ADVERTISEMENT

Alito on C-Span

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Show was adversitised as his comments on the leak of Hobbs. Hasn’t been mentioned yet, but he did discuss threats by reporters to “make you look bad” when he was a prosecutor if he did not leak info to them. (Instead, he hired a public info officer.)

His comments on religion and speech are interesting, and he criticizes stare decisis- “can you imagine Einstein saying Newton was wrong about gravity but it’s been the rule for centuries so I will follow and use his data.” Or scholars saging “won’t challenge that rule or info - it’s been accepted for a long time.” Explains some of Hobbs.

he said the same thing I said about the Wesboro Baptists - “It’s easy to protect speech you like, and hard to protect you hate, but there is a lot of unprotected speech - extortion, defamation, etc. They could have delivered the same message (You’re father is burning in hell for being a US soldier) anywhere in the country at any time, but they chose to do it at the funerals because they chose to intentionally inflict harm and emotional distress, and that is a type of speech I think should have remained unprotected.”

Reactions: stollcpa
Show was adversitised as his comments on the leak of Hobbs. Hasn’t been mentioned yet, but he did discuss threats by reporters to “make you look bad” when he was a prosecutor if he did not leak info to them. (Instead, he hired a public info officer.)

His comments on religion and speech are interesting, and he criticizes stare decisis- “can you imagine Einstein saying Newton was wrong about gravity but it’s been the rule for centuries so I will follow and use his data.” Or scholars saging “won’t challenge that rule or info - it’s been accepted for a long time.” Explains some of Hobbs.

he said the same thing I said about the Wesboro Baptists - “It’s easy to protect speech you like, and hard to protect you hate, but there is a lot of unprotected speech - extortion, defamation, etc. They could have delivered the same message (You’re father is burning in hell for being a US soldier) anywhere in the country at any time, but they chose to do it at the funerals because they chose to intentionally inflict harm and emotional distress, and that is a type of speech I think should have remained unprotected.”
Wesboro Baptist is the worst John Roberts opinion ever. The jury was properly instructed on NYT v. Sullivan and still found for the Plaintiff. Roberts added an element of proof not found in Sullivan to the tort of Intentional infliction of Emotional Distress. The case was not about free speech, it was about tortious behavior.

Such comments about stare decisis reveal a shallow understanding of the difference between law and science, not to mention a very short-sighted view of today's politics. Both disappointing and not in line with conservative philosophy (not politics).

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Such comments about stare decisis reveal a shallow understanding of the difference between law and science, not to mention a very short-sighted view of today's politics. Both disappointing and not in line with conservative philosophy (not politics).
His comments in the video are in semi-stark contrast to his discussion of stare decisis in Dobbs, where I thought he did a more thorough job discussing AND applying the doctrine.

His eventual comments on the leak of the draft opinion were interesting. Apparently, there was an actual post-leak plot to kill justices sufficient to change the votes and prevent the release of the decision. Lefties always create interesting unintended consequences, and that was a doozie.

Apparently, there was an actual post-leak plot to kill justices sufficient to change the votes and prevent the release of the decision
?? Will you elaborate please ? Did I miss a really big story, or?
Are you just talking about the guy that turned himself in, planning to kill Kav?

?? Will you elaborate please ? Did I miss a really big story, or?
Are you just talking about the guy that turned himself in, planning to kill Kav?
He said it was an active case and he couldn’t discuss it any more than that. Called it a “plot” to kill justices (plural). Did not indicate that was the purpose of the leak - just a result.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT