ADVERTISEMENT

at 50/50 is there a majority leader?

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
if this holds up will McConnell still have the power to stop legislation from even being voted on, I would assume no, but curious how the agenda for the senate will be run under these circumstances.

I know Harris can settle all ties, but what is the process for bring legislation to the floor now is what I'm trying to ask

Good question. If it's a tie, then I can't imagine McConnell being solely in charge.

At worst, it should be 1 GOP and 1 DEM getting equal power. There is no majority leader and minority leader in 50/50.

Good question. If it's a tie, then I can't imagine McConnell being solely in charge.

At worst, it should be 1 GOP and 1 DEM getting equal power. There is no majority leader and minority leader in 50/50.
while there might be 1 Dem 1 Pub the Dem is the de facto majority leader b/c (assuming they can control their caucus) they would always have the tie breaker.

does the VP decide what gets voted on or does everything just get voted on because there is no dick to shove it under the table?

while there might be 1 Dem 1 Pub the Dem is the de facto majority leader b/c (assuming they can control their caucus) they would always have the tie breaker.
they would have the tie breaker I know, the question who decides what's voted on , the turtle has had the power to block supreme court nominations , and any legislation he doesn't like from even being voted on, does he still have that power

they would have the tie breaker I know, the question who decides what's voted on , the turtle has had the power to block supreme court nominations , and any legislation he doesn't like from even being voted on, does he still have that power
Good question. Apparently this has only happened 3 times in history, most recently in 2001. In that instance the parties agreed to a power sharing agreement and even split committee assignments evenly. I don't think our current crop of Senators nor our political climate will allow that to happen. So, based on what's happened previously, if no power sharing agreement is reached the party holding the VP slot would take control of the Senate and elect a majority leader.

is the leader voted on? which I'm sure would end up 50/50 with mitch and Schumer, at that point does harris cast a vote to make Schumer the leader?

could we make hillary the honorary leader just to piss them off? She could have no vote other than just to say whether or not something should get voted on.

Reactions: Bill4411
is the leader voted on? which I'm sure would end up 50/50 with mitch and Schumer, at that point does harris cast a vote to make Schumer the leader?
Based on what I can find, yes. Now, I'm not entirely certain how the voting works for majority leader, but the Pubs could peel off a Senator or two and force someone other than Schumer to be elected. Which wouldn't be horrible actually.

The Dems will control the Senate. They will have the majority and Chairmanship of EVERY Senate Committee. THAT is how McConnell has enforced his agenda for the past 4 yrs, and that is how Schumer will control things now. Manchin can play wildcard on individual votes if he chooses, but he won't be able to block Legislation that Dems want to be brought to the floor for a vote...

Reactions: DrHoops

The Dems will control the Senate. They will have the majority and Chairmanship of EVERY Senate Committee. THAT is how McConnell has enforced his agenda for the past 4 yrs, and that is how Schumer will control things now. Manchin can play wildcard on individual votes if he chooses, but he won't be able to block Legislation that Dems want to be brought to the floor for a vote...

Based on what I can find, yes. Now, I'm not entirely certain how the voting works for majority leader, but the Pubs could peel off a Senator or two and force someone other than Schumer to be elected. Which wouldn't be horrible actually.

There is no new election for Senate roles. Schumer and McConnell have both already been re-elected heads of their respective Senate delegations. Based on the Dems now gaining the majority, the titles of McConnell and Schumer will respectively shift and McConnell goes from being majority leader to being minority leader...

Those Senate caucus elections were held in Nov following Election day. Both McConnell and Schumer were re-elected UNANIMOUSLY...

• "Mitch McConnell and Chuck Schumer were unanimously reelected leaders of the Senate Republican and Democratic caucuses, respectively.
  • It is still unclear which party will have a Senate majority next year, as NBC News has still not called four races in the 2020 election."

Reactions: larsIU
Schumer will be Majority Leader and control the floor. Dems will chair the committees.

I imagine the media circus spotlights will bear down on any RINO or Donkaphant that fails to vote the party line. Will a 50-50 galvanize party voting or break it apart? There is just no way to know. We are about to learn just how important the Senate rules committee is.

Last edited:
I'll add that in 2001, our last 50/50 split...I believe the leaders brokered a deal where they could both move legislation to the floor. I don't know if that will occur again..... but to answer OP's question.... no, McConnell will have no ability to block votes from occurring on bills that Schumer wants to bring up.

There has recently been a lot of issues that would have gotten 60+ votes, but McConnell wouldn't bring them to a vote as it didn't have the majority of the GOP caucus behind it. It'll be an interesting dynamic and is going to actually force people on both sides to take votes on thorny issues..... something Senators are very skilled at usually avoiding.

It only lasted a few months in 2001, before Jeffords jumped ship and made Daschle Majority Leader. I don't really see something along that line occurring.

Reactions: Spartans9312
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT