ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any Dr’s on this forum?

I need some advice for something my son is dealing with. Family medicine/infectious disease
Facts we don’t know. Is he over 16? Is he sexually active with people who aren’t really “bring home to dad” material? Does it burn when he pee’s? ( this may allow you to disregard question 2).
Honestly, we need more info.
We talking shit that mom and dad don’t want to admit about life, or a real medical issue?
I watched House, you can trust me.

Facts we don’t know. Is he over 16? Is he sexually active with people who aren’t really “bring home to dad” material? Does it burn when he pee’s? ( this may allow you to disregard question 2).
Honestly, we need more info.
We talking shit that mom and dad don’t want to admit about life, or a real medical issue?
I watched House, you can trust me.
He’s 13 and dealing with mononucleosis. He just cant seem to kick it. Still has fatigue, headaches and light sensitivity. He was diagnosed back in November. We don’t have any previous experience with this and don’t know at what point the length of him dealing with this becomes abnormal. He’s missed a ton of school, but were more concerned with getting him healthy.

• Sad
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
He’s 13 and dealing with mononucleosis. He just cant seem to kick it. Still has fatigue, headaches and light sensitivity. He was diagnosed back in November. We don’t have any previous experience with this and don’t know at what point the length of him dealing with this becomes abnormal. He’s missed a ton of school, but were more concerned with getting him healthy.
We've got lots of lawyers and other scammers here but no actual medical doctors that I'm aware of. Sorry to hear about your son. Maybe someone who has been through this could offer some insight. I got nothing.

Reactions: Sobchak_Security
Mono takes a long time to fully feel better. I mostly was fatigued for quite a while (many months)

Ok, I was hoping for something we could poke fun at( only because we all been there) and it was easy.
Hmm Mono, 13 yr old. ( is this your first teenager? Just curious to help with diagnosis theory.
As I recall, younger teenagers have a much higher prevalence of (fake)mono, which is more self forced expression of conditions, than what symptoms honestly exist.
The teen mind is exploring some edges of the self existence envelope right now.
Ya may want to give that envelope a little “rope” so to say. There’s a good chance, this is self induced psychosomatic as he works through teenage Morpheus .
How “connected “ are you and he?

Ok, I was hoping for something we could poke fun at( only because we all been there) and it was easy.
Hmm Mono, 13 yr old. ( is this your first teenager? Just curious to help with diagnosis theory.
As I recall, younger teenagers have a much higher prevalence of (fake)mono, which is more self forced expression of conditions, than what symptoms honestly exist.
Ya may want to give that envelope a little “rope” so to say. There’s a good chance, this is self induced psychosomatic as he works through teenage Morpheus .
I certainly don’t think he’s faking it. It was diagnosed thru blood tests and he likes school. It seems to have done a number on his immune system as he’s gotten strep throat 4 times, influenza B and Covid during this time as well. We have an older son who is 16, but thankfully he never has gotten it and neither have my wife or I. Maybe this is just how mono plays out. But man, it sure seems to linger

Good God. WTF is wrong with you? Did you hit your head a lot as a kid?

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Good God. WTF is wrong with you? Did you hit your head a lot as a kid?
It's all a serious info and questions. The last one most important. How "close" to the kid are you. All of us that have kids know that we all have different levels of being "connected mentally" with different kids of our own. It's just fact. To add that at that age, kids can present differently as their minds are little pockets of quicksand, often. So, is there any chance that some or most (even as a possibility), of this is psychosomatic internally driven.
Not busting your chops, I just have a bedside manner like House.

I blame it all on my dad. He forced me to drive a green tractor once and he knew I loved my red tractors. I was never the same afterwards.

Last edited:
The Water Cooler is where I come for all my medical advice, especially for my kids
Sometimes I wonder if you wouldn't get about as good of advice. Seems like every time I go in with a complaint all I get the is the "You are getting older" comment. Sometimes I'd like to punch one in the nose and then ask them if their nose hurts and when they say yes tell them they are getting older. I know they deal with all sorts of people but I am not one to complain about much.... just deal with it. On the other hand, I have a sister that would go to the doctor for a hangnail.

I certainly don’t think he’s faking it. It was diagnosed thru blood tests and he likes school. It seems to have done a number on his immune system as he’s gotten strep throat 4 times, influenza B and Covid during this time as well. We have an older son who is 16, but thankfully he never has gotten it and neither have my wife or I. Maybe this is just how mono plays out. But man, it sure seems to linger
I'm no doctor, but anecdotally I knew someone in Maryland who was misdiagnosed with a lot of those symptoms. It turned out she had Lyme's disease. From what I've heard, that is sometimes hard to detect if they're not looking for it directly.

Do PhD's count?

Sorry, but no...

388849.jpg

FFS how has this not been referernced by the old timers. Also, for the newbies, an intro to the LTF

Holy shit, i think i just saw @mcmurtry66 's original handle in there. 14 years ago!

FFS how has this not been referernced by the old timers. Also, for the newbies, an intro to the LTF

Holy shit, i think i just saw @mcmurtry66 's original handle in there. 14 years ago!
Yeah I saw that.... the last time that handle was seen was in 2016 and the current one started in 2019..... wonder what he called himself during the missing years. 🤣

I'm no doctor, but anecdotally I knew someone in Maryland who was misdiagnosed with a lot of those symptoms. It turned out she had Lyme's disease. From what I've heard, that is sometimes hard to detect if they're not looking for it directly.
We’ve been referred to an infectious disease Dr. which we see next week. Hoping to get some answers. Got a little frustrated with our pediatrician as she would never do any testing unless we requested it, which was how he was diagnosed with mono to begin with. What you mentioned is certainly something I’ll bring up. Can you get that other than by a tick bite?

We’ve been referred to an infectious disease Dr. which we see next week. Hoping to get some answers. Got a little frustrated with our pediatrician as she would never do any testing unless we requested it, which was how he was diagnosed with mono to begin with. What you mentioned is certainly something I’ll bring up. Can you get that other than by a tick bite?
I honestly don’t know. It’s been awhile, but I don’t recall how she got it. I do believe she’s better now, but once they had the correct diagnosis, she was properly treated. It took awhile to fully recover.

Her son and my son were good friends in grade school and I feel like she was laid up for much of a school year.

Got a little frustrated with our pediatrician as she would never do any testing unless we requested it, which was how he was diagnosed with mono to begin with.

Weird. My doctor wants to run every freaking test she thinks she can get away with and that Humana will pay for. Nothing totally uncalled for, but she still pushes to get tests and diagnostic procedures done "just in case."

Weird. My doctor wants to run every freaking test she thinks she can get away with and that Humana will pay for. Nothing totally uncalled for, but she still pushes to get tests and diagnostic procedures done "just in case."
It's because you're old as shit and she doesn't want you dying on her watch - too much paperwork.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT