ADVERTISEMENT

Allen SHOULD NOT have to subsidize Sheridan's firing!!!

I would like to know more of the back story before I go back slapping. It appears to me that he had pushed for Sheridan to receive a 1 mil $ extension earlier this year? Which the administration was admittedly furious about after Allen now needs to fire Sheridan? I think that paints a slightly different picture if that's the case, and the admin may have forced Allen to cough up some money, understandably so.

It wasn't a million. It was just shy of 800k.

Why would the administration be furious that Allen know needs to fire Sheridan? Everything coming out is he did it so he has more money to throw at a new OC.

Your making things up.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not sure if we got the whole story. This may have been done to show that he views himself accountable too. If not, it really does look small time. He's got at least two other coaches that probably need to go too so if he's paying this would not work. Hiller and the defensive line coach should go, but you could make a strong argument that the special teams coach should go too.
I thought the DL held up pretty well. It was one of the last units on the team to quit.

It wasn't a million. It was just shy of 800k.

Why would the administration be furious that Allen know needs to fire Sheridan? Everything coming out is he did it so he has more money to throw at a new OC.

Your making things up.
Because the buyout increased substantially?

If I come to you 6 months ago to ask for a raise for my employee and now 6 months later I'm telling you I need to fire said employee, how does that look?

The money Allen is kicking is is going toward the buyout from my understanding and doesn't even cover all of it.

Because the buyout increased substantially?

If I come to you 6 months ago to ask for a raise for my employee and now 6 months later I'm telling you I need to fire said employee, how does that look?

The money Allen is kicking is is going toward the buyout from my understanding and doesn't even cover all of it.

He didn't have a buyout. They paid his remaining contract. He got extended last year.

You don't even know the facts.

Idea someone is so "MAD" about some accountability to a head coach who was responsible for hiring/promoting Sheridan, was supposed to provide oversight and accountability to him, and allowed this season to go 2-10 is what's shocking.

Allen theoretically could have lost his job after this season's debacle. I am glad he didn't and not calling for that, but absolutely have no problem with him having big upside (on top of his big contract) if he wins B10 or beyond, but given that, he sure should also have skin in the game downside for a season like this that can really set a program back. Sheridan not lasting to noon the day after last game sends the first sign "I get it, we will be making changes" so that's good. But that coach should be able to pick his staff too and Hiller has to be on hot seat.

Why Coach T isn't for special teams seems confusing to me too. I'd give overall Special Teams grade this year maybe a C+ at best. Think a C- could easily be justified as their final season grade and that doesn't cut it trying to win B10.

Other than the punter, who was a disaster, the STs were as good a unit as there was on the team, other than the LBs.

EDIT: The kick-off guy was weak as well, but he was last year and at Rutgers. That also appears to have been on CTA.

He didn't have a buyout. They paid his remaining contract. He got extended last year.

Actually it's you who doesn't know the facts. It says quite clearly that he is owed a buyout of 950k. If you are claiming the 950k isn't a buyout you are splitting hairs. The money Allen's kicking in does not fully cover that.

That wasn't the argument.

The argument was the offense was worse than the defense, which it clearly was.

Again, go back to your board, troll.
I think the defense was worse than your offense. Just look at the Rutgers game, Western Ky., OSU, where do I stop.

Yikes I am looking at some conflicting information. I understood his contract to be expiring after this season, but that may be incorrect.
I feel like the initial press release about chipping in the 200k was terribly misleading. I don't think anyone was aware of what Sheridan had been awarded this year. I don't know what it says about society that people who are this bad at their job are paid many multiples of the average salary.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
I think the defense was worse than your offense. Just look at the Rutgers game, Western Ky., OSU, where do I stop.
Honest question: Why stay here and debate this. You guys kicked our ass and have a bowl game to talk about. I don't go post on GBI win or lose.

Other than the punter, who was a disaster, the STs were as good a unit as there was on the team, other than the LBs.

EDIT: The kick-off guy was weak as well, but he was last year and at Rutgers. That also appears to have been on CTA.
What? Remind you in Cinci game we lined up over center causing a 4th & 6 to be 4th & 1, they went for it, and then later scored, so their punt turned into a score. Then after we went up we allowed a kick off return, taking away all the momentum we had.

We literally do not return kickoffs anymore. And became same for punts by mid-season.

The top note on S/T is our amazing snapper. Our FG kicker is damn good (though surprisingly missed before half ball Purdue). The new punter needs strong competition as he struggled.

But no way was S/T great this year.

You’re RED HOT because a man paid nearly $5 million a year to win football games is taking a $200k pay cut to buy out a shitty hire he made and failed to successfully supervise on the way to a glorious two win season? IMO, he’s due another million or so pay cut for several other fires and the garbage product he put in the field each week. Accountability.
Agree. I thought it was a good move on Allen's part.

You are arguing semantics. Also, in most coaching jobs, if you have a multi-year contract you very seldom get paid the whole value of that contract if fired. So actually, it is even worse than a buy-out because we are paying full value.

Last edited:
They also lost both Johnsons, one to the NFL, and Mullen to injury for most of the year, but don't let that stop you from running with your narrative.
Dude, as Palmbeachhoosier was for our offense you are for the defense. Are you guys related in some way? Are you his alt account?

The defense gave up an average of 33.25 pts/gm. Without Idaho it gave up 35 pts/gm. It gave up over 30 pts in six of the 12 games. That is horrible. I don't expect much but a decent defense would have given up 24 pts/gm. IU was far from that. Facts are facts - points allowed are the metric for defensive efficiency. They were bad. Whether that is all Warren's fault is debatable, but there is nothing to indicate he upgraded the defense in his first year so I stand by the jury being out on Warren.

Also, if you had researched his teams AFA, they gave up a lot of points as well when he was DC there. IIRC 38 pts/gm one season. So not sure where your opinion comes from, but it is not based on fact and logic.
How many points did the defense give and how many points were due to offense mistakes? You also have look at the first 5 games before so many things started going wrong. I am not sold on Warren yet but not looking at what happen isn't the way to evaluate the defense.

iu

Every aspect of the team sucked. Next topic :)

Indiana is making 60 million per year from the Big Ten Network deals. I think they could cough up Sheridan's buyout.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Allen's idea, since he probably had to justify his choice of a novice OC in the first place.

I can definitely see him doing that. And, personally, I think it's a great idea. It should be more, imo, to up the kitty for a really good OC.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Allen's idea, since he probably had to justify his choice of a novice OC in the first place.

I can definitely see him doing that. And, personally, I think it's a great idea. It should be more, imo, to up the kitty for a really good OC.
I guess what concerns me is the optics of it and the potential precedent it could set. Will Allen have to cough up money every time he needs to make a move on an underperforming staff member?

I wonder how common this really is? I've not heard of this happening too much.

The defense gave up an average of 33.25 pts/gm. Without Idaho it gave up 35 pts/gm. It gave up over 30 pts in six of the 12 games. That is horrible. I don't expect much but a decent defense would have given up 24 pts/gm. IU was far from that. Facts are facts - points allowed are the metric for defensive efficiency. They were bad. Whether that is all Warren's fault is debatable, but there is nothing to indicate he upgraded the defense in his first year so I stand by the jury being out on Warren.

Also, if you had researched his teams AFA, they gave up a lot of points as well when he was DC there. IIRC 38 pts/gm one season. So not sure where your opinion comes from, but it is not based on fact and logic.
Well, we did have a few Pic 6s that added to our opponents totals. It wasn't all on the Defense.

I guess what concerns me is the optics of it and the potential precedent it could set. Will Allen have to cough up money every time he needs to make a move on an underperforming staff member?

I wonder how common this really is? I've not heard of this happening too much.
Honestly, I don't think anyone outside of IU fans really hear about it or care about it.

I rather suspect IU and Allen will be admired for it.

I admit that, on the face of it, it may look bad, but if there is any objective evaluation, it's pretty reasonable.

I do understand your position, though. Nothing IU does is ever really in line with big-boy football. I would have paid Deboer so much money he couldn't have afforded to leave, but that's just me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT