ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on DeRon's health?

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
If DeRon is not healthy enough to play by the start of B1G Season, should he redshirt? Lingering injuries may need time to heal properly or remain lingering injuries for his entire career at IU similar to Hartman.

If DeRon is not healthy enough to play by the start of B1G Season, should he redshirt? Lingering injuries may need time to heal properly or remain lingering injuries for his entire career at IU similar to Hartman.
I've long believed that would be his best option. IIUC, his injury takes a looong time to recover from, and in the meantime he's not been able to fully participate in the strength and conditioning program. His S&C were suspect before the injury; he needs to be better than 100% of what he was beforehand. Otherwise, he should take the shirt and then tear things up next season. It would be in his best interests and in the best interests of the program. Quality, experienced bigs are hard to come by.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
I've long believed that would be his best option. IIUC, his injury takes a looong time to recover from, and in the meantime he's not been able to fully participate in the strength and conditioning program. His S&C were suspect before the injury; he needs to be better than 100% of what he was beforehand. Otherwise, he should take the shirt and then tear things up next season. It would be in his best interests and in the best interests of the program. Quality, experienced bigs are hard to come by.
If he is healthy enough to give 8-10 minutes a game then you play him. Especially in a year where IU should be a tourney team with young front court depth

Reactions: fpeaugh
If he is healthy enough to give 8-10 minutes a game then you play him. Especially in a year where IU should be a tourney team with young front court depth
I have no idea what he means either. Deron would be a 24 year old senior if he redshirted. I doubt that appeals to him. By the way, he said he'll be ready to go at the start of the season but his minutes may be limited at first.
I think DeRon deserves to have the opportunity to make a full contribution at full strength, not play a secondary role (8-10 minutes) for the short term (just the latter part of this season) rather than the longer term (next season entirely) and beyond.

We're still a tourney team this year without him. Next year he could be a dominant player.

I think DeRon deserves to have the opportunity to make a full contribution at full strength, not play a secondary role (8-10 minutes) for the short term (just the latter part of this season) rather than the longer term (next season entirely) and beyond.

We're still a tourney team this year without him. Next year he could be a dominant player.
I don’t ever see him being dominant. Especially after this injury

If he has any real shot at playing pro would imagine the last thing in his best interest (i.e., that he deserves) would be to come back too early and re-injure himself. He only needs one really good year on the Court to make the leap, not two.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Had zero exploveiness before the injury.
I expect less after...To anyone thinking he can play in the NBA. Doesn't know the game.I'm just not a fan of his old man's game. I'm sure Archie will never recruit a player like him.

I did not watch him play much. I assume his foul troubles are a function of poor footwork. And now he is recovering from Achilles’ tendon surgery. How could his footwork be any better? Or, how could his footwork not be worse?

Had zero exploveiness before the injury.
I expect less after...To anyone thinking he can play in the NBA. Doesn't know the game.I'm just not a fan of his old man's game. I'm sure Archie will never recruit a player like him.

"Old man's game"? You mean someone who can consistently score and defend in the paint? What is he supposed to do, carry the ball 15 feet and take 4.5 steps like Giannis? Maybe shoot 29% from deep and spend the off-season trying to show the scouts what a great long range shooter you are?

Playing high percentage basketball is good basketball. Old or young.

Also, I think he will play but may not be ready until January. If he can't project to a healthy Big Ten season, i agree to redshirt.

My personal belief is I don’t like redshirting anyone unless it’s a medical redshirt. If you can’t help us and you’re healthy why should we waste another year of a scholarship on a player? How many redshirts does UK, Duke, UNC, etc ever have? I doubt any.

My personal belief is I don’t like redshirting anyone unless it’s a medical redshirt. If you can’t help us and you’re healthy why should we waste another year of a scholarship on a player?
That's the point. If he's not 100% healthy -- and that includes being 100%+ from a conditioning standpoint -- then he should take the shirt. In the long run it's best for both DeRon and the team. Of course, this is JMO. YMMV.

That's the point. If he's not 100% healthy -- and that includes being 100%+ from a conditioning standpoint -- then he should take the shirt. In the long run it's best for both DeRon and the team. Of course, this is JMO. YMMV.

Even if it's in his best interest he probably won't want to. The staff wanted Moore to redshirt last season but he refused to even knowing that he'd probably be riding the bench.

And if Deron can give us 10+ solid minutes off the bench in March it could easily mean the difference between a Sweet 16 and a FF especially against a big team. I don't know why we'd want to give that up.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Even if it's in his best interest he probably won't want to. The staff wanted Moore to redshirt last season but he refused to even knowing that he'd probably be riding the bench.
I wasn't aware of that.

Question: Had Archie not played him at all, period, not for a second, isn't that effectively redshirting him? Does the kid really have any say in it?

I have no idea what he means either. Deron would be a 24 year old senior if he redshirted. I doubt that appeals to him. By the way, he said he'll be ready to go at the start of the season but his minutes may be limited at first.
His age is not the issue. Being good enough is the issue. He wasn't ready to play in the NBA at whatever age he was before his injury. It will likely take 6 months for him to get back where he was. Maybe longer, who knows. He needs time to heal and time to improve. Redshirting gives him time. If he is good enough, he will get a chance

As fans many of us can’t understand this. But kids - even if they don’t make the NBA - have a limited window of time to play professionally, even if that means G-league or Overseas. In many cases they are gonna leave to play ball for a living even if they’re not completely ready.

JBJr did.

Troy did.

TB did.

I know the father of one recent D1 player here in the state. His son told him “Dad, I might only be 25 but I’ve got the knees of a 40-year old”. The kids play a tremendous amount of ball from jr high going forward.

What WE as fans think is in the best interest of the players can drastically differ from their thoughts, simply because of perspective.

Isn't that all he played prior to the injury because of foul trouble?

Isn't that all he played prior to the injury because of foul trouble?
19 average. Early in the year it was 22 to 25..And it wasn't due only to foul trouble, he had a nagging leg injury, and it also had to do with Juwan being more effective as an inside scorer, and less than effective as expected as a perimeter scorer. Our best lineups were with only one of them in at a time.

As fans many of us can’t understand this. But kids - even if they don’t make the NBA - have a limited window of time to play professionally, even if that means G-league or Overseas. In many cases they are gonna leave to play ball for a living even if they’re not completely ready.

JBJr did.

Troy did.

TB did.

I know the father of one recent D1 player here in the state. His son told him “Dad, I might only be 25 but I’ve got the knees of a 40-year old”. The kids play a tremendous amount of ball from jr high going forward.

What WE as fans think is in the best interest of the players can drastically differ from their thoughts, simply because of perspective.
I'm always surprised to hear players like Bracey Wright are still playing. Davis can play for many years as long as he heals properly and doesn't jeopardize his chances by returning too soon.

The doctors and trainers will determine what is best for him medically. The staff will have to weigh contributions to the team vs what is best for whatever goals he may have to play after college.

He doesn't need people telling him his clock is ticking. He should play if he can contribute to a deep tourney run this year. I would just hate to see him play in a few games and throw a year away that he could use later if he needs it.

Davis will not be here for 3 more years......doesn't matter if he red shirts or not.

Like someone else said, his window to play professionally (even other than NBA) is small. He needs to take advantage of it while he can.

I did not watch him play much. I assume his foul troubles are a function of poor footwork. And now he is recovering from Achilles’ tendon surgery. How could his footwork be any better? Or, how could his footwork not be worse?

His footwork was actually very good. He had good touch, generally, too. The fouls were a result of bad conditioning his freshman year, and he improved that somewhat his sophomore year. He is still a plodding big man, so he's going to get some fouls...

DeRon needs to regain his FT shooting touch. I believe he went from over 70% his Freshman year to a terribly inconsistent 50% or lower FT shooter during his injury plagued Sophomore season. Teams will just hack him on shot attempts in the paint, hoping that he misses his FT, especially the front end of 1 and 1's, which is essentially a turnover, instead of a sure bucket near the rim.

Last edited:
Why do people have such a bad view of Davis?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/deron-davis-1.html

On offense, he is one of the most efficient players in the NATION.

Yes, on defense he struggles, but he is an very, very good player on the offensive end.

If healthy, he would start for almost every B10 team.
Not a bad view. Just saying that he was in foul trouble a lot and early in games last year. IMO - IU is a better team with a healthy DD.

To answer the original question, no, and I would not expect any further news unless something significant happens or DD decides to share something with us.

We have to get used to the idea that Coach Miller is anti-drama and very blunt about what he thinks and sees. In mid-June when he said DD won't be ready for contact/basketball related activity this summer, I believe that was his honest opinion. He added their fall program is the goal and specifically looking to November.

One of the things I appreciate the most about Coach Miller, so far, is the straightforward approach with the fans and media. You don't see conferences or interviews where he is trying to sell us on something. No more used car salesman routine. We are not seeing or hearing about off court incidents. The only things we hear about are basketball related and they are factual. Again, no drama. It's a nice change.

Why do people have such a bad view of Davis?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/deron-davis-1.html

On offense, he is one of the most efficient players in the NATION.

Yes, on defense he struggles, but he is an very, very good player on the offensive end.

If healthy, he would start for almost every B10 team.
Because people had unrealistic expectations of his improvement from freshman to sophomore year. When he didn’t live up to THEIR expectations, they blamed DD. The same people do it every year with a different player/recruit.

Reactions: birdforbogey
I'm always surprised to hear players like Bracey Wright are still playing. Davis can play for many years as long as he heals properly and doesn't jeopardize his chances by returning too soon.

The doctors and trainers will determine what is best for him medically. The staff will have to weigh contributions to the team vs what is best for whatever goals he may have to play after college.

He doesn't need people telling him his clock is ticking. He should play if he can contribute to a deep tourney run this year. I would just hate to see him play in a few games and throw a year away that he could use later if he needs it.

I agree - to an extent. He should be focused on being the best Deron Davis he can.

You mentioned Bracey and that's true some guys find a niche and play much longer than expected. Don't know of too many like like Deron, though - big post guys who play 12-15 years in the pros. Although I'm sure we could name examples, they're likely the exception rather than the rule.

I'll also bet Bracey didn't play near the amount of AAU that some of today's kids do. AAU / grassroots basketball has exploded over the last 15 years.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Tas: I like your AAU reference. My experience with AAU ball - ages kids in all sports beyond their years. One of my sons and I recently dropped summer travel ball to protect his arm. He plays the corners and pitches for second largest public HS in Alabama. Difficult decision for parents and kids to make because the coaches pressure kids to keep playing summer ball. Travel coaches want to pitch the hell out of him because he's kind of nasty. (Huge grin he's very nasty and I love it) The more I see the effects and surgerys of travel ball the more I'm turning against all this AAU summer stuff. Very hard on the kids who are not fully grown. Everyone touts showcase tournaments as the way college coaches can see/find the kids. I figure if my kid is good enough they'll find him.
AAU may work for some but it takes a toll on the body.
Man you struck a nerve with the AAU stuff. I'll put down the pen now.
Go Hoosiers!

Tas: I like your AAU reference. My experience with AAU ball - ages kids in all sports beyond their years. One of my sons and I recently dropped summer travel ball to protect his arm. He plays the corners and pitches for second largest public HS in Alabama. Difficult decision for parents and kids to make because the coaches pressure kids to keep playing summer ball. Travel coaches want to pitch the hell out of him because he's kind of nasty. (Huge grin he's very nasty and I love it) The more I see the effects and surgerys of travel ball the more I'm turning against all this AAU summer stuff. Very hard on the kids who are not fully grown. Everyone touts showcase tournaments as the way college coaches can see/find the kids. I figure if my kid is good enough they'll find him.
Go Hoosiers!

I'm friends with an orthopedic surgeon. He's mentioned to me the belief that the rise in ACL / knee-related injuries in teenage kids (especially girls) is due to constant stress on the knee joints. Kids used to go from football to basketball to baseball . . . whereas now there's been a movement toward specialization.

I see both sides of the argument; if a kid might earn a college scholarship by prioritising basketball over other sports (and can get a full ride on his/her education), it'd save the parent (like me :confused: ) the brutality of working two jobs to put a kid thru school. IMHO, you have to be really careful not to over-extend a kid.

BTW - if your kid is a great pitcher, hope he goes to my Cubbies. We need help badly in that dept . . . :D

Reactions: mobilehoosier
IU BB posted an Instagram story of Davis hitting 4-5 18 footers in a row in workouts today. Wasn't jumping a lot but I think they'd all qualify as jump shots.

15 Foot FT is in the 14 -18 foot range for Davis. :) i look forward to a healthy DeRon Davis playing this '18-'19 season.

I'm friends with an orthopedic surgeon. He's mentioned to me the belief that the rise in ACL / knee-related injuries in teenage kids (especially girls) is due to constant stress on the knee joints. Kids used to go from football to basketball to baseball . . . whereas now there's been a movement toward specialization.

I see both sides of the argument; if a kid might earn a college scholarship by prioritising basketball over other sports (and can get a full ride on his/her education), it'd save the parent (like me :confused: ) the brutality of working two jobs to put a kid thru school. IMHO, you have to be really careful not to over-extend a kid.

BTW - if your kid is a great pitcher, hope he goes to my Cubbies. We need help badly in that dept . . . :D
Cubs are his fav team and mine too.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
His footwork was actually very good. He had good touch, generally, too. The fouls were a result of bad conditioning his freshman year, and he improved that somewhat his sophomore year. He is still a plodding big man, so he's going to get some fouls...
I thought his footwork and the ability to get good position on the block was better than Thomas Bryant. I believe with experience and confidence that he would be a better player than TB. He was held back his first year because of his foul trouble.
Go Hoosiers!
There are a lot of doctors that feel kids need time off between sports seasons for youth. If they don't take time off at least get a break from that sport.

I use the example of my cousin that played youth football, basketball, and baseball as a youth all the way through high school. He played college baseball and spent several years in the Toronto Blue Jay organization. He was a pitcher and never had an arm surgery despite playing Legion ball in high school and winter ball in South America.

Both his sons pitched in college. Both had Tommy John surgery in their first two years. One quit playing after his injury and the other played for SIU and had an MLB future until he hurt his shoulder during his senior season. He is 30 years old and said he will struggle to play catch with his son or daughter.

One difference between the father and sons is that the father played 3 sports and the sons played baseball or trained year round and didn't play another sport. Someday there will be enough evidence to prove that concentrating on one sport is dangerous to the development of young players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT