ADVERTISEMENT

A good political day. Maybe Biden is shaping up to be what many of us hoped. A former cop and repub won big in Aoc's

Also, if you list all the bad anecdotes together, the list appears endless, even when they represent a tiny tiny fraction of a vastly larger number.
And the people using them are the same people that downplayed the actual scary effects of Covid-19

"It's astonishing that he could endorse the bipartisan framework in one breath and then announce he will hold it hostage in the next"
It is also astonishing that Graham, a member of the Senate for 18 years, acts like he didn't understand that this reconciliation stuff was an obvious possibility under the Senate rules.

Graham is correct -- by whining, he does look like an idiot.

Lindsey-Graham.jpg

dude's as creepy as it gets
Well, yeah, I mean Graham gonna Graham, anyway, but more detail about what I was getting at:

The compromise bill is a huge victory for the GOP. It's yet more evidence that it's the job of the Democrats to compromise virtually unilaterally. This is not some in-between measure that looks a little like both proposals. It's effectively a copy of the GOP proposal with a few Dem bells and whistles tacked on.

That's entirely what I expected from the process. Recent history makes two things abundantly clear to me: first, the Dems don't really have what it takes to play hardball, and are always likely to cave, and second, the Repubs do have what it takes to play hardball, and would let the government shut down before they'd cave on anything.

So taking all the progressive proposals that were never going to make it into the GOP Lite compromise, and putting them in a second bill to try to pass* by reconciliation is a strong political move. It doesn't look good to voters like, say, you or Ranger. But let's be honest, the Dems are smart enough to know that any support they can win from you or Ranger is going to be ephemeral, anyway. Pleasing the progressive wing gets them a lot more bang for the buck in the long run.

Anyway, I didn't think the Dems had it in them.

*Edit: remember, passage by no means a guarantee

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Well, yeah, I mean Graham gonna Graham, anyway, but more detail about what I was getting at:

The compromise bill is a huge victory for the GOP. It's yet more evidence that it's the job of the Democrats to compromise virtually unilaterally. This is not some in-between measure that looks a little like both proposals. It's effectively a copy of the GOP proposal with a few Dem bells and whistles tacked on.

That's entirely what I expected from the process. Recent history makes two things abundantly clear to me: first, the Dems don't really have what it takes to play hardball, and are always likely to cave, and second, the Repubs do have what it takes to play hardball, and would let the government shut down before they'd cave on anything.

So taking all the progressive proposals that were never going to make it into the GOP Lite compromise, and putting them in a second bill to try to pass* by reconciliation is a strong political move. It doesn't look good to voters like, say, you or Ranger. But let's be honest, the Dems are smart enough to know that any support they can win from you or Ranger is going to be ephemeral, anyway. Pleasing the progressive wing gets them a lot more bang for the buck in the long run.

Does pleasing the progressive wing get more bang for the buck than pleasing moderates. The progressive wing is loud but I don’t know how numerous when it comes to voters. I’d like to know

Does pleasing the progressive wing get more bang for the buck than pleasing moderates. The progressive wing is loud but I don’t know how numerous when it comes to voters. I’d like to know
I'm not sure about the relative size, but it's more bang for the buck, I believe, for two reasons:

1. The Dems can please the moderates all they want, and still lose a lot of them to the GOP if the GOP comes to its senses and starts running adults for office again.
2. Pleasing progressives brings votes and money. In all honestly, is there any level of shameless pleasing the Dems can shove at the moderate wing that will get you to write them a check?

Good points but, right now, it looks a lot like the Democrats are just pleasing the Republicans. I'll change my tune if the Dems ever get something passed that the Republican leaders say they don't want.

You understand your own link proves you wrong, don't you?
You still need help with reading comprehension. Remember how you argued with me before over a couple days and then finally had to admit you misread it?

Yeah, this is like that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I'm not sure about the relative size, but it's more bang for the buck, I believe, for two reasons:

1. The Dems can please the moderates all they want, and still lose a lot of them to the GOP if the GOP comes to its senses and starts running adults for office again.
2. Pleasing progressives brings votes and money. In all honestly, is there any level of shameless pleasing the Dems can shove at the moderate wing that will get you to write them a check?
no i'm an ahole. i largely vote for self-serving reasons. that's why i've been a dem most my adult life. that said i don't hate/disagree w/ all progressive policies. i'd listen to UBI (tho i don't have a strong enough grasp of economics to evaluate it independently), i support paid maternity leave, child care assistance, and some climate initiatives. incidentally we're hearing sea level rise may have been a contributing factor in the condo collapse. on point. i also support raising min wage. for many of us, i presume, it's not that we necessarily disagree with progressives (tho i do on law enforcement/courts) as much as it is degrees. they go too far imo

no i'm an ahole. i largely vote for self-serving reasons. that's why i've been a dem most my adult life. that said i don't hate/disagree w/ all progressive policies. i'd listen to UBI (tho i don't have a strong enough grasp of economics to evaluate it independently), i support paid maternity leave, child care assistance, and some climate initiatives. incidentally we're hearing sea level rise may have been a contributing factor in the condo collapse. on point. i also support raising min wage. for many of us, i presume, it's not that we necessarily disagree with progressives (tho i do on law enforcement/courts) as much as it is degrees. they go too far imo
I would suggest that most of us, if we had the ability to be honest and objective with ourselves, and completely remove emotion and tribalism from the equation, would find ourselves supporting policies from both major parties, and probably from some of the fringe parties, as well. But I was really just responding re: the politics of it all. I think this was a strong political move by a party that, in my mind, doesn't have much of a history of strong political moves.

It is also astonishing that Graham, a member of the Senate for 18 years, acts like he didn't understand that this reconciliation stuff was an obvious possibility under the Senate rules.

Graham is correct -- by whining, he does look like an idiot.

Lindsey-Graham.jpg

Talk about gaslighting. Of course everyone knew Democrats would attempt another reconciliation bill. What changed yesterday is Biden and company said they would hold the bipartisan infrastructure bill hostage until that reconciliation bill passed essentially tying them together.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
i can't stand graham but agree with him here.
The reconciliation bill is going to be an expensive disaster and Democrats are going to have a hard/impossible time even getting the Democrat votes to pass it. This is an attempt to push moderate Democrats to have to accept it to get infrastructure. No reason for Republicans to help secure that leverage.

At what point will the mounting data showing the only people now getting hospitalized and dying from COVID are the unvaccinated, overcome the hesitancy about emergency FDA authorization (both Pfizer and Moderna have now filed for full FDA approval)?

Anyone saying they wouldn't take a vaccine developed "under Trump" was foolish. And I suspect the concern had more to do about FDA authorization resulting from political arm-twisting. In fact, the opposite occurred and Trump was frustrated that the decision came after the election.
FDA approval is a meaningless stamp.

How's that? I can't believe you mean that seriously/literally. You're involved with pharmacy, are you not?
The FDA didn't approve any of the vaccines before they were given en mass.

So what does it mean?

*Edit: remember, passage by no means a guarantee
I think it is funny how we view the GOP differently. You think they fight hard and force the issue while a growing majority of the commentary on the right (and my opinion) is that their position is almost always "what the progressives want...only just a little less" with one major exception, tax rates.

I read the right wing sites and they were all predicting that this is exactly what would happen when there was an agreement to break the infrastructure bill from the $3.5 trillion insanity the Democrats are proposing. They were saying that dumbasses like Graham do this shit all the time and the Democrats outmaneuver them all the time.

I just wonder at what point you guys believe it is time to stop printing money for your wish lists given we are already in an inflationary cycle and have spent several trillion above our normal couple trillion this past year already. The progressives are the least popular position in this country, but by all means please continue to run on their positions, how long you think those suburban voters are going to be on board while the Democrats print their wealth away?

There is also this:

I stand with the true liberals who, while we still disagree, realize what a threat the authoritarian left presents to this country.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
I think it is funny how we view the GOP differently. You think they fight hard and force the issue while a growing majority of the commentary on the right (and my opinion) is that their position is almost always "what the progressives want...only just a little less" with one major exception, tax rates.

I read the right wing sites and they were all predicting that this is exactly what would happen when there was an agreement to break the infrastructure bill from the $3.5 trillion insanity the Democrats are proposing. They were saying that dumbasses like Graham do this shit all the time and the Democrats outmaneuver them all the time.

I just wonder at what point you guys believe it is time to stop printing money for your wish lists given we are already in an inflationary cycle and have spent several trillion above our normal couple trillion this past year already. The progressives are the least popular position in this country, but by all means please continue to run on their positions, how long you think those suburban voters are going to be on board while the Democrats print their wealth away?

There is also this:

I stand with the true liberals who, while we still disagree, realize what a threat the authoritarian left presents to this country.
Yes yes yes. Dems need to take their party back - get their house in order

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Attempt to flip the script:

wall-flip-failed

Fail
I don’t know how you can support what we’re seeing! Endless spending! Horrible inflation! Govt interference in our lives! Crime rampant from these defund the police fools. Are there any Dems out there strong enough to stand up to the progressives that control your party or do they have to kiss their ring and act like we need trillions more?!!!

WE JUST FLIPPED THE SCRIPT!!!!

Attempt to flip the script:

wall-flip-failed

Fail
And yet, without that response on the table you are left with....Gifs. Good "talk".

Please, someone, anyone explain to me how the government telling the "private corporations", which have been drug before Congress 4 times over the past year, what should be posted on them and who can post it (banned on one, banned on all) is a good thing? No, forget that, tell me how that is not the tech companies acting as an arm of the government? Which would make their attempts to silence opinions what now?

Last edited:
And yet, without that response on the table you are left with....Gifs. Good "talk".
Respond to what? mcm666 and you faux clutching your pearls as you fall to your fainting couch in an effort to distract and project with the "take your party back" bullshit?
When serious discussion happens, I generally just read and learn, or I'll respond in kind...I think you know that. But, bullshit begets bullshit, and that little partner charade got the response it deserved.
Deal with it.

Reactions: UncleMark

Please, someone, anyone explain to me how the government telling the "private corporations", which have been drug before Congress 4 times over the past year, what should be posted on them and who can post it (banned on one, banned on all) is a good thing? No, forget that, tell me how that is not the tech companies acting as an arm of the government? Which would make their attempts to silence opinions what now?
Yeah frightening and that horrible smug tone she took “we know what’s best for you” tone

Reactions: DANC
Respond to what? mcm666 and you faux clutching your pearls as you fall to your fainting couch in an effort to distract and project with the "take your party back" bullshit?
When serious discussion happens, I generally just read and learn, or I'll respond in kind...I think you know that. But, bullshit begets bullshit, and that little partner charade got the response it deserved.
Deal with it.
All joking aside I view the FB issue very seriously. We have two super shitty parties. This is the worst we fear from the Dems. Endless entitlements capturing citizens. Overreaching bs like FB. They want to add thousands of irs agents. Igw is right. You think the billionaires will be hassled. No way. Their shit is too complicated. They’ll send ten thousand stuffshots to hassle small businesses. Throw in the defund the police and woke bs and we may end up with trump round two. God help us all

Last edited:
All joking aside I view the FB issue very seriously. We have two super shitty parties
I think I have said on here before (and if not, I have IRL), that the fact that the best we can come up with to run our country is Biden, or Trump, or HRC is kind of depressing.
That being said, Trump is on a whole different level, and we all need to move on...but, there is only one group "moving on" that is going to make any real difference.

I think I have said on here before (and if not, I have IRL), that the fact that the best we can come up with to run our country is Biden, or Trump, or HRC is kind of depressing.
That being said, Trump is on a whole different level, and we all need to move on...but, there is only one group "moving on" that is going to make any real difference.
I think the Dems are so insane right now that we could end up with trump against Harris - save an indictment. Anyway off to an ID camp. Have fun to today bulk

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
No, the worst threat is one that is allowed to operate in the dark. Trump could not fart in an empty room without it being leaked to the media and discussed for a week straight.

When it comes to the Democrats, the majority of the media has zero interest in pursuing questioning that would be uncomfortable for them to answer and those that do would be dismissed by you because of their political leanings.

And I will also point out that your response in the last paragraph boils down to exactly what I said the response would be in post #103.

Reactions: DANC
No, the worst threat is one that is allowed to operate in the dark. Trump could not fart in an empty room without it being leaked to the media and discussed for a week straight.

When it comes to the Democrats, the majority of the media has zero interest in pursuing questioning that would be uncomfortable for them to answer and those that do would be dismissed by you because of their political leanings.

And I will also point out that your response in the last paragraph boils down to exactly what I said the response would be in post #103.
I disagree with your first 2 paragraphs.

The last one, I will illustrate with a short play.

GOP: All the dems have is Trump.
Also GOP: TRUMPTRUMPTRUMPTRUMPTRUMPTRUMPTRUMPTRUMP!
Dems: Well, okay then, about Trump...
GOP: See, you Trump can't stop Trump talking Trump about him. Move Trump on, already...Trump.
Trump: (Smiles and rubs hands together like a cartoon villain.)

The End (I f'king wish)

Again, based on what? All the available evidence suggests the vaccines ate safe and effective. Do you think the FDA just got lucky?
They are safe and effective. People shouldn't be waiting on the FDA to tell them so before being vaccinated.

I don’t know how you can support what we’re seeing! Endless spending! Horrible inflation! Govt interference in our lives! Crime rampant from these defund the police fools. Are there any Dems out there strong enough to stand up to the progressives that control your party or do they have to kiss their ring and act like we need trillions more?!!!

WE JUST FLIPPED THE SCRIPT!!!!
Tell me how defund the police initiatives from the Biden administration have led to the spike in crime. I'm genuinely interested in specific examples.

Tell me how defund the police initiatives from the Biden administration have led to the spike in crime. I'm genuinely interested in specific examples.
1. I said progressives you said Biden admin
2. Harris’ tweets during the summer of love were in keeping with anti police rhetoric calling cops murderers

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT