ADVERTISEMENT

Bates versus Franklin?

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
Things are quiet, so anyone care to compare / contrast Franklin and Bates?

At initial glance both seem to have had similar numbers as freshmen. Franklin made a big jump for his sophomore year. Any similarities and differences you see?

I'm going to go with Bates as a higher ceiling.
He just needs to see the floor more..It'll slowdown for him..
To me he aims the ball..Instead of letting it flow..
He could jump some this next yr..Maybe a bunch !.....He does have talent .

Franklin better shooter, Bates better on the drive?

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Agree. I’d take Bates every time. Bates is quicker, has better, hops, will be a better shooter, and has a higher ceiling as a scorer. Bates has a better mid range game and will be a better finisher. Just needs 10 or 15 lbs and playing time. Franklin is a better defender right now.

Franklin better shooter, Bates better on the drive?
I'll give that..But Franklin is no knock down shooter..
I watched a couple times this yr..I didn't see any improvement from last yr.
Course ..Two games isn't much of of a look..

I didn’t see him play this year, and I’m not trying to compare a freshman (as is) to a junior (as is).

as a sophomore., Franklin seemed very solid. Though, IIRC correctly he had a rough freshman year from 3. ?????

I didn’t see him play this year, and I’m not trying to compare a freshman (as is) to a junior (as is).

as a sophomore., Franklin seemed very solid. Though, IIRC correctly he had a rough freshman year from 3. ?????
Yea, it's really yet to be seen. I think Tamar has a more complete game than Armaan though. We'll see ..

Last edited:
Things are quiet, so anyone care to compare / contrast Franklin and Bates?

At initial glance both seem to have had similar numbers as freshmen. Franklin made a big jump for his sophomore year. Any similarities and differences you see?
Biggest difference initially is that it’s obvious Franklin grew up in Indiana around Indiana high school coaches. It’s also obvious Bates did not. Laugh at me all you want.

I think Bates may have better athleticism and physical tools, but it’s close. Bates loves to have and keep the ball in his hands more that’s for sure. Could be good, could be bad.

Reactions: Spartans9312
IMO, Bates wants to attack & be aggressive, which is not something that’s easy to teach. His post freshman growth opportunities are gaining strength, defensive tenacity and relaxing into the flow of the offense.
Ha, that’s the first thing AAU and diploma mill academies teach.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I will take Bates and its not even close. I really believe he is a better shooter than Franklin and the only thing Franklin does better is play defense.
Bates has tools to be a great defender but may not have the will.

Reactions: kkott
Most others have essentially said this but TB is behinf AF at this point but likely has a broader and greater upside. We won't know this until mid next season. TB also doesn't have a helicopter parent in the way.

Most others have essentially said this but TB is behinf AF at this point but likely has a broader and greater upside. We won't know this until mid next season. TB also doesn't have a helicopter parent in the way.
But was he behind after frosh seasons?

I am too lazy to look, but seems like they had similar freshman campaigns, then Franklin had a much bigger role as a sophomore. I think he went from under 4 ppg to over 11, and his 3 pt % shot up.

I presume Bates will have a jump this year.

I guess the point of my OP was to ask to compare / contrast what they do (in other words, at similar points of their careers, what differences / similarities did you see?)

Reactions: B1G_Fan
Bates has tools to be a great defender but may not have the will.
Do me a favor. Save this post. If in a year from now, if you don't think this was one of the dumbest things you have ever posted, ill give you a hundred bucks.

The one thing I am positive about Tamar, his will is greater than anything I have seen in a long time on IU.

Reactions: kkott
Do me a favor. Save this post. If in a year from now, if you don't think this was one of the dumbest things you have ever posted, ill give you a hundred bucks.

The one thing I am positive about Tamar, his will is greater than anything I have seen in a long time on IU.
i am sorry but his defense was average at best. I am a fan of his and that is what i saw.

And yes he is much better than Franklin.

I Can't wait!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT