ADVERTISEMENT

2/3+ of Americans favor 2% wealth tax!

We have created a situation where using wealth to create more wealth is easier and safer than ever before. I believe this is the root of the top 1% problem we see. I do not know if the wealth tax is the best solution, but it is a possible solution to money flowing uphill and pools.

Edit flows to flowing

We just need to go back to higher individual income tax rates. The wealthy already get a real tax break as they no longer contribute to social security after $137k. Yeah I know in theory you are supposed to get it all back but social security funds other programs than just retirement.

Not shocking at all. Jealous and envious people in both parties.
Jealous of what? I've never seen anything to suggest that the extremely rich are any happier than average Americans.

I think most people just see it as a simple issue of fairness. If a handful of people are going to hoard most of the money, it's fair that they get stuck with most of the bill.

Jealous of what? I've never seen anything to suggest that the extremely rich are any happier than average Americans.

I think most people just see it as a simple issue of fairness. If a handful of people are going to hoard most of the money, it's fair that they get stuck with most of the bill.
I think that everyone knows that the uber rich are hoovering up the vast gains from the huge productivity increases we have seen over the last 40 years. It is not only unfair that the vast majority pay all the costs and get none of the benefits. It also has catastrophic effects on our democracy.

We have created a situation where using wealth to create more wealth is easier and safer than ever before. I believe this is the root of the top 1% problem we see. I do not know if the wealth tax is the best solution, but it is a possible solution to money flowing uphill and pools.

Edit flows to flowing

An improved and significantly better solution than the guillotine (clean up on platform # 4) or the other options that history might show us.

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...del-great-leveler-inequality-violence/517164/

They are stuck with most of the bill already.

Here's what i know... during the last recession the U.S. govt bailed out a whole bunch of fat cats who took big risks and failed. Not only did those fat cats not lose their jobs, but rather they have been rewarded hand over fist. They prospered as our fellow Americans lost their homes. Corporate welfare at its finest. Was the U.S. govt, and by extension the American public adequately repaid?

Meanwhile those same corporate fatcats, who by extension of their financial capital control political capital, promote immigration policies intended to lower American wages, while putting more money in their own pockets.

When the rules of the road are rigged, it's quite understandable when the public wants payback.

Raise the highest individual rate to 45% and budget within our means.

I agree on raising the highest rate and maybe even adding more. With your experience, how much have the pass through cuts hit the revenue side? I have not yet found anything that really dives into this. I have to believe it’s a big number.

Not shocking at all. Jealous and envious people in both parties.
Jealousy and envy are important factors in our politics but not in the ways many imagine. Those who are most concerned about their relative status are those in the middle and below. They are not as concerned about gaining status as they are about losing it (being losers). Bailouts for rich people aren't great but those don't create any potential loss in status. What is really threatening are benefits that might help those who are below. Those benefits create risk of a loss of status.

Jealousy and envy are important factors in our politics but not in the ways many imagine. Those who are most concerned about their relative status are those in the middle and below. They are not as concerned about gaining status as they are about losing it (being losers). Bailouts for rich people aren't great but those don't create any potential loss in status. What is really threatening are benefits that might help those who are below. Those benefits create risk of a loss of status.

IMO, most people are not envious nor do they want someone else’s stuff. What the majority of Americans want is fairness. A rigged system based on crony capitalism undermines the basic fabric of American individualism. It’s reasonable to look at the wealth inequality curve and ask how did we get here.

IMO, most people are not envious nor do they want someone else’s stuff. What the majority of Americans want is fairness. A rigged system based on crony capitalism undermines the basic fabric of American individualism. It’s reasonable to look at the wealth inequality curve and ask how did we get here.
I just don't think that we can understand our politics without accounting for preferences for status.
We got here principally because liberals refuse to understand or cater to a basic fact. The white lower middle class would rather be poorer and preserve their status than be richer and risk losing status.

No, they aren't. Between the capital gains rate and sleazy accountants (soon to replaced replaced with software) they only pay a pittance relative to what they take.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxCoke
Ignores the fact that they’ve failed or are failing in every country that’s tried them.

The point of my post wasn't to debate the relative merits of the wealth tax. The point was that it's shocking that a majority of Republicans could possibly support that. This isn't the party of 1980.

Reactions: IUAPEX
IMO, most people are not envious nor do they want someone else’s stuff. What the majority of Americans want is fairness. A rigged system based on crony capitalism undermines the basic fabric of American individualism. It’s reasonable to look at the wealth inequality curve and ask how did we get here.[/QUOTE

Hear hear.

It's also reasonable to look at the OP and say it's not about taxes but a measure of of unrest that occurs when examining a pay stub.

Nothing adds to that unrest like a supposed billionaire standing in front of the American people, shrugging his shoulders and saying that he doesn't pay taxes because of how smart he is. How that wasn't the spark that incinerated the gaseous blimp is well above my pay grade.

Reactions: Bill4411
Many US states had wealth taxes for years, we just call them property taxes. So in the US there has been some success.
Not exactly the same and they're mostly done on the local level for a reason. Wealth taxes are very costly to enforce at the national level and that is one of the reasons nearly every country that has tried them has gotten rid of them.

Reactions: 76-1 and hoot1
Last edited:
Not exactly the same and they're mostly done on the local level for a reason. Wealth taxes are very costly to enforce at the national level and that is one of the reasons nearly every country that has tried them has gotten rid of them.

Which is why I prefer taxing investment income identical to earned income, up to and including FICA.

I agree on raising the highest rate and maybe even adding more. With your experience, how much have the pass through cuts hit the revenue side? I have not yet found anything that really dives into this. I have to believe it’s a big number.

The 20% pass through deduction is enormous. I don’t have numerous clients making multi million dollar profits. I can think of one right off hand that it probably saved $1.5 million in federal taxes.

Top 10% earn almost 48% of gross income and pay a little over 70% of the income taxes.

That doesn't seem terrible does it. The bottom 30% or so would be forced to pay taxes instead of pay rent, buy food, healthcare. We could tax them more, but then we just have to pay more in w welfare.

Reactions: MaxCoke
No, they aren't. Between the capital gains rate and sleazy accountants (soon to replaced replaced with software) they only pay a pittance relative to what they take.

Software isn’t replacing accountants, sleazy or otherwise.

I’ve spent my 35 years trying to comply with the tax laws and have lost numerous clients because I refuse to push the envelope where they want to go.

For the ones that want sleaze that will do anything we have one in town. His practice seems to be thriving.

Edit this sleazy CPA has been working all day. Don’t have time to research it but I believe the top 5% pay most of the taxes.

Last edited:
That doesn't seem terrible does it. The bottom 30% or so would be forced to pay taxes instead of pay rent, buy food, healthcare. We could tax them more, but then we just have to pay more in w welfare.
Bottom 50% of earners pay almost no income taxes and I'm not looking to raise taxes on them and I'm not against a higher rate for upper tax brackets. However, a wealth tax, the subject of the thread, isn't going to work. I'm for eliminating income taxes completely and going to a national sales tax (VAT) on everything. That way we get revenue from everyone in the country - US citizens and residents, foreign visitors, illegal residents, etc. The lower income people would get a rebate (quarterly or yearly) to make it progressive.

Bottom 50% of earners pay almost no income taxes and I'm not looking to raise taxes on them and I'm not against a higher rate for upper tax brackets. However, a wealth tax, the subject of the thread, isn't going to work. I'm for eliminating income taxes completely and going to a national sales tax (VAT) on everything. That way we get revenue from everyone in the country - US citizens and residents, foreign visitors, illegal residents, etc. The lower income people would get a rebate (quarterly or yearly) to make it progressive.

How do you capture foreign purchases? Didn't we try a yacht tax which moved yacht purchases to Mexico. A quick Google shows the words "not for sale in US waters" popular with yacht sellers.

How do you capture foreign purchases? Didn't we try a yacht tax which moved yacht purchases to Mexico. A quick Google shows the words "not for sale in US waters" popular with yacht sellers.
That luxury tax was yet another ill-advised tax. However, it is possible to tax yachts if it's going to be licensed and berthed in a US port. It's no different than buying expensive items on an overseas trip, there are customs to pay upon reentry to the States. If you buy a BMW in Germany you will have to pay taxes on it when you bring it back to the States.

Reactions: 76-1
I do agree that taxing all income equally would be a good starting place. Preferential tax treatment for capital gains favors only those who invest in stocks. That ain’t poor folks. I’d also repeal the tax cuts to pass throughs. If you want to be a c Corp, you can do that.

I do agree that taxing all income equally would be a good starting place. Preferential tax treatment for capital gains favors only those who invest in stocks. That ain’t poor folks. I’d also repeal the tax cuts to pass throughs. If you want to be a c Corp, you can do that.
I've been investing in the stock market since I was poor. I recommend it. Start with mutual funds. If you can do a 401K, do it.

Go watch the special on Bill Gates (I think it is called “Inside Bill’s Brain), and tell me that you think all he is do is hoarding his wealth. He, along with Buffett, are donating virtually their entire estate, to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. What they are doing within that organization to improve lives everywhere is far greater than what the govt could even begin to think about with the same dollars.

Go watch the special on Bill Gates (I think it is called “Inside Bill’s Brain), and tell me that you think all he is do is hoarding his wealth. He, along with Buffett, are donating virtually their entire estate, to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. What they are doing within that organization to improve lives everywhere is far greater than what the govt could even begin to think about with the same dollars.

That’s great that some wealthy people are also really great humans. But we also have others who rip off charity foundations and have to take classes on how not to grift. Rich people are like the rest of of us in certain ways, including that some are good and some are assholes.

I have a great deal of admiration for what Gates and Buffet have done. But it is also true that vast wealth has been used for absolutely terrible purposes as well. For example to block government action on critical infrastructure and public goods. This includes decades of blocking action on controlling tobacco, blocking action on climate change, funding all manner of anti-social organizations. Looking at only the few good cases without considering all the dreadful ones is cherry-picking. Consider a thought experiment. Would you rather have the government figure out what to do with a billion dollars or just give that billion to some random yahoo and see what they would do with it? If I wanted to see something good get done with that billion I wouldn't give it to the random yahoo.

Reactions: Bill4411
LOL... So let's just give ALL the money to zillionaires and TRUST them to solve all our problems!

What about Trump. He says he's worth over $10 billion. What amazing, selfless things has the self-proclaimed "King of Debt ever done for society with his fabulous wealth?

How about Wilbur Ross? Steve Mnuchin, Betsy DeVoss and her vile brother, etc?

LOL... So let's just give ALL the money to zillionaires and TRUST them to solve all our problems!

What about Trump. He says he's worth over $10 billion. What amazing, selfless things has the self-proclaimed "King of Debt ever done for society with his fabulous wealth?

How about Wilbur Ross? Steve Mnuchin, Betsy DeVoss and her vile brother, etc?
For the small bit that billionaires give to good causes one should consider the vast expenditures spent on temples to their own vanity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT