ADVERTISEMENT

Anything positive going on with the marching band?

They raised several thousand dollars for new instruments, they got new uniforms recently, Hundred Hall is up and running.
Now that is real progress that had been deferred for oh so long. The Hundred Hall, new instruments, and updated uniforms will be a tremendous morale boost for the band members and their leaders. The next critical step is for the musical choices to be more current and get our fans and players juiced up.

Now that is real progress that had been deferred for oh so long. The Hundred Hall, new instruments, and updated uniforms will be a tremendous morale boost for the band members and their leaders. The next critical step is for the musical choices to be more current and get our fans and players juiced up.

They need new leadership, imo, but I'd settle for them playing more marches, Sousa & otherwise......

I truly hope the music will be upgraded. The mood, energy and enthusiasm of the crowd is heavily influenced by the band. I do not care if they are technically precise. I'd like them to be LOUD and play upbeat FUN music. And ditch the God-Father Theme.

I'd like to see the drums and brass LOUDLY play Apache (Jump On It) by Sugar Hill Gang. Just the first minute. Students grew up watching WiIl Smith have FUN with this song and I have watched a decade of our teenage and now college age kids with their friends GET UP and get energy going when this music is played - MANY times, with instant smiles on their faces. It just pumps energy into them. Play that as a warm up prior to kick off for crowd energy and watch 20k students up on their feet dancing and having FUN.

The drum solo in cantegious and the IU brass can BLAST the music. I see the D making an interception or a fumble take away, that music immediately played and the place going nuts. That's a signature type experience IU could own. Put the kids on the Humongatron having fun dancing to that song and the crowd will catch on. JUMP ON IT!

Whether that or something else. IU needs something like the Wisconsin 5th quarter and Jump Around after the 3rd. Like OSU's hang on sloopy or the amazing band entrance. Like Kansas State's FUN Wabash CannonBall Blitz when the student section goes nuts and requests it multiple times.

Not just a tradition to call IU's own, but music to create ENERGY and atmosphere. The Band can do better. PLEASE get the right leadership in place, poll band members, poll students, poll alumni across age spectrums, watch/listen to what other bands do to create energy and CHANGE what IU's band has been doing the past decade.

I cannot understand why the band has continued to play multiple songs catering toward 70+ year old alumni that sit all game or leave early.

Fun over precision
ENERGY over old standards, showtunes and salutes to Jazz.

Fred, if you're reading this - please also decrease the amount of local sponsor "goofy" giveaways during TV timeouts. It's embarrassing and minor league. Replace that time with footage on the humangotrons of IU highlights from games in prior years, "where are they now" features on former players or just IU football related trivia and upbeat music.

They should watch some videos of some quality marching bands and then just try to copy what they do. Stop playing marches from the 19th century and swing band tunes from the 1930s. Give the crowd a reason not to walk out at halftime.

When I was an undergrad USC jammed with Fleetwood Mac. I am just saying...

The dead air time from the time band marches to the
north end zone and stands in dead silence
waiting for the team to run out must be
corrected, it is a terrible visual and an enthusiasm
killer. Play something!

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
I truly hope the music will be upgraded. The mood, energy and enthusiasm of the crowd is heavily influenced by the band. I do not care if they are technically precise. I'd like them to be LOUD and play upbeat FUN music. And ditch the God-Father Theme.

I'd like to see the drums and brass LOUDLY play Apache (Jump On It) by Sugar Hill Gang. Just the first minute. Students grew up watching WiIl Smith have FUN with this song and I have watched a decade of our teenage and now college age kids with their friends GET UP and get energy going when this music is played - MANY times, with instant smiles on their faces. It just pumps energy into them. Play that as a warm up prior to kick off for crowd energy and watch 20k students up on their feet dancing and having FUN.

The drum solo in cantegious and the IU brass can BLAST the music. I see the D making an interception or a fumble take away, that music immediately played and the place going nuts. That's a signature type experience IU could own. Put the kids on the Humongatron having fun dancing to that song and the crowd will catch on. JUMP ON IT!

Whether that or something else. IU needs something like the Wisconsin 5th quarter and Jump Around after the 3rd. Like OSU's hang on sloopy or the amazing band entrance. Like Kansas State's FUN Wabash CannonBall Blitz when the student section goes nuts and requests it multiple times.

Not just a tradition to call IU's own, but music to create ENERGY and atmosphere. The Band can do better. PLEASE get the right leadership in place, poll band members, poll students, poll alumni across age spectrums, watch/listen to what other bands do to create energy and CHANGE what IU's band has been doing the past decade.

I cannot understand why the band has continued to play multiple songs catering toward 70+ year old alumni that sit all game or leave early.

Fun over precision
ENERGY over old standards, showtunes and salutes to Jazz.

Fred, if you're reading this - please also decrease the amount of local sponsor "goofy" giveaways during TV timeouts. It's embarrassing and minor league. Replace that time with footage on the humangotrons of IU highlights from games in prior years, "where are they now" features on former players or just IU football related trivia and upbeat music.
The last paragraph you wrote is the best suggestion I have read this entire off-season. When we're making million$ from TV, cut the rinky dink nonsense and keep the atmosphere up. They don't do that garbage at Penn State. Keep the music playing. It's a football party.

be trendsetters.

drop the big bass drums and snares, and give the drummers sit down drum sets.

you can't pull off anything rock or blues based without a sit down drummer. same for big band and a lot of jazz.

a sit down trap set totally changes what the band can pull off, and multiple ones would allow the band to pull off a ton things that other bands can't..

some electric guitars and basses added to the band when they are in the stands would add even another dimension.

and doesn't the school of music have a bunch of kick ass singers with big voices.

would love to hear what they could pull off from the stands with sit down drummers, electric guitars and basses, and some vocalists. (and would give Fred something else to upgrade, (PA), so he doesn't get bored).

bring football marching bands into the 21st century.

at least do the sit down drums.

and no, you can't march at a sit down drum set.

don't care, let the drummers line up on the periphery, and let everyone else march when on field.

The last paragraph you wrote is the best suggestion I have read this entire off-season. When we're making million$ from TV, cut the rinky dink nonsense and keep the atmosphere up. They don't do that garbage at Penn State. Keep the music playing. It's a football party.

Penn State is an excellent example of a school using prerecorded music to keep the party rolling and the energy up. They play everything from snippets of "Phantom of the Opera" to Motown tunes (and it works).

Why our game day producers can't look around the league and the country and see what works is beyond me.

Continuing to use a garbage tune (theme to "The Godfather") that was something brought about to honor Gerry Dinardo (in a backhanded way) and not even considering to update it over a decade later is simply lazy... (in my opinion)

be trendsetters.

drop the big bass drums and snares, and give the drummers sit down drum sets.

you can't pull off anything rock or blues based without a sit down drummer. same for big band and a lot of jazz.

a sit down trap set totally changes what the band can pull off, and multiple ones would allow the band to pull off a ton things that other bands can't..

some electric guitars and basses added to the band when they are in the stands would add even another dimension.

and doesn't the school of music have a bunch of kick ass singers with big voices.

would love to hear what they could pull off from the stands with sit down drummers, electric guitars and basses, and some vocalists. (and would give Fred something else to upgrade, (PA), so he doesn't get bored).

bring football marching bands into the 21st century.

at least do the sit down drums.

and no, you can't march at a sit down drum set.

don't care, let the drummers line up on the periphery, and let everyone else march when on field.
Can't tell if you are just having a little fun or
you are serious. A sit down drum unit for
a college marching band is hilarious. The
reason OSU band is so highly thought of is
their marching is non-stop, including drums.
It is just like real estate location, location, location
and marching bands are not intended for the
concert hall setting.

I have seen what you propose at our local
high school, the drum units are towed onto
the field at half time by riding lawn mowers
and it looks ridiculous for a marching band.

A place for everything and everything in it's
place. Marching bands are not concert hall
bands and they should be marching and that
includes drums.

130 musicians marching is virtually no different from a visual perspective than 120 marching, with 10 more playing on the sideline.

you can sill do every formation with the 120 that you can with all 130. (or however many are in the band).

and no need to bring the drums on to the field. along the sidelines is fine.

bass and woodwinds can play everything marching they can play sitting down.

not so with drums.

without a sit down kit, a one drum drummer is relegated to being a small fraction of the musician he otherwise would be. (and has to learn an otherwise worthless skill while the other musicians can all hone their craft).

without sit down kits, you can't really pull off anything other than a march, anywhere near it's potential.

anything big band, jazz, rock, blues, show tune, based, requires a sit down drummer to be pulled off correctly.

and sit down drummers can still pull off a march just as well or better than if they only had one drum.

let the drummers sit on the side, and everybody else march.

nothing is lost on the marching end, and it opens up so much more on the music end.

not only does it open up the repertoire, but everything they do they will do better.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Bring back the Flag Corp! and all the other suggestions above. If I hear Hoosier wipeout one more time....

Reactions: Chriselli
Bring back the Flag Corp! and all the other suggestions above. If I hear Hoosier wipeout one more time....
Mystery??? Why was flag corp eliminated??? I for one would like to see it brought back. Our band looks small in size when compared to other BIG bands. Also why on a roll update red steppers outfits. We are so slow to update or change. Drives me nuts.

When it comes to non-game activities, IU does a LOT "because we have done it in the past"

That needs to stop.

They need to understand that the job of everybody is ENTERTAINMENT and EXCITEMENT (except for showing me scores - and not just Top 20).

EXCITE-ME-NT.

Upbeat music.

Sitting in Memorial Stadium for 4.5 hours listening to ads is boring.

They need a Director.
An ALL POWERFUL Director.
Who understands that "dead air" is an unforgiveable sin.
A Director who could have told Wilson - "SHUT UP - THE BAND IS GONNA PLAY WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT - WE ARE IN THE ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS - YOU ARE ONLY PART OF IT - DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD - IF YOU CANT CALL PLAYS IN NOISY PLACES THEN YOU CAN'T WIN BIG GAMES."

Fly overs
Sky jumpers
Music
Lippazzer stalions.
Whatever makes it fun.

When it comes to non-game activities, IU does a LOT "because we have done it in the past"

That needs to stop.

They need to understand that the job of everybody is ENTERTAINMENT and EXCITEMENT (except for showing me scores - and not just Top 20).

EXCITE-ME-NT.

Upbeat music.

Sitting in Memorial Stadium for 4.5 hours listening to ads is boring.

They need a Director.
An ALL POWERFUL Director.
Who understands that "dead air" is an unforgiveable sin.
A Director who could have told Wilson - "SHUT UP - THE BAND IS GONNA PLAY WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT - WE ARE IN THE ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS - YOU ARE ONLY PART OF IT - DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD - IF YOU CANT CALL PLAYS IN NOISY PLACES THEN YOU CAN'T WIN BIG GAMES."

Fly overs
Sky jumpers
Music
Lippazzer stalions.
Whatever makes it fun.

With you on all that..., except for when the Offense takes the field... Knowledgeable large groups of football fans *(of which I know you are one)* always quiet down when the signals are being called at home; that's a big part of "home field advantage (the other being that we make it damn near impossible for the other team to call theirs)...

Aside from that I totally agree with you (and I think you threw that in to accentuate your point)...

Oh..., and..., sky jumpers are dangerous...
One of them Nearly landed on the band a few years back and one landed way too close to the east stands field wall recently.

I like the look and I like to watch them, I just think that eventually they're going kill themselves and/or someone else...

///by the way MTIOTF, you're one of my All-Time Favorite posters but it would be nearly un-American of me if I agreed with you on every point all of the time;)///:D

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling
Mystery??? Why was flag corp eliminated??? I for one would like to see it brought back. Our band looks small in size when compared to other BIG bands. Also why on a roll update red steppers outfits. We are so slow to update or change. Drives me nuts.
Our band IS small compared to many others. As a renown music school, this always confused me. Great sound but needs quantity to be on par with what i think of as other great college bands.

Our band IS small compared to many others. As a renown music school, this always confused me. Great sound but needs quantity to be on par with what i think of as other great college bands.

A lot of the music performance majors at IU, etc look down on marching band, don't want to do it, and don't care about athletics. That's why the top-tier musicians aren't in it.

I think the playing is fine, but it's the mix of instruments and the focus on marching with the high step or whatever they use instead of focusing on just playing and entertaining shows that hurts the Hundred.

I thought I read sometime ago that most members
of the 100 are not music majors. I know for sure
at least 1 was not a music major because she is
now a clerk for a supreme court justice.

I thought I read sometime ago that most members
of the 100 are not music majors. I know for sure
at least 1 was not a music major because she is
now a clerk for a supreme court justice.

Here's what I understand to be the case. It's what I've heard or read in the past, where.... I can't recall. If I'm wrong. somebody please correct me.

I believe that some, but not all, music majors are required to play in the band. I believe it depends on what their focus is within the school of music. I believe this is unique or close to unique to IU, because almost all other college bands are all volunteer.

A certain % of these music majors don't want to be in the band. Therefore they lack enthusiasm. The lack of enthusiasm then repels some non-music majors who would otherwise be interested in being in the band.

As a result, what should be a major factor in having a great band, ie having a great music school, lessons rather than enhances the marching 100.

I 100% don't understand why the flag corp was eliminated. Makes 0 sense. I really like what MSU's band does......They have the flags of all the Big 10 schools.....that would only take 14 kids, and would improve the look a lot.

Here's another thing.....the AD should have some say in what the band does & doesn't do. As far as I can see, right now the school of music runs the show 100%. The result has not been good. Everybody has known it for 25 years and nobody EVER does anything about it. Maddening to me, as I really like college marching bands.

Here's what I understand to be the case. It's what I've heard or read in the past, where.... I can't recall. If I'm wrong. somebody please correct me.

I believe that some, but not all, music majors are required to play in the band. I believe it depends on what their focus is within the school of music. I believe this is unique or close to unique to IU, because almost all other college bands are all volunteer.

A certain % of these music majors don't want to be in the band. Therefore they lack enthusiasm. The lack of enthusiasm then repels some non-music majors who would otherwise be interested in being in the band.

As a result, what should be a major factor in having a great band, ie having a great music school, lessons rather than enhances the marching 100.
Music education majors are (or were when I was in the Hundred) required to march for 2 years. Since most of them are going to be teaching marching bands when they get jobs in high and middle schools, very few are in the Hundred against their wills. That’s not the problem.
The problem is a director who mailed it in years ago and a Music School that doesn’t care enough about the marching band to replace him. At many schools, the marching band is run by the athletic department and maybe that’s the way for IU to go if anyone wants it to be good ever again. Then again, our football game day operation has pretty much always sucked and there’s no indication we’re going to get it right any time soon.

Went to the webpage for the 100 and it appears that we are stuck with the same crew we have had. Jacobs needs to clean house and hire a new crew to direct the band. The current bunch needs to get off their a$$e$ and visit other schools to see what they are doing to entertain the fans...

Music education majors are (or were when I was in the Hundred) required to march for 2 years. Since most of them are going to be teaching marching bands when they get jobs in high and middle schools, very few are in the Hundred against their wills. That’s not the problem.
The problem is a director who mailed it in years ago and a Music School that doesn’t care enough about the marching band to replace him. At many schools, the marching band is run by the athletic department and maybe that’s the way for IU to go if anyone wants it to be good ever again. Then again, our football game day operation has pretty much always sucked and there’s no indication we’re going to get it right any time soon.

Thanks for the information.

It makes sense for the SofM guys to be in charge if there are a good # of music majors....it would seem that both they and the football operations people would want the same thing.....a larger band, more energy........In fact, you would think with the SoM in charge things would be top notch, because a lot of people see the band and it does reflect on the SoM overall.......is just a situation where the SoM higher-ups are eggheads that look down on that level of music?

It would also seem to be a situation where a very competent, energetic, competitive director could get in there and advocate for the band, shake things up.

Reactions: snowling and 76-1
The whole pregame really needs a near-complete overhaul to freshen it up, make it a cool entrance, entertain people to where they want to stop drinking and have their butts in the seats, and get people hyped. Same with the halftime shows.

Reactions: 76-1
The whole pregame really needs a near-complete overhaul to freshen it up, make it a cool entrance, entertain people to where they want to stop drinking and have their butts in the seats, and get people hyped. Same with the halftime shows.

Yep.........People say "who gives a crap about the band anyway"? True for a lot of people, but some people do. It also reflects on the program as a whole. It's just another one of those things where you look at it and think, "we just don't think or act like a big-time football school". We need the whole program, on and off the field, to project an attitude that we're serious........

They have the best musicians in the country...do something with them,

The musicians that are the greatest talents won't be in the band. Daydreamer mentioned that its mandatory for music education majors. Those people would generally be more "normal" and social than the eccentric ultra-talented and focused types.But if you're a SoM admistrator those are still your kids. You would think you would want to maximize their experience.

The musicians that are the greatest talents won't be in the band. Daydreamer mentioned that its mandatory for music education majors. Those people would generally be more "normal" and social than the eccentric ultra-talented and focused types.But if you're a SoM admistrator those are still your kids. You would think you would want to maximize their experience.

They are still enrolled in one of the elite music schools on the planet and I don't think Julliard has a marching band. More talent than OSU but no plan.

Marching bands are about hard work, enthusiasm and being loud. And having an attitude. That is the talent of a marching band. My perception is that the people running the program have never demanded excellence. Of course they have not been able to offer travel to New Years Day bowl games as a carrot.

Let’s not pretend that an inferior program has more talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT