ADVERTISEMENT

A plea from a UK fan

sobester

Benchwarmer
Mar 21, 2012
Please fire Woodson and offer Drew a $100 million dollar contract by tomorrow. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Please fire Woodson and offer Drew a $100 million dollar contract by tomorrow. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Nah man, ya'll can have him. Unless ya'll get Donovan, Hurley, Stevens or Wright you let the best coach you coulda had go to Arkansas.

tenor.gif

Reactions: IUgradman

Drew would be a dud in Bloomington.

Plus he'd take one walk down Kirkwood and see Satan everywhere he looked...typically in the form of a co-ed.

Not a good fit.

I could see him at Purdue, however....

Not disagreeing with you, but I’m curious as to why you don’t like Drew to be the next UK coach.
Part of it is just the rumors that Barnhart wants him over Donovan, Hurley and Pearl because they are friends and him being out of contention would eliminate UK taking him even if one of those rhree had interest. The other is I strongly believe in the separation of church and state and I suspect Drew does not.

• Haha

Plus he'd take one walk down Kirkwood and see Satan everywhere he looked...typically in the form of a co-ed.

Not a good fit.

Lexington is a pretty liberal place. Had first gay mayor in u.s. I believe. Votes strongly democratic.

I strongly disagree with that.

Disagree if you must, but the coach that went to Arkansas has won at an elite level everywhere he has been (73% clip at UMASS. 76% at Memphis and 77% at UK). He also wins 70% plus in conference. Conversely, Drew wins at 65% clip in his career, and 52% in conference. If a great coach with bags of cash can't make ya happy, I don't see how a pretty good coach with bags of cash moves the needle.

Hell if ya'll are willing to replace Calipari with Drew, Beard or Oats maybe you should take a run at Painter.

• Haha

Not a good fit.

Lexington is a pretty liberal place. Had first gay mayor in u.s. I believe. Notes strongly democrati
Disagree if you must, but the coach that went to Arkansas has won at an elite level everywhere he has been (73% clip at UMASS. 76% at Memphis and 77% at UK). He also wins 70% plus in conference. Conversely, Drew wins at 65% clip in his career, and 52% in conference. If a great coach with bags of cash can't make ya happy, I don't see how a pretty good coach with bags of cash moves the needle.

Hell if ya'll are willing to replace Calipari with Drew, Beard or Oats maybe you should take a run at Painter.

The whole point of this thread is that I don’t want Drew. Additionally, look at Cal over the last five years and compare him to other coaches and factor in the advantages of being at a top 3 program. You’re just wrong. There are probably 50 coaches with better tourney resumes the last 5 years, some at schools with little basketball tradition.

The other is I strongly believe in the separation of church and state and I suspect Drew does not.
Wow. You’ve gotta be a special kinda stupid if that’s your rationale for not hiring a basketball coach. I suspect we have divergent political beliefs, but if they were as successful as Scott Drew, I would hire an atheist, card carrying member of the Communist Party USA to coach at IU.

Wow. You’ve gotta be a special kinda stupid if that’s your rationale for not hiring a basketball coach. I suspect we have divergent political beliefs, but if they were as successful as Scott Drew, I would hire an atheist, card carrying member of the Communist Party USA to coach at IU.
Like I said, I thought, that is a contributing factor. Also, neither atheism nor communism is “church”. Would you
Mind if the coach was a satanist AND believed he would talk about it at every turn? I would. The specific religion is irrelevant to me.

Like I said, I thought, that is a contributing factor. Also, neither atheism nor communism is “church”. Would you
Mind if the coach was a satanist AND believed he would talk about it at every turn? I would. The specific religion is irrelevant to me.
I’d still say your priorities are ****ed up. Spend a couple decades “in the wilderness” and I bet even you’d be humming a new tune.

I’d still say your priorities are ****ed up. Spend a couple decades “in the wilderness” and I bet even you’d be humming a new tune.
So it’s not an out my belief in separation of church and state but about the specific religion of which you approve. My point exactly.

The whole point of this thread is that I don’t want Drew. Additionally, look at Cal over the last five years and compare him to other coaches and factor in the advantages of being at a top 3 program. You’re just wrong. There are probably 50 coaches with better tourney resumes the last 5 years, some at schools with little basketball tradition.

And I agree with the point of the thread, that Drew isn't your answer. The rest is at best speculative, but likely specious as well. Of these 50 coaches you propose with better tourney resumes than Cal the past 5 years, I reckon 10 maybe 20 percent could handle the pressure of coaching under the expectations of your program and it's fans. Even using the high number, thats 10 possible guys. Of those, how many would want the job? And of those, how many have proven to be winners over larger than a 5 year sample size like Cal has proven at every stop in his career? Will they be Rick Pitino or Billy Gillespie?

Hell, I despise UK and Cal. I hope whoever you end up with takes that program down the crapper, but I shake my head at the UK fanbase. Like somebody posted a few weeks ago here, 2012 can become 1987 before you know it. Keep playing Russian Roulette, running off winners, eventually it's gonna bite ya in the a$$.

• Love
So it’s not an out my belief in separation of church and state but about the specific religion of which you approve. My point exactly.
Huh? First of all, as long as they were an elite coach, I’d be fine with whoever. Secondly, it’s a dumb hypothetical, because there are no “real” satanists anyway, just a bunch of people with views about religion not unlike you, who think it’s cool to say they practice satanism. So yeah, if there’s a satanist Scott Drew available out there, sign me up.

And I agree with the point of the thread, that Drew isn't your answer. The rest is at best speculative, but likely specious as well. Of these 50 coaches you propose with better tourney resumes than Cal the past 5 years, I reckon 10 maybe 20 percent could handle the pressure of coaching under the expectations of your program and it's fans. Even using the high number, thats 10 possible guys. Of those, how many would want the job? And of those, how many have proven to be winners over larger than a 5 year sample size like Cal has proven at every stop in his career? Will they be Rick Pitino or Billy Gillespie?

Hell, I despise UK and Cal. I hope whoever you end up with takes that program down the crapper, but I shake my head at the UK fanbase. Like somebody posted a few weeks ago here, 2012 can become 1987 before you know it. Keep playing Russian Roulette, running off winners, eventually it's gonna bite ya in the a$$.
Says the fan of a team that 90% of the fanbase wants their coach gone after a couple of seasons.

Huh? First of all, as long as they were an elite coach, I’d be fine with whoever. Secondly, it’s a dumb hypothetical, because there are no “real” satanists anyway, just a bunch of people with views about religion not unlike you, who think it’s cool to say they practice satanism. So yeah, if there’s a satanist Scott Drew available out there, sign me up.
There are real satanists and there are “spaghetti monster” type activist satanists. Ok, would you be ok with a coach constantly advocating Islam at a state school?

As long as they win at a high level.
Ok. We have different priorities. And again, I only said that was one factor. I think we can get a better coach. If we can’t get Hurley or Donovan or Steven’s or Pearl or Beard or Wright or Pitino and maybe a few more then I wouldn’t bitch about Drew. And yes, I know a few of those are not happening.

The problem with Cal is he had a coaching model that was outdated for the tourney and he absolutely refused to change. His highest priority was getting players in the NBA at the expense of winning games. He would start whomever he had promised to start during recruiting even if not the player who had earned a starting spot.

As an example DJ Wagner was the number one rated player out of high school but was the third best guard on the team but started against Oakland and put up goose eggs.

He was clear I believe that his first priority was players to the NBA as quickly as possible. It worked well for him as an individual and for his players but for UK not so much with a string of tourny fiascos.

I suspect that was who CMW expected to pattern on so not only a losing strategy for Cal but executed much worse than Cal.

For the top programs, doing well in the tourny is very important. Not much in the long term memory about winning a. regular season game against Florida or whomever. Tourny wins wash away sins.

Last edited:
Reactions: sobester

Not a good fit.

Pretty sure Satan loves Kirkwood 😂

The major plus for Drew is that he publicly rejected UL. IF UK hired him it would provide for some great trash talk.

I will be honest. If the coach on a regular basis was talking about, "we were at the church and as I was sacrificing a goat to my beloved Satan he taught me something". A lot of people don't know this but Satanism is all about self. It leads to selfishness. Their main mantra is, "Do what thou wilst". I suspect there are a lot more Satanists in the world even though they don't go to church.

There are real satanists and there are “spaghetti monster” type activist satanists. Ok, would you be ok with a coach constantly advocating Islam at a state school?
What is the definition of constantly? Sometimes people will hear something twice and they use the word constantly because they don't like the message. If a satanist or islamist was coaching IU are they producing good citizens and are they winning? I might not like their message but in America we are supposed to be tolerant.

I will be honest. If the coach on a regular basis was talking about, "we were at the church and as I was sacrificing a goat to my beloved Satan he taught me something". A lot of people don't know this but Satanism is all about self. It leads to selfishness. Their main mantra is, "Do what thou wilst". I suspect there are a lot more Satanists in the world even though they don't go to church.
That’s a Christian view of Satanism. I don’t think that is how Satanist would view it.

What is the definition of constantly? Sometimes people will hear something twice and they use the word constantly because they don't like the message. If a satanist or islamist was coaching IU are they producing good citizens and are they winning? I might not like their message but in America we are supposed to be tolerant.
I just don’t like a representative of a state university constantly promoting their religion in the scope of their representation. I have zero problem with the guy or his religious beliefs. Maybe he won’t do that anyway.

The others are apostates. Every religion seems to have them.
The point is I disagree that the message matters. There is no exception for Christianity in the Constitution. Too many Christians think there is because their beliefs are correct and others or not. As a caveat, what really bothers me is that too many believe that anyone that doesn’t agree with that isn’t aChristian.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT