ADVERTISEMENT

B1G goes through Bloomington

Illinois-Missouri is likely the best and most unique non-conference setup in the nation and has been a fantastic rivalry for over 40 years. Anyone who’s ever been to that game would tell you how cool it is.

I get you guys are excited to be “back,” but as a lowly peasant Illini fan from Chicago … I must tell you that you severely overestimate how much any Illini fan feels literally any need for validation from IU fans at this point. We literally won the conference, had our starters graduate or go pro and then reloaded with arguably the best transfer class in the nation and a top ten class … we aren’t exactly worried, lol. The only difference is we respect other teams who look to be good, giving them their due (including IU, who I expect to be in the mix), whereas many of your fans struggle to understand there’s a world outside Bloomington, IN.

Want to know why I or any other Illini fan might be lurking? Because your board is free and ours isn’t. It’s not specific to IU, I look at Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa, etc. boards.
Yeah, I know a Mizzou fan, and I felt that was probably the biggest rivalry, or what any IL fan would say, but the other comments had me wondering. I would agree it's a good one and a game I try and watch every year.

As far as validation goes... well, OK, OK, whatever you say... but here you are, on an IU board in early June! I hope you understand how ironic that sounds. You know most alcoholics deny having a problem, right?

I don't know what world you live in, but I read my own board daily, even multiple times a day (and, it's nice to know IL has a board!),and no IU fan that I know or read, thinks we are the end-all, be-all; especially now. The national bball world has carried on mostly without us for the last 20 years, so no one believes otherwise.

The really irritating thing is for the most part the IL fans that I've seen posting here, are not even talking bball... just taking shots at IU. And you wonder why you don't feel welcome?

I recall well arriving in Briscoe in 1984 and all the arrogant Chicago kids walking around talking chit after the Cubs took a 2-0 lead in the playoffs, only to have the Padres come back and sweep 3 in a row. Funny how quickly that dried up. Of course, at least the Cubs did finally win something.

I'm not sure IL fans would acknowledge NW as their rival. If they had to say, I would guess Mizzou, as I think they see themselves as above NW.

IL fans, you certainly seem to be lurking; what are your thoughts on your biggest rivals?
I have quite a few Illinois fan friends...most from my college years. Most of them would say Michigan is their main rival. Similar to us, they refer back to the "Flying Illini" glory days, and for whatever reason, maybe because Michigan won that 89' title, they target them as their main rival. Football probably plays a role too. They've had a little bit more success against them in football, and obvioulsly Michigan is one of the top 2 football brands in our conference.

They would say they don't like IU because of RMK...and because their perception of IU fans is they are "snobby". But that IU isn't as big of a rival because we haven't been that good for so long, and because our football team is crap usually.

Illinois-Missouri is likely the best and most unique non-conference setup in the nation and has been a fantastic rivalry for over 40 years. Anyone who’s ever been to that game would tell you how cool it is.

I get you guys are excited to be “back,” but as a lowly peasant Illini fan from Chicago … I must tell you that you severely overestimate how much any Illini fan feels literally any need for validation from IU fans at this point. We literally won the conference, had our starters graduate or go pro and then reloaded with arguably the best transfer class in the nation and a top ten class … we aren’t exactly worried, lol. The only difference is we respect other teams who look to be good, giving them their due (including IU, who I expect to be in the mix), whereas many of your fans struggle to understand there’s a world outside Bloomington, IN.

Want to know why I or any other Illini fan might be lurking? Because your board is free and ours isn’t. It’s not specific to IU, I look at Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa, etc. boards.
You backed into the conference championship because Wisconsin shit the bed at home against the worst team in the league. There is no fanbase that lacks self awareness more than Illinois’. You haven’t been to the sweet 16 since 2005. Your big accomplishment in that same timeframe is 1 Big Ten championship. You guys all circle jerk over a coach that hasn’t proven anything at the age of 60. Underwood doesn’t even have an as accomplished record as Tom Crean.

You got two decent transfers in Mayer and Shannon. Neither of which have been the main guy on their teams in 3+ years of college basketball. They aren't replacing Kofi, Plummer, Frazier, Grandison, Curbelo, and Williams. Dainja is Omar Payne 2.0.

You talk like it's just IU fans talking down to Illinois. Can you find me a single pre season ranking with Illinois ranked ahead of IU? I can find multiple with Illinois not even in the top 25. You have no guard play outside of the freshman. I'd probably put you 4th or 5th in the league right now.

Absolutely no IU fan is looking for validation from ILLINi fans. That statement is a bit

Yet are always posting on the Indiana boards?

Free or not, I couldn't begin to tell you how to find an Illinois message board even if you pointed me in the right direction because that's how little I care or feel about Illinois.

Basically, for us to become a B10 title contender, we need multiple guys from this list to push for All Big Ten level play...

Bates
Geronimo
Hood-Schofino
Reneau

While I do think having a full year under their belts in Woody's system will help...If our team is solely led by X, TJD, and Race, and we play Miller a ton, and then fill in with support minutes from that list I mentioned... That won't be good enough to go from 9-11 to winning the B10. X, TJD, Race, and Miller are not going to improve THAT much.
I get that 9-11 is a big leap but of those 11 losses, a lot of them were down to the wire. One would surmise the opposing team losing players and IU merely retaining them would then result in a likelihood IU pulls a lot of those out last year. So I wouldn't get too hung up on 9-11 and think there was a LOT of ground that would need to be covered in order for IU to improve that record quite drastically.

I get that 9-11 is a big leap but of those 11 losses, a lot of them were down to the wire. One would surmise the opposing team losing players and IU merely retaining them would then result in a likelihood IU pulls a lot of those out last year. So I wouldn't get too hung up on 9-11 and think there was a LOT of ground that would need to be covered in order for IU to improve that record quite drastically.
Indiana lost 5 conference games by 5 points or less last year and a 6th in OT to Ohio State. IU had the lead in 4 of the 6 contests at the last media TO and trailed Penn State and Purdue by a single point in the other two. Win half those games and IU finishes the B10 tied for 4th. That's the margin of error looking at the grand scheme of things.

Anything outside of top 3 would be massivley underachieving, unless some catastrophic injuries happen. Our team is absolutely loaded compared to any roster in the B1G. With the MI guys bouncing, there is no roster that even comes close to us.

We will have the most experienced team in the country. Look at our 3 best players, Races 6th year on IU, X's 5th year playing college bball, TJDs senior year... That experience has never happened in college basketball, ever. Covid even is giving Miller his 5th year playing, also a returning starter, and being dismissed by many as even a part of the puzzle.

So if a guy that started all year for a tourney team, coming back for his 5th year isn't looked at as being a huge piece of the puzzle....Hell I have seen a lot of people thinking Miller will be the 9th or 10th man. That is an insane jump in talent.

One of JG, Tamar, JHS, or Malik needs to hit next year. Im a gambler, those odds are amazing. If one of those guys is thought of as a 1st round pick after next season, IU should be a top 5 team in the country.
Experience is certainly a big plus. It talent will often trump experience. Thankfully we have both going for us. I think we need to have two of those guys you list to hit if we are going to be where we all want to be this year.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Basically, for us to become a B10 title contender, we need multiple guys from this list to push for All Big Ten level play...

Bates
Geronimo
Hood-Schofino
Reneau

While I do think having a full year under their belts in Woody's system will help...If our team is solely led by X, TJD, and Race, and we play Miller a ton, and then fill in with support minutes from that list I mentioned... That won't be good enough to go from 9-11 to winning the B10. X, TJD, Race, and Miller are not going to improve THAT much.
I have to agree.
X and Race will not jump.
TJD might if he ever develops a mid range game.
JG, TB, could jump.
We need a freshman to surprise.

I have to agree.
X and Race will not jump.
TJD might if he ever develops a mid range game.
JG, TB, could jump.
We need a freshman to surprise.

XJ is likely the best returning PG (at least on paper) in the B10 and played the last third of the season at a fringe all-American level; averaged nearly 17ppg, 6.5 asst, and 4 rebs while shooting 45% from 3 on a fairly high volume of attempts. Also had better than a 2:1 A/TO ratio.

Two All-B10 level players in XJ and TJD along with an ultimate glue guy in Race should be enough to compete for a B10 championship regardless of who does or doesn’t make a jump. A deep tourney run is likely dependent on a few of those names making jumps or being surprises, but make no mistake, IU has the horses to compete for a B10 title simply based on who is coming and going throughout the B10.

The B1G train may indeed roll through Bloomington….but it rarely stops there. Usually ends up in East Lansing or Madison.

Beat Wisconsin, for once, please.
Cool story crusty. No1 cares what you think about the matter. Keep acting like your opinions matter tho, I realize the real world kicks you in the ass everyday. If this is the only place where you can build self esteem, go for it O’l crust.

XJ is likely the best returning PG (at least on paper) in the B10 and played the last third of the season at a fringe all-American level; averaged nearly 17ppg, 6.5 asst, and 4 rebs while shooting 45% from 3 on a fairly high volume of attempts. Also had better than a 2:1 A/TO ratio.

Two All-B10 level players in XJ and TJD along with an ultimate glue guy in Race should be enough to compete for a B10 championship regardless of who does or doesn’t make a jump. A deep tourney run is likely dependent on a few of those names making jumps or being surprises, but make no mistake, IU has the horses to compete for a B10 title simply based on who is coming and going throughout the B10.
Double DITTO!!

The Big is always full of surprises. Last year it was predicted to have the best big men in the country, but come draft time its sending 3 guards outta nowhere in the top ten picks.

Cool story crusty. No1 cares what you think about the matter. Keep acting like your opinions matter tho, I realize the real world kicks you in the ass everyday. If this is the only place where you can build self esteem, go for it O’l crust.
Looking forward to your top notch reports on the players this season and their:
  • Favorite pizza
  • Funniest player
  • Hottest mom
  • Car reviews from XJ

Reactions: hoosier48
Looking forward to your top notch reports on the players this season and their:
  • Favorite pizza
  • Funniest player
  • Hottest mom
  • Car reviews from XJ
Man you really bring nothing to the table. I'm not exactly a rah rah guy but you really bring nothing but negativity to the table. I mainly see you after losses.

Man you really bring nothing to the table. I'm not exactly a rah rah guy but you really bring nothing but negativity to the table. I mainly see you after losses.
Dunning-Kruegers always think they are clever and smart.

I was looking for those same stats on XJ in March. That's a huge piece of the argument for IU making a big jump over last year, having a really good (on both ends of the court) PG.

Illinois fans seem upset.

I wish they had a rival
Among the IU student body these days, the hate for Illinois is more than that of Purdue. Hoosiers still dominate the undergrad population in raw numbers, but student life is dictated by the Chicago area.

• Haha
Reactions: brianiu
Among the IU student body these days, the hate for Illinois is more than that of Purdue. Hoosiers still dominate the undergrad population in raw numbers, but student life is dictated by the Chicago area.
well, maybe not that much has changed. The Chitown kids in my dorm thought they dictated life at the time!

well, maybe not that much has changed. The Chitown kids in my dorm thought they dictated life at the time!
Well. They’re in the best houses, dominate the Kelley population, and have the most money.

They dictated then and do now, and will for the rest of your life farm boy.

Kkott, kudos to you on the vivid recollection by Briscoe Cub fans and their reactions against the Padres in ‘84!!! Wow!! I was there too.

This Briscoe Sox fan found lots of OTHER things to do that week to avoid watching that series…the Library, Laundry and 4 PM Mass at St Paul’s on Sunday during game 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT