ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

In the history of IU football when winning they have never had 50,000 plus the rest of the way. Check the IU Foootball media guide. Fans today will leave at halftime as will the students because "its too hot" ... I wish it were different because this team deserves a filled stadium but don't count on it. That Nebraska game will have over 10,000 from Nebraska if not more.
In 3 weeks it will be too cold!

It really was. You can say it’s an excuse but my clothes were absolutely soaked. I was drinking water all game and I still felt bad. If it’s that hot, I need to be in a pool!
Lots of people taking breaks on the concourse 91 bright sun in a crowd is no fun.

I thought the place would empty at half but it didn’t. Several older folks sitting in the EMT area with ice bags on their necks.

We got a passout, came back and stayed until the end. While we were heading out to get our tickets scanned for a passout, a big crowd walked on out. I didn't see another person scan their ticket around us. As we were heading back in, our tailgating neighbor seemed shocked we were going back in.

My thought on tailgating is it is fun and I look forward seeing our friends every Saturday, But I can sit outside and listen to the game while sipping on a drink and eating meat du jour at home. Why would I drive to the game and not go in? We had some younger adults sit by us that came in the middle of the second quarter and didn't return. Pu$$ies! They said it was too hot.

The first half was hot. There was cloud cover and a breeze in the second half. It was a good move to allow water bottles to be brought in and refilling stations.

I h
I would drive three and a half hours each way, battle heavy traffic around Indianapolis and then congestion near the stadium, then pay for parking. There is no way I would just stay in the parking lot and not go inside the stadium.

Beer selection still sucks. I'm a beer snob and love IPA's, but only having a malty 16 oz. Dragonfly on a 90 degree day is not enjoyable. Have some sessions like Campside, Lil Dragonfly. And sell 12 oz cans. The beer gets warm too quickly.
I have my $9 beers before and after the game….when I can drink 6 of them for the same price.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Lots of people taking breaks on the concourse 91 bright sun in a crowd is no fun.

I thought the place would empty at half but it didn’t. Several older folks sitting in the EMT area with ice bags on their necks.
I saw 3 people in motorized wheelchairs near the front of our entrance stay until the end sweating it out as the able bodied fans filed past them and exit at the start of the 4th.
Some people just are mentally tougher.

I was also disappointed by the crowd but the headwinds against this program are hard to overcome. Coach Cig will though. He is the rocket ship that Hep foretold about.

This weekend might be 2 top 25 teams. It better be a sell out(or at least close. . Season ticket holders and students who don't show up this weekend should lose their tickets for the rest of the season.
Same for premium tailgate parking who watch second half from lots.

Where it’s a long walk.

Parking costs around the stadium is a problem, and lots seem underutilized.
We had a couple come our tailgate that parked at the church across the bypass on the south side of the complex. They said $30 and there was a police controlled walkway set up for them.

Weighing in on attendance and game experience yesterday.

Double IU grad, played some frosh ball. 75ish years old, enough to remember both "rose bowl" games now. ;)
Die hard IU football and basketball (and soccer and volleyball and base/softball) all of which are decent and (if soccer steps up again like I think they will again this season) ... all on the rise.

Live 5 hours away in O$U central (hate 'em).

Bought 2 tickets weeks ahead, $120. Bought parking ahead, and ticket office was less than helpful, have mobility issues, "best available" was in Forest green lot, $35 + another $10. Answer to "Is there handicap drop off?" was "I don't think so." Contacted about seat backs, again less than helpful "must pick them up inside stadium and can't reserve" and "not sure where in the stadium that's at." Hotel $170. And then, the traffic (which is the same for 50+ years) sucks and both city & university incapable/unwilling (or?) to fix it. $450+. And, yes, hotter than hades, with no tailgate to resort to. Great win, but the experience wasn't pretty. Well, pretty embarrassing IMO on the university's part ... have a good team on the field and chaos from start to finish. I don't want to think what three times the attendance will look like!

Love the direction fb is going, but was one of the worst fan/ticket/parking experiences I've seen (and I've seen a lot of Universities/arenas).

Oh, you "don't have to get off my lawn."
I cannot speak for south of 17th, but there are mobility golf carts swarming the north side lots.

Plenty of free street parking with a relatively easy walk in the area north of 10th to the railroad underpass (roughly 13th St) between Dunn and Woodlawn. The railroad tracks make it so there are limited places to get to the other side but not a huge problem if you don't want to pay. Just find someone who tailgates in the reserved grass lots and stop off for a rest on the way into the stadium.

Everyone should encourage others to get tickets to the Maryland game. It’s gonna be gorgeous football weather. Conference opponent at home with a chance to start 5-0.

We need it to be packed and rockin for all 4 quarters.

If folks are waiting for a CFP bid before shelling out $50, they’re just being silly.
Frankly, despite not being a huge fan of 'IU football fans', I'm confident we'll have a good crowd Saturday. It would be better if it weren't noon, but those are the cards dealt. Now it will be up to the team to perform/win and not shit the bed like we've done so many times before.

FIU and Charlotte were 43-44K tickets sold. MD is at around 47K sold right now with five days to go. Idk I assume they'll sell a 1-2K more.

MD game more people will use their tickets too. I think it will be noticeably improved, but obviously a ways to go before we're a "passable" crowd.

Reactions: midwolfe
Weighing in on attendance and game experience yesterday.

Double IU grad, played some frosh ball. 75ish years old, enough to remember both "rose bowl" games now. ;)
Die hard IU football and basketball (and soccer and volleyball and base/softball) all of which are decent and (if soccer steps up again like I think they will again this season) ... all on the rise.

Live 5 hours away in O$U central (hate 'em).

Bought 2 tickets weeks ahead, $120. Bought parking ahead, and ticket office was less than helpful, have mobility issues, "best available" was in Forest green lot, $35 + another $10. Answer to "Is there handicap drop off?" was "I don't think so." Contacted about seat backs, again less than helpful "must pick them up inside stadium and can't reserve" and "not sure where in the stadium that's at." Hotel $170. And then, the traffic (which is the same for 50+ years) sucks and both city & university incapable/unwilling (or?) to fix it. $450+. And, yes, hotter than hades, with no tailgate to resort to. Great win, but the experience wasn't pretty. Well, pretty embarrassing IMO on the university's part ... have a good team on the field and chaos from start to finish. I don't want to think what three times the attendance will look like!

Love the direction fb is going, but was one of the worst fan/ticket/parking experiences I've seen (and I've seen a lot of Universities/arenas).

Oh, you "don't have to get off my lawn."
That is very disappointing to read. And I do worry about what it will actually be like when we do sell out. They want a packed house, but I don't see them being able to handle it. I feel like forwarding that to my ticket rep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT