ADVERTISEMENT

Big/ACC?

Egg Shen

Benchwarmer
Mar 24, 2017
Anyone know when the matchups are to be announced? Seems like it was out already this time last year. Sorry if this has been discussed new to the board.

Anyone know when the matchups are to be announced? Seems like it was out already this time last year. Sorry if this has been discussed new to the board.
No info yet, but you're right, it should be anytime now.

I always thought teams were matched up by how they finished the previous year. IU drawing DUKE and UNC in consecutive years would show scheduling is probably driven by the networks and not on performance.

I'm not going to take the time to compare our ACC opponent to other teams in the B1G, but I'm curious if we play Duke / UNC more often than the other schools? If it turns out we do, it shows we are still a marquee program in the conference. I am curious if Purdue draws UNC or they get a late game with Wake Forest.

This game with Duke is an opportunity to bolster our schedule. We know we will play at Seton Hall, Notre Dame, UL, and now Duke. Get rid of the 300+ ranked teams and we have a pretty nice schedule.

Reactions: BigMobe
I always thought teams were matched up by how they finished the previous year. IU drawing DUKE and UNC in consecutive years would show scheduling is probably driven by the networks and not on performance.

I'm not going to take the time to compare our ACC opponent to other teams in the B1G, but I'm curious if we play Duke / UNC more often than the other schools? If it turns out we do, it shows we are still a marquee program in the conference. I am curious if Purdue draws UNC or they get a late game with Wake Forest.

This game with Duke is an opportunity to bolster our schedule. We know we will play at Seton Hall, Notre Dame, UL, and now Duke. Get rid of the 300+ ranked teams and we have a pretty nice schedule.
PU is playing LVille for the second year in a row.

Nebraska vs BC
PSU at NC State
Purdue vs Louisville
Maryland at Syracuse
Iowa at VA Tech
Northwestern at GT
Michigan at UNC
OSU vs Clemson
Rutgers vs FSU
Wisconsin at UVA
Illinois at Wake Forest
Duke at Indiana
Miami at Minnesota

Theoretically, the schedule is determined by the projected order of finish for the coming season as predicted by the coaches in each respective conference. However, there are other considerations. No team can be scheduled for more than two consecutive road games in the series. Also, objections can be accommodated. Last year, Ohio State didn't want to play at Louisville because of a recruit that decommitted from Louisville and who signed with OSU. It wouldn't shock me to learn that Krzyzewski didn't want to play at MSU this year and arranged the game at IU. Finally, there isn't that much movement in the perceived order of the schools from year to year so everyone does tend to play the same opponents frequently.

PU is playing LVille for the second year in a row.
Without looking, I would expect MSU would then play UNC. It would be easier if they would lock those games in as a home and home series for a couple of years and then move to another school. Michigan would probably want to get a chance to play Duke, UNC, or UL.

Theoretically, the schedule is determined by the projected order of finish for the coming season as predicted by the coaches in each respective conference. However, there are other considerations. No team can be scheduled for more than two consecutive road games in the series. Also, objections can be accommodated. Last year, Ohio State didn't want to play at Louisville because of a recruit that decommitted from Louisville and who signed with OSU. It wouldn't shock me to learn that Krzyzewski didn't want to play at MSU this year and arranged the game at IU. Finally, there isn't that much movement in the perceived order of the schools from year to year so everyone does tend to play the same opponents frequently.
I thought OSU and UL didn't happen at UL because JaQuan Lyle was interviewed by the NCAA for his hooker/stripper involvement while on a recruiting trip. I don't think OSU or UL wanted JaQuan to play in Louisville. Pitino probably wasn't as concerned about JaQuan uncommitting as he was about the attention it would place on the scandal if one of the known participants were to return.

I thought OSU and UL didn't happen at UL because JaQuan Lyle was interviewed by the NCAA for his hooker/stripper involvement while on a recruiting trip. I don't think OSU or UL wanted JaQuan to play in Louisville. Pitino probably wasn't as concerned about JaQuan uncommitting as he was about the attention it would place on the scandal if one of the known participants were to return.

Yep you're right here. That's why Purdue played Louisville instead.

Without looking, I would expect MSU would then play UNC. It would be easier if they would lock those games in as a home and home series for a couple of years and then move to another school. Michigan would probably want to get a chance to play Duke, UNC, or UL.
I think MSU is playing Notre Dame and UM is playing UNC

Hoosiers Host Duke in 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge

BLOOMINGTON, Indiana – The Indiana men's basketball team will once again be in the national spotlight when it hosts Duke in the 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The date, time and TV network assignment will be announced at a later date. This will be the fourth time the two storied programs that each boast five NCAA titles have met in this event and ninth time overall they will have competed against one another. This will be Duke's second visit to Bloomington. They defeated IU, 75-67, in this event on November 30, 2005.

Notables
• The Hoosiers have won their last four games in Assembly Hall in this event after defeating eventual national champion North Carolina, 76-67, last season.

• IU junior Zach McRoberts will be the second member of his family to take part in this series. His brother Josh, now with the Miami Heat, was a freshman for Duke when the two teams played in Assembly Hall in 2005.

• Duke is rated No. 5 in the ESPN Preseason Poll. This is the third time in four years that IU has drawn a top-10 opponent in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The Blue Devils are 16-2 in the Challenge.

2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
Duke at Indiana
Northwestern at Georgia Tech
Notre Dame at Michigan State
Miami at Minnesota
Penn State at NC State
Boston College at Nebraska
Michigan at North Carolina
Clemson at Ohio State
Louisville at Purdue
Florida State at Rutgers
Maryland at Syracuse
Wisconsin at Virginia
Iowa at Virginia Tech
Illinois at Wake Forest
(dates, start times and TV designations will be announced at a later date)

IU in Big Ten/ACC Challenge (7-9)
11/30/16 #3 N. Carolina W, 76-67
12/2/15 at #7 Duke L, 94-74
12/2/14 Pittsburgh W, 81-69
12/3/13 at #4 Syracuse L, 52-69
11/27/12 #14 N. Carolina W, 83-59
11/29/11 at NC State W, 86-75
11/30/10 at Boston College L, 76-88
12/1/09 Maryland L, 68-80
12/2/08 at #17 Wake Forest L, 58-83
11/27/07 Georgia Tech W, 83-79
11/28/06 at Duke L, 51-54
11/30/05 #1 Duke L, 67-75
12/1/04 #11 N. Carolina L, 63-70
12/2/03 at #16 Wake Forest L, 67-100
12/3/02 vs. #8 Maryland W, 80-74 (OT)*
11/28/01 at N. Carolina W, 79-66
* - game in Indianapolis

Series History vs. Duke (Duke leads 5-3)
12/2/15 L, 74-94 Durham
11/28/06 L, 51-54 Durham
11/30/05 L, 67-75 Bloomington
3/21/02 W, 74-73 Lexington
11/29/96 W, 85-69 New York
11/24/95 L, 64-70 Anchorage
4/4/92 L, 78-81 Minneapolis
3/20/87 W, 88-82 Cincinnati

iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/6/8/mens-basketball-hoosiers-host-duke-in-2017-big-ten-acc-challenge.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Hoogolf
Yep. I knew there was a connection to Lyle, but forgot the details. Thanks.

When all the dust settles, UNC could easily be predicted to finish after Louisville, Notre Dame, and Miami. Duke will be picked first, struggle early, and it remains to be seen if their frosh can gel before the end of the conference season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT