ADVERTISEMENT

Are we back or not?!? How the hell does IU lose to Penn State in hoops…

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
We are Indiana for gods sake. How in the hell does this team lose to Penn State in basketball? Blue bloods don’t lose games like this. Duke doesn’t lose games like this. Kansas doesn’t lose games like this.

Now we have to watch a Purdue team picked to finish at the bottom of the league win another trophy while our best team in a decade won’t win a damn thing. 4/5 seed on its way and committee will probably throw us in Orlando and then the Kansas regional.

Just so sick of watching IU basketball shit the bed in March. I’m almost 40 and haven’t seen us win a damn thing. Ever!

Heading back to the beach bar… but taking off the striped swim suit first. Embarrassing today. And what the hell do we have to look forward to next year?

We are Indiana for gods sake. How in the hell does this team lose to Penn State in basketball? Blue bloods don’t lose games like this. Duke doesn’t lose games like this. Kansas doesn’t lose games like this.

Now we have to watch a Purdue team picked to finish at the bottom of the league win another trophy while our best team in a decade won’t win a damn thing. 4/5 seed on its way and committee will probably throw us in Orlando and then the Kansas regional.

Just so sick of watching IU basketball shit the bed in March. I’m almost 40 and haven’t seen us win a damn thing. Ever!

Heading back to the beach bar… but taking off the striped swim suit first. Embarrassing today. And what the hell do we have to look forward to next year?
Uh, Kentucky lost to Vandy. UNC went down. Big10 middle of pack was just that-packed with decent teams that can win on any given game. IU is inconsisent or nonexistent in shooters from beyond the arc.

Because they are a better team?

They’ve won 8 of 9 and had already beaten Illinois and Northwestern in the tournament before playing IU. It’s not like they are bad.
Agree with this and nobody cares we were a blue blood. These kids weren't close to being born when we were a blue blood.

It's ok to be pissed we lost, but I'm not sure why you think our names on the jersey matter anymore.

Inconsistant all you need to say about ths team. No one to rely on for outside shooting. TRACE goes against 3 defenders and turns it over. Hey bud, That means 2 player s are open...PASS IT! On second thought , Go ahead and shoot..it will be a turn over anyway. PATHETIC gaurd play. Jalen, sorry is not NBA material, yet. His passing is misserable. Out of bounds plays are terrible. Who the hell draws them up? They need replaced!. No screens on the press! The press should be the easiest way to score, but the have NO CLUE about press breaking. It really isn't that hard to figure out. As a coach, I loved when teams pressed, we scored a lot of easy shots. Everyone stands on the perimeter and never slides to a passing lane, rather, they stand and hide behind a defender not making themselves available. The team is either very weak minded or they have very little heart. No mental toughness...they just melt. I can't watch them anymore. They don't deserve my time.

Reactions: demunn

Guess you're to young..
Championship trophies 🏆.
F.F. appearances
It's been great...
Hell if you're a Purdue fan .. IU 's last F.F. appearance is 22 yrs fresher ..

Just watched Kentucky get punked by Vanderbilt twice in a week, North Carolina go from #1 to no tourney, and Duke finish mid-pack of a horrific ACC.

A lot, if I never have to see Race or Kopp in an IU uniform again
Inconsistant all you need to say about ths team. No one to rely on for outside shooting. TRACE goes against 3 defenders and turns it over. Hey bud, That means 2 player s are open...PASS IT! On second thought , Go ahead and shoot..it will be a turn over anyway. PATHETIC gaurd play. Jalen, sorry is not NBA material, yet. His passing is misserable. Out of bounds plays are terrible. Who the hell draws them up? They need replaced!. No screens on the press! The press should be the easiest way to score, but the have NO CLUE about press breaking. It really isn't that hard to figure out. As a coach, I loved when teams pressed, we scored a lot of easy shots. Everyone stands on the perimeter and never slides to a passing lane, rather, they stand and hide behind a defender not making themselves available. The team is either very weak minded or they have very little heart. No mental toughness...they just melt. I can't watch them anymore. They don't deserve my time.
I agree with much of this, I think the problem is the mentality of players we have and it will get better when all things related to Archie are gone and hopefully summarily replacing all asst coaches in the off season. This is one and out in the tourney. I feel like my time would be better spent getting ready for cutting the grass

In IU's defense, PSU is coached by Micah Shrewsbury. He was a damned good defensive coach in the pro's. There is nothing that Woody can draw up that Shrew hasn't seen before. No magic plays. Shrews also knows how to level the court when the other guys (IU in this case) have superior talent. It came down to execution and it was just PSU's day.

Reactions: IUgradman
In IU's defense, PSU is coached by Micah Shrewsbury. He was a damned good defensive coach in the pro's. There is nothing that Woody can draw up that Shrew hasn't seen before. No magic plays. Shrews also knows how to level the court when the other guys (IU in this case) have superior talent. It came down to execution and it was just PSU's day.
Must have learned his press break from Painter.

Guess you're to young..
Championship trophies 🏆.
F.F. appearances
It's been great...
Hell if you're a Purdue fan .. IU 's last F.F. appearance is 22 yrs fresher ..

Not sure what you’re trying to say. At 39 I remember very few championships. The Davis run was great, but I was bussing tables and still learning how to drive. We’ve basically won diddly since.

PSU was shit this year defensively. Go back to GBI methboy

I would not assume that Purdue is going to walk over Penn State.

You just said “blue-bloods don’t lose those types of games”??

Yea, to many cocktails but the point remains. We aren’t on the same page as the elite programs. This was our year to get back in the conversation as a legit blue blood. Best team in a decade and they won’t have one trophy when it’s all said and done.

Reactions: Zeester
Yea, too many cocktails but the point remains. We aren’t on the same page as the elite programs. This was our year to get back in the conversation as a legit blue blood. Best team in a decade and they won’t have one trophy when it’s all said and done.
Are you under the impression that beating Penn State and potentially winning the BTT returns IU to blue blood status? Hope you’re at least drinking something worthwhile.

Woodson was a far superior defensive coach in the NBA.

Yea, to many cocktails but the point remains. We aren’t on the same page as the elite programs. This was our year to get back in the conversation as a legit blue blood. Best team in a decade and they won’t have one trophy when it’s all said and done.
Not really, we are basically JHS away from the same damn team that got bitch slapped by the nuns last year, what did you expect? Lots of changes needed

Jimmies and Joes.. IU just can’t get the top recruits anymore. It’s disheartening to see how good OSU’s freshmen are and that Holtmann has another top class next year. Meanwhile, we have two guards coming in who are good, but no game changers, for 2023. That’s not going to help you build a winning program when you’re about to lose your two best players. Nobody wants to come to IU like they used to.

Jimmies and Joes.. IU just can’t get the top recruits anymore. It’s disheartening to see how good OSU’s freshmen are and that Holtmann has another top class next year. Meanwhile, we have two guards coming in who are good, but no game changers, for 2023. That’s not going to help you build a winning program when you’re about to lose your two best players. Nobody wants to come to IU like they used to.
Next year will be bad. Hope for an NIT bid.

Are we talking about the same OSU team that had a losing record this year? And if I’m mistaken, didn’t an IU player win freshman of the year?

God damn the overreactions to losses bring out the absolute worst in people.

It is important to remember that this team was 12-15 two years ago and is now looking at a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament.
Good point, but I’m more concerned about our inability to reload the talent. Our ‘23 class is woefully undermanned with just 2 3-4 star guards.

Are you under the impression that beating Penn State and potentially winning the BTT returns IU to blue blood status? Hope you’re at least drinking something worthwhile.

Beating Penn State is at least a step in getting there. We lost to them twice this year! This isn’t football or wrestling.

This team is what it is at this point. Not a great roster, very top heavy with 2 guys that pretty much fuel everything. If either have even a smidge of an off game (like JHS did today) IU is vulnerable. Supporting cast just isn’t that good, and very inconsistent at that. Truthfully, Race and Galloway probably come off the bench for most top 20 teams in college basketball and serve as role players. Kopp is a shooter who seemingly is scared to shoot a lot of the time. With good matchups this team could probably reach the Sweet 16, with a bad matchup we will be done Thursday or Friday.

With regard to next season, Woodson is going to have to remake this roster with the transfer portal. X hopefully being back is a great piece to build around. Tamar is seemingly coming on a little here late, and Malik will continue to get better. But probably need to find at least 2 starters in the portal.

Last edited:
Good point, but I’m more concerned about our inability to reload the talent. Our ‘23 class is woefully undermanned with just 2 3-4 star guards.
Why is everybody so fixated on next year while this year isn’t even over? Does nobody understand that teams can virtually reload year to year via the portal? Anybody who thinks the only two players IU is adding to the roster next year are the two freshman just need to log off for the night.

Reactions: 82hoosier
This team is what it is at this point. Not a great roster, very top heavy with 2 guys that pretty much fuel everything. If either have even a smidge of an off game (like JHS did today) IU is vulnerable. Supporting cast just isn’t that good, and very inconsistent at that. Truthfully, Race and Galloway probably come off the bench for most top 20 teams in college basketball and serve as roll players. Kopp is a shooter who seemingly is scared to shoot a lot of the time. With good matchups this team could probably reach the Sweet 16, with a bad matchup we will be done Thursday or Friday.

With regard to next season, Woodson is going to have to remake this roster with the transfer portal. X hopefully being back is a great piece to build around. Tamar is seemingly coming on a little here late, and Malik will continue to get better. But probably need to find at least 2 starters in the portal.
Galloway will be fine as a starter and I actually like Banks as a sleeper starter at the 4 next year!

Next year will be bad. Hope for an NIT bid.
I think it will be better and probably more enjoyable to watch because we won't be playing predictably as always, a lot needs to change though, maybe like replacing the entire asst coaching staff that doesn't seem to be able to coach or recruit

Beating Penn State is at least a step in getting there. We lost to them twice this year! This isn’t football or wrestling.
It is important to remember that this team was 12-15 two years ago and is now looking at a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament.
Good point. It’s much nicer going into tomorrow knowing IU is in the tournament, and a decent seed to boot.

Not really, we are basically JHS away from the same damn team that got bitch slapped by the nuns last year, what did you expect? Lots of changes needed
Imagine this year's team if TJD hadn't gotten Covid last spring. He said he was ready to leave for the NBA until he tested (+) before their league's combine testing.

Good point. It’s much nicer going into tomorrow knowing IU is in the tournament, and a decent seed to boot.

What are your expectations for Woody? Is a 5 seed good enough? He’s not going to be better than that next year. So cut ties now? Is this the best we’ll be with him running the show?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT