ADVERTISEMENT

Observations Akron Game

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
1. Usually We find a key play in the late stages of the game or a momentum changing turnover. I'll give You one that isn't that obvious. The pass McCully dropped at the Akron 20 Yard Line when He was wide open in the first half. If He catches the ball cleanly and scores on the play, the Offense gains confidence and quite likely plays better the rest of the game.

2. What is the fascination with running the option into the short side of the field? The option is designed to force the Defense to play in space and spread the field. When You run it to the short side the sideline effectively becomes anothe defender. It just isn't IU. I don't know how many times I have see a team run the play and the QB gets within 5 Yards of the sideline and can't turn up the field and pitches the ball to the back trailing him by several yards and almost standing on the sideline. The back has nowhere to go at that point.

3. Three interceptions, one returned for a TD, one returned inside the 5, and the other returned to decent field position near midfield. Yet We only get the 6 points on the one return. Good teams capitalize on those situations and put their opponent away.

4. Two more turnovers on downs near the Goal Line. Accept the fact that this line can't power block, and stop running power plays into a stacked defense. We need to pose the threat of a pass to loosen up the Defense. This is what We should have done with McCully in at QB. Rather than running Him inside on the same play twice in a row.

1. Usually We find a key play in the late stages of the game or a momentum changing turnover. I'll give You one that isn't that obvious. The pass McCully dropped at the Akron 20 Yard Line when He was wide open in the first half. If He catches the ball cleanly and scores on the play, the Offense gains confidence and quite likely plays better the rest of the game.

2. What is the fascination with running the option into the short side of the field? The option is designed to force the Defense to play in space and spread the field. When You run it to the short side the sideline effectively becomes anothe defender. It just isn't IU. I don't know how many times I have see a team run the play and the QB gets within 5 Yards of the sideline and can't turn up the field and pitches the ball to the back trailing him by several yards and almost standing on the sideline. The back has nowhere to go at that point.

3. Three interceptions, one returned for a TD, one returned inside the 5, and the other returned to decent field position near midfield. Yet We only get the 6 points on the one return. Good teams capitalize on those situations and put their opponent away.

4. Two more turnovers on downs near the Goal Line. Accept the fact that this line can't power block, and stop running power plays into a stacked defense. We need to pose the threat of a pass to loosen up the Defense. This is what We should have done with McCully in at QB. Rather than running Him inside on the same play twice in a row.
Amen on point #2! I feel like I'm the only person noticing this. Why do so many coaches do that? When a regular Joe Football Fan like me can see the obvious futility in that play design, why do they keep running it?

I have the same maddening frustration with 3rd or 4th and inches scenarios, with handing off to a back 5 yards deep (or worse yet, starting it all from the shotgun) and taking several seconds to develop, when you can just run a sneak with the QB under center.

With regards to running the option to the short side of the field the issue isn’t the sideline being an added defender (It is not). Rather, running to the short side is almost always a numbers game, i.e, less defenders. It has been a staple for option attacks for years.

At the end of the day, the offense we show on the field doesn’t look like any Walt Bell offense he has ever been a part of. Even at Maryland when they were down to their 4th string QB. Whatever offense is on the field, whomever is responsible for it (in whole or part), that offense has zero identity and a bad OL. Are there some decent plays? Yes, for sure. But this offense is not a system— it is a collection of plays without the typical constraints you would normally see in an offensive system.

With regards to running the option to the short side of the field the issue isn’t the sideline being an added defender (It is not). Rather, running to the short side is almost always a numbers game, i.e, less defenders. It has been a staple for option attacks for years.

At the end of the day, the offense we show on the field doesn’t look like any Walt Bell offense he has ever been a part of. Even at Maryland when they were down to their 4th string QB. Whatever offense is on the field, whomever is responsible for it (in whole or part), that offense has zero identity and a bad OL. Are there some decent plays? Yes, for sure. But this offense is not a system— it is a collection of plays without the typical constraints you would normally see in an offensive system.
Last night was the first game I have attended in a couple years and I have all sorts of (uneducated) thoughts about the game.

W.r.t. the offense, it seemed to me like we tend to rely on the deep ball a little too much in the passing game. We don't have a line that can send a (fast) but my size guy into the interior, and we rely on way to slow to develop option place to get outside the tackles.

Something has to change. The team I saw last night is going to be hard pressed to win another game this year. That Akron team wasn't very good and we should have lost.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The Bostad hire hasn't paid dividends like everyone here said it would. At this point, Rod Carey's work with the oline looks much superior to anything Bostad has done. Rod improved their play immediately upon Hiller's firing last year!!

"Without the typical constraints...." All I see is constraints!!

Option can work but only if the QB proves they will keep the ball and turn up field. Tayven almost always pitches and the defense knows it and just keys off Lucas.

One play he pitched to Lucas in space with zero blockers in front and 4 or 5 defenders waiting. I don’t care who the running back is, they aren’t beating that many unblock defenders.

It was nice to see them take some deep shots last night but some of the situations they took them were a bit head scratching.

On the Lucas standing alone in the end zone. How is he not in the read progression. Every other team I’ve seen run that type of play has the RB in that progression.

Sitting in the stands, this game felt just like last years Idaho game. By the second half the number of fans looking back at the press box just befuddled by Bells play calling was noticeable. Allen needs to take off the earmuffs and blinders on his OC.

What does a “deep review” of the offense accomplish? It is befuddling to me that this would be said after 4 games. My goodness with all the coaches, video and the results on the field, what is the value of this statement?

Reactions: Bucket Getter

The highlight of the game for me was at the beginning of the OT. Someone in our group caught a t-ehirt and threw it back! Dolson was standing 10 feet from where it landed. It was priceless!

If Allen doesn't insist that Bell be fired at the end of the season, Allen should be fired. That offense is bad but made worse with the stupid calls made by Bell. Use that extra money from the new TV deal and get a staff made of winners. Bell has a history of losing.Anyone surprised he was available ?

I felt bad for Akron. I've never, never wanted an opposing team to win. I felt they played better, coached better, and their effort was far superior to ours.

What,s with our players on the sideline? Are they not allowed to clap or cheer on their team? They stand there like rocks. They don't clap, move, talk to each other or react when a player comes off the field. Bizarre! I can only wonder if they felt the frustration from the crowd or were frustrated themselves.

Many don't know there is a post game radio show. Bikoff is having a hard time filtering what he says, but the other guy is urging fans to stay positive in a condescending way. My message is STFU, this is my 50th year of IU football since my first game at 9 years old. I've seen enough crap teams to know another crap team. This time I blame the coaching staff. Bad preparation, bad game management and no accountability. I have seen every minute of this season in person. I am glad to take a break.

Gotta have 8-9 plays that neutralize the LOS if the OL is not being affective blocking. Even in the present timeline I perceive TJ and Sorsby =. In other words I'd start BS next game. If things are still iffy flip a coin and reevaluate when Williams is READY for duty.
Losing faith in Bell unless he adapts now with the same thought process that last play came from. But he's fast approaching becoming Hiller of the OC's.
Rod Carey is in the 'on deck' if Coach Allen gets bold and pulls the trigger. Pretty sure RC has more seasons as OC than Bell.
For the 1st time since Lynch my head is shaking a bit.

You know that a coach is done for when his team is getting boo’d repeatedly and fans are yelling to fire him from the bleachers, all of which was going on in my section last night.

We actually tried a QB sneak at the goal line with the RB running into his back to try and get a push forward but our OL is so weak they were completely stonewalled.
But, I’m sure Borstad will figure it out. He’s an OL genius.

• Sad
The Bostad hire hasn't paid dividends like everyone here said it would. At this point, Rod Carey's work with the oline looks much superior to anything Bostad has done. Rod improved their play immediately upon Hiller's firing last year!!

"Without the typical constraints...." All I see is constraints!!
Constraints are plays/concepts that the offense employs to counterattack the defense’s anticipated reaction. For example, the defense is always pressuring, a constraint is a draw play or a screen. Isolated plays that are built into offenses that offset defensive adjustments. But you can’t build an entire offense out of, in this example, screens or draws.

Do
The highlight of the game for me was at the beginning of the OT. Someone in our group caught a t-ehirt and threw it back! Dolson was standing 10 feet from where it landed. It was priceless!

If Allen doesn't insist that Bell be fired at the end of the season, Allen should be fired. That offense is bad but made worse with the stupid calls made by Bell. Use that extra money from the new TV deal and get a staff made of winners. Bell has a history of losing.Anyone surprised he was available ?

I felt bad for Akron. I've never, never wanted an opposing team to win. I felt they played better, coached better, and their effort was far superior to ours.

What,s with our players on the sideline? Are they not allowed to clap or cheer on their team? They stand there like rocks. They don't clap, move, talk to each other or react when a player comes off the field. Bizarre! I can only wonder if they felt the frustration from the crowd or were frustrated themselves.

Many don't know there is a post game radio show. Bikoff is having a hard time filtering what he says, but the other guy is urging fans to stay positive in a condescending way. My message is STFU, this is my 50th year of IU football since my first game at 9 years old. I've seen enough crap teams to know another crap team. This time I blame the coaching staff. Bad preparation, bad game management and no accountability. I have seen every minute of this season in person. I am glad to take a break.
Do you trust Allen to hire another offensive coordinator?

On your point #2......I understand the "it's a #s game" thinking but I agree with your criticism. When it does work, it almost invariably goes for only 5 or 6 yards because the TB runs out of room. Then everybody says 'damn, if he a little more room that could have gone somewhere'. I think it's one of those 'conventional wisdom' things you see in every sport or business that nobody challenges. Like 'prevent defense' where you've bottled up a team the whole game and then let them march down the field for the winning TD in the end. See IU v. Illinois last year for a great example.

You know that a coach is done for when his team is getting boo’d repeatedly and fans are yelling to fire him from the bleachers, all of which was going on in my section last night.

We actually tried a QB sneak at the goal line with the RB running into his back to try and get a push forward but our OL is so weak they were completely stonewalled.
But, I’m sure Borstad will figure it out. He’s an OL genius.
I've resisted the Crean comparison all along because I thought it's such a slam........but........isn't whatever success TA's achieved primarily a result of his enthusiastic intensity? That goes a long way, but at the end of the day you still have to be competent or you lose the team.

Look at the long-term success had by the most boring person in the world, the Iowa coach........Proof that it's better for players to be bored than exhausted.

Last edited:

Agree, boundary side options are usually numbers based. However, when the strength of your pitch guy is electric quickness and some speed, I think I might give him the open field side to see if, in that vast openness, he can make some guys miss and be gone before the rest of the defense can get there, even if the numbers are less favorable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT