ADVERTISEMENT

Tomorrow's battle of the bands will also be pretty one-sided

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Got to ask: why do we even have marching bands anymore? Ohio State's band - well, okay.

Only two NFL teams still have marching bands. On a good day when the marching band hits the field at halftime half the people leave anyway. The Hoosiers can pump in new tunes every week with a corresponding show on the scoreboard that could have the stadium rocking.

I hope somebody records the Ohio State band and Indiana band tomorrow. I would like to see a current comparison.

Got to ask: why do we even have marching bands anymore? Ohio State's band - well, okay.

Only two NFL teams still have marching bands. On a good day when the marching band hits the field at halftime half the people leave anyway. The Hoosiers can pump in new tunes every week with a corresponding show on the scoreboard that could have the stadium rocking.

I hope somebody records the Ohio State band and Indiana band tomorrow. I would like to see a current comparison.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two. IU’s band is straight trash. The whole outfit is stale. Music that was written 100 years ago. Lane formations. No creativity. Cut the group out entirely. Fire the band director. Outsource the band on Saturdays to an HBCU. Those guys put on a real band show.

Reactions: vesuvius13
There is absolutely no comparison between the two. IU’s band is straight trash. The whole outfit is stale. Music that was written 100 years ago. Lane formations. No creativity. Cut the group out entirely. Fire the band director. Outsource the band on Saturdays to an HBCU. Those guys put on a real band show.
And it is weird because Ray Cramer was considered a legend among band directors nationally.but the athletic bands were always formal and boring

It is too bad that David Jacobs didn’t stipulate a different concept for athletic bands as part of his $50MM gift.

Leonard Bernstein vs Freddie Mercury…you call it!

The Hundred obviously intimidated TBDBITL because they didn't even show up! ha ha

And it is weird because Ray Cramer was considered a legend among band directors nationally.but the athletic bands were always formal and boring

It is too bad that David Jacobs didn’t stipulate a different concept for athletic bands as part of his $50MM gift.
The band has always been too small and boring to be a real "football" band, but at least the sound used to be pure. The marching and playing on Saturday was the worst I've ever seen from the 100.

It's one of those little things that signal that our athletic department doesn't, and apparently won't ever, understand college football.

Reactions: jsenleo
When I attended, the drum major was a ballet major and could bend over backwards to touch the top of his cap to the turf. The marching 100 were worth seeing just to watch him strut.

The band is completely funded by the athletic department, which has kept the same allocation since 1990. OSU's band, like everything else, gets plenty of funding, which is possible when the OSU budget is $90M larger. That said, IU's athletic dept budget is now like 13th in the country, so WTF.

The band is completely funded by the athletic department, which has kept the same allocation since 1990. OSU's band, like everything else, gets plenty of funding, which is possible when the OSU budget is $90M larger. That said, IU's athletic dept budget is now like 13th in the country, so WTF.

With the revenue IU has and to be this behind in football and basketball is the equivalency of athletic department malpractice
The only way to turn such ineptitude around is you have to , HAVE TO, bring in an entirely new group of outside people wh have experience running successful football and basketball programs in tandem. UK is doing it. MSU does it. Ohio State does it.
Hmmm….I’m looking at the preseason basketball rankings right now. MSU, Tennessee, Purdue, UK, Arkansas, UNC, Texas A&M, Miami, USC, Baylor, Colorado…… all ranked preseason for college basketball right now. And you know what? None of them give a shit about that because they are all in on football in September.
Meanwhile, fans at IU are creaming their pants about a basketball program not close to the top-25 and projected middle of its own conferences.
It’s athletic malfeasance how this university is run.

The band has always been too small and boring to be a real "football" band, but at least the sound used to be pure. The marching and playing on Saturday was the worst I've ever seen from the 100.

It's one of those little things that signal that our athletic department doesn't, and apparently won't ever, understand college football.
I saw that Southern Mississippi and Alabama did tributes to Jimmy Buffett on their scoreboard and that all the fans sang along. Now that was probably fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT