on. If he's not sold on someone, then it would be better to give Woodson another year, imo. We've shown finding "the guy" is not guaranteed. Next time, let's do it right.

As I have told a couple others, Indiana can do whatever it likes with regard to the mens basketball program. Fans will respond accordingly. If rumors are true that Pearl would be interested in the job and IU doesn’t take advantage and runs it back again next season as is…would be a shame.
It would be. To increase the talent, experience, and competence at coach would be fun. At that point we can all sit back and enjoy however far he can take us.

Last edited:
Regarding Sisley not liking or wanting to play for Woodson....I can pretty much guaranteed you that part is untrue. What I've been told from some pretty knowledgeable people, the family loves Woodson (probably been their favorite coach), but have some concerns about how Trent fits into the IU system.
It is Woodsons system is it not?

I agree on Woody and believe it's in the best interest of the program to make a move now. Not so much because I think Woody's not the guy (I don't), but because I think there's a pretty good pool of possible coaches out there this year (May, Scherz, Beard, Pearl, IA St guy, SC guy, Matta... probably others I'm missing). The bottom line is that it's way more important to find the right guy, than it is to move on. If Dolson believes that guy is available this year, then he should move on. If he's not sold on someone, then it would be better to give Woodson another year, imo. We've shown finding "the guy" is not guaranteed. Next time, let's do it right.
I have zero faith in those decision makers to have a guy in place before moving on from Woody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT