ADVERTISEMENT

Cigs Tryout Strategy

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
I don't know how he convinced so many productive veteran players to commit at so many positions, but overbooking is a hell of a strategy from a competition standpiont, and I will shocked if it does not work. I think they are basically letting guys compete and then encourage kids who fall into three categories that other opportunities might be better 1) underclassmen who are viewed as mistake recruits (work ethic, no potential etc). Any senior or 5th year that can't make the two deep (except at running back which would be the three deep. Guys that would seem to have their work cut out for them are Holloway and Henderson (although Henderson is a solid back), and Andison Colby at receiver. There is almost no way that this strategy does not end up with a deeper more talented football team than Allen's strategy. Allen had a lot of guys who never played in college competing for starters spots. Cignetti has a ton of guys who have already been highly productive in college competing for starting spots.

I don't know how he convinced so many productive veteran players to commit at so many positions, but overbooking is a hell of a strategy from a competition standpiont, and I will shocked if it does not work. I think they are basically letting guys compete and then encourage kids who fall into three categories that other opportunities might be better 1) underclassmen who are viewed as mistake recruits (work ethic, no potential etc). Any senior or 5th year that can't make the two deep (except at running back which would be the three deep. Guys that would seem to have their work cut out for them are Holloway and Henderson (although Henderson is a solid back), and Andison Colby at receiver. There is almost no way that this strategy does not end up with a deeper more talented football team than Allen's strategy. Allen had a lot of guys who never played in college competing for starters spots. Cignetti has a ton of guys who have already been highly productive in college competing for starting spots.
Henderson is no longer listed on the roster.

I wonder if somebody transfers for winter semester, finds themselves buried on the depth chart on spring ball, and enters the portal again for the ‘24 season, do they have to sit out or does that count as just one transfer since they did not compete?

There will be a lot of players leaving for the portal every year. Just get used to it. I imagine a lot of these G5 players are chomping at the bit to prove themselves at the P5 level. They'll play hard and with a chip on their shoulders. Let's see if good coaching, good work ethics and good attitudes can do in a full B1G season.

I don't know how he convinced so many productive veteran players to commit at so many positions, but overbooking is a hell of a strategy from a competition standpiont, and I will shocked if it does not work. I think they are basically letting guys compete and then encourage kids who fall into three categories that other opportunities might be better 1) underclassmen who are viewed as mistake recruits (work ethic, no potential etc). Any senior or 5th year that can't make the two deep (except at running back which would be the three deep. Guys that would seem to have their work cut out for them are Holloway and Henderson (although Henderson is a solid back), and Andison Colby at receiver. There is almost know way that this strategy does not end up with a deeper more talented football team than Allen's strategy. Allen had a lot of guys who never played in college competing for starters spots. Cignetti has a ton of guys who have already been highly productive in college competing for starting spots.
(This is Not a shot at you personally, I'm just always amazed at how Henderson seems to be routinely overlooked by nearly everyone).

When he's healthy, Henderson is our best back... He can block, he has decent hands and he's proven himself to be one of our best ball carriers... He's shown that on tape, yet he consistently seems to be undervalued... No worries though, he'll just go out and prove himself again...

I'll have to trust that Cignetti knows what he's doing by overloading the RB room. I'm guessing he's covering his potential injury bases, along with adding fresh bodies in the intermediate passing game and adding speed to Special Teams... Someday I hope to hear his thoughts on that... Personally, I would have spent one of those JMU backs scholarship on another Linemen (on either side of the ball)...

I'd imagine he's lit a fire under Holloman (RB), either that or we'll see him in the Portal come May... Coby (at WR) had better learn to hang onto the football or he'll most likely be looking for a new home in May too... It wouldn't surprise me if one of our 3rd or 4th team Offensive Linemen who have been here long enough to get better don't end up considering moving elsewhere also...

Once again the Head Coach didn't call me first to get my opinion... 🙄😖🙉😉

If he had called I would have told him to leave his two LB's and whichever RB was the worst blocker (of the two) back at JMU..., and use those scholarships for a DT, a G/C, and a DE from the Portal... Here's hoping all three of those guys (along with Coach Cignetti) prove me totally and completely wrong...

Coach Cignetti has a proven record of developing winning teams and we will see him do it at IU despite our natural inclination to think it can't happen at IU. I think coach Cignetti and staff will make believers out of the fans.
I'm more than happy that he's the Head Coach and I'm comfortable in the thought that there's a method to his madness...

I believe he will win here but I have a feeling he may initially find the Big Ten a little tougher row to hoe than he first imagined...

He's both a smart guy and a proven Winner so I don't expect either of those attributes to change...

Looks to me like he's decided to go heavy in the area he precieves as our current strength which appears to be the Offense..., and thinks the D can get it done with primarily the talent on hand coupled with better coaching... I wouldn't bet against him.

Should be fun to watch... I'm expecting to see clear progressive improvement from game one up through game six and then incremental improvement from there onward...

If we have any Leadership step forward from within the TEAM itself then we might have a real shot at a special season...

* ((I'm not completely sold on any of the JMU guys aside from Horton (TE) and Sarratt (WR). Once again, I'm hoping the rest of them prove me utterly and completely wrong...))*

Last edited:
I'm more than happy that he's the Head Coach and I'm comfortable in the thought that there's a method to his madness...

I believe he will win here but I have a feeling he may initially find the Big Ten a little tougher row to hoe than he first imagined...

He's both a smart guy and a proven Winner so I don't expect either of those attributes to change...

Looks to me like he's decided to go heavy in the area he precieves as our current strength which appears to be the Offense..., and thinks the D can get it done with primarily the talent on hand coupled with better coaching... I wouldn't bet against him.

Should be fun to watch... I'm expecting to see clear progressive improvement from game one up through game six and then incremental improvement from there onward...

If we have any Leadership step forward from within the TEAM itself then we might have a real shot at a special season...

* ((I'm not completely sold on any of the JMU guys aside from Horton (TE) and Sarratt (WR). Once again, I'm hoping the rest of them prove me utterly and completely wrong...))*

He was an assistant at Alabama. I doubt he is going to find the Big Ten to be a tougher row to hoe. He may or may not be successful here but I doubt he has any illusions as to what he is walking into.

He was an assistant at Alabama. I doubt he is going to find the Big Ten to be a tougher row to hoe. He may or may not be successful here but I doubt he has any illusions as to what he is walking into.
It's quite a step up from the schedule he's been facing the past couple of years. In this league even the mediocre teams can beat you if you're having just a below average day...

I like his Confidence but I'm hoping that doesn't morph into Huberis... I've seen it happen to some of the best and it always came back to bite them when they least expected it...

Our motto this year was “Culture Wins” and I am a firm believer in that. Ever since I have followed IU football they have always found ways to lose as opposed to finding ways to win. My brother has brought up a good point. Perhaps many of these guys have been brought in to help change the culture in the locker room as much as on the field.

(This is Not a shot at you personally, I'm just always amazed at how Henderson seems to be routinely overlooked by nearly everyone).

When he's healthy, Henderson is our best back... He can block, he has decent hands and he's proven himself to be one of our best ball carriers... He's shown that on tape, yet he consistently seems to be undervalued... No worries though, he'll just go out and prove himself again...

I'll have to trust that Cignetti knows what he's doing by overloading the RB room. I'm guessing he's covering his potential injury bases, along with adding fresh bodies in the intermediate passing game and adding speed to Special Teams... Someday I hope to hear his thoughts on that... Personally, I would have spent one of those JMU backs scholarship on another Linemen (on either side of the ball)...

I'd imagine he's lit a fire under Holloman (RB), either that or we'll see him in the Portal come May... Coby (at WR) had better learn to hang onto the football or he'll most likely be looking for a new home in May too... It wouldn't surprise me if one of our 3rd or 4th team Offensive Linemen who have been here long enough to get better don't end up considering moving elsewhere also...

Once again the Head Coach didn't call me first to get my opinion... 🙄😖🙉😉

If he had called I would have told him to leave his two LB's and whichever RB was the worst blocker (of the two) back at JMU..., and use those scholarships for a DT, a G/C, and a DE from the Portal... Here's hoping all three of those guys (along with Coach Cignetti) prove me totally and completely wrong...
Agree on Henderson. For the last two years drove me crazy he didn't get more carries or targets out of the backfield. He is an all around back, including blocking and pass protection. Seemed to be a hard worker and team guy as well. Interested to hear why he isn't in CCC's plans, but probably will never know. Will be interesting to see if he transfers or decides to move on without football.

Super excited about the energy that CCC is bringing to the football program.

My brother has brought up a good point. Perhaps many of these guys have been brought in to help change the culture in the locker room as much as on the field.

No question in my mind this factors in. The JMU guys will play a big part in letting the rest know how CCC's system works and what he expects and what is merely bluster and what is dead serious.

Agree on Henderson. For the last two years drove me crazy he didn't get more carries or targets out of the backfield. He is an all around back, including blocking and pass protection. Seemed to be a hard worker and team guy as well. Interested to hear why he isn't in CCC's plans, but probably will never know. Will be interesting to see if he transfers or decides to move on without football.

Super excited about the energy that CCC is bringing to the football program.
Had a few interactions with Henderson’s dad on Twitter. Really good dude. I enjoyed watching Josh play for IU.

I too worry that the B1G is tougher than coach expects but coach Cignetti wins and has a plan so we will see how it works this next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT