ADVERTISEMENT

2013 Air Force Defense.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
In 2013, while being ran by our new DC, Air Force had possibly the worst defense in the country. Like Kevin Wilson bad. The team finished with a 2-10 record. They had 40+ dropped on them about every game. They gave up an AVG of 490 yds a game. While allowing teams to complete 72% of their passes and rush for 5.1 ypc. Warrens defense also only had 4 interceptions. Just a mind blowing hire considering all the proven options that wanted to come here. Allen is getting way too much love over one season where we lost a bowl game to a team with a losing record.

In 2013, while being ran by our new DC, Air Force had possibly the worst defense in the country. Like Kevin Wilson bad. The team finished with a 2-10 record. They had 40+ dropped on them about every game. They gave up an AVG of 490 yds a game. While allowing teams to complete 72% of their passes and rush for 5.1 ypc. Warrens defense also only had 4 interceptions. Just a mind blowing hire considering all the proven options that wanted to come here. Allen is getting way too much love over one season where we lost a bowl game to a team with a losing record.

And if he turns out to be a good hire, are you gonna come on here and tell everyone that you were wrong?

I highly doubt it.

It is worrying that his defense was so bad in 2013. However, how was his defense the year before? Did they just lose a lot of starters and cherrypicking his bad year?

There is context that could explain the bad year.

Also, that was going on 8 years ago and he doesn't get to choose the defense here.

Reactions: vesuvius13
So a guy is not successful in his first job he should never get another chance? Do you know what the injury situation was like. How was the experience on the team? Was the offense not able to stay on the field? Looking at stats is not the end all be all. You need to look at everything.

Personally, Mike Tressel's resume was more appealing to me. But I think Warren has a pretty strong resume. His defense was not good that year, but he was co-coordinator for a bunch of good defenses before that at Air Force. His secondaries have always been good, and his last two jobs he worked under some of the best defensive minds in the country, so I am not even sure the Air Force is that relevant anymore. At the very least, Allen has an elite recruiter which is why I think he got the job. If Allen has to be more involved with the defense, I am sure he will. I am much more concerned about the offense than the defense.

Personally, Mike Tressel's resume was more appealing to me. But I think Warren has a pretty strong resume. His defense was not good that year, but he was co-coordinator for a bunch of good defenses before that at Air Force. His secondaries have always been good, and his last two jobs he worked under some of the best defensive minds in the country, so I am not even sure the Air Force is that relevant anymore. At the very least, Allen has an elite recruiter which is why I think he got the job. If Allen has to be more involved with the defense, I am sure he will. I am much more concerned about the offense than the defense.

Reading between the lines, he wasn't the main DC prior to '12. He was in '12 & '13 when the D declined.

He's been on the staff of 5 different programs in 7 years, 4 in the last 4. Always as a DB coach at most (ie..cornerbacks coach at Florida).

It's a very questionable hire, imo.

Who were these proven options you know were willing to come hear? And how in the hell do you know that?

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
Sure will.
Please, you rag on program in good times or bad, it’s in your DNA, just own it!

And per saying “he had a bad year in 2013, how did (fill in blank)so many coaches do in 2013? People have pointed out Fitzgerald at NU and Alvarez at Wisc both started slow, may have had less than stellar years where a team they coached regressed or didn’t improve much. Peoe who run programs, of which you are not one, don’t normally look at one selective year, now 8 years ago, as the basis for his hire.

The people criticizing his moving around, how can one say going from TN, to FL to GA is going backwards? Or coaching a 1st team All-American? Or landing 1 5-star (#4 player in US) and 5 4-stars over 2 yrs.

Allen is still the HC and knows the defense cold. Maybe he likes the leadership skills, the shared LEO mentality that probably makes him an effective recruiter, and he saw a coach on the rise that he wants to bring in and yes, HELP him get his next HC job too!

You & your other few IU hater fans love to micromanage and second guess, and maybe it comes from not having an ability to see a bigger picture than what usual suspects think. Tom Allen has his own view and to most, his plans are working pretty well.

Please, you rag on program in good times or bad, it’s in your DNA, just own it!

And per saying “he had a bad year in 2013, how did (fill in blank)so many coaches do in 2013? People have pointed out Fitzgerald at NU and Alvarez at Wisc both started slow, may have had less than stellar years where a team they coached regressed or didn’t improve much. Peoe who run programs, of which you are not one, don’t normally look at one selective year, now 8 years ago, as the basis for his hire.

The people criticizing his moving around, how can one say going from TN, to FL to GA is going backwards? Or coaching a 1st team All-American? Or landing 1 5-star (#4 player in US) and 5 4-stars over 2 yrs.

Allen is still the HC and knows the defense cold. Maybe he likes the leadership skills, the shared LEO mentality that probably makes him an effective recruiter, and he saw a coach on the rise that he wants to bring in and yes, HELP him get his next HC job too!

You & your other few IU hater fans love to micromanage and second guess, and maybe it comes from not having an ability to see a bigger picture than what usual suspects think. Tom Allen has his own view and to most, his plans are working pretty well.

He got demoted by the Head Coach. lol, you people are nuts.

You are an idiot. Ever hear of Mel Tucker? He was the DC of the number 32 ranked out of 32 teams defense in 2013 and 2014. He went back to college and coached in great defenses, learned from others and is now HC at MSU. It doesn't matter what happened at AFA. Ever get in a job situation where there was no way you could succeed? Should people who have one bad job experience (particularly when you got that job without much experience) sentence you to a certain level for the rest of your career? You and Mushroom King are idiots.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It’s not like the guy is flying solo. He has Allen. Allen will explicitly let the guy know what he wants. Not concerned. The biggest boost is southern recruiting. I think he can make a difference there.
The biggest reason our defense was really good throughout the year was due to a bunch of southern kids playing all over the field. The talent level was simply better.

so I am not even sure the Air Force is that relevant anymore.
My Marine friends would say it never was.
Speaking of that, why do you think the Coast Guard never put together a team? Army Knights, Navy Midshipmen, Air Force Falcons, Coast Guard Rescuers? I don't think they taught us enough about the Coast Guard growing up in Indiana. They're like amphibians to me. I understand reptiles and mammals, but I'm not sure why we have amphibians.

You complain about absolutely everything.

You are an idiot. Ever hear of Mel Tucker? He was the DC of the number 32 ranked out of 32 teams defense in 2013 and 2014. He went back to college and coached in great defenses, learned from others and is now HC at MSU. It doesn't matter what happened at AFA. Ever get in a job situation where there was no way you could succeed? Should people who have one bad job experience (particularly when you got that job without much experience) sentence you to a certain level for the rest of your career? You and Mushroom King are idiots.

Well....the jury is very definitely still out on Mel Tucker as a head coach. 5-7 at Colorado, 2-5 at MSU. So maybe that's not the best example you could find.

This also reminds me of Mike Locksley at Maryland. Great OC at Alabama under Saban's thumb. Questionable future as a college football HC after failing miserably at New Mexico in his previous life.

The WKU DC that went to South Carolina would have been a home run hire. We should have immediately went after him.
Well if you say so, with all your football coaching experience, it must be so. Who am I to question the football acumen of you, mushroom, and fk ? After all, I know Saban consults you three about his staff hires every time he has openings.

Well if you say so, with all your football coaching experience, it must be so. Who am I to question the football acumen of you, mushroom, and fk ? After all, I know Saban consults you three about his staff hires every time he has openings.
I think we should fire CTA and hire these experts to coach. They seem to have more football knowledge.

Reading between the lines, he wasn't the main DC prior to '12. He was in '12 & '13 when the D declined.

He's been on the staff of 5 different programs in 7 years, 4 in the last 4. Always as a DB coach at most (ie..cornerbacks coach at Florida).

It's a very questionable hire, imo.

And yet CTA hired him..

What do you think his motivation was? Especially if what some have said is true and other "more qualified" candidates existed?

In the end, it is CTA's ass on the line. I don't think he would bring someone in that didn't bring significant skills to the job.

Allen is more about “his guys” than the “right guys.” He also wants to take lots of chances on people because that’s how he got here. I get it. But does he want to be a consistent 7-5 coach or does he want to win a Big Ten Championship?

And yet CTA hired him..

What do you think his motivation was? Especially if what some have said is true and other "more qualified" candidates existed?

In the end, it is CTA's ass on the line. I don't think he would bring someone in that didn't bring significant skills to the job.

I think he was concerned about recruiting given Hart's departure.

Reactions: red hornet
Allen is more about “his guys” than the “right guys.” He also wants to take lots of chances on people because that’s how he got here. I get it. But does he want to be a consistent 7-5 coach or does he want to win a Big Ten Championship?
This is so far from being right. If you think CTA does not want to win BIG championships just shows your lack of knowledge of CTA.

What are you talking about?

We lost one game, by 7, to the big 10 Champs, who happened to go onto the national championship game.

Where do you get that he doesn't want to win big 10 championships? You are literally just throwing #$^& at the wall and hoping it sticks at this point.

Is it possibly Allen still runs the defense more than we know and so having a recruiter at DC isn't going to be that big of a deal?

We know Allen has the scheme set that he wants for the defense.

He says the DC will be in charge of gameplanning and playcalling but i have a feeling he will be giving his input, especially if the defense isn't performing well.

Reactions: red hornet
You have no idea what coach Allen wants or what he thinks about anything. As a previous poster noted, just more poo on the wall from someone who has the emotional maturity of a seven-year-old.

You are so negative about IU and need to leave this board and find a team to root for.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT