ADVERTISEMENT

Big chatter elsewhere on the net about IU staff (not) attending HS sectional games.

Improving your team means filling in a role. e.g., Using one, maybe two portal players max.

Woodson dumpster dives because he has to fill a roster with portal players.

That dumpster will get a lot more full of trash after next year when all the 5th and 6th year COVID guys finally use up their eligibility. There will be fewer transfers -- and way less impactful transfers.

Anyone hoping to build rosters from the portal beyond 2025 will be in for a rude awakening.

IU is pretty much screwed right now.

Even if they hit the jackpot in the portal next year, then what? They would have to start all over, and they're not currently prioritizing building relationships with high school recruits -- unless the athlete attends Monteverde. Then Woodson is all over them (along with everyone else).

Would lightning strike twice -- in a year when the COVID players are all gone, and the pool of available plug-in-play players will be much smaller? Doubtful. Woodson couldn't even pull off that feat this year, coming off 2 back-to-back tourney finishes, a rabid fanbase, a NIL war chest, and a TON of available playing time.

What's the pitch for the next two years? "Come play at IU and help me from getting fired? Don't mind the chatter on social media; everything is just fine." More than likely it's "Hey we got some cash, do you want some?"

That's not going to end well either. Woodson is a dead man walking whether that comes in 2025 or 2026 will only depend on if he can do "just well enough" next year buying up the scraps.
The Covid eligibility extensions have had a big impact and I agree the expirations will have an equally big impact.

Held up as a counter example is Painter showing up for Sisley’s game.

Is this really important? What do you think it indicates (if anything)?
Given the chatter down here about Sisley, I don’t think it should be all that surprising that Painter went to HH’s game and Woodson didn’t.

Reactions: z_one
The Covid eligibility extensions have had a big impact and I agree the expirations will have an equally big impact.
UK’s top scorer, transfer Antonio Reeves, is playing his fifth season at 23 years of age and exactly the same for Tre Mitchell top scorer on their front line.

Last edited:
Woody hasn’t given a shit about Indiana recruits since he got here. Everyone knows it.

The talent in the state varies, so I’m not saying we need a majority of Indiana kids.

But there is a role for local recruits at IU, and they’re the type of kids that can establish the core and culture that we are missing. And sometimes the big time 5*s come around and you have to get them. I doubt the next EJ or Yogi will be a lock to IU.

Pathetic.

Woody hasn’t given a shit about Indiana recruits since he got here. Everyone knows it.

The talent in the state varies, so I’m not saying we need a majority of Indiana kids.

But there is a role for local recruits at IU, and they’re the type of kids that can establish the core and culture that we are missing. And sometimes the big time 5*s come around and you have to get them. I doubt the next EJ or Yogi will be a lock to IU.

Pathetic.
I guess I am not everyone as I don't see Woodson not caring about state of Indiana recruits.

He may pay more attention to the whole country but to say he has not cared about Indiana kids is disingenuous at best. The following is a list of interest, offers and visits both official and unofficial.

Booker

Colvin (always going to Purdue if in state)
Roberts

Bidunga

Sisley
Mullins
Harrelson

I know Indiana has good basketball players and Painter has long established relationships with high schools. I have agreed with poor roster management and maybe going all in on to small a pool of candidates is legitimate concern. Internet chatter is just that and I personally don't know many who truly have inside information.

Sisley was at the Purdue game last night on an unofficial visit
So what? All recruits go to games at schools that are recruiting them. Why wouldn't you? It's a free game and a chance to get treated like a minor celebrity.

I guess I am not everyone as I don't see Woodson not caring about state of Indiana recruits.

He may pay more attention to the whole country but to say he has not cared about Indiana kids is disingenuous at best. The following is a list of interest, offers and visits both official and unofficial.

Booker

Roberts

Bidunga

Sisley
Mullins
Harrelson

I know Indiana has good basketball players and Painter has long established relationships with high schools. I have agreed with poor roster management and maybe going all in on to small a pool of candidates is legitimate concern. Internet chatter is just that and I personally don't know many who truly have inside information.
I get your point. But we are always going to have some level of visits/offers. We would have to compare that to previous Indiana coaches and/or Purdue. I’m not up for that much work.

I struggle with how many unrelated people are saying we aren’t prioritizing Indiana. I’m sure some may be biased or have an axe to grind, but the sample size is so large that can’t be all of it.

I use a little bit of hyperbole in the post. We’ve got a team with fundamentals and shooting issues (plus general identity/culture problems) in a state that produces players with good fundamentals and shooting. Just boggles my mind sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuski

Booker

Roberts

Bidunga

Sisley
Mullins
Harrelson

Woodson has landed 1 Indiana HS commit in 3 years (Gunn who had already committed to Archie).

Does that sound like somebody who cares about Indiana HS players?

Reactions: Indymoon
The latter. And, watch it happen all over again this year as we lose a massive amount of players. X, Walker gone, Ware NBA, Malik NBA?, Mgbako transfer/NBA?, Cupps/Banks transfer, leaving:

Galloway (Covid year)
Leal (Sr)
Sparks (Sr)
Cupps (Soph)
Newton (Fr)
McNeeley (Fr)

Even if Malik and Mgbako return, it still leaves at least 5 positions that will need to be filled. Starters would be Malik, Mgbako, Galloway. This leaves a wing (McNeeley?) and a point guard. Nothing against Cupps, but he still needs to be the backup pg.
You forgot about Gunn.

It’s tough to know where the staff should be on any given day. I have no idea what IU’s relationship is with the Indiana targets, how many times they have met, what’s been said, etc. You know when the recruit talks about their top schools.

When you are losing a lot, people start to question everything.

There are people in the Indiana HS world that seem to say our assistants do a good to decent job working the state, but Woody doesn’t get out much. I don’t know if that is true, but I see it from all sorts of different people. It’s hard to picture rich and old Woody driving several hours on country roads to watch a game.

Part of what makes IU a great job is you should have preferred access to a state that produces a lot of good players. Everyone can see IUBB doesn’t have a culture, and the culture that makes the most sense for IU is a foundation of Indiana kids that play quality fundamental ball + shooting + high expectations on effort. Of course we need the highly rated players and sometimes Indiana doesn’t have great classes, but there is a role for Indiana kids at Indiana.

Something seems off when Matt Painter, coach of the #2 ranked team, is in the stands. And our coach of the #105 ranked team is nowhere to be seen.
The bolded part is so true…

Unless Gunn transfers to a mid-major where he can start right away, I think he would be better off staying. I agree about Cupps.
To be successful at all next year, Woody has to make serious upgrades in the guard and wing spots to move this team forward. This will have to include a legitimate shooting guard and legitimate wing (McNeeley?).

By default, with Cupps and Galloway returning, and if Newton is ready, this puts Gunn buried on the bench as we’ve recently seen he’s nowhere near a starting role. This is why I believe he’ll transfer.

Unless Gunn transfers to a mid-major where he can start right away, I think he would be better off staying. I agree about Cupps.
You should catch up on the current internet buzz sounds like any and all players could leave including cupps. Sounds like xavier and Cinn are very interested in him. Now this assumes woodson stays.

You should catch up on the current internet buzz sounds like any and all players could leave including cupps. Sounds like xavier and Cinn are very interested in him. Now this assumes woodson stays.
Man Dolson may pull off the biggest fleecing in IU fandom. Gave woody that 1 million raise to put that buyout clause in. Dolson knew he needed an easier path to move. It’s actually genius. Dolson just said N.A. N.A. N.A. N.A. N.A.

• Love
Reactions: stollcpa
Internet buzz. Don‘t know how much is speculation being repeated in an echo chamber.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Temper your expectations, folks. If rumors were true, Stevens or Donovan would be coaching IU right now.

Temper your expectations, folks. If rumors were true, Stevens or Donovan would be coaching IU right now.
Exactly internet rumors are 95% misinformation or mostly false based on someone wanting to be the one who breaks a story. Over the last several years our whole team was leaving,

Usually what happens the season plays out and then each staff and player evaluate their team and or personal situation and make decisions based on what they believe to be best for them.

Once coaching changes happen, the transfer portal opens up, players make decision on trying the NBA or at least to be evaluated by the scouts then roster management happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT