ADVERTISEMENT

2021 IU recruiting thread

Time to get a 2021 IU recruiting thread going.......as of now, I am aware of 12 IU offers out for '21:

--Trey Kaufman...........6-7 200 lbs IN 76/74
--Khristian Lander........6-1 160 lbs IN 18/26
--Terrence Clarke.........6-7 185 lbs NH 2/2.....IU not in final 6
--Caleb Faust...............6-8 205 lbs IN 32/37
--Max Christie...............6-6 170 lbs ILL 7/13
--Bryce Hopkins...........6-7 220 llbs ILL NR/NR
--Trey Patterson...........6-7 170 lbs NJ 24/40
--Aminu Mohammed....6-3 175 lbs MO 14/14
--Franck Kepnang.......6-10 225 lbs PA 42/24
--Blake Wesley............6-4 170 lbs IN 89/98
--Logan Duncomb.......6'9" 220 lbs IN 118/NR
--Javonte Brown-Ferguson 6'11" 220 lbs IN MD/Canada NR/NR (May reclassify to '20)
--Carter Whitt.........6'3" 170 lbs....NC.....48/44 (May reclassify to '20)

The #s listed at the end are current 247 & Rivals rankings, respectively

The following have not been offered but have been discussed on here, and are listed as possible future IU offers:

--Luke Goode.............6-5 175 lbs IN 80/NR
--Pierre Thomas.........6-5 170 lbs IN 98/NR
--Jalen Blackman.......6-1 155 lbs IN 106/NR

Of note, right now Rivals only lists only a top 100 for the '21 class.

Of the above, right now it seems that Goode & Wesley are the best bets for an IU offer......Goode already has offers from MD, Butler, Iowa & Xavier. Wesley has no high D1 offers yet. Thomas & Blackman seem like long-shots for IU offers.

I'd like any comments, corrections et al, and will try to keep this updated.

IU not in the final 6 for T. Clarke

Ufo33, thank you for posting that. Nice article.

Interesting that there are few greater Indy players at the top. Nonetheless, a recruiter's job is easy when there is that kind of exceptional talent. And quite a lot of size too. I hope Miller can nab a couple of them.

Ufo33, thank you for posting that. Nice article.

Interesting that there are few greater Indy players at the top. Nonetheless, a recruiter's job is easy when there is that kind of exceptional talent. And quite a lot of size too. I hope Miller can nab a couple of them.
Caleb Furst is now 6'10"

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Time to get a 2021 IU recruiting thread going.......as of now, I am aware of 12 IU offers out for '21:

--Javonte Brown-Ferguson 6'11" 220 lbs IN MD/Canada NR/NR (May reclassify to '20)

The following have not been offered but have been discussed on here, and are listed as possible future IU offers:

Of the above, right now it seems that Goode & Wesley are the best bets for an IU offer......Goode already has offers from MD, Butler, Iowa & Xavier. Wesley has no high D1 offers yet. Thomas & Blackman seem like long-shots for IU offers.

Bryce Hopkins with an unofficial visit to IU this WE....

I might as well post this tidbit here. I ran into Pat Shoulders and congratulated him on organizing Archie's appearance in Evansville. I mentioned how glad I was to see Lander there and how I felt comments made by Archie and Pat could have been messages for Lander's ears.

Pat laughed and didn't deny it. He said they did try to include Lander in the background of videos taken. He also commented on the very positive tweets Lander's mom made during the event.

I told him I was pleased to see the staff and a trustee helping out to make the event attractive to a local 5* recruit. Mention of Calbert and the attendance of AT and how he was a missed field goal away from the Heisman Trophy was good as well. I hope Lander had a chance to meet AT.

Logan Duncomb to have OV this WE at IU, next WE at Wisconsin.

If this kid gets any taller the Knicks will have him before IU does...how old is this kid?

Haven’t heard anything about this guy. Anybody has some info/opinions on him?

UK is now recruiting Kaufman. I don't know if they've offered yet but an assistant visited him and he's scheduled to go on an unofficial visit to their Big Blue Madness on the 12th. I hope his visit really blows him away this weekend.

Last edited:
Time to get a 2021 IU recruiting thread going.......as of now, I am aware of 13 IU offers out for '21:

bump

It appears IU is in a nice position with Patterson, who is now #34 in 247's '21 rankings.

Not only was IU his first OV as a JR, he presently has no others scheduled.

We seemed to be focused on Lander, Wesley, Kaufman, Furst, Patterson & Hopkins right now for'21. If we get Garcia this year, we only have 2 spots for '21 as things now stand.

It appears IU is in a nice position with Patterson, who is now #34 in 247's '21 rankings.

We seemed to be focused on Lander, Wesley, Kaufman, Furst, Patterson & Hopkins right now for'21. If we get Garcia this year, we only have 2 spots for '21 as things now stand.

I've updated the 247/rivals rankings for all the '21 prospects of interest.....the guys I mentioned in the first post are the names I'm reading about now.....I know IU was in decent shape with Mohammed, out of MO...just haven't read anything about him & IU recently.

Of the newer rankings, Hopkin's rise is of interest. I know Illinois is recruiting him hard, as well as Christie.

Goode, an IU legacy, is at 90 & 92, but it appears IU has no room for him. Seems odd that we are after Wesley as hard as we are with our #s crunch.....our staff must believe he is substantially under-ranked.

I thought we had 3 spots for 21. Brunk, Smith, and Durham? What am I missing?

Last edited:
I thought we had 3 spots for 21. Brunk, Smith, and Durham? What am I missing?

Thank you for the correction.....

So, IF we get Garcia, the 2020-21 roster looks like this, assuming no departures:

Phinisee..................6'1".......JR
Anderson................6'7".......JR
Thompson..............6'7".......JR

Hunter.....................6'7".......SOPH
Franklin...................6'4".......SOPH
Jackson-Davis........6'9"........SOPH

Garcia.....................6'11"......FR
Galloway.................6'3"........FR
Leal.........................6'5"........FR
Geronimo................6'6"........FR

With 3 spots open, what is needed?

On the face of it, a true PG and a 5 would seem to be the biggest needs. I don't know if any of the 5s we're currently recruiting are 1.good enough and/or 2.willing to come here. I don't think J-D will be good enough after 2 years to go pro, but if he did the situation would get worse.

So, IF we get Garcia, the 2020-21 roster looks like this, assuming no departures:

On the face of it, a true PG and a 5 would seem to be the biggest needs. I don't know if any of the 5s we're currently recruiting are 1.good enough and/or 2.willing to come here. I don't think J-D will be good enough after 2 years to go pro, but if he did the situation would get worse.
Furst, Lander, Kaufman

Center, PF, PG.

I would make Caleb Furst the top priority and then go after a PG that will stay at least 2 years. Another big guy like Duncan or Kauffman after that. Thompson should be an Ox by then but they still will need height and size as a priority.

Furst, Lander, Kaufman
My son has been a licensed IHSAA ref for several years and he has been working a high school league. His next game is the team Khristian Lander plays on. I wanted to go watch, but they play a team with awful parents that I am told would make watching painful. I'll wait for the real season to start, but I am looking forward to wearing IU gear to watch him.

Phinisee will be a senior during the 2021-22 season when Lander would be a freshman. Durham is currently being slated at the back up PG for the next 2 seasons and he would be gone.

If IU got Lander, they would not only need to start 2 point guards and have no back up, but they would also have (likely) only freshman point guards the following season because Lander will be drafted after one season.

I would argue that unless IU has an opportunity to take 2 PG's in the '21 class, they almost can't afford to take Lander unless he puts them over the top for that one season. It is bad timing. IU needs as PG, but they need one for the post-Phinisee era, not one who will go they way of De'aron Fox.
In the '21 class (frosh 21-22), IU needs size, and a multi-year PG. If Lander can commit to multiple years then bring him on, otherwise it would be wiser to get a 4-star kid who can start as a sophomore.

Phinisee will be a senior during the 2021-22 season when Lander would be a freshman. Durham is currently being slated at the back up PG for the next 2 seasons and he would be gone.

If IU got Lander, they would not only need to start 2 point guards and have no back up, but they would also have (likely) only freshman point guards the following season because Lander will be drafted after one season.

I would argue that unless IU has an opportunity to take 2 PG's in the '21 class, they almost can't afford to take Lander unless he puts them over the top for that one season. It is bad timing. IU needs as PG, but they need one for the post-Phinisee era, not one who will go they way of De'aron Fox.
In the '21 class (frosh 21-22), IU needs size, and a multi-year PG. If Lander can commit to multiple years then bring him on, otherwise it would be wiser to get a 4-star kid who can start as a sophomore.
Lander leaving early is a problem coaches want to deal with. Reload.

I agree. They need a point and a big man. I’d take best available (regardless of position) after that.

Interesting, and possibly another reason (other than having Durham as the back-up PG next year) CAM wanted to get a PG this season as well as in '21.

If we only have 3 scholarships available for '21, I think you have to risk it. There aren't many 6'0" PGs who go to the NBA after 1 year. Also, you can't pass on Lander to take a lesser player. If we have 4 available for '21, a second PG would be wise.....but who would come in the same year as Lander? Probably nobody worth getting......

I'm not minimizing your point....also kinda sucks that we're really not in on a true 5 for '21 that you'd take even Steven with a Furst or Kaufman or Patterson, because the 5 is the bigger need, whether or not we get Garcia.

Last edited:
People are already rationalizing how we’re better off without Lander?! Wow!

He’s not coming here anyway but still, this is crazy talk.
Like they are still trying to win at Dayton or something...

Lander leaving early is a problem coaches want to deal with. Reload.

Who is helping IU more this season, Romeo or Hunter?
Vonleh was in the same situation in that he helped IU be better one season but he left a big hole when he left that was not easily replaceable. Crean snared Bryant somehow afterward but not before a pretty misearable 2015 season that included using Hanner Perea as the pivot man. Miller will not want to be in a situation where he has to rely on a freshman PG like IU did in 95 when Henderson and Evans were studs.

People are already rationalizing how we’re better off without Lander?! Wow!

He’s not coming here anyway but still, this is crazy talk.

He doesn't fit the needs of the team. That doesn't mean he couldn't help them win in his one season.

IU needs a PG in 2022-23 and unless IU signed Lander plus another '21 PG, they would end up starting a freshman on that 22-23 team. That is not ideal. Phinisee did a nice job but I remember poor VJIII getting layed out by a vicious blind screen as he tried to play the point back in 2008-09 as a skinny frosh. It was rough. Yogi had the benefit of VO and Hulls around him. And he was a 5*.

Who is helping IU more this season, Romeo or Hunter?
Vonleh was in the same situation in that he helped IU be better one season but he left a big hole when he left that was not easily replaceable. Crean snared Bryant somehow afterward but not before a pretty misearable 2015 season that included using Hanner Perea as the pivot man. Miller will not want to be in a situation where he has to rely on a freshman PG like IU did in 95 when Henderson and Evans were studs.
Better recruiters can fill those spots immediately. They tell the next kid that they can play immediately and they can be like the guy before them that went to the NBA.

Reactions: hondo314
He doesn't fit the needs of the team. That doesn't mean he couldn't help them win in his one season.

IU needs a PG in 2022-23 and unless IU signed Lander plus another '21 PG, they would end up starting a freshman on that 22-23 team. That is not ideal. Phinisee did a nice job but I remember poor VJIII getting layed out by a vicious blind screen as he tried to play the point back in 2008-09 as a skinny frosh. It was rough. Yogi had the benefit of VO and Hulls around him. And he was a 5*.
Most likely we will have a new coach with all new players and focus by 22-23. You’re looking way too far in the future imo.

Reactions: beenther1s
ADVERTISEMENT