ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any Purdue recruits that Allen should be targeting?

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2004
while I am sure PU will get better over time, it won't be in the next couple of years so why not join a group that is well ahead on the curve? Maybe a kid was not thrilled about KW?

Are there any in state kids that IU would want to offer a better experience?

while I am sure PU will get better over time, it won't be in the next couple of years so why not join a group that is well ahead on the curve? Maybe a kid was not thrilled about KW?

Hazell mostly ignored in-state recruiiting so I'm not sure who you would go after. Brohm should be much better in that area.

Their recruiting is in the toilet. Actually, it's nearly made it all the way to the sewage treatment plant...

They are in on close to 33 JC players at last check (so much for their supposed "high" academic standards)... That number tells me one thing: they are desperate...

Brohm is a good OC & QB coach which is fortunate for him. He should still have plenty of coaching slots available to him after his most recent career mistake goes south...;)

I'd stick with the list we have and let pu keep what little they've got. (IMO):cool:

Their recruiting is in the toilet. Actually, it's nearly made it all the way to the sewage treatment plant...

They are in on close to 33 JC players at last check (so much for their supposed "high" academic standards)... That number tells me one thing: they are desperate...

Brohm is a good OC & QB coach which is fortunate for him. He should still have plenty of coaching slots available to him after his most recent career mistake goes south...;)

I'd stick with the list we have and let pu keep what little they've got. (IMO):cool:

33? Where'd you see that number? If true, it's because Hazell was a horrible recruiter and has left our program in shambles.

Counted em myself.;)

Not saying you'll take that many, just that per the recruiting services (about a month ago) you (pu) had expressed "interest" in that many.

Counted em myself.;)

Not saying you'll take that many, just that per the recruiting services (about a month ago) you (pu) had expressed "interest" in that many.

I'm not surprised. With how horrible Hazell recruited, it doesn't shock me. We've heard some horror stories about how bad Hazell was with recruiting.

They are in on close to 33 JC players at last check (so much for their supposed "high" academic standards)
Be Fair 10 Year, not all JC kids don't have high academics, (in general, I'd say that's fair, but...) on my youngest sons team, they have a couple of kids that went to Group of 5 schools, had their bodies change significantly, went to JC so they could continue to "play into their bodies" and then went Power 5.
Both are current roommates with my son and they get teased as the "academic crew" at his house. Five football players in the house, lowest GPA this semester may be my son at 3.8. Not ALL JUCO guys are academic strugglers, but I see your point.

Reactions: JCHoosier
That's true, but on average more than half of the guys headed that route do so due to their being non-qualifiers. Now does that mean they won't become a good student over the long haul? No; but most would struggle in aeronautical engineering classes...

Let's just say if you're presenting yourself as a pseudo "Ivy League" school (DWS) bringing in a load of JC guys does not exactly match with your advertising.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monday QB
Hazell's recruiting was the worst thing I've ever seen from a B1G coach (not that I'm complaining). I mean he didn't even offer Coy Cronk or really pay attention to him and the kid was 7 miles away. Brohm will undoubtly do better (how can it be worse)....plus his new offense will energize recruits. I would not say what recruits can we steal from Purdue, rather what recruits do we have to worry about Brohm going after?

Reactions: fpeaugh
Hazell's recruiting was the worst thing I've ever seen from a B1G coach (not that I'm complaining). I mean he didn't even offer Coy Cronk or really pay attention to him and the kid was 7 miles away. Brohm will undoubtly do better (how can it be worse)....plus his new offense will energize recruits. I would not say what recruits can we steal from Purdue, rather what recruits do we have to worry about Brohm going after?

I think you hit the nail on the head here. A competent coach would've had Cronk, Jacob Robinson, Brandon Knight, and Britt Beery in Purdue uniforms. Unfortunately, we had Hazell.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. A competent coach would've had Cronk, Jacob Robinson, Brandon Knight, and Britt Beery in Purdue uniforms. Unfortunately, we had Hazell.

Those kids probably still wouldnt have went to Purdue. Kids aren't going to Purdue, because it's "Purdue."

Good luck with that strategy.

I'd be more worried about keeping any good recruits you have with Purdue getting Brohm now...

People outside of the Midwest don't even know who Purdue is. Do you think a 17 year old kid from the West Coast, Southeast, or East Coast really knows who Purdue is, I doubt it.

There's a good chance Brohm will be at Purdue less than four years...mark it down. He's the Louisville golden child and will take that job when it comes available.

He's a good offensive mind but his defenses weren't too hot. Heck, IU spanked his very best team last year and that WKU team would've beaten the last 8 or 9 Purdue teams.

He'll do ok at Purdue, I just don't see him recruiting too well up there. He would recruit very well in Louisville.

Reactions: 10yrProject
I'd be more worried about keeping any good recruits you have with Purdue getting Brohm now...
Really , why? Brohm hasn't distinguished himself as some outstanding recruiter. IU has 4 Buckets and 2 Bowls in a row, if I were a kid coming out of HS right now, I'd feel a heck of a lot better about IU than PU.

People outside of the Midwest don't even know who Purdue is. Do you think a 17 year old kid from the West Coast, Southeast, or East Coast really knows who Purdue is, I doubt it.

There's a good chance Brohm will be at Purdue less than four years...mark it down. He's the Louisville golden child and will take that job when it comes available.

He's a good offensive mind but his defenses weren't too hot. Heck, IU spanked his very best team last year and that WKU team would've beaten the last 8 or 9 Purdue teams.

He'll do ok at Purdue, I just don't see him recruiting too well up there. He would recruit very well in Louisville.

Your first paragraph might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I don't know how you can say that with a straight face because it is comically false.

When you say you "spanked" them last year, are you referring to your narrow 3 point win in Bloomington? I guess you spanked them like you spanked us this year right?

He might not be at Purdue very long but even if he is here 4 years and improves our program before going somewhere else, he'd put us in a much better place than we're at right now.

As far as recruiting, I think he has the ability to be a very solid recruiter. He's done well recruiting in the southeastern states and will be a factor in the Louisville area since he's from there. He can sell a high-powered offense since his WKU teams have averaged the most PPG in all of college football the last 3 years. He needs to hire a good DC but he's a guy that many national pundits are calling a "grand slam", "home run", and "jackpot" hire. Purdue made an extremely impressive hire today for a guy who was also being courted for the Baylor, Cincy, and Oregon jobs.

Really , why? Brohm hasn't distinguished himself as some outstanding recruiter. IU has 4 Buckets and 2 Bowls in a row, if I were a kid coming out of HS right now, I'd feel a heck of a lot better about IU than PU.

Has Allen distinguished himself as an outstanding recruiter anywhere outside of Indiana?

Has Allen distinguished himself as an outstanding recruiter anywhere outside of Indiana?
Actually did pretty good at his time at Ole Miss, picked up a few 4 stars and some high end 3 stars. I think brohm will do well in recruting, but i dont think IU will fall off the map like many of your bolier buddy's think we will

Your first paragraph might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I don't know how you can say that with a straight face because it is comically false.

When you say you "spanked" them last year, are you referring to your narrow 3 point win in Bloomington? I guess you spanked them like you spanked us this year right?

He might not be at Purdue very long but even if he is here 4 years and improves our program before going somewhere else, he'd put us in a much better place than we're at right now.

As far as recruiting, I think he has the ability to be a very solid recruiter. He's done well recruiting in the southeastern states and will be a factor in the Louisville area since he's from there. He can sell a high-powered offense since his WKU teams have averaged the most PPG in all of college football the last 3 years. He needs to hire a good DC but he's a guy that many national pundits are calling a "grand slam", "home run", and "jackpot" hire. Purdue made an extremely impressive hire today for a guy who was also being courted for the Baylor, Cincy, and Oregon jobs.
He wasn't courted by Oregon.

Reactions: Chriselli
Actually did pretty good at his time at Ole Miss, picked up a few 4 stars and some high end 3 stars. I think brohm will do well in recruting, but i dont think IU will fall off the map like many of your bolier buddy's think we will

I don't think you'll fall off the map. I just don't think IU will be able to recruit as easily against Purdue as they have in the past 4 years.

Seeing as how we are IN Indiana, I think that is pretty important, not to mention our staff has been recruiting together for quite a while now and working the same plan. You don't even have a staff yet, I'm sure Brohm will recruit better than Hazell did, but that isn't saying much, and Brohm certainly hasn't shown an ability to put a good defense together.

Seeing as how we are IN Indiana, I think that is pretty important, not to mention our staff has been recruiting together for quite a while now and working the same plan. You don't even have a staff yet, I'm sure Brohm will recruit better than Hazell did, but that isn't saying much, and Brohm certainly hasn't shown an ability to put a good defense together.
I wouldn't be so sure that IU's staff will remain intact. Several coaches will have legit opportunities to move.

This year, WKU was 37th in total defense so I'd argue that he hasn't shown an ability to put a good defense together.

Hilarious, glad you're happy, he certainly wasn't first choice of you boily fans who were drooling over Miles and Fleck a week ago. Some of your fans also don't believe he was the AD's first choice, but good luck, you better hope he can out score everyone. Looking at your roster that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Hilarious, glad you're happy, he certainly wasn't first choice of you boily fans who were drooling over Miles and Fleck a week ago. Some of your fans also don't believe he was the AD's first choice, but good luck, you better hope he can out score everyone. Looking at your roster that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Miles would've been a really bad hire for us and I'm glad our AD looked at other options. Brohm was the best fit for us due to his knack for high offensive output. Couldn't be more excited.

Who cares if that's what our fans believe? After hearing more today, I think he was our AD's first choice all along.

I wouldn't be so sure that IU's staff will remain intact. Several coaches will have legit opportunities to move.
And have had those opportunities in the past, which must mean they are pretty good. If a couple leave so be it, I'd still rather be in Allen's shoes with his roster, his staff and his commits, as opposed to a bad roster , no staff, and getting a late start on recruiting.

Miles would've been a really bad hire for us and I'm glad our AD looked at other options. Brohm was the best fit for us due to his knack for high offensive output. Couldn't be more excited.

Who cares if that's what our fans believe? After hearing more today, I think he was our AD's first choice all along.
Probably the first choice of those who were interested, but not likely the top choice overall. He's a good hire and he'll have a chance to succeed there.

Think all you want, there was a lot of hand wringing going on, I remember when you all were "thrilled" with Hazell.And national pundits thought that was a good hire also, LOL. Now why are you here ?

Think all you want, there was a lot of hand wringing going on, I remember when you all were "thrilled" with Hazell.And national pundits thought that was a good hire also, LOL. Now why are you here ?

The national pundits weren't praising the Hazell hire like they are with Brohm. Hazell wasn't being pursued by other schools. Not comparable at all.

And have had those opportunities in the past, which must mean they are pretty good. If a couple leave so be it, I'd still rather be in Allen's shoes with his roster, his staff and his commits, as opposed to a bad roster , no staff, and getting a late start on recruiting.
They took IU to the end in their last two trips to Bloomington, so the roster differences may be closer than you think. And Brohm has experience as a college head coach, something Allen does not. IU's last decorated coordinator hire to the head position had some growing pains, as you might recall. Hope the transition to Allen is much smoother.

Ok, he gave up 99 points to La Tech in 2 games, and he is about to step up about 10 notches in SOS.

Awful small sample size eh? Our defense can only go up from being the worst in the conference the last several years. It can't get worse.

They took IU to the end in their last two trips to Bloomington, so the roster differences may be closer than you think. And Brohm has experience as a college head coach, something Allen does not. IU's last decorated coordinator hire to the head position had some growing pains, as you might recall. Hope the transition to Allen is much smoother.
I'm quite confident in Allen, listen to those that have played for him. Point differentials mean little in rivalries, bottom line, 4 in a row.

Last edited:
I just don't see Purdue as an attractive place for an 18 year old kid to spend the next 4 years of his life. Places with beautiful scenery, Bloomington and other Big Ten stops, shoukd have little concern with Purdue taking their recruits.

I honestly don't know how places like Minnesota and Purdue recruit. I'm being dead serious. I'm from the Louisville area and it's mindboggling. I'm predicting right now that Tom Allen dominates in state recruiting while Brohm is at Purdue. If the Indiana high school coaches love TA like we hear, Brohm has a big hill to climb. I think he'll regret Purdue.

Awful small sample size eh? Our defense can only go up from being the worst in the conference the last several years. It can't get worse.
Only took about 45 minutes for them to even mention defense in the presser, and against their schedule being ranked 37th is nothing to write home about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT