ADVERTISEMENT

Are we finally done with the mental gymnastics.

This team never once passed the eye test. At no point during the season did you see a team that was actually …. good. Had moments. But nothing sustained.
We had A LOT of stretches within games where we looked really good.

I’ve never seen a team that was as consistent at unraveling late in games as this one though.

The sucky thing is mental gymnastics is exactly what this team has put everyone through.

Reactions: IUgradman
This team never once passed the eye test. At no point during the season did you see a team that was actually …. good. Had moments. But nothing sustained.
Yes. Frustrating because IU can never get a group that cares enough to win the easy ones. Penn State, Ohio State, Northwestern.

Just a goofy mix of players.

Reactions: BigMobe
Yep.
I head some of my IU friends say ..We're better..
I said ...You couldn't slip a piece of paper between last yrs team. And this one..
The new player's we brought in we less stealer than expected..
And the in game coaching wasn't any better..

I was nearly run off the board by the Pollyanna crowd after calling out Minnesota for what it was - a disgrace

This is definitely a weird team, and the team has certainly had its opportunities. Seasons can come down to a few possessions or even one possession. Things tend to work out pretty well when you have a Yogi Ferrell, Oladipo, and a Calbert Cheaney. This team's biggest shortcoming is a lack of a playmaking guard or wing. Lander and Bates needed to be better than what they were for this team to be better. Rob or X are the closest things IU has to a playmaker. Other teams had a playmaker, IU didn't.

I think this team was good enough to get to the NCAA's. Beat friggin' Penn St., Northwestern, and a couple of the close ones.

Reactions: kkott
This is definitely a weird team, and the team has certainly had its opportunities. Seasons can come down to a few possessions or even one possession. Things tend to work out pretty well when you have a Yogi Ferrell, Oladipo, and a Calbert Cheaney. This team's biggest shortcoming is a lack of a playmaking guard or wing. Lander and Bates needed to be better than what they were for this team to be better. Rob or X are the closest things IU has to a playmaker. Other teams had a playmaker, IU didn't.

I think this team was good enough to get to the NCAA's.

I agree that there are no playmakers.

I would also argue that the team has zero mental and physical toughness.

I think this team was good enough to get to the NCAA's.
At the start of last season, when whispers that Lander probably wasn’t gonna be competitive…I made a post that basically said that if Lander wasn’t able to overtake Rob and Al as the PG, it was a really bad sign for our program.

Another season later…watching our guards miss shots, fail to contain guys defensively late in games, and overall just not be able to close yet another game we should have won…and seeing two 5 star kids out of the corners of our eye, sitting on the bench, not even being considered for play in crunch time… it is weird, and in a nutshell, it’s why we’re mediocre.

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT