ADVERTISEMENT

Are we really going to be dead last in the B1G this year again?

If it ends up that way the main culprit is going to be a guy whose name starts with an H and ends with an R.
I sure hope my apprehension is proven wrong starting in 2 weeks.

Reactions: vesuvius13
CBS Sports, along with other publications, has us as the worst of the 14 this year. If so Allen is a dead man walking and once again this program will have ZERO hope for the future
That's the worst preseason call I've heard yet...

Feeds right into the ongoing mantra the "live to whine" portion of our fanbase (and I use the term very loosely as far as "fanbase" goes) who live for validation of their continued "we wallow in the depths of despair" approach to "supporting the program" while they purposely undermine it at every opportunity...

Last edited:
CBS Sports, along with other publications, has us as the worst of the 14 this year. If so Allen is a dead man walking and once again this program will have ZERO hope for the future
First of all, we were last last year, so of course they picked us last this year. Not sure why that’s a surprise.

Second, who the hell knows how we will actually do? Why get upset about it before the season even starts? We were picked 2nd last year and we all know how that turned out. I cannot fathom why anyone would truly base anything on preseason rankings.

Feel better now... That's the worst preseason call I've heard yet...

Feeds right into the ongoing mantra the "live to whine" portion of our fanbase (and I use the term very loosely as far as "fanbase" goes) who lives for who need validation for their continued "we wallow in the depths of despair" approach to "supporting the program" while they purposely undermine it at every opportunity...
Sorry I didn’t clarify. I don’t subscribe to the belief that we’ll be thus bad But IF the “experts” are correct…. Uggghhh

The season will be almost half over and a lot of pundits will still be getting the rankings completely wrong.

This is just idle conversation to pass the time until the season finally begins. Nothing more. Nothing less. This website is a pleasant distraction from all the very real and important issues in our lives that everyday looks like a s*** sandwich.

I have always appreciated the diversity of views as long as they have been genuine.

If you look at the capabilities of our players, the answer is no. We have some players that are at the top level in the B1G - Mullen, Williams, Matthews, from a talent perspective - Shivers, Lucas, Camper, Barner, QB, Head, our LBs, and some of the freshmen have the ability to be pushing for B1G recognition.

Based on last season I would think IU has a long way to go but looking at players I see. we can do much better if our coaches do a much better job than last season coaches did. Coaching makes a big difference; I hope our coaching staff does so this season.

Talent wise, we are nowhere near the bottom, in fact we are in the upper half(based on rankings coming out of HS)!
The very much improved coaching staff needs to use this talent to their fullest.
it appears that the returning players and new additions have an entirely different attitude and work ethic than last years squad. Their improved conditioning should help.

Talent wise, we are nowhere near the bottom, in fact we are in the upper half(based on rankings coming out of HS)!
The very much improved coaching staff needs to use this talent to their fullest.
it appears that the returning players and new additions have an entirely different attitude and work ethic than last years squad. Their improved conditioning should help.
Upper half talent wise? That’s a serious stretch. I think we have some guys who can play, but there are probably at least five BiG East and four BiG West teams with more “talented” rosters than ours.

First of all, we were last last year, so of course they picked us last this year. Not sure why that’s a surprise.

Second, who the hell knows how we will actually do? Why get upset about it before the season even starts? We were picked 2nd last year and we all know how that turned out. I cannot fathom why anyone would truly base anything on preseason rankings.
Right. These writiers are not going to spend 30 seconds looking at teams out side of the top half of any conf and then just leave teams where they were unless there is an obvious change. They would have little to go on with IU given the iron curtain around info. Clearly the talent is up based on recruiting data but too many new coaches and schemes to know much at this point. The schedule is brutal so that is not in our favor either.

...and as you say...why get panties in a wad about what disconnected sprtswriters think at this point.

Feel better now... That's the worst preseason call I've heard yet...

Feeds right into the ongoing mantra the "live to whine" portion of our fanbase (and I use the term very loosely as far as "fanbase" goes) who lives for validation of their continued "we wallow in the depths of despair" approach to "supporting the program" while they purposely undermine it at every opportunity...
What was the song from the Boilermaker/Hee Haw show?

"Doom Despair, and Agony on me"

Talent wise.in my opinion we have more than or equal to Northwestern Nebraska,Illinois,PUke,
Minny,Nebraska,Maryland and Rutgers.
Unfortunately more talent doesn’t always translate in to more wins.
Other than Maryland, each of those teams beat us badly last year. I think one of the realities of last season is that we didn’t have the roster many believed we did. There are a couple of portal guys who will help us, but they each in the portal for a reason, too. Part of building a winning program and getting better is being honest about where we are, rather than wishful.

Other than Maryland, each of those teams beat us badly last year. I think one of the realities of last season is that we didn’t have the roster many believed we did. There are a couple of portal guys who will help us, but they each in the portal for a reason, too. Part of building a winning program and getting better is being honest about where we are, rather than wishful.
Jack, unfortunately injuries make a huge difference in how the less talented teams can play - IU had 32 significant injuries per the BTN preseason review of IU's program. Last season was a true aberration on defense of what Allen has consistently delivered during his time at IU as both DC and HC. The offense was also much, much worse than it has been over the last five years. Improvement will be seen, just how much. IU will surprise this season.

At this point I have no idea how our season will go but the home opener, against a probably fairly mediocre conference opponent, should give us an early indication as to how the season will go.
I realize teams can adjust and improve after an early season loss but I think it is imperative that this teams beats Illinois as they are “on paper” one of the more winnable BT games, it is a home game and the team could probably use a shot of confidence after last years debacle.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
Jack, unfortunately injuries make a huge difference in how the less talented teams can play - IU had 32 significant injuries per the BTN preseason review of IU's program. Last season was a true aberration on defense of what Allen has consistently delivered during his time at IU as both DC and HC. The offense was also much, much worse than it has been over the last five years. Improvement will be seen, just how much. IU will surprise this season.
I’m well aware of the injuries and the other excuses for losing, but we weren’t ready to play from the opening kickoff. We literally got run over from the start, and it didn’t end until we got run out of Ross Ade. That wasn’t just an injury situation any more than the fact that the team quit on more than a few occasions. Again, I understand the excuses but, until we expect more, we’ll never build a winning program and will instead have exactly the program we both demand and deserve.

Go Hoosiers.

Last edited:
At this point I have no idea how our season will go but the home opener, against a probably fairly mediocre conference opponent, should give us an early indication as to how the season will go.
I realize teams can adjust and improve after an early season loss but I think it is imperative that this teams beats Illinois as they are “on paper” one of the more winnable BT games, it is a home game and the team could probably use a shot of confidence after last years debacle.
A reminder that Illinois beat Nebraska, Penn State and Minnesota last year. I am not so sure they are the pushover you seem to think they are. It will be a very difficult game and IU will be fortunate if they are able to pull out a win.

IU will have to play better, our transfer/freshmen players have to show they can be difference makers for this team. This is likely to be a tough game and IU needs to be ready for getting after it to win a game.

A reminder that Illinois beat Nebraska, Penn State and Minnesota last year. I am not so sure they are the pushover you seem to think they are. It will be a very difficult game and IU will be fortunate if they are able to pull out a win.
Actually I don’t think Illinois, or any BT opponent on our schedule, is a pushover. Literally none of them.
I do think, however, that Illinois at home is more winnable “on paper” than most of our other BT games against OSU, PSU, MSU, UM etc and that the home opener will indeed be a barometer as to how our season is going to go. We really need to beat them.

From the timelines both MP and Tuttle were hurt and not available the season was doom.
Injuries to key personnel were a significant issue for IU particularly given our depth. That is not an excuseas our rivals might say but a cold hard fact.
That said, IU was also a fragile team last year as evidenced by the collapse following a spectacularly bad targeting call that banished the team leader from the Cincy game. That fragility never left the room and IMO was a coaching issue.
A very new team has the opportunity to change both of those things this year

Talent wise.in my opinion we have more than or equal to Northwestern Nebraska,Illinois,PUke,
Minny,Nebraska,Maryland and Rutgers.
Unfortunately more talent doesn’t always translate in to more wins.
Talent is the first step in building success. The next is developing it and getting that talent experience on the field. Somehow IU hasn't developed the talent to the level it needs for the program to be consistently successful.

Reactions: CC Mac
Talent is the first step in building success. The next is developing it and getting that talent experience on the field. Somehow IU hasn't developed the talent to the level it needs for the program to be consistently successful.
A lot of that talent was developed enough to perform. The bigger issue for IU has been keeping enough of that talent on the field.

Depth is an issue with programs like IU, Ill, PU, MD, Rutger etc, they all have a number of talented players.

A lot of that talent was developed enough to perform. The bigger issue for IU has been keeping enough of that talent on the field.

Depth is an issue with programs like IU, Ill, PU, MD, Rutger etc, they all have a number of talented players.
The program you've listed is one or two injuries away from the season falling apart. Yeah, depth is the issue.

The program you've listed is one or two injuries away from the season falling apart. Yeah, depth is the issue.

In Year Five of Coach Allen’s tenure, the depth simply wasn’t good enough, period. Injuries hurt, but the lack of depth is a recruiting and development issue, and it’s not a valid excuse if you’re trying to build a winning program. But we weren’t right from the start of the season in spite of internally generated hype that we were good enough to compete with and beat anyone on the Big Ten. A lack of depth didn’t have us down 14-0 five minutes into the Iowa game.

In Year Five of Coach Allen’s tenure, the depth simply wasn’t good enough, period. Injuries hurt, but the lack of depth is a recruiting and development issue, and it’s not a valid excuse if you’re trying to build a winning program. But we weren’t right from the start of the season in spite of internally generated hype that we were good enough to compete with and beat anyone on the Big Ten. A lack of depth didn’t have us down 14-0 five minutes into the Iowa game.
but depth killed us when our best player got a shit targeting call against Cincy. Overall I 100% agree with you... We were all hype, no substance last year.

but depth killed us when our best player got a shit targeting call against Cincy. Overall I 100% agree with you... We were all hype, no substance last year.
Not totally the teams fault though. Much if that hype came from writers, networks, fans and other outside sources. The previous season and off season IU and TA were darlings everywhere outside of WL and they didn’t…couldn’t live up to it, particularly when so much of what won in 2020 was switched out.

Not totally the teams fault though. Much if that hype came from writers, networks, fans and other outside sources. The previous season and off season IU and TA were darlings everywhere outside of WL and they didn’t…couldn’t live up to it, particularly when so much of what won in 2020 was switched out.
I'll stand by the fact we need to block Memorial Stadium of all fans... it seems to work for IUFB

Reactions: Orbit7958
Injuries to key personnel were a significant issue for IU particularly given our depth. That is not an excuseas our rivals might say but a cold hard fact.
That said, IU was also a fragile team last year as evidenced by the collapse following a spectacularly bad targeting call that banished the team leader from the Cincy game. That fragility never left the room and IMO was a coaching issue.
A very new team has the opportunity to change both of those things this year
Injuries hurt, the Cincy targeting call was bad but being behind Iowa 31-3 at the half, in our much hyped road opener, sure didn’t help set the tone for the season.
As you stated, however, this is a new team with new coaches/philosophies/schemes and I’m looking forward to see if things will change for the better. Hope we take down the Illini.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT