ADVERTISEMENT

Asssitant Coaches Salaries

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

If you like to wander through big lists of names the link takes you to a recent USA TODAY compilation of assistant coach salaries. Some interesting 'where are they now' items, e.g. the effervescent Mike Ekler is now toiling at North Texas State. Chuck Amato whose first game as head coach at NC State featured Phillip Rivers overcoming a big late lead by a talented team led by ARE. This was a horrendously managed game by Cam. Perhaps a harbinger of things to come and an example of the gulf that exists between coordinator and head coach skill set requirements. Later that day Coach Knight refused to return to Bloomington from a trip and was soon dispatched. But I digress.

My take away came in part from the article that led me to the link. Wisconsin at roughly $2.8M in assistant coach salaries outspent only Purdue, Rutgers, and IU of the B1G schools who released salary information (Northwestern and PSU do not). There are of course exceptions, but assistant salaries are a strong indicator of a program's likely success.

Digressing again, a privilege of advancing years. A few parting opinions. In case you are unaware opinions are like a certain body orafice, everyone has one, most stink.

Fred Glass did Kevin Wilson a favor as he will be very successful at OSU before returning to HC ranks in a few years.
Sheridan will join a list of assistant coaches who have passed through IU on their way to greater success.
2017 will seem long for IU athletics in general, but not so but on the calendar for individual teams.

I was there for 51-6 on a cold and miserable day and the Ross Ade farewell game for Bob Griese and but was there for 19-14 made possible by in part by Terry Cole's weight loss and the forever glorious hit by Ken Kaczmarek on Perry Williams at the IU goal line. This led to a wild night at the Dust drinking, dancing, & listening to the Irresistible Force and a cross country drive to Pasadena for a meeting with OJ and friends.

I think CBS calls it One Shining Moment.

and a cross country drive to Pasadena for a meeting with OJ and friends.
Wait, did the white Bronco chase pass through Pasadena?!

Very cool that you attended the '68 Rose Bowl. I hope you (and the rest of us) get to see IU in another one.

With respect to your discussion of Glass and Wilson, I agree that Wilson will have success at OSU as OC. I believe his days as a Power 5 HC are over, though. Of greater importance (at least to me) is how the move affects Indiana. Of course, only time will tell but I love what Allen brings in terms of character, energy, enthusiasm and smarts.

Reactions: muubell

If you like to wander through big lists of names the link takes you to a recent USA TODAY compilation of assistant coach salaries. Some interesting 'where are they now' items, e.g. the effervescent Mike Ekler is now toiling at North Texas State. Chuck Amato whose first game as head coach at NC State featured Phillip Rivers overcoming a big late lead by a talented team led by ARE. This was a horrendously managed game by Cam. Perhaps a harbinger of things to come and an example of the gulf that exists between coordinator and head coach skill set requirements. Later that day Coach Knight refused to return to Bloomington from a trip and was soon dispatched. But I digress.

My take away came in part from the article that led me to the link. Wisconsin at roughly $2.8M in assistant coach salaries outspent only Purdue, Rutgers, and IU of the B1G schools who released salary information (Northwestern and PSU do not). There are of course exceptions, but assistant salaries are a strong indicator of a program's likely success.

Digressing again, a privilege of advancing years. A few parting opinions. In case you are unaware opinions are like a certain body orafice, everyone has one, most stink.

Fred Glass did Kevin Wilson a favor as he will be very successful at OSU before returning to HC ranks in a few years.
Sheridan will join a list of assistant coaches who have passed through IU on their way to greater success.
2017 will seem long for IU athletics in general, but not so but on the calendar for individual teams.

I was there for 51-6 on a cold and miserable day and the Ross Ade farewell game for Bob Griese and but was there for 19-14 made possible by in part by Terry Cole's weight loss and the forever glorious hit by Ken Kaczmarek on Perry Williams at the IU goal line. This led to a wild night at the Dust drinking, dancing, & listening to the Irresistible Force and a cross country drive to Pasadena for a meeting with OJ and friends.

Wilson will be fine. Tom Allen will be fine. They're both good coaches.

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson

I'd wondered what Ekeler was up to. He's DC at North Texas, so he's progressed some.

Saw this link online, although the video link was dead. I saw him take out a ref on the sideline of the Navy game at Annapolis. Lucky he didn't get a flag on that. Somehow he struck me as more cocky than genuine, which is my takeaway from Allen (genuine). I could be wrong on that, having never met either personally.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/georgia-coach-ekeler-smacks-player

I'd wondered what Ekeler was up to. He's DC at North Texas, so he's progressed some.

Saw this link online, although the video link was dead. I saw him take out a ref on the sideline of the Navy game at Annapolis. Lucky he didn't get a flag on that. Somehow he struck me as more cocky than genuine, which is my takeaway from Allen (genuine). I could be wrong on that, having never met either personally.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/georgia-coach-ekeler-smacks-player
Coach 'Ek' was a real psycho. He was all show and no go. He was one of the first to jump ship, so good riddance.

Reactions: JCHoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT