ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any Purdue recruits that Allen should be targeting?

The national pundits weren't praising the Hazell hire like they are with Brohm. Hazell wasn't being pursued by other schools. Not comparable at all.
The hell they weren't, "Haz" was MAC coach of the year and was linked to other openings including Cal.

I just don't see Purdue as an attractive place for an 18 year old kid to spend the next 4 years of his life. Places with beautiful scenery, Bloomington and other Big Ten stops, shoukd have little concern with Purdue taking their recruits.

I honestly don't know how places like Minnesota and Purdue recruit. I'm being dead serious. I'm from the Louisville area and it's mindboggling. I'm predicting right now that Tom Allen dominates in state recruiting while Brohm is at Purdue. If the Indiana high school coaches love TA like we hear, Brohm has a big hill to climb. I think he'll regret Purdue.

You act like IU hasn't been dominating in-state recruiting recently. Hazell did next to nothing in-state the last 4 years so it can only get better from Purdue's side. Hazell didn't do anything at all with in-state recruiting. It doesn't matter if you don't see it as an attractive place because you're not a high school kid. You're from Louisville right? Expect Brohm to be a significant presence there in recruiting as his ties to the area are extensive.

The hell they weren't, "Haz" was MAC coach of the year and was linked to other openings including Cal.

He did that on one fluky year at Kent State. The overall consensus is significantly better with Brohm than it was for Hazell. He had no real identity as a coach like Brohm does.

while I am sure PU will get better over time, it won't be in the next couple of years so why not join a group that is well ahead on the curve? Maybe a kid was not thrilled about KW?

Are there any in state kids that IU would want to offer a better experience?

No... just no. Not in the least. Did I say No? If I didn't, I should have. No. Not one recruit. Honestly, though, I know your question was rhetorical.

And have had those opportunities in the past, which must mean they are pretty good. If a couple leave so be it, I'd still rather be in Allen's shoes with his roster, his staff and his commits, as opposed to a bad roster , no staff, and getting a late start on recruiting.
Brohm may have have a late start in recruiting,but Purdues current verbals consist of 10 three stars and four two star recruits,for an average of 2.7 per player.IUS current commits are ten three star players and five two stars with an average of 2.66 stars.Read what you wish into that.Darrell was a historically bad coach,not only for Purdue,but in Big Ten history.One third of Kevin Wilsons league wins were against teams assembled and mostly coached by DH.We may never see a coach again as bad as he was.

One third of Kevin Wilsons league wins were against teams assembled and mostly coached by DH.
That's an interesting stat. Four of IU's last 12 conference wins have been against Purdue. My impression was that IU was much more competitive in league play, but I was wrong. They have been a doormat just like Purdue and Illinois.

He did that on one fluky year at Kent State. The overall consensus is significantly better with Brohm than it was for Hazell. He had no real identity as a coach like Brohm does.
Yes, Brohm has that "extensive" 3 year stint as a HC, it's great you guys are happy, but again, why are you here ?? No one cares.

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
That's an interesting stat. Four of IU's last 12 conference wins have been against Purdue. My impression was that IU was much more competitive in league play, but I was wrong. They have been a doormat just like Purdue and Illinois.
Well, we haven't played Illinois and we beat you now 4 in a row, so lumping us together is laughable. If you really think we are a doormat ask OSU, UM, Nebsaka, PSU and MSU what they think .

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Brohm may have have a late start in recruiting,but Purdues current verbals consist of 10 three stars and four two star recruits,for an average of 2.7 per player.IUS current commits are ten three star players and five two stars with an average of 2.66 stars.Read what you wish into that.Darrell was a historically bad coach,not only for Purdue,but in Big Ten history.One third of Kevin Wilsons league wins were against teams assembled and mostly coached by DH.We may never see a coach again as bad as he was.
Care to look at what really matters ? Let's take a look at other offers that those commits have instead of some star assignment by people who have likely never seen the kid play. Tell you what, you keep what you have and we'll keep what we have, and let's go from there.

While from a stars standpoint, IU and Purdue's classes are similar. However, every IU commit has at least 1 other offer from a P5 team, and all but 3 have 2 or more. Whereas only about half of Purdue's class has an offer from another P5 team.

Reactions: 10yrProject
You never know with new coaches. He could come in and find out he can't compete at this level. Just like Hazell and Hope. He also could be the next Urban Meyer. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yes, Brohm has that "extensive" 3 year stint as a HC, it's great you guys are happy, but again, why are you here ?? No one cares.

No one cares? Didn't the IU poster start this Purdue-related thread? Clearly you care.

3 years of at least 9 wins for Brohm versus one good year for Hazell is definitely a legit difference.

No one cares? Didn't the IU poster start this Purdue-related thread? Clearly you care.

3 years of at least 9 wins for Brohm versus one good year for Hazell is definitely a legit difference.
I could care less, I'm just tired of you on OUR board. Again, I'm sure we are all happy for you, now move along,and go tell your Boilee brethren how great your hire was. I think it's a solid fine, nothing more.

Well, we haven't played Illinois and we beat you now 4 in a row, so lumping us together is laughable. If you really think we are a doormat ask OSU, UM, Nebsaka, PSU and MSU what they think .
Much like your analysis of Purdue relative to IU, I imagine OSU would crow about its 22 game winning streak over IU; Michigan would point to its 21 game winning streak; Nebraska would rely on its 5 game winning streak; PSU would mention taking 19 of 20 from IU; and MSU would say taking 16 of the last 20 from IU makes them a doormat.

You act like IU hasn't been dominating in-state recruiting recently. Hazell did next to nothing in-state the last 4 years so it can only get better from Purdue's side. Hazell didn't do anything at all with in-state recruiting. It doesn't matter if you don't see it as an attractive place because you're not a high school kid. You're from Louisville right? Expect Brohm to be a significant presence there in recruiting as his ties to the area are extensive.
Except for this current year, Indiana hasn't dominated Indiana either. It has been the big boys taking the top kids they want and leaving the rest for everyone else. Primarily Ball State, it appears.
Whether you dominate "in-state" recruiting in Indiana, is not a big deal. Louisville area as well, they've only got a handful of kids, maybe 6-7 that can play at this level, so no big deal. Again, those dominant kids could go to Louisville, but they could head to OSU easily.
The best kids will always get poached by Ohio State, Michigan, ND, Clemson, etc. but on top of that, there are single schools in Florida that have higher and better rated players than the ENTIRE state of Indiana. One school, has 3 5-stars, 10 4-stars, 7 3-stars and 2 2-stars on the roster this year. Sure, it's a football factory, but that is more than the whole state of Indiana, except for a couple of the 3's and then Indiana has more of 2's. But that is compared to just one school.
Central Florida where I live currently has approximately 50 4-star kids, I couldn't tell you how many for the whole state. Indiana has 2 4-star kids (by Rivals) right now total in the state. IU is on a couple of the 2-star kids down here. So dominating Indiana, while nice, doesn't matter much in the grand scheme.
So, is it nice to pick up the good Indiana kids, but the fortunes of Indiana teams will get built with kids from somewhere else.

Much like your analysis of Purdue relative to IU, I imagine OSU would crow about its 22 game winning streak over IU; Michigan would point to its 21 game winning streak; Nebraska would rely on its 5 game winning streak; PSU would mention taking 19 of 20 from IU; and MSU would say taking 16 of the last 20 from IU makes them a doormat.
Well, people that count like Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Mark Dantonio have said otherwise, I'll take their opinions over some PU fan any day. You'll get no argument that in the past we have been, but the last 3 years we have been highly competitive. We do need to start to win some of those games to take the next step, but doormat, I think not. We'll leave that to your futile bunch .

Well, people that count like Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Mark Dantonio have said otherwise, I'll take their opinions over some PU fan any day. You'll get no argument that in the past we have been, but the last 3 years we have been highly competitive. We do need to start to win some of those games to take the next step, but doormat, I think not. We'll leave that to your futile bunch .
You're funny.

Reactions: beardownboiler
Nope, just think you should go home and worry about trying not to lose 5 in a row to us.
America-what-me-worry-alfred_e_neuman.jpg

Reactions: boiledmeconium
This year, WKU was 37th in total defense so I'd argue that he hasn't shown an ability to put a good defense together.

IU was below them at 41. So are you saying the same about Allen or are you counting his recent gig at Ben Davis?

I just don't see Purdue as an attractive place for an 18 year old kid to spend the next 4 years of his life. Places with beautiful scenery, Bloomington and other Big Ten stops, shoukd have little concern with Purdue taking their recruits.

I honestly don't know how places like Minnesota and Purdue recruit. I'm being dead serious. I'm from the Louisville area and it's mindboggling. I'm predicting right now that Tom Allen dominates in state recruiting while Brohm is at Purdue. If the Indiana high school coaches love TA like we hear, Brohm has a big hill to climb. I think he'll regret Purdue.

Really? Louisville is a cesspool.

Nope, just think you should go home and worry about trying not to lose 5 in a row to us.

IU has demonstrated they play up or down based upon the competition. IU will certainly win a fifth in a row but like the last two...look like shit doing it.

IU was below them at 41. So are you saying the same about Allen or are you counting his recent gig at Ben Davis?

Allen is clearly an impressive defensive mind. The question now turns to how things will go on offense without Wilson.

I'd be more worried about keeping any good recruits you have with Purdue getting Brohm now...

Lol. Not anytime soon. Brohm may do well eventually but right now your roster sucks, your attendance is non existent, your facilities suck, your tailgating sucks, your campus sucks, your support sucks, your exposure sucks, hell, you goat ropers can't even grow grass.

Lol. Not anytime soon. Brohm may do well eventually but right now your roster sucks, your attendance is non existent, your facilities suck, your tailgating sucks, your campus sucks, your support sucks, your exposure sucks, hell, you goat ropers can't even grow grass.
Says the guy whose team had a drunk abuser as a head coach. Of course, abusive coaches are tolerated at IU.

Even with all of the things you mentioned, we can only improve from here. Facilities are improving by the day, attendance will be better this year as countless people are already on board for tickets ever since Brohm was announced, we've proven we can support our team (see the Tiller years) better than you. How sad it is that when you guys were playing for a bowl game berth, Memorial Stadium was so empty? Spare me the students being off campus excuse. When Purdue was rolling the bucket game attendance at Ross-Ade was always impressive. We can only improve from here.

Even with all of the things you mentioned, we can only improve from here. Facilities are improving by the day, attendance will be better this year as countless people are already on board for tickets ever since Brohm was announced, we've proven we can support our team (see the Tiller years) better than you. How sad it is that when you guys were playing for a bowl game berth, Memorial Stadium was so empty? Spare me the students being off campus excuse. When Purdue was rolling the bucket game attendance at Ross-Ade was always impressive. We can only improve from here.

The bucket game being on Thanksgiving seems to have hurt attendance equally for both programs.

The I-69 construction project mess has definitely hurt attendance. Remember the casual fans in Indy who might drive down for an IU game are generally people used to going to Colts games in Indianapolis where you can quickly get out of traffic once you get out of the parking lot (unless you live in the NE side of Indy).

In the long-term, that will greatly help IU's attendance once it is all done.

The bucket game being on Thanksgiving seems to have hurt attendance equally for both programs.

The I-69 construction project mess has definitely hurt attendance. Remember the casual fans in Indy who might drive down for an IU game are generally people used to going to Colts games in Indianapolis where you can quickly get out of traffic once you get out of the parking lot (unless you live in the NE side of Indy).

In the long-term, that will greatly help IU's attendance once it is all done.

All fair points.

Students were not there...sorry that matters. Also IU fans have generally traveled to R-a better that the reverse. Given the date, the students, the construction and very few Boilies on hand the attendance was not as bad as you claim.

As for the rest...relax. Of course it will get better.

This was an IU recruiting thread until you guys made it otherwise.

Boilers made a good hire. IU benefited from their collapse. They have historically benefited from our lack of success. If both teams become consistent bowl teams it will be cool.
Reading this thread is like reading who sucks worse. I love it.

Nope. Not inside information as you know. Everyone knew what a great guy Wilson was. A real people person. A terrific role model at IU. Shelock...funny.

Tell us more Shelock. Tell us more about how he was a drunk abuser and be specific. Wel'll wait.

You obviously can't. Great thing about this board. If one of us went to GBI and spewed half this level of diahreah we would be banned in one post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT