ADVERTISEMENT

A Few Thoughts After Minnesota

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
  • Even though the guard combination of Johnson, Phinisee and Galloway played well, hit their shots and contributed to a fluid offense, this dog isn’t going to hunt long term. Coaches like Painter and Izzo will play off them and give them cash bonuses to shoot. Their collective outside shooting is not a strength.
  • If the opposition is going to play off one or more of our point guards or wings, why not run a screening weave and force switches. Does IU not want a switched player to lay off from Parker-Stewart or Kopp?
  • Up until now I’ve wondered if IU had an approach to cooling off a hot shooter. Here think Julian Champagnie or Jonathan Davis. Despite his limitations on offense, Phinisee is the closest thing we have to a glove. He is so much better on defense than any other guard or wing.
  • I note that in the second half IU began switching on all screens up top. Since IU is fairly mobile across all positions, not counting Durr, why not switch? The opposition driving the lane unimpeded just kills adjusted defense on Kenpom.
  • Does anyone have any insight into Tamar Bates? He is underperforming his talent.
  • There have been posts on betting in many other threads. The text written on the board during my first MIT class on probability is "No fun in betting". You accept good bets. You reject bads bets. You don't have to bet every game, i.e. place bad bets. Heart bets eat into your bankroll. The only reason to bet IU is that your analysis is vastly superior to the rest of the betting public.
  • I have lived to see the Red Sox win a World Series. I have lived to see the Cubs win a World Series. The Braves actually won the last World Series (I live in Atlanta). I would actually like to crank back in my chair and be absolutely confident that IU is going to knock down the next 2 free throws. The best I can do right now is queue up Jordan Hulls recordings.

Reactions: kkott
  • Even though the guard combination of Johnson, Phinisee and Galloway played well, hit their shots and contributed to a fluid offense, this dog isn’t going to hunt long term. Coaches like Painter and Izzo will play off them and give them cash bonuses to shoot. Their collective outside shooting is not a strength.
  • If the opposition is going to play off one or more of our point guards or wings, why not run a screening weave and force switches. Does IU not want a switched player to lay off from Parker-Stewart or Kopp?
  • Up until now I’ve wondered if IU had an approach to cooling off a hot shooter. Here think Julian Champagnie or Jonathan Davis. Despite his limitations on offense, Phinisee is the closest thing we have to a glove. He is so much better on defense than any other guard or wing.
  • I note that in the second half IU began switching on all screens up top. Since IU is fairly mobile across all positions, not counting Durr, why not switch? The opposition driving the lane unimpeded just kills adjusted defense on Kenpom.
  • Does anyone have any insight into Tamar Bates? He is underperforming his talent.
  • There have been posts on betting in many other threads. The text written on the board during my first MIT class on probability is "No fun in betting". You accept good bets. You reject bads bets. You don't have to bet every game, i.e. place bad bets. Heart bets eat into your bankroll. The only reason to bet IU is that your analysis is vastly superior to the rest of the betting public.
  • I have lived to see the Red Sox win a World Series. I have lived to see the Cubs win a World Series. The Braves actually won the last World Series (I live in Atlanta). I would actually like to crank back in my chair and be absolutely confident that IU is going to knock down the next 2 free throws. The best I can do right now is queue up Jordan Hulls recordings.
Rob is a 30% career 3 pt shooter, X is 34%. That lineup is fine if people want to leave them open.

The weave wouldn’t do anything other than take the ball out of our bigs hands on more possessions. Minnesota was doubling off of particular shooters, not with particular defenders so even with switches it would not have been Kopp or Stewart’s man doubling.

Agree with Rob’s defense. He is absolutely a shut down defender and if he was 6’6” he would probably be the best defender in the country.

Rob is a 30% career 3 pt shooter, X is 34%. That lineup is fine if people want to leave them open.

The weave wouldn’t do anything other than take the ball out of our bigs hands on more possessions. Minnesota was doubling off of particular shooters, not with particular defenders so even with switches it would not have been Kopp or Stewart’s man doubling.

Agree with Rob’s defense. He is absolutely a shut down defender and if he was 6’6” he would probably be the best defender in the country.
That’s why X and rob get shots. I like when they put Kopp and Stewart on the same side as TJD. It’s harder for the double to come early. TJD played great today. Didn’t force anything. We forced them to even double Thompson at the end. We had an answer today.

I’ve been at my kids bball tourney all day. Saw the score. Made me happy!

But haven’t watched a second of the game yet. Hope to watch it tonight at some point.

Reactions: largemouth
That’s why X and rob get shots. I like when they put Kopp and Stewart on the same side as TJD. It’s harder for the double to come early. TJD played great today. Didn’t force anything. We forced them to even double Thompson at the end. We had an answer today.
Agreed. Hopefully we keep executing well. Our defense is going to keep us in every game. We will win a lot more by knocking down shots!

If teams are going to sag off rp and xj then just run the offense through Parker Stewart. Let him feed the post and run the 2 man game with tjd. Pretty simple

The first time Stewart returned to the game they did get him a shot immediately.

Rob and Xavier made pretty good decisions this game. Shooting and staying patient. That was a big key.

Tamar has a chance to be really good. He is a freshman. No worries. Freshmen are inconsistent.

my thoughts....
1. predictable that Minny ran a tight zone against us after watching the OSU film. Rob and X will have to step up and hit those 3s every time we see it. Minny picked their poison (ie not letting TJD beat them).
2.. low foul count- I saw someone mention in another thread the low Minny foul total. That's what a zone does...not picking up the extra fouls fighting through screens and playing looser on-the-ball
3. Anyone notice Lander in specs and street clothes on the bench? Any word on that? I couldn't tell if he was wearing the infamous walking boot. Also 2 straight DNP-CD for Leal
4. Kopp has to hit more shots or his playing time will continue to diminish now that Trey is back,
5. Concerned about Bates....seems like he's he's completely lost his place while on the court. Both ends of the court, just doesn't look like he's the same player now that he's facing real competition.
6. We're gonna really miss Race once he leaves. Steady below radar contributions. Kinda like Odle from the 2002 team, you don't realize how much they did for the team until they're not on floor. And give TJD credit for not trying to force things yesterday. I'm sure he realized by the second possession that it was Minny's plan to bottle him up.
7. I'll give Race and TJD (and CMW) credit- they've managed to avoid major foul trouble in most every game, while being (for the most part) rather dominant on the boards. Durr doesn't pack the stat sheets and JG isn't getting enough playing time, but their minutes are allowing Race n Trayce to rest some minutes and avoid an extra foul or two each game.
8. Lunardi has us back in as a 9 seed. I think this squad, if the guards can keep getting better, still has the potential to get into the 5-6 seed range. Hold at home and win a few on the road (the next 2 road games are ones we need to get)
9. Overall a good win. Game was a little blah to me....the early weekend games always seem to feel that way. Evening crowds just seem rowdier (maybe it's the booze?) Is that the first game where TJD didn't have at least one dunk? (I don't remember him dunking yesterday).
Purdue escaped in Happy Valley and NW fought OSU tough on the road. Lots of parity in the conference. There are several road wins out there for IU if they can keep their heads for 40 minutes.

Last edited:
my thoughts....
1. predictable that Minny ran a tight zone against us after watching the OSU film. Rob and X will have to step up and hit those 3s every time we see it. Minny picked their poison (ie not letting TJD beat them).
2.. low foul count- I saw someone mention in another thread the low Minny foul total. That's what a zone does...not picking up the extra fouls fighting through screens and playing looser on-the-ball
3. Anyone notice Lander in specs and street clothes on the bench? Any word on that? I couldn't tell if he was wearing the infamous walking boot. Also 2 straight DNP-CD for Leal
4. Kopp has to hit more shots or his playing time will continue to diminish now that Trey is back,
5. Concerned about Bates....seems like he's he's completely lost his place while on the court. Both ends of the court, just doesn't look like he's the same player now that he's facing real competition.
6. We're gonna really miss Race once he leaves. Steady below radar contributions. Kinda like Odle from the 2002 team, you don't realize how much they did for the team until they're not on floor. And give TJD credit for not trying to force things yesterday. I'm sure he realized by the second possession that it was Minny's plan to bottle him up.
7. I'll give Race and TJD (and CMW) credit- they've managed to avoid major foul trouble in most every game, while being (for the most part) rather dominant on the boards. Durr doesn't pack the stat sheets and JG isn't getting enough playing time, but their minutes are allowing Race n Trayce to rest some minutes and avoid an extra foul or two each game.
8. Lunardi has us back in as a 9 seed. I think this squad, if the guards can keep getting better, still has the potential to get into the 5-6 seed range. Hold at home and win a few on the road (the next 2 road games are ones we need to get)
9. Overall a good win. Game was a little blah to me....the early weekend games always seem to feel that way. Evening crowds just seem rowdier (maybe it's the booze?) Is that the first game where TJD didn't have at least one dunk? (I don't remember him dunking yesterday).
Purdue escaped in Happy Valley and NW fought OSU tough on the road. Lots of parity in the conference. There are several road wins out there for IU if they can keep their heads for 40 minutes.
Agree with all of this except that Minnesota wasn't playing a zone. It was man defense but they were just choosing not to guard Rob and X outside the arc so they could stop entry passes to Trace and get quick help when we did get it to him. You are correct that we are going to see this until we consistently make teams pay for that strategy. Rob and Xavier did a good job of being patient and not taking threes early in the shot clock, letting TJD and Race get touches but ultimately, you have to take and make some of those to pry the defense out of the lane. The adjustment both need to make is to think about shooting on the catch with some rhythm instead of letting that be an afterthought, especially later in the shot clock. When they did that yesterday, both were much more accurate than when they hesitated.

I have no problem with Phin and XJ taking good open 3s, in fact, I think they have to and we just have to live with the results, which are likely to be inconsistent but so far has produced OK results. Personally, I don't want Galloway or really even Race to be taking 3s, but that's just me and I think the coaches are OK with either and may be encouraging.

I still wish we'd try and work to get TJD 15+ shots every game. He's so clearly our best player and I still don't think we work to get him the # of shots, like say Iowa did with Garza, even though I think he clearly warrants it.

Bates is a freshman and I always expect peaks and valleys, even with relatively highly rated ones. I think he's going to be fine and will be a mainstay in future years and warrants it. He and the big PG/combo guard next year (forget his name) I think are the prototype for what CMW wants in our backcourt and looking forward to that. This year is a patchwork and I think we did OK adding Stewart, Kopp and XJ. Still not a strong backcourt, but much better than the last couple of years.

my thoughts....
Agree except for Kopp. Kopp is still viewed as a threat from outside. Trey is not. Trey is great as a 6th man off the bench. Parker and Kopp will be our starters. If you noticed trey only took one outside shot and passed the rest. He’s not even looking for it even if he’s open.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
-Rob and X will have to step up and hit those 3s every time we see it. Minny picked their poison (ie not letting TJD beat them).
-if the guards can keep getting better, still has the potential to get into the 5-6 seed range. Hold at home and win a few on the road (the next 2 road games are ones we need to get)
I had spent some time writing out a post after the osu game, but lost it 90% of the way through, and ended up blowing it off. Basically it said:

DEFENSE: Locked in, pushed up against the ceiling in the OSU game. We’ve had some games where we have become lackadaisical for stretches, but either way the D is way away of the offense. IF we stay locked in for 40, we will be in every game. Only thing that really concerns me is we have had a few players with length (that have range), hurt us off the dribble in a few games. Rob is lights out on D, but he’s not tall (though he’s strong as a bull for his size). Perimeter D versus OSU was pretty excellent, need Kopp/X/Stewart to stay locked in. Race/TJD = lethal.

2. OFFENSE: still scratching the surface here. Versus OSU TJD may have pushed up against his ceiling, but our guards, at least as measured by scoring, weren’t much of a factor. Obviously that flipped versus Minnesota, and as you said they picked their poison.

we will continue to see this.

either way, I don’t think our offense is close to being what it can be. There will be games where we score 60 points and TJD has half of them. They’ll be games where we hit 12 plus threes. We WILL have open threes. Like a football team with an elite run game, defenses are helpless against play action pass. We are similarly built. Pick your poison.

You said it, and it’s fairly obvious, guard play will determine the season. Stay locked in. Avoid those lackadaisical stretches. Don’t let physical play, foul trouble frustrate you. Etc.

Agree except for Kopp. Kopp is still viewed as a threat from outside. Trey is not. Trey is great as a 6th man off the bench. Parker and Kopp will be our starters. If you noticed trey only took one outside shot and passed the rest. He’s not even looking for it even if he’s open.
you may be right....since Trey got back, seems the plan is to start Kopp and and he gets his 20 min and some shots. But Trey is getting the minutes in crunch time. He (Trey) still doesn't have an outside shot but he's so much better in transition than Kopp (that's actually an understatement). That spin move underneath on the break yesterday was unreal, I would have snapped my ankles trying to pull off that footwork.

you may be right....since Trey got back, seems the plan is to start Kopp and and he gets his 20 min and some shots. But Trey is getting the minutes in crunch time. He (Trey) still doesn't have an outside shot but he's so much better in transition than Kopp (that's actually an understatement). That spin move underneath on the break yesterday was unreal, I would have snapped my ankles trying to pull off that footwork.
He did against Minnesota because of defense. He threw his best defense per at the 4 minute mark. It’s not that kopp is awful at defense we just didn’t need the three point shooters in. If we are down or close at the end of games I bet kopp and Stewart close out. It’s situational.

Agree with all of this except that Minnesota wasn't playing a zone. It was man defense but they were just choosing not to guard Rob and X outside the arc so they could stop entry passes to Trace and get quick help when we did get it to him. You are correct that we are going to see this until we consistently make teams pay for that strategy. Rob and Xavier did a good job of being patient and not taking threes early in the shot clock, letting TJD and Race get touches but ultimately, you have to take and make some of those to pry the defense out of the lane. The adjustment both need to make is to think about shooting on the catch with some rhythm instead of letting that be an afterthought, especially later in the shot clock. When they did that yesterday, both were much more accurate than when they hesitated.
sorry was family distracted through much of the game. maybe not a zone...a sagging man-to-man to double up TJD upon every post entry pass. Will be interesting to see how Iowa plays defense against us. We played them very well last year and Garza and Weiscamp are gone (although Murray is now the stud and lil Bo-peep is now in his 10th yrs via the Jess Settles plan) Hope we can witness Fran go Defcom 1 a few times.

He did against Minnesota because of defense. He threw his best defense per at the 4 minute mark. It’s not that kopp is awful at defense we just didn’t need the three point shooters in. If we are down or close at the end of games I bet kopp and Stewart close out. It’s situational.
Stewart's main weakness on defense (foot speed) was exploited some yesterday. He racked up fouls quickly in the second half as his man kept driving on him. Matchups like that are where Trey can help. Trust me, I'd like to see Kopp go for 15 a game and hit 3-4 threes every night. Talk lanky guys who can hit from 22 feet really stretch out a defense.

I had spent some time writing out a post after the osu game, but lost it 90% of the way through, and ended up blowing it off. Basically it said:

DEFENSE: Locked in, pushed up against the ceiling in the OSU game. We’ve had some games where we have become lackadaisical for stretches, but either way the D is way away of the offense. IF we stay locked in for 40, we will be in every game. Only thing that really concerns me is we have had a few players with length (that have range), hurt us off the dribble in a few games. Rob is lights out on D, but he’s not tall (though he’s strong as a bull for his size). Perimeter D versus OSU was pretty excellent, need Kopp/X/Stewart to stay locked in. Race/TJD = lethal.

2. OFFENSE: still scratching the surface here. Versus OSU TJD may have pushed up against his ceiling, but our guards, at least as measured by scoring, weren’t much of a factor. Obviously that flipped versus Minnesota, and as you said they picked their poison.

we will continue to see this.

either way, I don’t think our offense is close to being what it can be. There will be games where we score 60 points and TJD has half of them. They’ll be games where we hit 12 plus threes. We WILL have open threes. Like a football team with an elite run game, defenses are helpless against play action pass. We are similarly built. Pick your poison.

You said it, and it’s fairly obvious, guard play will determine the season. Stay locked in. Avoid those lackadaisical stretches. Don’t let physical play, foul trouble frustrate you. Etc.
The biggest concern I have with this team is that we have so many one-dimensional players offensively. Kopp, Leal, and Stewart are very good catch-and-shoot guys but can't beat people off the dribble. Phinisee, XJ, Bates,and Galloway are good off the dribble but can't catch and shoot consistently. Race and Trayce aren't a threat on the perimeter. In order to be hard to beat every night, some of our guys are going to have to develop another piece of their offensive game.

My feeling is that Kopp, Leal, and Stewart aren't athletic enough and don't handle the ball well enough to become legitimate threats off the bounce. They are going to be crowded regularly. That's ok, because you can overcome that to some degree strategically. If you get them in a two-man game with our post guys (or even on the same side of the floor), it's tough to leave them to double the post.

On the other hand, teams backing off of perimeter guys creates real difficulties. That creates easy help in the post, and clogs driving and passing lanes. Those guys (RP, X, TG, TB) are going to have to make enough shots to make teams abandon that strategy. Yesterday, we made enough but we are going to struggle to score consistently until we can do that dependably.

Stewart's main weakness on defense (foot speed) was exploited some yesterday. He racked up fouls quickly in the second half as his man kept driving on him. Matchups like that are where Trey can help. Trust me, I'd like to see Kopp go for 15 a game and hit 3-4 threes every night. Talk lanky guys who can hit from 22 feet really stretch out a defense.
It’s a match up game and he did get exploited. You will see chess matches like that. Kopp is limited but one thing is for sure he’s on the floor for his shooting. Same for Stewart.

The biggest concern I have with this team is that we have so many one-dimensional players offensively. Kopp, Leal, and Stewart are very good catch-and-shoot guys but can't beat people off the dribble. Phinisee, XJ, Bates,and Galloway are good off the dribble but can't catch and shoot consistently. Race and Trayce aren't a threat on the perimeter. In order to be hard to beat every night, some of our guys are going to have to develop another piece of their offensive game.

My feeling is that Kopp, Leal, and Stewart aren't athletic enough and don't handle the ball well enough to become legitimate threats off the bounce. They are going to be crowded regularly. That's ok, because you can overcome that to some degree strategically. If you get them in a two-man game with our post guys (or even on the same side of the floor), it's tough to leave them to double the post.

On the other hand, teams backing off of perimeter guys creates real difficulties. That creates easy help in the post, and clogs driving and passing lanes. Those guys (RP, X, TG, TB) are going to have to make enough shots to make teams abandon that strategy. Yesterday, we made enough but we are going to struggle to score consistently until we can do that dependably.
I don't know why you and so many say that about Kopp. Outside of XJ, no one takes their man more often off the dribble, imho. He's pretty good if he gets by his man and gets a crack, often pulling up or using a little floater. I think it's how he's scored most of his points when I've paid attention to it. But, I don't see Kopp as a "catch and shoot" guy exclusively or even primarily. He's not as quick as XJ, and generally doesn't go all the way to the rim, but he's scoring alot of his points off drives.

I don't know why you and so many say that about Kopp. Outside of XJ, no one takes their man more often off the dribble, imho. He's pretty good if he gets by his man and gets a crack, often pulling up or using a little floater. I think it's how he's scored most of his points when I've paid attention to it. But, I don't see Kopp as a "catch and shoot" guy exclusively or even primarily. He's not as quick as XJ, and generally doesn't go all the way to the rim, but he's scoring alot of his points off drives.
But Kopp isn't scoring much, from three or elsewhere. He doesn't play great defense and he doesn't rebound. Why does he get so much PT when he contributes relatively little? Yes, Kopp tries to take his man off the dribble, but too often he dribbles it into traffic and loses the ball. Yes, he hits a few floaters and occasionally gets by his man, but not consistently and not to too much effect.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
he has (sans yesterday) and looks like his best is a fake/drive pullup jumper on the baseline. He's been really good at the baseline midrange. Not so much pulling up anywhere near the middle of the lane. Not sure why. Shooting can be quirky. I think he'll get some good looks in the next 2 games.

I'll still say we're just a tad better than average.
Could we win one in the tournament..Yes.
Sweet Sixteen.. Might take someone else getting upset early ..Who we would have played..jmo
At this very moment January 10th..The Hoosiers are coming on a bit..

But Kopp isn't scoring much, from three or elsewhere. He doesn't play great defense and he doesn't rebound. Why does he get so much PT when he contributes relatively little? Yes, Kopp tries to take his man off the dribble, but too often he dribbles it into traffic and loses the ball. Yes, he hits a few floaters and occasionally gets by his man, but not consistently and not to too much effect.
I'd be the first to agree, Kopp's not playing as big a role as I expected/hoped, but I was just pointing out, that I don't see him as a catch and shoot guy. I think he as much as anyone has struggled to find his role and can do a lot more, but I just don't think he's been a "catch and shoot" guy when he has scored. I think he's proven he can do more. He and Trey to me are O for D.

We are 5th nationaly and first in the B1G with Kopp playing big minutes. Is this just your opinion or is his efficiency numbers bad? He’s starting for his shooting threat abilities. He’s second in 3p percentage. His defense isn’t that bad.🤦🏻

I think Kopp mostly gets that pull-up off of bad defensive closeouts. He's a good shooter with a good shot fake that can get guys raised up. What I meant is that he does not have the burst to beat a guy off the dribble and get to the rim for an easy score off of one foot. It's not a knock on him, it is just a commentary on his speed. He has a nasty habit of crossing his feet and then raising his butt rather than sliding and dropping it when he stops. Unfortunately that is a common byproduct of the way the game is played these days and certainly not unique to MK. As a former coach it drives me crazy to watch players have so much difficulty sliding their feet and stopping on balance - but that is something that should be taught early ( like middle school) and is a difficult thing to instill in a player by the time he gets to college. Galloway would really benefit from learning to slide his feet as well. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I were Woodson I would make some of those guys watch hours of film of Randy Wittman.

Galloway's forte is being an opponent disruptor. He makes them divert focus. He's handier than an extra shirt pocket in open court transition. He'll keep Stewart and Kopp working hard to start.

Even though he isn't scoring much, he is still the team's 2nd best 3 pt shooter (in total makes and percentage) and plays to space the floor. He's enough of an offensive threat that defense needs to respect it and not fall off him to double the post. Essentially he's in games to make it easier to get TJD touches.

Definitely not a bad loss if Wisky keeps winning. Would have been a huge road win had IU held on.
I keep thinking about the first half offensive efficiency exhibited in that game. Gives me encouragement for the next and maybe the 3rd Game (BTT) with them. Hopeful just can avoid the 2nd half performance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT