ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

Is it expensive? A family of four what would that run for a fam in Indy driving down?
For us:
RV lot to camp all weekend - $150
2 Hall of Champions tickets - like $225

So not “cheap.”

And I write this from inside now because this A/C is nice and it truly feels hotter than the FIU game.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
For us:
RV lot to camp all weekend - $150
2 Hall of Champions tickets - like $225

So not “cheap.”

And I write this from inside now because this A/C is nice and it truly feels hotter than the FIU game.
Going to watch 2 or 3 shitty opponents for the casual fan would add up

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I live in Michigan.

I’ll be at the Nebraska game, the game at Michigan State and the bowl game. Best I can do being a six hour drive from Bloomington.
I’ll be at the Nebraska game also. My whole family except one nephew. Him and his dad will be at the grove(Ol Miss).

Reactions: Kelly_32
For sure.

Like I said earlier, my biggest surprise today was the students not turning out. Because they’ve been at the other two in force (for a half).
Students are lazy and it’s close to 90 degrees today. Plus, the opponent isn’t a challenge.

The opponent, heat and our history is big factor today. I'd bet money next week will be damn near sold out. if the boys win then the rest of the games this year will be as well.
Highly doubt it. Our fans are a compete bunch of pussies and don’t forget there is a big medieval renaissance festival in Dunn Medow along with a mime presentation of The Vagina Chronicles at the Buzz-Chum next week. Zero faith in our fainbase. Worst in the conference. Find me another one with this bad of support and let’s debate.

Clearly the coaches and players have been doing about as much as could be realistically expected of them, but I don’t know if the same is true of the Ath Dept or not. I’m not remotely as familiar with the current AD staff as I was 20-25 years ago, but a quick search on the IUAD website shows (unsurprisingly) numerous people connected with areas like facilities, compliance, academic services and IT, but not much in the way of marketing or promotion. I gather there is an Assoc AD for events and safety, but I have no idea if he’s involved in things like marketing or promotions or not.

Given that, unlike the BB program, the FB program isn’t a national brand that can market itself, perhaps the services of an outside marketing consultant (or, better yet, an assigned in-house employee) would be worth pursuing. Especially at a time when IU is apparently making a concerted effort to recruit more out-of-state students who might well be familiar with the IU basketball program but arrive in Bloomington with no affinity to speak of for its chronically underachieving football program. JMHO.

I don’t enjoy talking about this, but there is a segment of the IU fan base that I have encountered throughout my life that isn’t just apathetic towards the football program but downright hostile towards it. They are basketball only fans who seem to actively want the program to fail and resent it when there is any semblance of success. I’ve never understood it and haven’t ever seen anything quite like it anywhere else.

Clearly the coaches and players have been doing about as much as could be realistically expected of them, but I don’t know if the same is true of the Ath Dept or not. I’m not remotely as familiar with the current AD staff as I was 20-25 years ago, but a quick search on the IUAD website shows (unsurprisingly) numerous people connected with areas like facilities, compliance, academic services and IT, but not much in the way of marketing or promotion. I gather there is an Assoc AD for events and safety, but I have no idea if he’s involved in things like marketing or promotions or not.

Given that, unlike the BB program, the FB program isn’t a national brand that can market itself, perhaps the services of an outside marketing consultant (or, better yet, an assigned in-house employee) would be worth pursuing. Especially at a time when IU is apparently making a concerted effort to recruit more out-of-state students who might well be familiar with the IU basketball program but arrive in Bloomington with no affinity to speak of for its chronically underachieving football program. JMHO.
They have been very active on X. They have a thing called IU ticket project. You can donate tickets and they pick first time families, veterans, disadvantaged families..on and on. The problem isn’t this administration imho. It’s years of past support from the president all the way down. This bunch understands. It’s going to take time.

I don’t enjoy talking about this, but there is a segment of the IU fan base that I have encountered throughout my life that isn’t just apathetic towards the football program but downright hostile towards it. They are basketball only fans who seem to actively want the program to fail and resent it when there is any semblance of success. I’ve never understood it and haven’t ever seen anything quite like it anywhere else.
The basketball fans behave like this too.

Open w Kentucky home and home - Sellout

2nd game Miami(OH) or Ohio 2 for 1 - crowd like today.

3rd game - WVA, Tenn, Ole Miss/Miss State home and home - sellout

Games like today...love the win...but BORING.

Open w Kentucky home and home - Sellout

2nd game Miami(OH) or Ohio 2 for 1 - crowd like today.

3rd game - WVA, Tenn, Ole Miss/Miss State home and home - sellout

Games like today...love the win...but BORING.
No way we see a schedule like that. Stakes are higher with a 12 game playoff. The big 2 will start scheduling accordingly. Especially seeing what a weaker pre-con schedule does to the analytics.

Reactions: 76-1
It was really , really hot. No shade, no air. Bad opponent. I left after the two quick scores in the second half, with a really bad headache, I’m sure brought on by the heat. I think next week should be much better. It’s not changing overnight.

Very strange to like one IU team and dislike another IU team. I wonder if many of these people actually went to IU. I kinda doubt it.

IUBB fans should realize IUFB is vital to the whole athletic dept, including precious basketball.

Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66
How many of you commenting are at the game? How close do you live? It’s going to take time.
I’m a half hour away and a season ticket holder. I haven’t made a game yet.

School soccer games. I’m not missing my children’s games. They’re over beginning of October.

I simply skipped the Western Illinois game. Did my research and saw they were literally the worst FCS team and didn’t go.

For years I heard a better highway was going to help attendance.

Well, it'll be pretty full for Maryland you'd think. Tough game, if we drop it probably there's still a big turnout to Nebraska likely at 5-1.

It was really , really hot. No shade, no air. Bad opponent. I left after the two quick scores in the second half, with a really bad headache, I’m sure brought on by the heat. I think next week should be much better. It’s not changing overnight.
Absolutely no reason to stick around roasting against that team....

But...if it was Ole Miss....

Place would be packed.

Place would be packed.
We don’t have that culture. At the end of the day football has never been important here, and it probably never will.

We don’t have that culture. At the end of the day football has never been important here, and it probably never will.
"THEY" would bring the culture.

20k Ole Miss fans would roll up here to check out Bloomington, and the game would be a shootout (with this team).

Atmosphere would be electric. Fans would stay. It would actually be fun, instead of a 4 hour slog, roasting, as we beat a team by 30+.

Place would be packed.
They’re pretty good, but they have issues too. Lane has complained several times about their fans leaving early, and when their program was struggling a few years back their attendance was not so good.

Last edited:
Lackluster crowd today for sure and yet ALL parking was sold out? I don't understand and would love someone to explain it to me as if I were a child. My lot North of the practice field is also sold out and almost never looks full. How do they make these determinations? Seeing parking prices skyrocket too and as I try to get friends to come down I now have to tell them they might have to pay $60 on Seat Geek for parking for some games which is crazy and will be a deterrent for some.

Reactions: 76-1
If I get free ones I go every time. I’m going to multiple games I’m paying for. Probably make 4-5 hopefully.
So you guys are the experts so I’ll accept F offs. But I live in Stl and we have the battlehawks. Kaw Kaw is the Law they say. A city where the birds are the kings. The blues have diehard fans, and 60,000 people applied for season tix for our new mls team in a stadium that holds 22k. So with all that competition a second division football team averaged 35,000 fans last year in a stadium that is torture to be inside. Just awful. And a city that lost two fball teams. However Season tix start at $18 a game. Family pack $15. You can rent an entire suite for you and your drunk buddies to feel like ballers for just $1,500. And parking is cheap.

Fwiw. Maybe nothing. Maybe apples to oranges

Last edited:
Lackluster crowd today for sure and yet ALL parking was sold out? I don't understand and would love someone to explain it to me as if I were a child. My lot North of the practice field is also sold out and almost never looks full. How do they make these determinations? Seeing parking prices skyrocket too and as I try to get friends to come down I now have to tell them they might have to pay $60 on Seat Geek for parking for some games which is crazy and will be a deterrent for some.
We get parking passes in that NW Lot with the cutouts. I'm assuming it's mid-high level Varsity Club donors that are only interested in basketball, but buy the football package and try and sell it?

It sucks.

Lot is always (at best) 1/3 full. It's kinda lame.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
They have been very active on X. They have a thing called IU ticket project. You can donate tickets and they pick first time families, veterans, disadvantaged families..on and on. The problem isn’t this administration imho. It’s years of past support from the president all the way down. This bunch understands. It’s going to take time.
That’s fine as far as it goes, but in IU’s specific case it may require even more, especially if they’re going to continue scheduling home games vs programs like FIU, WIU and Charlotte. The situation may need some even farther-outside-the-box creativity. I don’t know if it might involve in-town businesses, Greeks and dorms, incentivizing out-of-town attendance somehow, concessions coupons, dancing Bisons, or what it could look like. Maybe Cuban et al have some ideas; perhaps some Kelley marketing faculty would too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT